Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 06:28 AM
The fruit of their lions
View Posts: 1,752
Unhappy Mum dies for Jehovah

Mum dies because she wouldn't accept blood transfusion

This news made me quite sad today upon reading it.

I don't believe blood transfusions existed thousands of years ago, so I can't help but feel there is some misinterpretion on this part on 'consumption of blood'. Jehova Witnesses are automatically declared outcasts from their faith if they have blood transfusions. They believe God forbids them from accepting willingly – and that to do so is a sin. They say the proof is contained in Bible passages including Genesis 9:3-4, which commands: “Only flesh with its soul - its blood - you must not eat.”

I am a blood donor, and I willingly give blood to help save lives, but I felt terrible that this woman could have been easily saved by the current technology and medical advances we have today if not for those beliefs. While it's an admirable stand of faith on her part, the fact is that two babies have been left motherless, and that it's them that have lost out the most. I believe at times like this that religious beliefs should probably be overruled as well if it's absolutely vital to save a life (or more) in cases like this.

What do you guys think? A stand for personal belief, or a terrible decision that has robbed two babies of a mother all for the sake of religion?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Nothing really mattress
Send a message via Skype™ to Awkin
View Posts: 5,584
Re: Mum dies for Jehovah

I think it's her decision. If you think about it it's a pretty... creepy thing to have done anyway, having someone else's blood flowing in your veins.

I don't think she will have done this lightly -- and if what she believes in is more important than defying that and looking after her children, then it's entirely her decision. I don't think it's our place, or the newspaper's in any way to pass judgement on the subject. It was her decision to make.

#3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 06:58 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Hombre de Mundo
Steam ID: Hombre_de_Mundo

View Posts: 13,669

She had two babies?! Wow... If a mother chooses her own death in front of making sure her kids have a great childhood, growing up and all the happiness that comes with it, something's defiantely wrong. Hasn't she heard of the mother instinct? Nonono, it's so wrong!

And even though awkin makes a good point that it was her decision... she has a little something called responsibility for 2 infants, something that shouldn't been taken lightly. If she was very sick or depressed and commited suicide, that would've been more ecceptable. But she just ditched her kids for some idiot rule. I wonder if her fellow Jehiva's Witnesses members are going to say: "Oh how great, praise the lord!"

This is why religion sometimes suck.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Fighter of the Nightman.
View Posts: 8,893

Quote:
I think it's her decision. If you think about it it's a pretty... creepy thing to have done anyway, having someone else's blood flowing in your veins.
I don't think its creepy at all.

Some people should really think for themselves rather then obey a teaching that has been misinterpreted.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Yo yo, Snake dawg
View Posts: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagias View Post
Mum dies because she wouldn't accept blood transfusion
While it's an admirable stand of faith on her part, the fact is that two babies have been left motherless, and that it's them that have lost out the most. I believe at times like this that religious beliefs should probably be overruled as well if it's absolutely vital to save a life (or more) in cases like this.

What do you guys think? A stand for personal belief, or a terrible decision that has robbed two babies of a mother all for the sake of religion?
Admirable? I wouldn't call it admirable, there are a baby boy and a baby girl out there that are now going to grow up without a mother, all because of what a Bible passage might say.

Really, I'm almost (emphasis on the almost, it's just a suspiscion of mine) tempted to say it was an act of selfishness. If she had the transfusion, so she could be a mother to her children, then surely Jehovah would be understanding of this (would she really believe in such a horrible, callous god that would prefer her to die than to live and raise her children?) and would not punish her for receiving a transfusion.
By not receiving the transfusion, she seemed to be fearing more for her relationship with her god (i.e. her own needs) than for the futures of her children and her husband (and the rest of her family), who would inevitably be forever scarred by her death.

I realise that probably sounds harsh, but it's just truly sad that two babies have now lost their mother thanks to a religious belief, a belief that is based on a particular interpretation of one Bible passage.

The Return... Of Dr. Octagon!
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Ojos rojos
View Posts: 695

Interpreting the Bible to prohibit blood transfusion is as bad as interpreting the Koran to encourage acts of terrorism, in my opinion. Freedom of religion applies to what an individual believes, but the line is crossed when the person acts on those beliefs in a harmful way.
They shouldn't have given her a choice, really- it was assisted suicide. She would have probably been thankful later, and if not, nuts to her, her children need a mother.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 12:10 PM
COOLEST NOOB RUNNER UP SPRING 2004

View Posts: 5,517

I just think some people's view of religion are too stretched out.

Some people take things way to seriously. That's why I'm not really religious. I'm a Christian, but I kind of follow my own path, so I can stay open-minded and not have to worry about confrontations.

It's a shame that she didn't realize the good of the people donating the blood..

[03:53] <+kazan> .8ball will the Cubs win a world series in Asci's lifetime?
[03:53] <&UB2R-B0T> ...LMAO
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Hombre de Mundo
Steam ID: Hombre_de_Mundo

View Posts: 13,669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazan View Post
Some people take things way to seriously. That's why I'm not really religious. I'm a Christian, but I kind of follow my own path, so I can stay open-minded and not have to worry about confrontations.
Exploring religions is a great way of gaining knowledge, wisdom and whetever. I'm all for religious views, but it's a shame when the people that once gained insight from religion turn narrow-minded and only see the details instead of the whole picture.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Nothing really mattress
Send a message via Skype™ to Awkin
View Posts: 5,584

I'm sure things like this happen every day, only not on religious grounds.

In the end, if we take religion out of the picture, it was her decision to make and she obviously thought that death was the preferable option.

We know so little about the actual case, we could refer it to terminal cancer: People rather die than undergo the keimotherapy that could allow them to live. It's the same thing, illness and cure -- which isn't desirable.

#10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Link is hanging from my pamp qwitch!

View Posts: 13,410

that is so sad, butyou can look at it a few ways-
if she had takent he transfusion, she would have gone on with life hating herself, because in her mind, she just commited a terrible sin, and what kind of example is that to her young children, and having to go through life depressed and worried about your afterlife. (silly i know- but put yourself in her shoes), also- i don't know what the j-dubs believe about the afterlife, but she might never be able to see her children ever again in the afterlife if she took the transfusion. so what's better- being in their lives while on earth for a finite amount of time, or a blissful eternity with them on the other side? maybe in her mind, she was committing the ultimate noble deed.

I don't agree with it, but I can put myself in her shoes.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 12:59 PM
REEEE-DICULOUS!
View Posts: 2,752

Horrible story, and completely unnecessary.

Noscreenname made a brilliant point about assisted suicide, and I completely agree with everything he/she posted.

I think it's completely ridiculous for a woman to refuse a life saving blood transfusion for the sake of a couple of lines in an ancient text - especially when there are children involved. When I first read the article I was genuinely quite angry toward the mother for making that decision, although after spending some time to think, I wonder how much of a choice she really had?

Sorry if I'm stepping on anybodys toes here, but Jehovah's Witnesses as an organisation aren't well renowned for being non-judgmental and compassionate in their affairs. I wonder what kind of situation the woman would find herself in if she had accepted the transfusion?

It boggles the mind that there are still people who think like this. This is the same group who have an 'any day now' attitude to a small thing like ARMAGEDDON. How many false alarms have we had already? I wouldn't look to this kind of doctrine for advice on how to raise a cat, never mind tips on medical treatments.

Float your tragic.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 PM
broken
View Posts: 1,784

By following the Bible and not accepting a blood transfusion, she committed a far greater sin - she left her two infants alone in the world. I doubt God would smile upon somebody for that. It's all about choosing the lesser of the two evils. If you can't tell one from the other, then you shouldn't be following such strong religious beliefs in the first place, and you should most certainly not be a mother.

#13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 03:19 PM
weee!

View Posts: 10,229

I knew some Jehovah's Witnesses. They don't celebrate holidays. Not even birthdays... It's really sad.

I asked a Jahovah's Witness what they believed, and they said they didn't know, they only do what their parents do, or what they learned, they don't think for themselves. At least, the ones I talked to.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 03:38 PM
sitting strong
View Posts: 409

I'm going to agree with Awkin and whoever else that has said it was her choice alone. While I don't personally agree with her reasoning, she felt she was making the right decision, and it was ultimately her call. All of us can try to objectively debate over the ethics of it, but it really doesn't make a difference. Also this:

Quote:
i don't know what the j-dubs believe about the afterlife, but she might never be able to see her children ever again in the afterlife if she took the transfusion. so what's better- being in their lives while on earth for a finite amount of time, or a blissful eternity with them on the other side? maybe in her mind, she was committing the ultimate noble deed.
Her intentions were probably for the best, which should at least count for something.

Besides, these kids still have their father and extended family. You guys are acting like they've been orphaned. It's not nearly the atrocity you're making it out to be.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 04:05 PM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 22,126

It was her choice, and I wouldn't have taken that from her.

That said, this is horrible. I'm appalled that someone would, essentially, commit suicide because their religion told them to. It's a horrible waste, and should never have happened.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Boo.
View Posts: 6,832

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpoultry
I knew some Jehovah's Witnesses. They don't celebrate holidays. Not even birthdays... It's really sad.
I'm not sure exactly what that's all about, but I wouldn't call it sad. We could all do just fine without trivial holidays.

Quote:
I asked a Jahovah's Witness what they believed, and they said they didn't know, they only do what their parents do, or what they learned, they don't think for themselves. At least, the ones I talked to.
The same could just as easily be said for any religion. The majority of religious people were exposed to religion mainly through their parents. That's how I felt as a christian, personally.

Now, as for this mother. Personally, the thought of a blood transfusion isn't appealing to me. To save my life, however, I'd do it without a second thought. I don't particularly care what religious views this woman had. Being alive to support your children takes so much precedence over religion.

That's all there is to say, as far as I'm concerned.

Last Edited by Aex; 11-05-2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Zora Warrior
Send a message via AIM to felix
View Posts: 354

I can't believe this! It's nice she had such a passion for her religion, but this is going to far. I wonder if she would have changed her mind if she knew she were going to die.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 04:43 PM
A BEING HERR GEEK
View Posts: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpoultry View Post
Um, I had a post, did it get deleted??
Yes. It was spammy, especially concidering this is Serious Business. If you feel it was unjust, send me a pm. Or another mod, if you feel I am biased.

Maloney made this sigg. Peefy is cool.
I've adopted Shinji
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 04:45 PM
weee!

View Posts: 10,229

Eh, I guess it was a bit. My apologies. ^_^
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Banned User
Send a message via Skype™ to Lysis
Steam ID: lysate 3DS ID: ❤❤❤❤ if I'm gonna write down this whole damn thing, PM me or something.
View Posts: 19,713

It's a pretty bad assumption and misinterpretation that they would compare blood transfusion with blood consumption. The reason Jews weren't allowed to consume blood was probably for their own protection against blood transfered diseases.

I wonder if they follow all of the Jewish law that seriously. Most Christian groups don't, because of the New Testament saying that the old laws no longer apply the way they did then, or something like that.

Tags
dies, jehovah, mum