Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-13-2006, 04:10 PM
<ans> Cyprus <ans> is offline
famouton
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ar Lan Y Môr
View Posts: 1,534
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

Obviously the won't be friends, or share the same views. After all, they were running against eachother in presidential elections. One is a Democrat and the other is a Republican, remember? I doubt they're gonna get together at the end of the day to have a beer and watch the game. Give me a break.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Bill Bill is a male United States Bill is online now
Am I the only person ____?
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
View Posts: 10,516
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
I dont think he is Joking. Him and Bush arent exactly friends.
Exactly. Which only further suggests he was making fun of Bush, not the troops.

It's not like Bush has never mispoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzBvyxFQIdo
__________________

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-13-2006, 05:53 PM
<ans> Cyprus <ans> is offline
famouton
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ar Lan Y Môr
View Posts: 1,534
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek 84 View Post
Exactly. Which only further suggests he was making fun of Bush, not the troops.

It's not like Bush has never mispoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzBvyxFQIdo
Thank you for that.

Just type in Bush on youtube and tell me you still support him Bluefox. When you see how stupid this man really is, honestly tell me that you're behind his policies.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Bill Bill is a male United States Bill is online now
Am I the only person ____?
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
View Posts: 10,516
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andross View Post
Funny, how he tried to take back what he said and tried to explain that it was aimed towards Bush.

Yeah, a little too late, pal.
Have you read anyone's posts? The evidence highly suggests that his comments were intended to be aimed at Bush from the beginning. If you consider that partisan hackery, fine, but you're only fooling yourself if you truly believe Kerry meant to make fun of the military.

The Republicans tried to blow it out of proportion to sway the election in their favor. Fortunately, it didn't turn out that way.
__________________

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-13-2006, 08:56 PM
KnightWing United_States KnightWing is offline
Hylian Knight
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Texas
View Posts: 778
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
Here is the context, according to this article:
Holy misunderstanding, Batman! I just got "KA-POWED"!

I thought you meant "look at the situation" (that being that he was at a university), not "read the entire speech". I guess I should've.

Eh, it still looks bad. I think he was trying to make a joke about Bush, but it came out looking halfway like a stab at the armed forces. I still don't understand why he made the joke about overall education rather than just leaving it at "do your homework", though.

Do your homework + Bush + Stuck in Iraq = "Bush didn't do his homework" .... anti-Bush/Iraq War stab
Overall education + Bush + Stuck in Iraq = "Bush had a bad education".... ???


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
What difference does it make? I couldn't care less if he honestly served proudly or not, and I think it's sad that people need to be in the army to be president.
It's partially because the President is the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces (seriously, if he wanted to, he could suit up and get out there on the front lines), and many people feel that he should have experience with the military before he holds that position.
__________________



Bring back the Wii in black!!
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-14-2006, 08:02 PM
DekuQueen DekuQueen is a female United States DekuQueen is offline
Amanda Mullins
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Over there.
View Posts: 10,922
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

This whole situation, in a nutshell, was a complete mistake on both parties. Kerry should of been more careful when he spoke if he was interested in gaining favor of more people, and it shows he just didn't take the time to do so, on such a touchy matter. He apologized, but unfortuneately, people [the soilders in Iraq] probably still are very irritated regardless.

However, there's absolutely no reason to get your pants in a bundle about this. While I don't consider myself a republican yet, (mainly because I feel I still don't have enough political knowledge) I didn't take it personally. Then again, people too often look at the political party the person sides on, rather than the issue at hand or the person themself.

All this is, was a spark that lighted a mudslinging fest. This wasn't the first time a president said something that came out completely wrong.

People, use your common sense and ask "Did Kerry really mean to insult the soilders?" He had no reason to - it would gain him nothing.
__________________

my website | deviantart | tumblr | zu art thread | blogger || avy/sig art © Amanda Mullins

hey hinkle-vinkle, eat ze armpit ja!?
Last Edited by DekuQueen; 11-14-2006 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-14-2006, 09:24 PM
BlueFox BlueFox is offline
Haha Freaks!
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the ceiling
View Posts: 886
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

Okay, what I dont get is how you guys can stand up for this#$@%%^%$^ when what he said was the most ignotant thing I have ever heard a politician say. Any one who sees my point of view would probably agreee with me.
__________________

My BA characters
Lothreian/ Samen/Quasar / Havane / Exodos
/ Jaxes Weapons Master, and Faze rock Beast
Been off playing Tribal Wars.... lol, probably none of you (except Quark) remember me but Im Back.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-14-2006, 09:37 PM
DekuQueen DekuQueen is a female United States DekuQueen is offline
Amanda Mullins
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Over there.
View Posts: 10,922
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

Quote:
Any one who sees my point of view would probably agreee with me.
The thing is, your point of view is limited to just that. While I completely agree that it was utterly ignorant what he said, it still doesn't give a sturdy ground for someone to critizise him on. If you are going to attack someone, or say why you dislike something they said, it's better to use less silly mistakes as the factor. By using this as your crutch to say Kerry is an ignorant hooligan, doesn't make you look much more intelligent. It's an elementary and ineffective way of attacking someone.

So, if someone is to prove their point in a more effective manner - do so without going for the blatantly obvious stuff. Mudslinging isn't worth tollerance.
__________________

my website | deviantart | tumblr | zu art thread | blogger || avy/sig art © Amanda Mullins

hey hinkle-vinkle, eat ze armpit ja!?
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Jeff Jeff is a male United States Jeff is offline
10 years is here!!
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Buffalo, New York
View Posts: 12,280
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

DekuQueen hit on the major point; there's nothing for him to benefit from by bashing the troops. Realize that last election, an aspect about him that a lot of people really liked over Bush was that he had served in the military. There is simply no logic is saying that he went into that lecture planning to say something along those lines, especially when he knows how bad the media and the American people are when it comes to jumping on a controversial statement.

This was simply Kerry ripping off Howard Dean by spitting out something that he had no time to think about and said it in the way he felt sounded the best in those split moments. The only differences is that Howard Dean's moment of fame was much funnier, and instead of a badly worded joke, he screamed like a coyote.
__________________
Echoes of Light: Book 1 of the Luminous Legend
A high fantasy book that doesn't switch character perspective every chapter? That doesn't feature done-to-the-death Elves, Dwarves and Orcs, but brand new races? And is heavily inspired by The Legend of Zelda? You might want to check it out! Kindle version only $.99, print version OUT NOW
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Young Gun United Kingdom Young Gun is offline
Tabula Rasa
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ecosse
View Posts: 645
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

Cleary, Kerry's comments have been taken out of context. I completely agree with Mirren. What would he gain from insulting the armed forces?. However Mr Kerry should choose his words more wisely next time as its very easy to offend people these days. Even so, I see no reason to focus on one slip of the tounge, then make a judgment on someone because as previously mentioned there are web pages dedicated to, quite frankly jibberish statments, uttered by the people in charge such as George Bush and Donald Rumsfeld (points at sig).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
What difference does it make? I couldn't care less if he honestly served proudly or not, and I think it's sad that people need to be in the army to be president.
I'm afraid I must disagree. I believe that money is the way to secure you place in the running of the country NOWADAYS. Perfect example: Arnold Schwartzaneger(sp).
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-18-2006, 09:15 AM
BlueFox BlueFox is offline
Haha Freaks!
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the ceiling
View Posts: 886
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

Yeha, but what is there to beneifit in any of what he meant. He was made to apologize personally on three seprate stations. That means he ment something.
__________________

My BA characters
Lothreian/ Samen/Quasar / Havane / Exodos
/ Jaxes Weapons Master, and Faze rock Beast
Been off playing Tribal Wars.... lol, probably none of you (except Quark) remember me but Im Back.
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-18-2006, 09:41 AM
John John is a male Canada John is online now
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
View Posts: 22,006
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

Not at all. What it means is that he was given a 'trial by media' and forced into either apologizing or being ridiculed for the rest of his political career. He was forced to apologize for what people thought he said, not what he actually said.
__________________
...Those who defy it, glory!

Public Key ID: 057420A1
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-18-2006, 12:14 PM
BlueFox BlueFox is offline
Haha Freaks!
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the ceiling
View Posts: 886
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

So you guys are for Kerry? Im against him. John is not the kind of person to apologize if he didnt mean anything. Media trialed or not.
__________________

My BA characters
Lothreian/ Samen/Quasar / Havane / Exodos
/ Jaxes Weapons Master, and Faze rock Beast
Been off playing Tribal Wars.... lol, probably none of you (except Quark) remember me but Im Back.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-18-2006, 01:06 PM
John John is a male Canada John is online now
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
View Posts: 22,006
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

To be honest I'm not for any of the American parties, they're both pretty far right. However, in this case Kerry was forced into confessing for something he didn't do, and that isn't right.
__________________
...Those who defy it, glory!

Public Key ID: 057420A1
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-18-2006, 03:04 PM
BlueFox BlueFox is offline
Haha Freaks!
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the ceiling
View Posts: 886
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

I kinda like Bush. But thats it. What do you mean by he was forced to Apologize? Who forced him? I just brought up the matter because I didnt know what happened really.
__________________

My BA characters
Lothreian/ Samen/Quasar / Havane / Exodos
/ Jaxes Weapons Master, and Faze rock Beast
Been off playing Tribal Wars.... lol, probably none of you (except Quark) remember me but Im Back.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-18-2006, 04:08 PM
KnightWing United_States KnightWing is offline
Hylian Knight
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Texas
View Posts: 778
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

He was forced meaning that people started bashing him left and right, criticizing the fact that he didn't apologize after offending millions of people. He had to either apologize or lose his good name forever (though that's kind of already happened now).
__________________



Bring back the Wii in black!!
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-18-2006, 05:09 PM
John John is a male Canada John is online now
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
View Posts: 22,006
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWing View Post
He was forced meaning that people started bashing him left and right, criticizing the fact that he didn't apologize after offending millions of people. He had to either apologize or lose his good name forever (though that's kind of already happened now).
Yes, but see, they were offended over something that he didn't say. Or rather, he did say it, but they're growing angry over it when it's taken out of context and applied to a different person/group then what he applied it to.

It's like you saying that criminals should be put in jail, and then someone demands that you apologize for insulting Jews. If you did it quite clearly wasn't your intent, so why should you apologize for it?
__________________
...Those who defy it, glory!

Public Key ID: 057420A1
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-18-2006, 05:11 PM
BlueFox BlueFox is offline
Haha Freaks!
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the ceiling
View Posts: 886
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

I think my ss teacher said that was called national insult. Dont know why though( sarcastic tone).
__________________

My BA characters
Lothreian/ Samen/Quasar / Havane / Exodos
/ Jaxes Weapons Master, and Faze rock Beast
Been off playing Tribal Wars.... lol, probably none of you (except Quark) remember me but Im Back.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Mad Hatter Canada Mad Hatter is offline
Mad as an adder
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 45.5° North, 73.7° West
View Posts: 2,505
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
So you guys are for Kerry? Im against him. John is not the kind of person to apologize if he didnt mean anything. Media trialed or not.
Did you bother to read his apology, or do you just take it for granted that he apologized? If you did bother to read it, you'd notice that his apology is more along the lines of "I'm sorry you misinterpreted what I said," than "I'm sorry I made fun of the military." The people who should apologize are the ones who have been taking his joke out of context to make themselves look like a victim. Obviously it was a dumb joke, and obviously he didn't present it well. I'm not a fan of Kerry (though I voted for him), and I think it's depressing that out of all the Americans out there, these are the ones we have selected as our top choices. Nevertheless, I try to judge each candidate fairly. If Bush had made a comment like this, would you hate him?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-18-2006, 08:19 PM
KnightWing United_States KnightWing is offline
Hylian Knight
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Texas
View Posts: 778
Re: John Kerrys comments on Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDwarf View Post
Yes, but see, they were offended over something that he didn't say. Or rather, he did say it, but they're growing angry over it when it's taken out of context and applied to a different person/group then what he applied it to.

It's like you saying that criminals should be put in jail, and then someone demands that you apologize for insulting Jews. If you did it quite clearly wasn't your intent, so why should you apologize for it?
Oh no, I wasn't implying that he meant to offend anyone, but merely that he did (accidentally).

I also didn't say that he should have apologized, but that he was almost forced to. (Though I'm a believer in the idea of apologizing even if it's an accident. If you bump into someone, you still apologize even if it was an accident.)
__________________



Bring back the Wii in black!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comments, education, john, kerrys


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 PM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -