Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2006, 04:32 AM
Elihwa sekat gnidaol... tiaw
View Posts: 414
Re: Dogs popular on Chinese dinner plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoria
Heh, I just found another way to word my theory. Eh hem-

I find it wrong to eat another species that can be very close to an intelectual equal to that of my own. Yay for me and getting far better wording this time.

That is all for now.
Some people eat octopus, which has been shown in experiments to be on the intellectual level (or even possibly surpassing) of dogs. But people don't complain about people eating octopus.

Sorry, just pointing that out.

| LJ | Fanfics | dA |
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2006, 09:33 AM
The Castle of Sins will fall!
Send a message via ICQ to Hayden Jenz
View Posts: 1,517

Quote:
I'm not interested in your personal food preferences.
Let's put it this way. I'M CHINESE. WE'RE DISCUSSING ME AND MY PEOPLE'S EATING HABITS. 'Kay?

Quote:
I think you're taking this way too personal. I´m not interested and don´t want to discuss the whole chinese culture and this thread is only about how they think about certain animals as food and or pets etc.
I'm taking this 'personally' because you're crticizing what my family (as in extended, as in all of China) chooses to eat without taking into consideration as to WHY. And if you don't want to discuss the whole Chinese culture, then have a mod lock this thread, because food and food choice is a large part of their society. But then again, I don't expect you to know that.

Quote:
I think you´re being a ass hole by taking this way too personal and thinking I´m against everything of chinese culture which is nonsense. I'm not talking about chinese culture as a whole. This thread is only about how chinese view dogs as pets and, or food and that they eat 20 million dogs a year.
Aw, he thinks I'm an ass hole! *rolls eyes* Read above.

Quote:
Nowhere in that article does it say that Europeans eat or ate sharks. Only that there is a ban by the European Union on fishing fleets on slaughtering sharks for their fins which are then exported to Hong Kong, the most significant market in Asia for that stuff.

Additionally Europeans don’t eat many of the things you mentioned such as snakes, dogs, cats, worms etc.
Nice double-post there. And generally, you don't need bans on things that don't happen. You ban something because it's happened before or you know it happens. So no, it wouldn't be a large assumption that Europeans eat 'gross' food (notice the apostrophes).

Quote:
As the article says. Shark meat is considered of little value as it is tough to eat. The reason why the European Union banned the slaughtering of sharks for their fins is because it has been blamed to push some species close to extinction.
Have you ever eaten shark? I have, and it's not at ALL tough to eat. In fact, it's the complete opposite. It's tender, but slightly chewy... And DELICIOUS. I've seen pictures and such that oppose killing of shark, but as much as I felt bad, it's TOO GOOD!

Quote:
What you don't realize and I've stated this before is that "Yeah, Chinese eat these things all the time, lol" that was a joke and not supposed to be taken seriously. That's why I added the lol in the end.
You don't joke about things that could offend someone. Unless you know this person and are merely kidding around -- neither of which circumstances are in play here.

Quote:
Heh, I just found another way to word my theory. Eh hem-

I find it wrong to eat another species that can be very close to an intelectual equal to that of my own. Yay for me and getting far better wording this time.

That is all for now.
Wow, you must be really stupid... Heh, only kidding, dude. Um, LOL. *rolls eyes* And yeah, like Snowsilver said, many other animals are as smart as or more so than dogs, yet people eat them anyway. Why? 'Cause people don't keep octopi as pets. It's the mentality that dogs are meant to be domesticated animals that keep PETA (ugh) around.

Sig and avy done by myself.
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubez
As the article says. Shark meat is considered of little value as it is tough to eat. The reason why the European Union banned the slaughtering of sharks for their fins is because it has been blamed to push some species close to extinction.

The practice of 'shark finning'...may contribute to the excessive mortality of sharks to such an extent that many stocks of sharks are depleted, and their future sustainability may be endangered," the EU said in its Official Journal.
Like Hayden said, what you have said is not true at all. I've fished small sharks near the sea several years ago and they were never considered as "of little value as it is tough to eat". In fact, it's completely the opposite.

Finally, the article is stating the word "may", that means, even the article itself is making assumptions that have not been proven yet more or less. Look: "may contribute to the excessive mortality of sharks to such an extent that many stocks of sharks are depleted, and their future sustainability may be endangered," the EU said in its Official Journal.

It's their own assumptions of what might have happened or will happen, which, is probably not true at all. Regardless of the extinction problems, so do the other fish in the seas, yet you don't see them going: "oh yeah, they are closed to being extinct, so let's ban all imports of related fish from world market". You are stating and looking at things in a very enclosed way.

I just want to repeat this: some dogs were bred to be made into meals, while others were bred to be house pets and so on. I find it nothing wrong to eat dogs that were bred specifically for such purpose, although I have never eaten dog meats before and probably will never have. And no matter how you said we shouldn't take things personally about making fun of Chinese's way of eating their foods, it is a form of inconsideration for your own personal amusement.
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Rocker
View Posts: 394

I really don't see why this is "Serious."

If dogs were an endangered species, I would be against it. But, combining my hate for dogs with the very fact that we eat parts of pigs and cows and different animals (frogs? I used to have pet frogs. I liked them very much. I think they grew to like me, before they died. We still eat frogs, right?), I really don't see why this is so bad. I mean, it's not like people are killing your pet dog and eating them! The Chinese are fine, doing this. I mean, some people might think that eating cows is wrong, too!

Well, maybe it's just me. I never liked dogs. In fact, I've hated them for most of my life.

Still, out of my sympathy for dog lovers, once the animals become endangered, I'll re-think this post.
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Sage of Wisdom
Send a message via AIM to Alexander
View Posts: 1,306

Not much of a big deal really, they are probably breed to be eaten there or something. This has probably come up a few times "Dogs are pets", well so are rabbits' and everybody eat them.
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Goron
View Posts: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden Jenz
Let's put it this way. I'M CHINESE. WE'RE DISCUSSING ME AND MY PEOPLE'S EATING HABITS. 'Kay?
Quote:
I'm taking this 'personally'
LIKE I SAID BEFORE YOU SHOULDN'T TAKE THIS SO PERSONAL.

You're taking this personal because you're too stupid to understand what I've said over and over that this thread is not about the whole culture of china. But only about the fact that they eat 20 million dogs a year and how they see them as food, pets.

You're way over reacting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
Finally, the article is stating the word "may", that means, even the article itself is making assumptions that have not been proven yet more or less.
The killing of many sharks, cutting of their fins and throwing the rest of their bodies back into the sea does contribute to the decline of shark populations. There are more articles about this such as this one:

Every year, some 100 million sharks are killed, says conservation group Wild Aid. Hong Kong alone imported the fins of 28 million sharks in 1999.

The actual numbers killed may be much higher. Some shark populations have declined by 90%, says Wild Aid. The hammerhead and great white – of Jaws fame – are especially endangered.

Unlike many other fish, sharks reproduce slowly. They take years to reach sexual maturity – 30 years for the sand bank shark. Some sharks only produce two young in a breeding cycle. Depleted shark populations take a long time to recover, if they can recover at all.

http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/stor...&sec=lifefocus
Last Edited by Cubez; 05-13-2006 at 01:07 PM. Reason:
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Banned User
Send a message via Yahoo to Mrs Ganondorf
View Posts: 2,193

All I know is that chow-chows are very popular in China or they used to be.
I have had a chow-chow and could never consider eating someone I got so close to.
I think... Unless there was a famine. Because many people are averred to eating what they have made their pets is because of the emotional attachment to them, I think. That's natural I guess.
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 652

Well, I'm american and I just as opposed to eating dogs as cows and pigs. Pigs are smarter than dogs anyway, or very nearly to it. All I can vouch for is my personal opinion, and I'd say that as an American I wouldn't have an issue with it. Or rather, I would, but only because I also refuse to eat red meat and pork.

My Art Studios: www.klewstudios.com
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2006, 02:38 PM
UneBelleLilas UneBelleLilas is a female United States UneBelleLilas is offline
There's a party in my tummy, so yummy, so yummy!
View Posts: 821

Considering that dog has been in the Chinese diet for quite some time, you all need to get over it.

I'm in the house.
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2006, 04:40 PM
The Castle of Sins will fall!
Send a message via ICQ to Hayden Jenz
View Posts: 1,517

Quote:
LIKE I SAID BEFORE YOU SHOULDN'T TAKE THIS SO PERSONAL.

You're taking this personal because you're too stupid to understand what I've said over and over that this thread is not about the whole culture of china. But only about the fact that they eat 20 million dogs a year and how they see them as food, pets.

You're way over reacting.
Oh gnoez, you called me stupid. That hurt my feelings. *snort* And I don't care what you said this thread is for. 'Cause I can make a thread based on X, but it can easily turn to discuss how Y pwns X -- and still be on topic.

Quote:
All I know is that chow-chows are very popular in China or they used to be.
I have had a chow-chow and could never consider eating someone I got so close to.
I think... Unless there was a famine. Because many people are averred to eating what they have made their pets is because of the emotional attachment to them, I think. That's natural I guess.
They don't. Eat. Their pets. They eat dogs. Stray dogs. Dogs that restaurant owners have found and said, "Zhe ge gou kan dao hen hao chi a!" That's the deal.

Sig and avy done by myself.
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Goron
View Posts: 176

Quote:
'Cause I can make a thread based on X, but it can easily turn to discuss how Y pwns X -- and still be on topic.
It goes off topic if you start talking about a whole culture in this case.
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Grand Inquisitor
View Posts: 3,237

Locked because of petty bickering.

-Rob

Thanks to Captain Cornflake for the redesign, originally Pipking's.
Rules don't hurt, but mods make sure disobeying them does.|Adopted imstarbright
Closed Thread

Tags
chinese, dinner, dogs, plates, popular