Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Imaginary Light Imaginary Light is a female United States Imaginary Light is offline
There are plenty of fish in the sea. LOL jk, there's an oil spill.
Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light Send a message via Skype™ to Imaginary Light

View Posts: 1,785
Rape of Nanjing (Warning! gruesome pictures!)

My class was talking about this today because we are starting to get into World War 2. We started off by talking about the Rape of Nanjing, when the Japanese invaded China. Here are some pictures of what happened, but some of them are very gruesome, so I would take precation in looking at these.

http://www.princeton.edu/~nanking/html/image_9.html

I saw these pictures, and I just started to cry! How can people treat other people this way? It breaks my heart knowing that people can be so cruel and black hearted that they would do things like this to people. Talk about it here, say whatever you think.
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Nacho/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Nacho/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Nacho/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-28-2006, 01:22 AM
they're coming to take me away, haha!
View Posts: 6,027
Re: Rape of Nanjing (Warning! gruesome pictures!)

I believe this would be a perfect example of a society without moral standards. These pictures are heartbreaking and heartwrending to us because we live in America, or Britain, maybe Canada or Australia. I've named nations that all have strong, enforced moral backgrounds, based on fair treatment of other humans. Japan during WWII was not corrupt, it was downright evil. I'm not saying that all Japanese in that time were evil anymore than I'm saying that all British are prissy, I'm saying that the government of that country was ruled by men that believed in a superior race of humanity, in themselves over others.

This would be the result. We find it sad because we are raised to believe in equality and, to quote the Bible, loving one's neighbor as oneself.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-28-2006, 01:48 AM
Word of the day: Notagoth
View Posts: 408

Oh my god..... those poor people.
Just imagine this: "Ok, today you're going to be used for bayonet drills. Just sit right there and don't move!" or "Yeah, I'm gonna chop off your head for a trophy. Don't worry, you won't miss it."
Ad that baby was just sitting there in the street! I am outraged! If I was the president in 1938, I would've made more H-bombs, too bomb the ❤❤❤❤ake mushrooms out of the Japanese forces in China.

Daryn, my fanatical BA character.
My new BA Char, Latig

Awsome Siggy by Kat, from HH.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-28-2006, 03:59 AM
Goron
View Posts: 176

Those images are sad. Here are some pictures of Executions of Tibetans by the Chinese Forces in Tibet . Note China is still illegally occupying Tibet since 1950 taking away it's culture and liberty.

China in Tibet -- China has been occupying Tibet since 1950 and has killed 1.2 million Tibetans (1995 Tibetan population: 14 million); destroyed all but 13 of 6,254 monasteries and has forced intermarriages between Chinese and Tibetans. The Chinese government has encouraged Chinese nationals to settle in Tibet. China has refused to recognize the Tibetan Panchen Lama (the successor to the Dalai Lama) and imposed their own choice. The Tibetan Panchen Lama has been missing since July '95 and is believed to be detained by Chinese authorities in Peking.

I would definately nuke China many times if I had the power to do so.
Last Edited by Cubez; 01-28-2006 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Fear the RedGuard.
View Posts: 217

Yes, Vacumgod, is right. It was an awful war and people did some of the most gruesome/terrifying/demoralizing acts on each other that I've seen. In all, like Vacumgod said, we need to move on and go past those atrosious acts. There is nothing we can really do about those crimes...

Nowadays, the thing that get's me irritated, is with the skinning of animals(mainly raccoons) in third world countries, where there is no one to stop such an organization. With the way that they chop off all their limbs, skin them alive, and even after all of that they still don't kill the little animal. They then throw all of them in a big bin, still alive, with their exposed hearts still beating, to let them suffer to death.

I'm in no way PETA activists, or do I associate with them, but just knowing that type of cruelty is going on 24/7 makes my stomach churn... :{

Sorry for being off-topic'ish, but I thought this was a good place to express my disgust for this type of current cruelty...
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorary Aussie
I believe this would be a perfect example of a society without moral standards. These pictures are heartbreaking and heartwrending to us because we live in America, or Britain, maybe Canada or Australia. I've named nations that all have strong, enforced moral backgrounds, based on fair treatment of other humans. Japan during WWII was not corrupt, it was downright evil. I'm not saying that all Japanese in that time were evil anymore than I'm saying that all British are prissy, I'm saying that the government of that country was ruled by men that believed in a superior race of humanity, in themselves over others.

This would be the result. We find it sad because we are raised to believe in equality and, to quote the Bible, loving one's neighbor as oneself.
That was in World War 2. I'm pretty sure that even America was doing something similarly vulgar back in those days. The world a long time ago, was definitely a cruel place to live in. That said, it is not fair to say that only America, or Britain, maybe Canada or Australia are the only nations where they didn't do all these because it sounds like preaching rather than stating the reality (Hiroshima bombing, anyone?). Granted, they may have not done something like raping and so on, but every nation (or soon-to-be-nations) have had done something just as evil as before.

This is why we are living in a more civilized 21st century compared to something like Roman Empire or even further into the past. It's human nature. The good thing is that we learn from our mistakes.
Last Edited by Aerorian; 01-28-2006 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Knight of Skyloft
Send a message via AIM to TornRed
View Posts: 805

Quote:
(Hirshima bombing, anyone?).
Ah, The Atomic Bomb that fell on Hiroshima and Nagasaki we needed to end the war. Once Japan saw our power they would know that their reign of terror would come to and end. By killing those people, we save thousands or more from the terrors of war.

{Reun Longleaf}{ Sig by Insaney}
{ ALPHA TAU OMEGA}
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Mad as an adder
View Posts: 2,505

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornRed
Ah, The Atomic Bomb that fell on Hiroshima and Nagasaki we needed to end the war. Once Japan saw our power they would know that their reign of terror would come to and end. By killing those people, we save thousands or more from the terrors of war.

On, the other hand, photos from the bombing aren't very much less gruesome than these photos...people's skin just melted off while they were still alive.

#9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Goron
Send a message via AIM to Abscido
View Posts: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorary Aussie

Look up the My Lai Massacre. Americans have commited atrocities too. The Western world doesn't have a monopoly on morals.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Goron
Send a message via AIM to RaccoonArtist
View Posts: 141

I never even knew this happened. Its horrible, and I now think of japaneese soldiers in a whole new light.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Knight of Skyloft
View Posts: 870

We learned about the Rape of Nanjing last semister. Very despressing. The strange this is, Japan was never known to be brutal before the Rape of Nanjing and WWII, and during WWII they did terrible things. I heard they killed more prisoners (captured troops) than Germany.

#12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-28-2006, 11:27 PM
The folly of man
Send a message via AIM to Fire Bird Send a message via Skype™ to Fire Bird
View Posts: 9,389

Thats horrible. We havnt done WWII yet though. How can people do that to others?
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,456

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerootLink
Thats horrible. We havnt done WWII yet though. How can people do that to others?
How? Simple, it's our human nature. Greed, wealth, power.... It doesn't matter who you are or how you are trying to deny it, we all want these things. In addition, sentimental actions such as hatred and prejudice can also play a big factor. In the end, as long as we are sentient, bloodshed will never end. It's the balance of things, you see. Light versus dark. Evil versus good.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-30-2006, 11:31 AM
The Black Knight
View Posts: 327

Interesting, you do realize that soldiers raping enemy country civilians has been going on probably since war began, right? The vikings, Romans and other earlier civilizations have done this. It's just not as often noted in the History books they give at public schools or even some colleges, basically the reason we know of the rape of chinese people back in Nanjing is because Japan was our enemy and to help get the idea that the japanese gov't was cruel or at least divisions of their army, to further more justify using the Atomic Bombs.

Quote:
Those bombs may have ended the war quickly and lead to less deaths, but in reality it only led to less deaths of American Soldiers, which is confirmed and known to be the president's of that time's goal. To save the lives of American Soldiers since so many have been estimated to die if America attacked Japan. But if you count the number of deaths related to the Atomic Bomb (before and after, along with other nuclear weapon incidents to come in the future) all of that exceeds the number of estimated American soldier lives.

So like I said before, it didn't cause less deaths. It only caused less American soldier deaths.

Quote:
I would definately nuke China many times if I had the power to do so.
Which is why whatever force controlling this universe didn't give you such a position or power, honestly "nuking" an entire country and it's citizens for the action of it's gov't? Also note that not all of the people in the chinese gov't probably support this. Just because you think an action of others is morally wrong, doesn't mean you should decide to kill them. If people were to do this, then if they were actually morally wrong and killed others who they thought were wrong, it'd cause unnecessary bloodshed and is really foolish.

Quote:
I now think of japaneese soldiers in a whole new light.
Why? The actions of a group of soldiers determine every single one of them, from the past and even today in the present? Going by that, may I bring up numerous incidents in the past and currently occuring of our American soldiers and their behavior. Perhaps of a few Iraq prisoners?
Last Edited by KING_LIZALFOS; 01-30-2006 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-01-2006, 02:41 AM
15 Strong
Send a message via AIM to samuraiJACK
View Posts: 206

world war 2, didn't know they invaded china but they never conquered it.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Goron
Send a message via AIM to Abscido
View Posts: 207

I believe the entire reason the US put an embargo on Japanese oil was because of their invasion of China. Which sparked Pearl Harbor. So I'd say the Japanese invasion of China should be a major turning point in WWII.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-02-2006, 12:11 AM
Goron
View Posts: 267

There were LOTS of turning points during the war. The most notable one is the battle of Stalingrad - because without that loss, the tide would never have been reversed (supposedly), and let's remember that it's the communists who bombed Berlin.

How about the March 1945 Bombing of Tokyo? Over a hundred thousand people died there. That's not mentioned, since it wasn't integral to the victory. The atomic bombs - yes, we won "because" of them (*cough*), but it's still a war crime. Deliberate civilian casualties. Trying to destroy rather than capture. That's pretty atrocious, if you ask me. Much like the Dresden bombings - wounded soldiers and civilians were obliterated, wiping "The Florence of Germany" off the map. That's like bombing the Vatican. Sheesh. And then there's always the Japanese American internment - forcible relocation of many Americans with Japanese blood "just because." (Canada did it too, actually.)

The Allies weren't really the "good guys." They were the winners. That's the only difference. The reason we're so affected by the Rape of Nanjing is because of a different set of values - just like the idea of these people using kamikazes to destroy aircraft carriers is a bit sketchy for us.

You can look at events and say "alright, that was bad," but to look at an entire nation and say "YOU BASTARDS" is like looking at Christianity and saying "Inquisition? You're all JERKS!" It's not black and white.

The Americans were money-grubbing opportunists. They signed a free-trade agreement, saying they could give weapons off to the Allies on credit, not dirtying their hands, and slowly racking up international debt. Why do you think that America's the world #1 economic power? (Or WAS! DUNH DUNH DUNH.) Only (FINALLY) with Pearl Harbor, unintentionally surprising "surprise" attack (technical difficulties) did America finally step in. And one of the only reason they attacked east rather than west first was because if the Allies fell... Well, who's going to pay that pretty tab they were accumulating?

...My point is, there is no good and evil - just excuses.

...And for the record, more Russians died than Jews. One gun for two people. If your buddy dies, pick up his gun and keep running like hell. Go Stalinist Russia! Vote Marxist-Leninist for Canada '08! (I can't believe there's a party like that in my riding. I think they got less votes than the Marijuana Party around here.)
The end of universes, gods, worlds... of everything.
And what will you be then, Dreamlord?
Dream -
I am hope.
-The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-02-2006, 02:07 AM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornRed
Japan attempted to contact america for a truce or something like that, but the message they sent to russia didnot get forwarded as planed, therefore causing so many deaths.

if you dont beleive me, dont, i heard it on a documentery.

EDIT-also the russians were shot by there own commanders if they retreated, and for the lead up to the war everone was hating the jews, not just the germans.

Tags
gruesome, nanjing, pictures, rape, warning