Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Banned User
Send a message via Yahoo to Mrs Ganondorf
View Posts: 2,193
All sins equally bad?

I said this in another forum without any references and it kind of embarrassed me:

To God, no sin is greater than the other.

Is this true ??
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Word of the day: Notagoth
View Posts: 408
Re: All sins equally bad?

Well, hard to explain. It depends on your religion. If you believe in an old form of Christianity there are sins called: The seven Deadly sins.
I think they were: Greed, Gluttony, Lust, and all the names of the other FullMA evil people.

Daryn, my fanatical BA character.
My new BA Char, Latig

Awsome Siggy by Kat, from HH.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Summertime Sadness
View Posts: 2,877

Well, there are many sins, but some must be geater than others, since there are the "Seven Deadly Sins" even though there are more than seven. They are just not as bad. I guess you could call that greater. So, I guess that saying might not be true, in general. But like SheikahOps said, it all depends.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Banned User

I'm sorry, I forgot to say that I meant in Christianity. The seven deadly sins are not mentioned under that term in the Bible. From what I know Dante was the one who came up with this idea and he was a dramatic writer, not a prophet or anything similar.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Light Spirit

View Posts: 4,727

Hmmm... Thats a very good question. But I mean... Lets get a little more real here. Murdering someone has to have some degree higher than just stealing an Orange from the local Super Market? I mean you've taken some eles life appose to 10c lost from the Super Market...

But when it comes to God and the way he see's things, They are most likely all the same to him. As it plains him to see his children doing such things.... Its pretty hard to say.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by V99
Hmmm... Thats a very good question. But I mean... Lets get a little more real here. Murdering someone has to have some degree higher than just stealing an Orange from the local Super Market? I mean you've taken some eles life appose to 10c lost from the Super Market...
To us maybe. But we as humans have a minimal understanding of God's intentions. If someone is killed, maybe that was His purpose. Not for the victim's dependents to mourn, but for that person to 'come home'.

God wills for things to happen or He allows for things to happen.

To humans one sin might seem worse than the other, but to God one sin is as much a violation of His will as another. Trying to figure out God's will is however something an mission impossible.

Quote:
But when it comes to God and the way he see's things, They are most likely all the same to him. As it plains him to see his children doing such things.... Its pretty hard to say.
Exactly. If someone is for instance killed, God will, I pray, take care of that person who was unrightfully deprived of his life.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-24-2005, 06:28 PM
the WORLD.
Send a message via AIM to Big One Send a message via Yahoo to Big One
View Posts: 6,119

Well I don't believe in the Christian god, nor any god/deity unless it has been proven. But like V99 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by V99
Hmmm... Thats a very good question. But I mean... Lets get a little more real here. Murdering someone has to have some degree higher than just stealing an Orange from the local Super Market? I mean you've taken some eles life appose to 10c lost from the Super Market..
You can't equal murder to stealing, or murder to lieing, or murder to hatred, even if it says in the Bible that God puts all sins as equal, it doesn't mean it's right. But I think what it meant, in the Bible, is that all sins will be judged the same way, though I'm not sure.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-24-2005, 06:38 PM
I lol you
View Posts: 2,539

What you're looking for, C, is a definition of Mortal Sin.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.
Send a message via AIM to Leminnes Send a message via Yahoo to Leminnes
View Posts: 3,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Ganondorf
I said this in another forum without any references and it kind of embarrassed me:

To God, no sin is greater than the other.

Is this true ??
It is not true. If you read Dante's Inferno you get a great perspective of how the sins work. I am not sure if The Inferno is a great source but I would say it is pretty Darn Close. What Dante does is he has the 9 layers of hell, each one smaller, lower, and more severe. The first Circle is Limbo. People get put in Limbo when they are not baptized. The next four circles are called in continence circles. The first one (second Circle) is Lust, then Gluttony (third), Then Avarice and Prodigality (fourth), and lastly, Wrath (fifth). The next part of hell is the river Styx and then The City of Dis. The sixth circle is Heresy. Then there is Phlegethon. Next is the Seventh Circle which is Violence. It has three sections: Violence against others, self, and god. Then there is the Abyss (Geryon). The next two circles are the circles of Fraud. The Eighth Circle is Malebolge which has ten sections: Seducers and Panderers, Flatterers, Simonists, Diveners, Barrantors, Hypocrites, Thieves, False Counselers, Schismatics, and counterfeiters. The next part is the Giants Well. Then the final layer of hell, the ninth, Treachery. There are four parts to the ninth. Caina or Kin, Antenora or Country and Party, Ptolomea or Guest, and Jedecca or Benefacor. The final part of Hell is Lucifer which includes the betrayers. Cassius and Brutus (the betrayors of Caesar) and Judus Iscariot (The Betrayor of Jesus Christ). So... technically I just named all of those just to say, no... some are worse then others.

By the by... just incase none of that made any sense... just look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inferno#Inferno
It's rather interesting to read about.
Last Edited by Leminnes; 11-24-2005 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Custom Title
Send a message via AIM to Obsidian
View Posts: 330

Well, I'm agnostic just like Lord Ganon but I would have to say some sins are worse than others in Christianity. For insance, why would commiting Homicide be equal to running a stop sign?
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Monkey D. Luffy Monkey D. Luffy is a male United States Monkey D. Luffy is offline
The quality of this f0rum really has gone down :\
Send a message via AIM to Monkey D. Luffy
View Posts: 987

Technically, they are all the same, but one sin can lead to the next. So basicly, if you don't repent and turn from sin, you will continue sinning(not good). But there is one great sin, to reject Christ.

P.S. I'm just saying what I think, but I can look into this more.
exploded for no reason creating everything and then
a bunch of everything rearranged itself for no reason
whatsover into self-replicating bits which turned into dinosaurs.
Makes perfect sense!

#12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Am I the only one who thinks "B.A." sounds funny?
View Posts: 1,078

The way this works is that all sins are equal in God's eyes, but some have more earthly consquenses than others. For instance, stealing has some consequenses (like jail time). Depending on the value of the item, it's harsher or less harsh. But killing someone can get you either in jail for life or dead, and people would lose all respect for you. Not a good life. In Gods eyes it's the same, but it causes more long term earthly problems.

I don't think the Divine Comedy is the best reference, because Dante wrote it in exile after the church kicked him out for beliving non-catholic things. In fact, I think he metions the pope in hell. I'll check later.

~Ganon not gannon
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-24-2005, 10:33 PM
Hylian Jedi
View Posts: 302

Well many Christians do say all sins are equal in God's eyes, that's not entirely true. The point is, if you commit one sin, you are sinful and in danger of God's judgement.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints in the morning.

If you ever pushed a door that said pull, put this in your signature.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Spirit of Seasons
View Posts: 1,693

A sin is a sin in God's eye. Dosen't matter how big or small./ It's the outcome that is different. There's no real scale as to which sins are worse. What really matters is that God forgives!
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Banned User

I agree with that too.

And Dante is not the right place to look for definitions of sins and how grave they are, neither is Catholic interpretations. Sorry, pip. It was an interesting read nontheless.

I want to know what the Bible says.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Grand Inquisitor
View Posts: 3,237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Ganondorf
I agree with that too.

And Dante is not the right place to look for definitions of sins and how grave they are, neither is Catholic interpretations. Sorry, pip. It was an interesting read nontheless.

I want to know what the Bible says.
I do agree that Dante isn't the right place to look, but I think you should reconsider the basis of what pip gave you. I do believe that if you read the link that it provides ample Scriptural support for the specific position advanced. I will post some of the various quotes, and you call tell me if you think they are ample.

Quote:
"If anyone sees his brother sinning, if the sin is not deadly, he should pray to God and he will give him life. This is only for those whose sin is not deadly. There is such a thing as deadly sin, about which I do not say that you should pray. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not deadly." (1 John 5:16-17).
For instance, note Paul listing grave sins to his audience:
Quote:
"Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God" (Galatians 5:19-20)
Or:
Quote:
"know you no that the unjust shall not possess the kingdom of God? Do not err: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, Nor the effeminate, nor liers with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards nor railers, nor extortioners shall possess the kingdom of God" (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)
The point being that these two addresses show grave sin, which, when done willfully, constitutes mortal, or deadly sin. Remember, "there is such a thing as deadly sin." He doesn't list lighter matters, but rather, grave matters.

Sin, of course, is fundamentally opposed to God's will. And anyone who sins without regard and in direct contravention to God's will must not soon forget that the wages of sin is death (Rom 6:23). While an individual 'venial' or not-deadly sin may not cut the believer off from God's life entirely as a deadly or mortal sin does, it certainly does weaken the believer's relationship and make him more susceptible to fall into worse sin. Just because a specific sin does not cut the believer off from God's life does not mean that it is not bad.

Thanks to Captain Cornflake for the redesign, originally Pipking's.
Rules don't hurt, but mods make sure disobeying them does.|Adopted imstarbright
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Gerudo Thief
Send a message via AIM to A-Splodie
View Posts: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by V99

I really agree. I think that "The seven Deadly Sins" are some degree higher than any other sins.

"Slowly one by one, the chickens a splode."- Me
Thankies to Drewey for the sig and avie.
[ Go Din!]
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 341

Well...yeh, it does depend on your religion.
But out of my opinion...a sin is a sin...theres not one more, or less worse than the other...but that's just what I believe
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 82

That's like saying all good deeds are created equal. Much like people, inheritly we are equal, but through descisions, lack thereoff, and circumstances, that equality fades, and we shift up and down on the level pole..

You have to use your common sense, what constitutes a sin? Obviously a rapist isn't in the same league as someone who eats pork..

When you try to ignore common sense, you get radicals and liberals. Though they claim to be on opposing sides, they're both relatively the same.. They act as if sense one thing was said, we can't use our own better judgement.. Liberals moreso, because they act as though things have to be set in stone, exsept when they feel it's conveint..

As long as you follow the basic guidelines like not raping and murdering people, I'm sure God, Lucifer, and any other patheon can "turn the other cheek". Most menial sins our counteracted by our positive karma, or exhausted through our lifetime(s)..

I know that sounds kindof Buddhist, but all faiths share a simaler form of repentance.. Wether it be through accepting Christ, reincarnation, inner-enlightment, Purgatory, or whatever..
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-25-2005, 07:04 PM
"Flying Rubber"
View Posts: 699

I beleive that God looks at sin differently then we see it. Murdering is bad, but so is giving false testimony for it can cause the same amount of damage. Cursing someone may not seem at once to be that bad, but what if it causes anger and that anger escaltes to physical anger and then to muder. The same thing can be said for commiting adultury and disshonoring your parents. In the bible it says that even thinking about killing someone is the same as actually killing someone. So what I say is think of sin as being equal to all other sins, not so that muder is less of a crime, but so that calling someone a fool is more of crime... I have to admit I still don't fully understand this topic, but this is what I believe at the moment.
Last Edited by dr_osprey; 11-26-2005 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote

Tags
bad, equally, sins