Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 10:15 PM
#Dysphoriyawn

View Posts: 16,485
Exclamation Proud to be American?

First, I would like to let it be known that I am a native US citizen. I have lived here all my life.

The overall question:
Are you proud to be American?

Why do I ask this? It is because if you look at America, there is not much to be proud of. I don't personally feel proud to be American, and quite frankly, I do not consider myself American.

We have invaded Iraq who had little to no affiliation with the 9/11 attack. Our government contradicts itself, and our own constitution isn't straight forward. America has been a show off ever since WWI.

America has gone away from freedom and and has turned the amendments into bondage. They have become restrictions.

Celebrities seem to have special privileges that the average American doesn't have.

The Department of Education stuffs Democracy down our throats. As well, a lot of the curriculum is focused on the Democratic Party. It isn't very common that I see anything Republican based.
Personally, I am neither Republican or Democrat. I think that this "bipartisan" nation is a hoax.

Tell me, are you proud to be an American?

If you were an American, would you be proud to be one?
4 people liked this post: Aenglaan, Loki Laufeyson, Major Liftz, Sikora
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Great White North Great White North is a male Prussia Great White North is offline
We are criminals!
Send a message via Skype™ to Great White North
Steam ID: Septemvile
View Posts: 4,554
Re: Proud to be American?

Quote:
If you were an American, would you be proud to be one?
Yes, despite it's MANY faults the United States is still one of the most free and developed societies on the planet.

As Hanson put it,

Quote:
We are free, hold elections, tolerate dissent, are religiously diverse, and demand a level of clean water, sewage, honesty in government, and basic utilities not found elsewhere. Americans are a naturally generous people, who are open, friendly, and industrious and so reflect the decency of their culture. Americans judge people on who they are and what they do, not where they came from, what God they worship, or where their parents went to school. The daily squalor and random cruelty of the Third World are mostly absent here, and we are far less cynical, conniving, and dour than the grim European utopians, whose social network is subsidized by an American military that patrols their fairyland Shire like Aragorn's quiet stealthy rangers.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating: Mexican intellectuals damn us as their own dispossessed risk their lives to cross our borders; Palestinians cheer news of 9-11, but are furious they can't fly out of Tel-Aviv to reach Brooklyn or Detroit; Canadians dub us culturally imperialistic as everyone there from Peter Jennings to Neal Young and Dan Ackroyd seeks fame and fortune in America, even as Haitians think us racist as they die trying to float in through choppy seas. A mad, mad world it is.

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Quote:
We have invaded Iraq who had little to no affiliation with the 9/11 attack. Our government contradicts itself, and our own constitution isn't straight forward. America has been a show off ever since WWI.
There was nothing wrong with the invasion of Iraq, save the fundamental lack of planning.

Saddam Hussein was a homicidal dictator responsible for genocide, less than such fine individuals such as Pol Pot and Stalin only by his smaller number of victims.
"Your Father calls you to His Court. You need not pack; you go garbed in glory where you stand. He waits eagerly by His palace doors to welcome you, and has prepared a place at His high table by His side, in the company of the great-souled, honoured, and best beloved."
3 people liked this post: Flames of Valor, princesspanty, R3B3LCAUSE
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Golddron Sex Golddron Sex is a male United States Golddron Sex is offline
Thank you
View Posts: 5,139

I'm proud to be an American. I like the principles the nation was founded upon. I like the land and culture.

Doesn't seem to be much else to elaborate on, and I didn't leave anything out. Though @OP, certain people having privileges is by no means limited the the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanchemike View Post
pokefags woke the dragon and are gonna find out they're not weak to ice types
Last Edited by Golddron Sex; 05-18-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: damn phone and spell check Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 PM
#Dysphoriyawn

Definitely is one of the freest, albeit, it shall be for long. Pay attention to these nations. These nations don't get involved in many conflicts around the world, and most importantly, they mind their own business.
1 person liked this post: Sikora
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Great White North Great White North is a male Prussia Great White North is offline
We are criminals!

You do realize that references economic, not political or social freedom?

I.E: How easily a corporation can get filthy rich without the government interfering?
"Your Father calls you to His Court. You need not pack; you go garbed in glory where you stand. He waits eagerly by His palace doors to welcome you, and has prepared a place at His high table by His side, in the company of the great-souled, honoured, and best beloved."
3 people liked this post: Flames of Valor, interestingdrug, R3B3LCAUSE
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Pokemon is over for this season so I guess I'm back
View Posts: 1,938

I'm waking up tomorrow morning, before sunrise, to fish a clear, beautiful stream with a buddy of mine that I work with at my well-paying job. The next day I'll worship my god, without government interference, at the church of my choice. Then I'll retire to my modest home.

Yeah. Very proud.
1 person liked this post: R3B3LCAUSE
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 10:47 PM
#Dysphoriyawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartimaeus Sex View Post
I'm proud to be an American. I like the principles the nation was founded upon. I like therefore land and culture.

Doesn't seem to be much else to elaborate on, and I didn't leave anything out. Though @OP, certain people having privileges is by no means limited the the US.
Yeah. The LRA was formed on a relatively nice idea, too.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 PM
We are criminals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor Sicarius View Post
The LRA was founded as a syncretic mix of African mysticism, Acholi nationalism, Islam and Christian fundamentalism.

Tell me what there is a "nice idea".
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Kingslayer

View Posts: 28,437

Can't say I'm particularly proud to be American. I'm definitely grateful to be living here as opposed to, say, a small village in Mongolia or in one of the many war-torn nations of Africa.

I think America has many flaws and I'm certainly not proud of things that it does. But, at the same time I believe a lot of these things are prevalent in other countries as well, such as an unequal distribution of wealth and corrupt politicians.

Would love to see the USA improve, but I don't feel I can look at it like I would a poem I've written or accomplishment and feel a sense of pride over it.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 10:58 PM
#Dysphoriyawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great White North View Post
The LRA was founded as a syncretic mix of African mysticism, Acholi nationalism, Islam and Christian fundamentalism.

Tell me what there is a "nice idea".
Lets stay on topic, now shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattj View Post
I'm waking up tomorrow morning, before sunrise, to fish a clear, beautiful stream with a buddy of mine that I work with at my well-paying job. The next day I'll worship my god, without government interference, at the church of my choice. Then I'll retire to my modest home.

Yeah. Very proud.

I do believe this can be done in England, too.

Yes, I agree that they are good things, but does it can be found in other nations too.
1 person liked this post: Major Liftz
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 11:05 PM
We are criminals!

Quote:
Lets stay on topic, now shall we?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOU
You brought it up.

Now answer the question or get out of my SD.

Quote:
I do believe this can be done in England, too.
And you know what's really cool?

Quote:
The 2003 Invasion of Iraq (19 March 1 May 2003), was the start of the conflict known as the Iraq War, or Operation Iraqi Freedom, in which a combined force of troops from the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and Poland invaded Iraq and toppled the regime of Saddam Hussein in 21 days of major combat operations.
Quote:
Yes, I agree that they are good things, but does it can be found in other nations too.
And most, if not all of those nations are American allies.
Last Edited by Great White North; 05-18-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: princesspanty, R3B3LCAUSE
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 11:12 PM
#Dysphoriyawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great White North View Post
Now answer the question or get out of my SD.
It was, from what I learned in school a couple years back, a group used to join people together.

Quote:
And most, if not all of those nations are American allies.
And? That seems irrelevant. Care to explain the connection?
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 PM
We are criminals!

Quote:
It was, from what I learned in school a couple years back, a group used to join people together.
Then check your sources.

Quote:
It probably has something to do with the fact that the United States is not considered "leader of the free world" for nothing, and many of these states have incorporated ideals from the American revolution and Constitution into their social fabrics and government institutions.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Goron
View Posts: 213

Well I'm obviously not that proud of being an American because of pretty much everything having to do with America. And a lot of people that I know seems to think that all countries besides America are third-world countries which is obviously untrue. I would've much rather had been born in some other place like Canada, England, or Switzerland.

Ganondorf is the only attractive male in the series.

Also, I'm nice so shoot me a pm.
1 person liked this post: Yawn
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 11:49 PM
We are criminals!

Quote:
To be fair, the US is considered 'the leader of the free world' because of the Cold War, not the revolution. WWII left Europe in ruins, the Marshall Plan helped save Western Europe and 'save' capitalism in those countries, thus America led the world in capitalism and democracy (not a true one, as the whole Civil Rights Movement hadn't achieved success/happened, but better than Stalin's rule by a long shot) until the end of the Cold War. Now, it's debatable about whether or not America still is the leader of the free world.
I know, but that's what Obama was called by the international media when he was elected.

In addition, the general rule of thumb in interstate relations is that when Uncle Sam says jump, YOU BETTER ❤❤❤❤ING JUMP.

Quote:
As for the revolutionary ideas, there's no denying that America kick started that, but there is the question of how big of an impact the French Revolution had on Europe.
Huge. But what France started, the United States refined and exported.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-18-2012, 11:59 PM
I'm going to find out if I'm really alive
Steam ID: pawptart
View Posts: 2,517

Silly nationalism and patriotism.

Getting tied up in either or both is silly, and leads to all sorts of fun things like entitlement and rivalries, where we should be working towards better relations between everyone regardless of nationality.

You can get citizenship in other countries, so I guess pride is warranted in that sense, but even so, there's no reason to be proud of a country as a whole as opposed to individuals since there are bad and good aspects to every country.
5 people liked this post: Aenglaan, Eikelmann, Left4Cuccos, Panda Bear, Pie Master
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-19-2012, 02:13 AM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Wii U ID: Blizzaga

View Posts: 35,524

I love my country, so I hate it when people look down on me for doing so.

I never said it was perfect though. There's always room for improvement. Especially when it comes to health care.

???

Last Edited by Coconut Water; 05-19-2012 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
4 people liked this post: Flames of Valor, Golddron Sex, Great White North, Soli
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-19-2012, 03:42 AM
A Happy Mask Salesman
View Posts: 163

I honestly feel like America isn't as free as perhaps most Americans think. The power that the police abuse there is ridiculous. In countries like Australia, New Zealand and even the UK this is rarely seen, add to that several other countries from Europe and the like. It's free, but you sure as hell pay for it sometimes.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-19-2012, 05:51 AM
I may not be perfect... but my dog loves me.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nesi
Steam ID: AlkalineCandy

View Posts: 18,330

@Patriotism: I'm of the mind that patriotism is not a bad thing; as long as you appreciate what good you find in your country, let it be the language, the food, the people or certain places you like and if that makes you proud of your country, then great. I heavily frown upon those who insult other countries in their pride. In one sentence: patriotism is when you love your country, nationalism is when you hate others.

@America: I genuinely can't say I agree with many things that happen there - but at the same time I don't believe in the collective hatred that it gets from... everywhere; well I do notice it in Europe. That's senseless and woefully ignorant.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-19-2012, 06:38 AM
Glorious Leader
Steam ID: mister_blak
View Posts: 1,254

Patriotism... Patriotism is important, as long as it is for good, well considered reasons. I'm a patriotic person because, after a long think, I've decided there're very few countries in which I wouldn't feel like I'd taken a step down- namely Australia, Canada, and Switzerland*- and even then I only consider them on-par.

*For those of you who are wondering why America doesn't appear here, I have two words for you: Bible Belt.