Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#81 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Jedi Master Sagan Jedi Master Sagan is a male United States Jedi Master Sagan is offline
made of star stuff
Send a message via AIM to Jedi Master Sagan Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Master Sagan Send a message via Skype™ to Jedi Master Sagan
View Posts: 2,856
Re: Proud to be American?

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
As for belief in evolution, that's hopefully changing soon. I would also like to see America become more of a science-based ideology place, but if it doesn't that's not worth my time to complain about. It's the right of people to choose their beliefs.
Not when their beliefs require that infringing upon the sovereignty of others. You might say that's not germane to the question of creationism, except for the fact that in the US creationism and ID are almost exclusively restricted to the Christian culture warrior demographic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamtos View Post
I'd call you our resident science fairy but you have more of a tendency to bulldoze over theories and "science bulldozer" just doesn't have that nickname sparkle.
  #82 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Goron
View Posts: 214

I am proud to be an American. As wacky and screwed as this nation gets sometimes, I'm fortunate to live in a nation where I don't have to worry about someone watching my every movement, finding means for sustenance or slave labor. I wouldn't want to live in any other country in the world (Canadians you snag a close second).

Signature made by a friend. :3
  #83 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Has returned.
Send a message via Skype™ to Shinespark
Steam ID: HylianChozo
View Posts: 2,814

I would say that I'm at least fortunate to live in a country that is semi-stable right now. In England, I believe they're putting taxes on virtually everything, and in the Middle East, things are just screwed up. Right now, yeah, the US is a big target for hate from other countries and we're a huge war machine, but we stay alive.

I hate when threads like these pop up (even though they're great threads with a good question) because they're basically asking whether you like the country or not. You should never really ask that about any person living in any country, because a man should have faith in his home. You wouldn't want to trash your house and insult it all the time, just as you wouldn't with your local sports team. If it's your home, you should damn well support it. If it just gets negative feedback from its citizens, it will fall apart even more than you know.

So yes, I'm proud to be an American. As long as it stays my home and country, it stays on my #1 spot.
1 person liked this post: princesspanty
  #84 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Westerly Winds Westerly Winds is a male United States Westerly Winds is offline
Arma virumque cano
Send a message via Skype™ to Westerly Winds
View Posts: 1,675

I am most certianly proud to be an American.

In fact, to answer this question it is important to know what it is to be American. I see being an American as representing the values that our country stands for. Deeply rooted in our constitution and even the declaration of independance is a promise of opportunity and of equality. These principles founded off past scholars such as John Locke, are what we use to define ourselves. We see the proof in this for America is still a hot spot for immigration.

Despite some of America's darker moments, we have been a benefit to the world. We have stood as a beacon of democracy, and a ray of hope for lesser nations. Our actions in both world wars and in the cold war (despite its selfish motives) helped most of europe and some of asia. It is true that America is a war machine and that it is overstretching its boundaries. However, if you look at the dense history of this country, and see how far it has come and how far it has yet to go, you will truly come to appreciate what our flag stands for.
  #85 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Farore's Apprentice Farore's Apprentice is a female United States Farore's Apprentice is offline
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 145

I'm pretty proud to live in America. I mean, we have survived a lot of wars... Yeah, we may not have the best government, but just about every country has government problems. I think... I don't really pay attention to government or politics at all. I think we do live in a pretty good place to live, so I think I can say I am very proud to be American.
  #86 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2012, 12:51 AM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 22,077

Patriotism is ridiculous. We're all human beings. The fact that we live in one place instead of another is utterly irrelevant, especially given that we're on top of each other from a cosmic perspective.

From Mars Earth is just a speck. Not even the size of a dust mote. Does it really matter which part of a grain of sand you come from?

What's more, barring a few exceptions, you are not responsible for what your country has done in the past, nor are you somehow responsible for the success of its sports teams or armies most of the time.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
1 person liked this post: Jaime Lannister
  #87 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2012, 08:31 PM
NotTakeMirror NotTakeMirror is a male United States NotTakeMirror is offline
The Other Sage
View Posts: 494

I remember a question on one of those online political quizzes asking if you agree with the statement "you don't choose the country of your birth so it's foolish to be proud of it." That statement essentially sums up my view. I didn't choose to be an American. I just happened to be born in that country. I am neither proud nor ashamed to be an American. The country I happen to live in does not measure my self worth as a person.

Now it's different if you ask me if I like or dislike living in American. There are things I both like and dislike about my country. I don't agree with some of the politics. I think we should have a universal health care system like the majority of developed nations. I am opposed to the Iraq War. I think my political views more left liberal leaning than the majority of people here. Yet there are things I like about living in America. I admit that I like living in a highly developed country where we have access to enough food and clean water and where most of the population can read and write.

Games beaten:
LoZ, AoL, ALttP, LA, OoT, MM, OoA, OoS, TP, ST, SS

Currently playing:
ALBW, OoT (master quest), OoA/OoS (linked game)

Games not yet played:
FS, FSA, MC, PH

Top Zelda games:
1. MM
2. OoT
3. ALBW
4. ALttP
5. TP
  #88 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Arma virumque cano

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Patriotism is ridiculous. We're all human beings. The fact that we live in one place instead of another is utterly irrelevant, especially given that we're on top of each other from a cosmic perspective.
Our human lives aren't on a cosmic perspective. When you put things in context, things like patriotism are highly meaningful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
From Mars Earth is just a speck. Not even the size of a dust mote. Does it really matter which part of a grain of sand you come from?
Sure, earth is merely a speck when viewed from mars, but from Poland, Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union were quite a big deal.
Last Edited by Westerly Winds; 06-04-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #89 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 07:59 PM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 22,077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerly Winds View Post
Our human lives aren't on a cosmic perspective. When you put things in context, things like patriotism are highly meaningful.
No, they don't become any more meaningful. Why does it matter what speck of Earth you happen to be standing or born on? When you look at someone your first thought should be that they're a fellow human, not that they happened to be born on the other side of a drop of water.

All patriotism ever seems to do is pit brother against brother for stupid, petty, myopic nonsense. You're proud of your country? Why? What has your country done that human beings haven't? As soon as someone draws a line on a piece of paper, suddenly it becomes "us" on one side and "them" on the other, and we'll justify a hell of a lot if we thinks it helps us while hurting them.

It's stupid. It's destructive. It serves no purpose. It's our tribal instincts gone mad and given guns.

Quote:
Sure, earth is merely a speck when viewed from mars, but from Poland, Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union were quite a big deal.
My point exactly, really. Germany was so fixed on people being better because they came from the right part of the planet. The USSR hated its own citizens, but it hated non-citizens even more, which is ridiculous.

I doubt we'll ever get rid of "us" vs. "them" thinking, but we certainly shouldn't be proud of it.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
  #90 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Just wait until you hit G-rank
Send a message via Skype™ to Wildstag
Steam ID: odraude3
View Posts: 1,144

I like the landscape and some of the people in this land, but I don't know if proud is the right way to describe my feelings. I am happy, and feel blessed because I was born here, but I don't feel proud.

I kind of would be proud if the concept of ownership didn't exist, and I could live wherever I felt like. Cause I would be all over Yellowstone. Like seriously, that place is beautiful.
  #91 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Arma virumque cano

Quote:
No, they don't become any more meaningful. Why does it matter what speck of Earth you happen to be standing or born on? When you look at someone your first thought should be that they're a fellow human, not that they happened to be born on the other side of a drop of water.

All patriotism ever seems to do is pit brother against brother for stupid, petty, myopic nonsense. You're proud of your country? Why? What has your country done that human beings haven't? As soon as someone draws a line on a piece of paper, suddenly it becomes "us" on one side and "them" on the other, and we'll justify a hell of a lot if we thinks it helps us while hurting them.

It's stupid. It's destructive. It serves no purpose. It's our tribal instincts gone mad and given guns.
I see what you are getting at. However, I don't think patriotism is always like that. Its when patriotism leads to things like nativism, militarism, and extreme nationalism. (WWI anyone?) I wouldn't go as far as to say that patriotism is ridiculous or bad.

Patriotism for me is a pride in my history, which I may not have contributed towards, but I am affiliated with by nationality. I'm proud of all the heroes and leaders who have served our country for the greater good and justice.

Quote:
My point exactly, really. Germany was so fixed on people being better because they came from the right part of the planet. The USSR hated its own citizens, but it hated non-citizens even more, which is ridiculous.

I doubt we'll ever get rid of "us" vs. "them" thinking, but we certainly shouldn't be proud of it.
I'm speaking of a pride of a history, a history that lives with human significance. This history is what inspires patriotism, not land ownership. Countries stand with an image that is shaped over time. Patriotism is the pride in that image, whether you're proud of you country depends on whether or not you like that image. Patriotism is purely optional and subjective.

In many ways patriotism can lead to bad things. However, there are many good things in life that can go bad.
  #92 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Thaddeus the Great Thaddeus the Great is a male United States Thaddeus the Great is offline
But WHY is the rum gone!?
Steam ID: pivot17
View Posts: 141

I am proud to be a descendant of the innovative yet resourceful minds that created this nation.
I am proud to live in a nation whose original intent was prevention of corruption, instead of unity of a particular belief or thought system.
I believe in defensive patriotism: To protect and improve the US without necessarily imposing or threatening others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
The morality of the means define that of the ends.
  #93 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 12:34 PM
bonjour tout le monde
Steam ID: gamingcakes
View Posts: 3,700

Being proud of the nation you were born in makes as much sense as being proud of being a male or being right-handed. I am proud of my actions, not my background that I didn't even get to choose.
  #94 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Wii U ID: Blizzaga

View Posts: 35,524

^ Well, I'm at least grateful to live in America. It's Disneyland compared to somewhere like Argentina.

???

#95 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Kingslayer

View Posts: 28,331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecora View Post
^ Well, I'm at least grateful to live in America. It's Disneyland compared to somewhere like Argentina.
Being proud ≠ being grateful.
  #96 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm going to find out if I'm really alive
Steam ID: pawptart
View Posts: 2,516

I would be proud to live in Antarctica.

Because holy ❤❤❤❤ that would be hard.
3 people liked this post: Boy, Brad, Yawn
  #97 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Pokemon is over for this season so I guess I'm back
View Posts: 1,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Being proud of the nation you were born in makes as much sense as being proud of being a male or being right-handed. I am proud of my actions, not my background that I didn't even get to choose.
However, you can choose to stay here or not.
  #98 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Wii U ID: Blizzaga

View Posts: 35,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamzee View Post
Being proud ≠ being grateful.
I know. Notice how I used the word grateful instead of proud.

???

#99 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 09:28 PM
bonjour tout le monde
Steam ID: gamingcakes
View Posts: 3,700

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattj View Post
That's always an argument I hear from patriotic Americans like my parents and other students. "If you don't like it, leave" is quite possibly the most pretentious thing I've ever heard. Why would we want to leave a country if we could improve it? Plus, moving to a different country costs a lot, and some people simply don't have the money to leave. I know I don't.
  #100 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Banned User
Send a message via Skype™ to Lysis
Steam ID: lysate 3DS ID: ❤❤❤❤ if I'm gonna write down this whole damn thing, PM me or something.
View Posts: 19,713

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattj View Post
not always.