Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2012, 08:35 PM
zeldamaster17
Send a message via Skype™ to slither
View Posts: 260
Christianity: oppressive

There are a few points I've been milling around in my head for awhile I'd like to discuss. The list is as follows:

A: If a nonchristian (who doesn't follow the bible) is elected president, would he be able to complete the ceremony? Should we change the ceremony to exclude the bible? I personally think so, because that makes it so nonchristians feel excluded, regardless of their religion.

B: The whole point of God being everywhere. On our dollar bill, in our speeches, in our inaugurations, our schools (yes it is even if it's illegal it's still in schools), and in our families. I feel very oppressed by a christian society around me, always preaching to me and trying to get me to believe. Then again, I live in the bible belt, so this may not apply to everyone.

C: Churches. When was the last time you saw two synagogs in one area? When was the last time you saw one at all? All I see are christian churches. Nothing else. Now, I know there ARE some, but very rare and far in between.

D: Christians getting mad. If any other god is expressed, christians always get pissed. If any god is mentioned by ANYONE other than their own, it's immediately labeled satanic, but no one gets mad at them for expressing their views (except when it's oppressively so). I think this is terribly wrong.

Now, discuss.

"Do you roll like Pac-Man? Or more like Kirby Pinball?" -ME!

Viserial: http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/...re-hunter.html
2 people liked this post: Coconut Water, Sweet SS Zelda
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 PM
A citizen of the world, known to all and to all a stranger
View Posts: 4,180
Re: Christianity: oppressive

For A, I don't believe the Bible is necessary. John Quincy Adams swore on a book of law.
Last Edited by Vulpes; 04-28-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason:
3 people liked this post: Bravo, Goldfish, Sweet SS Zelda
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2012, 09:15 PM

View Posts: 10,461
Re: Christianity: oppressive

I'm afraid I'm going to have to lock this, slither. We've had many significant problems with angry fights and flame wars over religion (and Christianity in particular) in the Serious Discussion before. We intend to keep such flame wars to a minimum - for this to be achieved, the opening post needs to be far less loaded and inviting of hostility than it currently is.

You've been told this before; if you wish to discuss this topic, please don't start with an OP that sets such a negative tone from the very outset, since it comes across as you wishing to start a fight rather than have a civil discussion.