Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 11:48 AM
A citizen of the world, known to all and to all a stranger
View Posts: 4,040
NASA's Budget: "How much would you pay for the universe?"

Recently, astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson called for NASA's budget to be increased to one penny for every federal tax dollar—in other words, to 1% of the federal budget, about double what it receives now. Currently, NASA receives about 18 billion dollars a year. In comparison, the US Air Force alone receives about 170 billion a year.

I believe that to survive, humanity must explore space. We cannot keep abusing this Earth forever. So if we can spend hundreds of billions of dollars to keep America safe, we should be able to spend some more keeping humanity's future safe.

For those interested, a site has been launched about the proposal.

3 people liked this post: Coconut Water, Keith, Left4Cuccos
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Battle routine, set! Execute!
View Posts: 4,647
Re: NASA's Budget: "How much would you pay for the universe?"

I would support funding NASA's research in strictly colonization of, say, Mars and/or other suitable planets. Primarily, we should focus on settling problems we have here on Earth before worrying about other planets. But on the flipside of that, there is the argument that, if we get far enough into colonization and manage to build stations on the surface of planets and moons, it could stimulate our earthside economy by having a sudden large demand for work out in space.

Basically, more jobs and employed for the investment in colonization. Again, I'm definitely for that. I just think we should try and keep a balance between funding for progression down here and progression up there, and maintain it strictly.
Last Edited by Justin; 03-31-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 12:20 PM

There will always be problems here on Earth. It's not like someday we'll look around and say, "Well, that takes care of Earth's troubles! Now we can finally take a crack at space!" The initial investment in spaceflight is generally economically unsound—although that's starting to change. But we have to look at the long-term. Besides, a number of technologies—GPS, for example—are the direct result of the space program. And I feel that a number of other worldly problems could benefit from further space exploration.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpes View Post
There will always be problems here on Earth. It's not like someday we'll look around and say, "Well, that takes care of Earth's troubles! Now we can finally take a crack at space!" The initial investment in spaceflight is generally economically unsound—although that's starting to change. But we have to look at the long-term. Besides, a number of technologies—GPS, for example—are the direct result of the space program. And I feel that a number of other worldly problems could benefit from further space exploration.
That's why I don't think we should necessarily wait for that mythical moment when world peace is achieved. On the other hand, I think there is certainly some sort of limit to how much we should spend on NASA's research.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofRedHelms View Post
That's why I don't think we should necessarily wait for that mythical moment when world peace is achieved. On the other hand, I think there is certainly some sort of limit to how much we should spend on NASA's research.
Doubling NASA's budget would definitely not bring it anywhere close to that limit.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpes View Post
Doubling NASA's budget would definitely not bring it anywhere close to that limit.
Oh, I wasn't referring to any specific amount. I don't have research and notes about any numbers in front of me, though it just makes sense that we watch ourselves. An abstract cop-out of an answer, I know.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Kingslayer

View Posts: 28,072

In my opinion, America should stop spending such a Ludacris amount of money on the military and spread it around to other things. NASA would be one of the things I'd like to see get more funding.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Fools. All of them.
Send a message via AIM to Rakshael Send a message via Skype™ to Rakshael
View Posts: 2,712

Stopping spending on military is foolish, except in the area of bringing our overseas empire back home. No one is launching massive space programs that threaten our security, so why waste the money? We kinda have to figure a way to get off-planet without making a hole in the ozone before we can safely engage in extraterrestrial colonization/exploration. Our current economic situation takes much higher precedence than space programs that do not actually benefit us.

#9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshael View Post
Stopping spending on military is foolish, except in the area of bringing our overseas empire back home. No one is launching massive space programs that threaten our security, so why waste the money? We kinda have to figure a way to get off-planet without making a hole in the ozone before we can safely engage in extraterrestrial colonization/exploration. Our current economic situation takes much higher precedence than space programs that do not actually benefit us.
You know, the first airplanes didn't have much practical use, either.
2 people liked this post: Bravo, Coconut Water
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Tsjeriåu, baibai
Send a message via Skype™ to Gaba
Steam ID: bluefireman33
View Posts: 6,062

What are we without science and exploration? I'd much have modern astronomy and space technology than war.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 12:42 PM

The US should definitely cut back on military spending. We should always have defense, but so far I haven't seen any real need for us to be stationed all over the globe, especially when many don't want us.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 12:47 PM
ZeldaMaster#1#1 ZeldaMaster#1#1 is a male United States ZeldaMaster#1#1 is offline
Asolare
View Posts: 7,900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamzee View Post
In my opinion, America should stop spending such a Ludacris amount of money on the military and spread it around to other things. NASA would be one of the things I'd like to see get more funding.
Exactly. NASA deserved four times the budget, not just two.

I view NASA as a conduit of science and science as knowledge that already has changed the way we live. So NASA is exploring space to invent better technologies created by observing the unknown that will improve lives everywhere. Hm....

In addition, we have some awe-inspiring pictures of real objects in space.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
1 person liked this post: Left4Cuccos
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Chief Justice Antonin Scalia
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro
Steam ID: Pietro672
View Posts: 8,844

Although the debt is a pressing issue, NASA only accounts for half of a percent of the US's total budget. It should definitely be increased in addition to reducing the US's military expenditures by 66-75%. Bring all the soldiers home, close all the bases and have the military's only role be defense and preventing genocide and human rights abuses.

That is not to say that most of the money saved should go to other programs, it should go to deficit reduction first and foremost.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Knight of Skyloft
Steam ID: Spoot
View Posts: 869

I'm not sure the military could respond to genocide and human rights abuses abroad without making us end up with tons of soldiers abroad... just like we have now (but not for the same reasons).
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 01:35 PM
-
View Posts: 8,224

Well, if Neil says we should... It probably makes sense. :b
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Kingslayer

View Posts: 28,072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshael View Post
NASA doesn't just give us spaceships to ride to the moon and take pretty pictures. Plenty of technology has been created or improved because of NASA.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 01:43 PM
Chief Justice Antonin Scalia
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro
Steam ID: Pietro672
View Posts: 8,844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left4Cuccos View Post
I'm not sure the military could respond to genocide and human rights abuses abroad without making us end up with tons of soldiers abroad... just like we have now (but not for the same reasons).
Sure they can in cooperation with other states eg. Libya. There's no reason the US should take on the entire burden of wars, just send a modest number of forces with other states doing the same.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Great White North Great White North is a male Prussia Great White North is offline
We are criminals!
Send a message via Skype™ to Great White North
Steam ID: Septemvile
View Posts: 4,554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
Sure they can in cooperation with other states eg. Libya. There's no reason the US should take on the entire burden of wars, just send a modest number of forces with other states doing the same.
The problem with that is that is dependent on the cooperation of other states who may not feel like doing a damn thing. It might be a shortage of money, military capability, or just commitment but the result is the same.

If other states don't want to join you on a human rights military intervention, you're down ❤❤❤❤ creek without a paddle.
"Your Father calls you to His Court. You need not pack; you go garbed in glory where you stand. He waits eagerly by His palace doors to welcome you, and has prepared a place at His high table by His side, in the company of the great-souled, honoured, and best beloved."
2 people liked this post: Golddron Sex, Raptor Buddha
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 03:38 PM

Regardless of whether or not we would decrease defense spending, NASA deserves an increase. Hell, it deserves for its budget to be tripled, quadrupled, quintupled, even. Asking to double its budget is not a great demand considering how important NASA is, not only for space exploration, but as a symbol of science.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Cayenne Pepper Cayenne Pepper is a female United States Cayenne Pepper is offline
en de'ez ia! "Murica
View Posts: 4,250

While I agree with that sentiment, I have to disagee. There are too many thing wrong with America that money can be thrown at to even double NASA's budget.

As much as I like the idea of space exploration, space travel should be the least of our concerns at the moment.

3DS FC