#161 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Scary beary.
Steam ID: mister_blak
View Posts: 1,263
Re: Should pot be legalized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis View Post
Yes, I can understand how it sounds stupid. But 1)marijuana isn't that bad of a drug and 2)I'm sure a lot of people on ZU have smoked weed, and that weed was probably bought from somewhere. Does that make them criminals?
Yes. Yes it does. I'm one of them.

But anyway, I doubt they'd go out of business. There is always a market for tax-free whatever (and pot tax would probably be around twice that of cigarettes), and a group of people used to living under the radar would probably be able to make a tidy sum in duty-free pot. Or maybe they'd move on to other crime. Or maybe they'd just be unemployed. ❤❤❤❤ if I know.

Actually, if a huge number of people have illicit drug running jobs, then surely this means that the US unemployment figures are significantly better than we thought? Either that or the argument is moot, and I'm struggling to be sympathetic as it is...
  #162 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 03:12 PM
I hope your day is as nice as your butt.
Send a message via Skype™ to Zottie
Steam ID: thall1599
View Posts: 6,929

I never really knew about cigarette taxes because I've never bought any. And, now that I think about it, a portion of the jobless citizens in America are probably doing some type of illegal drug business. Not all, but probably some, but that includes pot and other types of drugs. As with other types of drugs that really do have an affect on people, I have no sympathy for those businesses, Since I have close relations with pot and the business, I'd hate to see a lot of people around me losing their money, therefore the income for people in certain places would drop noticeably. But I don't see that much of a pot business in cities because you usually need a place to garden, and the rural area that I live at is perfect. But there is indoor growing where you spend a lot of money on lights to grow your plants. Certain places are better for growing than others, so places like San Francisco would probably experience far less of an affect in money than in Humboldt/Mendocino county and the major sources for marijuana distribution.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

FYI, people who want to grow a lot of pounds use greenhouses that you can't see through, from what I've gathered. The smart ones don't leave their pot out in the open for government helicopters to fly overhead and bust them. Just in case you guys were curious.
Last Edited by Zottie; 06-20-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #163 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Scary beary.

Can I just ask, what are the connections between marijuana and paranoia? I've been told that too much pot makes you paranoid, but it doesn't seem that anyone's brought it up yet...
  #164 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Scary beary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andross View Post
If pot was legalized, drug tests would eventually go the way of the dinosaur, and I would think that benefit alone would outweigh any negative effect it would have on those dependent on the sell of pot for survival. Heck, if anything, a large surge of unemployment is exactly what is needed to get the populace angry enough to kickstart the end of American Capitalism.
How would the loss of drug tests be good? I'm for legalisation, but I still don't want someone running me over in a drug-induced haze...
  #165 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Scary beary.

Oh, you meant in the workplace! I was thinking breathalyser-style!

But surely they wouldn't be testing for pot if it was legal? They don't test for fags, caffeine or alcohol currently, so why would they test for pot? And how would removing pot tests change anything after legalisation?
  #166 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Avalanchemike Avalanchemike is a male The Byzantine Empire Avalanchemike is offline
patron saint of subtlety
Send a message via Skype™ to Avalanchemike
Steam ID: Avalanchemike Wii U ID: AvaMike

View Posts: 25,546

Andross isn't saying that drug tests should go away, he's not advocating, for example, that someone working in a nuclear power plant should be allowed to take cocaine or heroin without repercussion or that in jobs where it could be incredibly dangerous to society at large there should be no drug tests done. Just that they won't be as common/prevalent in jobs where workers aren't necessary. The main reason drug tests are as prevalent as they are is because employers hate marijuana, so very often you're required to provide testing in jobs like BUGGIE PUSHER at a grocery store when really that's unnecessary.

Frankly as long as someone isn't smoking up on the job or coming into work wreaking of weed, there's really no reason that an employer should know or care what that employee does in their spare time.

"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong"
- G. K. Chesterton

#167 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 06:14 PM
DarkKnightGamer24 DarkKnightGamer24 is a male United States DarkKnightGamer24 is offline
Twili
View Posts: 427

Making Marijuana legal wouldn't effect jobs at all. If you sold pot and now the govt does you're not losing a job. Lol. What I mean is say Bob sells drugs and works at McDonalds then pot becomes legal, Bob didn't lose a job, he just lost an illegal source of income. He still has a job. It wouldn't effect the employment rates in America at all.

I make Let's Plays on YouTube

Currently Let's Playing: Final Fantasy IX/Batman Arkham City

DarkKnightGamer's Channel
Check out my channel and give me some feedback and constructive criticism please!
  #168 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Am I wrong? Have I run too far to get home?
View Posts: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnightGamer24 View Post
Making Marijuana legal wouldn't effect jobs at all. If you sold pot and now the govt does you're not losing a job. Lol. What I mean is say Bob sells drugs and works at McDonalds then pot becomes legal, Bob didn't lose a job, he just lost an illegal source of income. He still has a job. It wouldn't effect the employment rates in America at all.
I really think that if the government were going to legalize pot and sell it in stores like cigarettes or booze, then street dealers would be ❤❤❤❤ out of luck. If the government really wants to eliminate gang violence and drug trafficking they will sell pot on the white market for a far cheaper price than the typical $20US per g. Street dealers would thus not be able to compete. Not to mention regulated pot production would probably be safer than a lot of stuff bought off the streets.

W007!
yeah, i'm a linearist... what?!
1 person liked this post: Great White North
  #169 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 07:55 PM
Sounding a mosaic
Send a message via AIM to Razekial
View Posts: 2,808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Blak View Post
The thing is, though, alcohol is only legal for tradition's sake (AFAIK of course). If it were discovered today, it would be illegal. For obvious reasons. I'll admit that pot being illegal is a bit stupid, but I'm sure if it was something that everybody (by which I mean EVERYBODY) had been doing for millenia, it would be legal today.

As it is a more recent discovery, it's illegal. That's it. It may not be dangerous in small quantities, but lots of people lack the restraint to do things in moderation.

(You MAY want to suffix AFAIK to every statement I made there...)
Marijuana has an extensive history of usage dating back thousands of years. It is simply by virtue of the fact that in western culture alcohol was the drug of choice that we have the popular notion that it is okay. In other areas such as the middle east, the indian subcontinent, china, etc, marijuana has been used since pre-history.
  #170 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 04:49 AM
Scary beary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razekial View Post
Marijuana has an extensive history of usage dating back thousands of years. It is simply by virtue of the fact that in western culture alcohol was the drug of choice that we have the popular notion that it is okay. In other areas such as the middle east, the indian subcontinent, china, etc, marijuana has been used since pre-history.
Yes, but western culture (specifically European) is the culture thar matters here. This isn't me being racist, it's a fact- the basics of almost all laws in modern-day Europe, Africa and North America were set down by people who followed European culture. I have no idea about the legality of pot in Asia (is it shoot on sight? Prohibited? Encouraged? Discouraged but not enforced?), but in North America and Europe it is illegal because of European culture (AFAIK), and I believe that this is the subject of this thread.

Also, Demise, would you mind explaining that statement? I agree with you about the smell- the stuff reeks, and I know some people who vomit at it, but why is it inherently disgusting? And why would it cause you to lose friends once it's legalised?

As for 'one of the worst things out there': Alcohol, cigarettes, powdered cocaine, mushrooms, crack cocaine, solvent abuse, fast food, LSD, and of course heroin (which is THE worst) are all things worse than pot, and I've probably forgotten a load as well.
Last Edited by Blak; 06-21-2012 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #171 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 09:14 AM
I may not be perfect... but my dog loves me.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nesi
Steam ID: AlkalineCandy

View Posts: 18,429

Quote:
Yes, but western culture (specifically European) is the culture thar matters here.
Just because Western culture might be the norm, it doesn't make it right. The point it, marijuana has been used for thousands of years by other cultures - showing that the fuss about marijuana being extremely damaging is an exaggeration, as it's probably less detrimental to you than, say, smoking.

Observing what other cultures are doing is never a bad step as it can improve our Western culture. Just because this is what we've been doing for quite a while doesn't mean it does not warrant a change.
  #172 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 01:12 PM
That's your share of the loot. Enough to shut you up, I hope.
Send a message via Skype™ to Silver
Steam ID: tw64 3DS ID: 2921-9179-3622

View Posts: 25,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demise View Post
If it were legalized, wouldn't we maybe have to pay taxes for it? (Although, doubtful.) I heard something like that a few months ago, and if we had to pay taxes for something that we don't support just so stoners can shut up and get their way, is very unfair.
No. If it were legalised, the only people who would pay taxes on it would be the people who purchase it, similar to the tax on cigarettes that we have now. If you don't smoke weed and don't purchase it, then no extra taxes for you!

<Steam>
1 person liked this post: Pacem
  #173 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Sugar-Serpent Sugar-Serpent is a female England Sugar-Serpent is offline
Mogma
View Posts: 162

I'd rather have gay marriage legalized than any of these illegal recreational drugs.
1 person liked this post: Blak
  #174 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 02:37 PM

Well, in some jurisdictions you cannot smoke tobacco in public, or only in designated smoking areas, so I imagine it'd be similar for marijuana. As for the rules when it becomes legalised, that's kind of hard to say, as it depends on what the jurisdiction is.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Of The Universe View Post
I'd rather have gay marriage legalized than any of these illegal recreational drugs.
The two aren't mutually exclusive.

<Steam>
  #175 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Scary beary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestlé View Post
Just because Western culture might be the norm, it doesn't make it right. The point it, marijuana has been used for thousands of years by other cultures - showing that the fuss about marijuana being extremely damaging is an exaggeration, as it's probably less detrimental to you than, say, smoking.

Observing what other cultures are doing is never a bad step as it can improve our Western culture. Just because this is what we've been doing for quite a while doesn't mean it does not warrant a change.
I've been misunderstood. I'm not saying that western culture is the best, just that it is the one that dictates American laws, and so is the #1 reason that marijuana is illegal. Learning from other cultures is, usually, a good thing, but it's a very slow change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demise
Alright, that's much better I find. But even IF it becomes legalized, I still do not enjoy fact that anyone could just have pot on them, smoke it in public (or is there a rule against that?), and not get in trouble. I seriously hate the ****, but it can be something that's good to discuss.

What are the rules if it becomes legalized?
Once again, you have failed to explain the reasoning behind your statements. Why do you object to people having pot on them, and smoking it in public? Pot smoke is far less dangerous to a child than cigarette smoke, and people staggering around incredibly stoned would probably be perceived in the same way as people staggering around incredibly drunk, i.e. don't do it. And why do you 'seriously hate the ❤❤❤❤'?

The rules concerning pot would likely be a blend of those concerning alcohol and smoking- not while driving, not in the presence of children, etc.
Last Edited by Blak; 06-21-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #176 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 03:48 PM
I can see it...the rise of a digital nation.
Send a message via Skype™ to Lysis
Steam ID: lysate 3DS ID: ❤❤❤❤ if I'm gonna write down this whole damn thing, PM me or something.
View Posts: 19,713

Quote:
Alright, that's much better I find. But even IF it becomes legalized, I still do not enjoy fact that anyone could just have pot on them, smoke it in public (or is there a rule against that?), and not get in trouble. I seriously hate the ****, but it can be something that's good to discuss.

What are the rules if it becomes legalized?
you really shouldn't let your own personal tastes interfere with the lives of other people. I, personally, don't like coffee—it tastes and smells terrible! But I don't think that, just because I personally don't like it, that nobody ever anywhere should be allowed to drink it. That would be ridiculous!
(We rise to reset the world)
Though far apart, united by heart
(And fight forever!)”

twitter / tumblr / youtube
ΖU 2014 Best Youtuber/LPer
» ask me anything! «
4 people liked this post: Blak, Double A, Jodd, Pacem
  #177 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Scary beary.

Quote:
Because it's ****ing disgusting? Cigarrettes > pot. So shut up.
AZRAEL BLACK/ WHATEVER YOUR NEW NAME IS, PLEAAASE LEAVE THIS THREAD OPEN, I'M REALLY ENJOYING THE DISCUSSION!!!

Okay, I'm not sure where to start here, or even if your post will still have avoided deletion by the point this goes up, but sod it.

As Nyarlko said, your personal arbitrary unfounded OPINION (we all have them) is not a foundation for illegality. It's not enough to say that pot is disgusting- the mere sight of mushrooms (the food kind), makes me want to vomit. This is a bad foundation for making mushrooms illegal.

Cigarettes>Pot? Do you mean that Cigarette damage>pot damage? That the morality of cigarrettes>the morality of pot? I am perplexilated.

And please don't tell me to shut up. I'm only here to debate, to expand my mental horizons, to be put right where I'm wrong by a reasonable argument. 'Shut up' helps with none of these things.
Last Edited by Blak; 06-21-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #178 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 05:27 PM

I'm closing this for a while to give everyone a chance to calm the hell down.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Right, thread re-opened.

This is your final warning. Any more disrespectful and inflammatory behaviour will be met with an instant infraction. No warnings.

<Steam>
  #179 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-22-2012, 01:18 AM
Sounding a mosaic
Send a message via AIM to Razekial
View Posts: 2,808

Quote:
Yes, but western culture (specifically European) is the culture thar matters here. This isn't me being racist, it's a fact- the basics of almost all laws in modern-day Europe, Africa and North America were set down by people who followed European culture. I have no idea about the legality of pot in Asia (is it shoot on sight? Prohibited? Encouraged? Discouraged but not enforced?), but in North America and Europe it is illegal because of European culture (AFAIK), and I believe that this is the subject of this thread.
I wouldn't say it's illegal simply because of cultural differences, merely that due to the fact that it was never strongly associated with mainstream American/western culture it was easy for political opponents of the hemp industry to demonize cannabis (ex by associating its use with minority groups), thus playing on the xenophobia of early 20th century America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Blak
As for 'one of the worst things out there': Alcohol, cigarettes, powdered cocaine, mushrooms, crack cocaine, solvent abuse, fast food, LSD, and of course heroin (which is THE worst) are all things worse than pot, and I've probably forgotten a load as well.
You may be surprised to know that mushrooms and LSD are actually physically nontoxic substances, much in the same way that THC is nontoxic! This is of course not to imply that they should be taken lightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Of The Universe View Post
lol
Last Edited by Razekial; 06-22-2012 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Blak
  #180 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-22-2012, 02:00 AM
DarkKnightGamer24 DarkKnightGamer24 is a male United States DarkKnightGamer24 is offline
Twili
View Posts: 427

Like I said it should be legal with similar rules as alcohol, like no driving under the influence etc. I really cannot think of one good reason why it shouldn't be. It's healthier than cigarettes and alcohol, it could help the economy. Plus less people would go to jail over it. But the whole going to jail for selling drugs is stupid as is, with the exception of Meth. It would be less $ to send the young kids who get jail time from selling drugs to college than it is to keep them locked up in Prison!

I make Let's Plays on YouTube

Currently Let's Playing: Final Fantasy IX/Batman Arkham City

DarkKnightGamer's Channel
Check out my channel and give me some feedback and constructive criticism please!