Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #141 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2012, 08:13 AM
Dislutfate Dislutfate is a female Sweden Dislutfate is offline
No need to ask my name to figure out how cool I am.
Join Date: Jan 2009
View Posts: 4,803
Re: Should pot be legalized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamzee View Post
Yep! In fact I covered it earlier in this thread. Same page for me!
Oh wow, that's pretty neat. The more you know!
__________________
Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Jaime Lannister
  #142 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2012, 02:37 PM
kymeric kymeric is offline
Zora Warrior
Send a message via AIM to kymeric
Join Date: Jun 2007
View Posts: 319
Re: Should pot be legalized?

Way more money is made by it being illegal that would ever be made by legalization and taxation. The only way its ever gonna be 'decriminalized' is when the economy tanks to the point no one can pay for cops or courts.

The legal status of weed has nothing to do with medical value, morality or saftey. Its about $$
Reply With Quote
  #143 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Avalanchemike Avalanchemike is a male The Byzantine Empire Avalanchemike is offline
patron saint of subtlety
Send a message via Skype™ to Avalanchemike
Steam ID: Avalanchemike Wii U ID: AvaMike

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Borealia
View Posts: 25,454
Re: Should pot be legalized?

I don't think it will take the economy tanking in order for it to become regulated by the state. In Canada, dialogue has already begun by two of the three major political parties. Even the Conservatives, who as of yet have not declared support (and have done just the opposite with their omnibus crime law) for legalization measures, their leader has fully admitted that the war on drugs has failed just the past week whilst at the Summit of the Americas.

Even if you are American (forgive the presumption) if it becomes legalized within Canada the United States would likely feel a push towards doing so if only because of the drug tourists that chose to visit much closer Toronto over Amsterdam.
__________________


"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong"
- G. K. Chesterton

Last Edited by Avalanchemike; 04-21-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #144 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2012, 10:37 PM
kymeric kymeric is offline
Zora Warrior
Send a message via AIM to kymeric
Join Date: Jun 2007
View Posts: 319
Re: Should pot be legalized?

Yes i am in the US. Places where its been made medicinal get raided by the Feds. Totally never becoming legal here unless the government is too broke to pay cops or bribe people...
Reply With Quote
  #145 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Batrachius Batrachius is a male United States Batrachius is offline
kero-kero, kero-kero
Send a message via AIM to Batrachius Send a message via Yahoo to Batrachius

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rison, AR
View Posts: 2,072
Re: Should pot be legalized?

Lighting up a tightly packed bowl of pure psychic glee is clearly an immoral act, much like killing a child or defecating on a childhood pet. Death should be the immediate penalty.

MIND CRIME BRIGADE, ACTION!

Serious answer: I think I should be within my right to ingest whatever I'd like and to police such a thing as marijuana is far from fair in relation to other drugs like alcohol or nicotine. Big business is behind that little arrangement, I'm sure.
__________________
Satan in the Hearts of Little Children::Cryptic Verses::Sade::NPC Warehouse
MCCCXXXIV
wejustwantyoutoseethingsasclearlyaspossible.
Reply With Quote
  #146 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-24-2012, 12:10 AM
Farore's Apprentice Farore's Apprentice is a female United States Farore's Apprentice is offline
Gerudo Thief
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Right behind you.
View Posts: 145
Re: Should pot be legalized?

I don't think it should be legal for anything other than medicinal purposes. I don't see why we need another drug out there. I already wish that cigarettes and alcohol were illegal, but so many people are for that. I just see it as something that is messing people up. Of course, it isn't my choice of what people choose to do. I personally just wish it wasn't legal in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #147 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-24-2012, 06:35 PM
kymeric kymeric is offline
Zora Warrior
Send a message via AIM to kymeric
Join Date: Jun 2007
View Posts: 319
Re: Should pot be legalized?

Portugal legalized all drugs and after a breif upswing drug used dropped to almost nothing. Those that cant handle their $#!^ kill themselves off pretty quick.
Reply With Quote
  #148 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Silver Silver is a male Union of Britain Silver is online now
That's your share of the loot. Enough to shut you up, I hope.
Send a message via Skype™ to Silver
Steam ID: tw64 3DS ID: 2921-9179-3622

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Miklagard
View Posts: 24,718
Re: Should pot be legalized?

^ Decriminalizing Drugs in Portugal a Success, Says Report - TIME

It's important to note though that Portugal did not legalise drugs; rather, it decriminalised them, in that if you are caught with drugs, you get counselling instead of prison time (which saves money as incarcerating drug users is more expensive than rehabilitating them).

I wouldn't say drug use has dropped to almost nothing, but it has decreased substantially since they've been decriminalised.
__________________
Want the clan test? Send me a PM!

<Steam>
Last Edited by Silver; 04-24-2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #149 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 AM
ich Will Swedish Empire ich Will is offline
Fab Emblem
Join Date: Apr 2003
View Posts: 12,276
Re: Should pot be legalized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farore's Apprentice View Post
I don't think it should be legal for anything other than medicinal purposes. I don't see why we need another drug out there. I already wish that cigarettes and alcohol were illegal, but so many people are for that. I just see it as something that is messing people up. Of course, it isn't my choice of what people choose to do. I personally just wish it wasn't legal in the first place.
Agreed. Me having been a heavy pot-smoker, I disagree with the people arguing that it is supposedly such an innocent drug. You can argue the person is to blame for abuse, but I don't think that is entirely true in many cases. I could possibly accept legalization if it would help reduce problems in society though.
Last Edited by ich Will; 04-26-2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #150 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Big Daddy Big Daddy is a male United States Big Daddy is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Wall
View Posts: 447
Re: Should pot be legalized?

I don't know. I mean, I'm against any kind of drugs being used, considering people do some ❤❤❤❤ing stupid ❤❤❤❤ when they're high. Cigarettes are just about the dumbest addiction you can get; there is no upside, you're just killing your lungs and other people's. Cigarettes should never have been created, they just give thousands of people lung cancer a year with no positive effects.

Alcohol's pretty stupid, too. You damage your heart, liver, and brain cells. Your vision can become blurred, your coordination's usually messed up, your reaction time is slowed, and you aren't you. You think you're fine, but you're not. The killing of brain cells is extremely deprimental to teenagers who drink, considering their brains are in the peak of developing and drinking can significantly decrease that growth.

ALCOHOL'S DAMAGING EFFECTS ON THE BRAIN

Okay, so even if we "say" these negative effects don't exist, what about the social implications? Drinking has been linked to drunk driving and unneccessary deaths thousands of times. Drinking alcohol and doing drugs has also been linked to depression in teenagers, one of the top three leading causes of death in today's youth. When you drink frequently, you're also malnourished, as you're not getting enough Vitamin B1, A.K.A. Thiamine.

So my question to you is, why would anyone do this? "My life's hard and I need to drink." Jesus, no you don't. If your life is so "❤❤❤❤ty" because you father took away your phone, or your mother grounded you for disrespecting her, you deserve it. You're an arrogant teenager who needs to realize that you're far less important than you think you are and you deserve punishment for disrespecting your parents. Alcohol and drugs are detrimental to your body, because they've been linked to liver and brain cell loss, also considering they're a "life-line" to any semblance of a normal life you might have once had and you depend on it. You want to forget about the world, so you get wasted/blazed. But any half-decent person will realize that you need pain to get through the world.

And if there's one thing I can't stand, it's when someone says, "It's your life, do what you want with it." What the hell is wrong with you? People shoot people, and it's okay, since "they do what they want to". What kind of ❤❤❤❤ed-up morality is that? A drunk driver can kill innocent passerby? Drinking's okay since it can lead to a spiraling depression and cirrhosis? A man can rape a woman since it's "their life?" Drugs are okay since they mess with your brain? Drugs are illegal for a reason, as is alcohol until you're old enough. People need to be held responsible for their actions.

(I'm not using "you" like I'm calling anyone out, I'm using it in the general term.)
__________________


- Xanox

"What do you want from me?!"- Vanille, Final Fantasy 13.

Last Edited by Big Daddy; 06-19-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #151 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Jaime Lannister Sweden Jaime Lannister is offline
Kingslayer

Join Date: Jun 2006
View Posts: 28,442
Re: Should pot be legalized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post


So my question to you is, why would anyone do this? "My life's hard and I need to drink." Jesus, no you don't. If your life is so "❤❤❤❤ty" because you father took away your phone, or your mother grounded you for disrespecting her, you deserve it. You're an arrogant teenager who needs to realize that you're far less important than you think you are and you deserve punishment for disrespecting your parents. Alcohol and drugs are detrimental to your body, because they've been linked to liver and brain cell loss, also considering they're a "life-line" to any semblance of a normal life you might have once had and you depend on it. You want to forget about the world, so you get wasted/blazed. But any half-decent person will realize that you need pain to get through the world.
Most of your post I went ahead and am choosing not to respond to, however I am starting here with things like "also considering they're a "life-line" to any semblance of a normal life you might have once had and you depend on it. You want to forget about the world, so you get wasted/blazed. But any half-decent person will realize that you need pain to get through the world" do not make sense to me. Not everyone who does drugs is looking for an escape from reality.

Quote:
And if there's one thing I can't stand, it's when someone says, "It's your life, do what you want with it." What the hell is wrong with you? People shoot people, and it's okay, since "they do what they want to". What kind of ❤❤❤❤ed-up morality is that? A drunk driver can kill innocent passerby? Drinking's okay since it can lead to a spiraling depression and cirrhosis? A man can rape a woman since it's "their life?" Drugs are okay since they mess with your brain? Drugs are illegal for a reason, as is alcohol until you're old enough. People need to be held responsible for their actions.
Half right. Generally they also add (or imply) so long as you're not infringing on other peoples' rights and freedom. Everything you listed is clearly infringing on other people and isn't right.

Do you also believe that homosexuals should not have relationships, or that it should be illegal to practice Buddhism? These, just like drug use, are not inherently infringing on others' rights.

(As a side note, some drugs such as Marijuana are basically illegal because white people of the early 20th century didn't like black people, and continues to be illegal because of misinformation and the harm it'd cause to corporations)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #152 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Razekial Razekial is a male United States Razekial is offline
Sounding a mosaic
Send a message via AIM to Razekial
Join Date: Jul 2005
View Posts: 2,808
Re: Should pot be legalized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymeric View Post
Portugal legalized all drugs and after a breif upswing drug used dropped to almost nothing. Those that cant handle their $#!^ kill themselves off pretty quick.
For the sake of clarity, I'd like to express that the reason Portugal has experienced a decrease in levels of recreational drug use is *not* because of a rash of overdoses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
So my question to you is, why would anyone do this? "My life's hard and I need to drink." Jesus, no you don't. If your life is so "❤❤❤❤ty" because you father took away your phone, or your mother grounded you for disrespecting her, you deserve it. You're an arrogant teenager who needs to realize that you're far less important than you think you are and you deserve punishment for disrespecting your parents. Alcohol and drugs are detrimental to your body, because they've been linked to liver and brain cell loss, also considering they're a "life-line" to any semblance of a normal life you might have once had and you depend on it. You want to forget about the world, so you get wasted/blazed. But any half-decent person will realize that you need pain to get through the world.

And if there's one thing I can't stand, it's when someone says, "It's your life, do what you want with it." What the hell is wrong with you? People shoot people, and it's okay, since "they do what they want to". What kind of ❤❤❤❤ed-up morality is that? A drunk driver can kill innocent passerby? Drinking's okay since it can lead to a spiraling depression and cirrhosis? A man can rape a woman since it's "their life?" Drugs are okay since they mess with your brain? Drugs are illegal for a reason, as is alcohol until you're old enough. People need to be held responsible for their actions.

(I'm not using "you" like I'm calling anyone out, I'm using it in the general term.)
Your post seems to mainly focus on the negative effects of alcohol abuse (and there are of course many), but you use these statements as a jumping off point to branching criticisms against mind-altering substances in general. No two chemicals are exactly the same in effect and a given substance is not detrimental simply by virtue of having a psychoactive effect.

That being said, while sweeping generalizations about drug abuse amongst teenagers and young adults are certainly fun to throw out, your statements are so hypothetical they are rendered moot. You are attacking a straw man throughout that entire paragraph.

As far as the statement "it's your life you can do what you want with it" is concerned, your arguments are not considering the fact that recreational drug use is a victimless crime, when done responsibly. Of course there are those short-sighted individuals who put both themselves and others in harm's way by driving while intoxicated, but I would wager that for every one of those fools there may be several people who socially drink and have never caused harm to anyone. I would also like to point out that your examples regarding rape and murder are wholly and totally out of context and the topic at hand is in no way related. It is possible to drink responsibly, but of course there is no such thing as responsible murder or responsible assault. The examples are frankly ridiculous and do not fit the context.

Finally, I would like to say that the statement that drugs are illegal for a reason is incorrect. Of the schedule one drugs, you would be surprised to learn that a good majority of them are less detrimental to our bodies than alcohol or tobacco. This is not to say that alcohol and tobacco should be made illegal, only that there needs to occur a radical paradigm shift amongst legislators and policymakers if we can ever hope to have a drug policy that is in fact rooted in logic.
__________________
Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Silver
  #153 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Majora's Mask Majora's Mask is a male United States Majora's Mask is offline
Gerudo Thief
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
View Posts: 120
Re: Should pot be legalized?

I think it should be legal, because that would stop all the crap happening in Mexico, But, the government shouldnt have a say in whats in the substance, it should just be 100% weed...But for now, buy it anyways
Reply With Quote
  #154 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 12:56 PM
DarkKnightGamer24 DarkKnightGamer24 is a male United States DarkKnightGamer24 is offline
Twili
Join Date: Jun 2012
View Posts: 405
Re: Should pot be legalized?

I think it should be legal because there is absolutely NO argument for it to be illegal. It's less harmful than alcohol and that is legal! When's the last time you heard of someone overdosing on weed? Oh yeah that's right that doesn't happen. If you want to light up, go right ahead.
__________________
Twilight Princess > Ocarina of Time > Wind Waker > A Link to the Past > Skyward Sword > Majora's Mask

I make Let's Plays on YouTube


Currently Let's Playing: Final Fantasy IX/Batman Arkham City

DarkKnightGamer's Channel
Check out my channel and give me some feedback and constructive criticism please!
Last Edited by DarkKnightGamer24; 06-20-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #155 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Blak Blak is a male North Korea Blak is offline
Glorious Leader
Steam ID: mister_blak
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pyongyongyongyongyang
View Posts: 1,255
Re: Should pot be legalized?

The thing is, though, alcohol is only legal for tradition's sake (AFAIK of course). If it were discovered today, it would be illegal. For obvious reasons. I'll admit that pot being illegal is a bit stupid, but I'm sure if it was something that everybody (by which I mean EVERYBODY) had been doing for millenia, it would be legal today.

As it is a more recent discovery, it's illegal. That's it. It may not be dangerous in small quantities, but lots of people lack the restraint to do things in moderation.

(You MAY want to suffix AFAIK to every statement I made there...)
Reply With Quote
  #156 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 02:38 PM
eightche eightche is a male United States eightche is offline
Kokiri
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
View Posts: 71
Re: Should pot be legalized?

I'm not sure if I'm qualified to say for sure whether pot should be legalized. I know it's basically harmless. I know that a system that legalizes alcohol and caffeine but bans marijuana is running off of a double standard.

One argument against pot says that it's a harmful drug. I don't think pot is really good for you, but lots of things aren't. A Big Mac is probably more harmful than pot. Banning pot for this reason seems like, as I said before, a double standard.

Another argument says that pot, while mostly unharmful, is a gateway drug to drugs that are harmful. I don't know how to respond to this argument, but (1) I'd need to see some statistical evidence and (2) we'd need to reevaluate other "gateway" activities that lead to harmful activities. On the whole, it's a pretty convoluted argument that's not too convincing.
Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Blak
  #157 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Scanty Sealand Scanty is offline
I hope your day is as nice as your butt.
Send a message via Skype™ to Scanty
Steam ID: thall1599
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Junction R-7
View Posts: 6,793
Re: Should pot be legalized?

I should say that, where I live, a huge chunk of peoples' money from from the growing, buying, and selling of marijuana. Where I live exactly is north of San Francisco, at the Humboldt/Mendocino county area. From from I've gathered, we're kind of renown for our marijuana, and some people even travel to the lower parts of California to sell their pot.

If marijuana were legalized, at least in the state I live in, many of us who rely on pot for a chunk of our income will become poor to flat-out broke, and would need to find a legal job, except there isn't much for jobs in a rural place like this, so a lot of people would need to move south, but I've heard that places like San Francisco and Los Angeles are just as sparse when it comes to job opportunities. Correct me if I'm wrong.

For those who grow marijuana, the legalization of it would cripple their business. And the joblessness percentage in America is already high enough. It isn't like pot is killing or seriously harming anyone. It's just that the price of it would plummet if it were legalized, and people would possibly have less of a need for doctors and medication if they could just grow weed in their backyard, since it's used for medical things such as the amelioration of nausea and vomiting, gastrointestinal illness, and other things, though obviously it isn't a miracle drug and people would need doctors and other types of medication, so doctors would get less money if people could grow it freely. But I know what some of you are saying: ❤❤❤❤ DOCTORS. THEY'RE JUST TRYING TO GET MORE OF OUR MONEY. I also agree with you there, and have done my best to spend money only when I feel it is necessary (this is why I have only bought on video game is the past two years), and I hate it when I feel that doctors have sucked up a bunch of my money, but the legalization would cause certain businesses to get less money, especially those who make part of their living off of selling it.

As long as America is run on Capitalism and greed, I'd rather have more money than less. This is coming from someone who has met plenty of people who've been in the marijuana business. They range from growing and selling a little weed on the side to growing 50+ pounds up in the mountains. However, I have no plans to live my adult life on this business, and I've never even smoked/bought/sold weed.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #158 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 02:42 PM
eightche eightche is a male United States eightche is offline
Kokiri
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
View Posts: 71
Re: Should pot be legalized?

Is that really a good argument? If pot is legalized, a bunch of criminals will lose money because they ran an illegal business. Sounds fair to me.
Reply With Quote
  #159 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Scanty Sealand Scanty is offline
I hope your day is as nice as your butt.
Send a message via Skype™ to Scanty
Steam ID: thall1599
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Junction R-7
View Posts: 6,793
Re: Should pot be legalized?

Yes, I can understand how it sounds stupid. But 1)marijuana isn't that bad of a drug and 2)I'm sure a lot of people on ZU have smoked weed, and that weed was probably bought from somewhere. Does that make them criminals?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #160 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 02:49 PM
eightche eightche is a male United States eightche is offline
Kokiri
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
View Posts: 71
Re: Should pot be legalized?

The commonness of an illegal activity doesn't make it less illegal. I'm not saying there's anything intrinsically wrong with smoking, but it's still legally wrong.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -