#81 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 02:26 AM
Joseph Joestar Joseph Joestar is a male United States Joseph Joestar is offline
OHHH MY GOD
View Posts: 4,687
Re: Slut shaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite and Deigh View Post
I think this is a perfectly acceptable opinion if you truly view a male slut just as bad as a female slut.

It rarely is though. Men are normally respected for high amounts of sexual partners, women are shamed for it.
I thought they were labeled as chauvinistic pigs.
  #82 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 02:59 AM
The "he" in Catastrophe
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Wii U ID: 80espiay

View Posts: 14,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGman335 View Post
I don't respect men for high amounts of sexual partners. One of my friends from high school visited from college recently and was bragging about how many girls he had slept with. He has definitely gone down a few notches in my book.
I think the point was that men are more likely to brag about multiple female sex partners than females are about multiple male sex partners.

A Fedora || "Rex" || Bored? || PM me to join the Mario Kart 8 Skype group
  #83 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 AM
Sharia for the UK Sharia for the UK is a male United States Sharia for the UK is offline
Hate my life, love myself
View Posts: 4,842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollux View Post
I thought they were labeled as chauvinistic pigs.
They sometimes are by a few people, but even being a chauvinist pig calls for a lot more respect then whore.
  #84 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 05:53 AM
Being a lunatic isn't enough
View Posts: 1,929

Why do some people refer to women as "females" but still call men "men"? It really annoys me.

And yes, although many people may disapprove of men sleeping around it's still seems to be considered less shameful for a man to be promiscuous than it is for women. Being referred to as a stud or player or even a pimp is basically a compliment for a man and there are few insulting words for them. On the other hand, there are so many words for a promiscuous woman and nearly all of them are insults.
  #85 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 08:28 AM
F.O.E. Hunter
Send a message via AIM to Hoopy Frood
Steam ID: powerageshadow
View Posts: 6,825

Quote:
Originally Posted by article posted earlier

A woman goes out to a club wearing stilettos and a miniskirt with no underwear.

She gets pretty drunk and stumbles home in the wrong direction.

She ends up lost in a bad neighborhood. She gets raped.

Is she to blame in some way? Was this her fault? Was she asking for it?
No, no, and no.

However, had she taken some precautions and not made a long list of bad decisions, she might have had a better evening. It's like I, and several others have said, we live in a world where you should probably expect the worst in a lot of situations. I'm not saying that's fair or okay, because it isn't. It ♥♥♥♥ing sucks.

I'm merely asking women (and men, for that matter) to be careful.

Let's Play/Game Commentary |Twitter | Gaming Blog

Voted #1 Biggest Video Game Nerd Summer 2014
1 person liked this post: Flames of Valor
  #86 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Reach out to the truth.
Send a message via AIM to Brotagonist Send a message via Skype™ to Brotagonist
Steam ID: wolfennights

View Posts: 17,651

I like how you all are talking about how victims can prevent rape rather than teaching the perpetrators not to rape. No one is denying that by dressing as a sexless blob and never going outside can probably keep you safe. But is that REALLY the thing you wanna say to a person who has been a victim? And when you make excuses for rapists, you prevent them from actually being prosecuted because the victim doesn't feel like reporting it because (s)he feels like it's his/her fault.

THIS is the message we should be sending:

Not this:

Tumblr!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I read "therapist" as "goat".
4 people liked this post: Boxer Briefs, Kuden, Prometheus, Scarrrrr
  #87 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 09:23 AM
F.O.E. Hunter

@AJ

Nah dawg, listen.

Rapists are bad. There's literally no excuse for what they do to people and should be punished for what they've done.

But you're ignoring a sad truth here. Rape is going to happen, no matter how many advertisements and messages we send. To deny that is naive.

So why not take precautions to keep yourself safe? That's literally all I'm saying here.

#88 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 AM
DAN-001
View Posts: 817

I'm just going to go out and say it.

Don’t go out and get drunk, you could be raped. Don’t have sex with someone because someone they know could rape you. Don’t be young because youth attracts rapists. Don’t be a child, child abuse is quite common. Don’t be old and alone since you won’t be able to fight the rapist. Don’t live in elderly homes, you may be asking for trouble. Don’t be single; rapists think single girls are sluts and deserve rape. Don’t be married, haven’t you heard of marital rape? Don’t go jogging, you can be raped. Don’t use public toilets, rapists are lurking. Don’t be unconscious or dying; or you’ll get yourself raped. Injured. Raped. Disabled. Raped. Alone. Raped. Asking for lifts. You guessed it.

Don’t even bathe naked; you could get raped. Don’t wear skimpy clothes, dunno when somebody watching you may get hormonal. Don’t wear baggy clothing, gowns or burkhas either, it plays on the rapist’s imagination. Don’t have a father, brother, uncle or grandfather. You could get raped by them. Don’t even think of having a step-father. So raped. Don’t be ugly, you could deserve rape. Don’t be beautiful, you will be too tempting. Don’t flirt, this can get you raped. Don’t be rude to men — they may want revenge. Don’t take public transport. Raped. Don’t drive your own car, what if someone hid in the back seat, you could get raped. Don’t sell sex or anything close to it. Raped, raped, raped!

Don’t be mistaken for someone who might sell sex. Obviously, you would get raped. Don’t be a nurse, waitress, teacher, police woman, or hairdresser. They can get raped, even by colleagues. Don’t dance, you could be raped. Don’t relax, it may look like you want it. Don’t be stupid, don’t be naive, you’ll deserve what comes to you. Don’t be adventurous, only stupid women do that and get raped. Don’t be silent, how will anyone know you didn’t want rape. Don’t be scared, weakness arouses rapists. Don’t trust, don’t be awed, don’t be flattered — that could get you raped.

So there’s only one way you can avoid being raped. Simply don’t exist!

No matter how many precautions somebody takes, if a rapist wants to rape, they are going to do it no matter how 'correct' you are acting.
Last Edited by Prometheus; 01-24-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
5 people liked this post: Brotagonist, Luna Tique, Nyook, Pacem, Scarrrrr
  #89 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 09:33 AM
F.O.E. Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Man View Post
No matter how many precautions somebody takes, if a rapist wants to rape, they are going to do it no matter how 'correct' you are acting.
And no matter how many times you tell a rapist that wants to rape that rape is wrong they're still going to rape.

So what's the point at all?

(I realize your post was largely satirical, but you still brought up a good point at the end there)

#90 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 10:03 AM

View Posts: 10,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry Punch View Post
And no matter how many times you tell a rapist that wants to rape that rape is wrong they're still going to rape.

Because more often than not, even when they acknowledge that rape is wrong, they won't actually believe that what they have done counts as rape. This thread alone has been a great example of how many misconceptions there are about it - my impression thus far is that many here seem to believe that rape only counts as rape so long as it is accompanied by physical violence (or the spoken threat of it). Numerous surveys seem to back this up, as often people will actually anonymously admit to having raped someone else - but only if the word "rape" isn't mentioned.

If only rape prevention strategies would focus more on addressing the rape-supportive attitudes of society at large, as opposed to telling potential victims to limit their own freedoms to keep themselves safe, it would go a long way towards eliminating this misconception.
  #91 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Reach out to the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry Punch View Post

(I realize your post was largely satirical, but you still brought up a good point at the end there)
The point of it is that by doing this, the first question a police officer or an attorney asks a rape victim won't be "What were you wearing? How much did you have to drink? Did you flirt with him? How many other people have you slept with? Have you slept with him before?"

Tumblr!
Quote:
1 person liked this post: Scarrrrr
  #92 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 11:34 AM
I brush after every meal.
Wii U ID: KeeSomething
View Posts: 2,876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Man View Post
Read my post. While this may be true, people can obviously take proactive steps to avoid being a target. Loose girls are easier targets, especially when they are walking places with bad people.

Why are people denying that a woman can take precautions?
Last Edited by KeeSomething; 01-24-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Jeff
  #93 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Reach out to the truth.

It's not that people are denying that you should take precautions, it's that the message of "take precautions" is the only message that people receive in regards to rape. It's similar to how in high school, everyone tells you to "ignore the bullies and they'll just go away" instead of telling people not to bully each other.

Tumblr!
Quote:
1 person liked this post: Luna Tique
  #94 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Being a lunatic isn't enough
View Posts: 1,929

Yes, it is a better idea for women to take precautions. But if she doesn't and is raped then she should not be blamed for it, the rapist is the one who should be blamed. I'm sick of reading articles where a woman is raped and people write comments blaming her for it because of some small mistake she made. It's like with that case of Lara Logan. EVERY SINGLE ♥♥♥♥ING TIME I read an article on it there's always several people going "Oh she was stupid to go to Egypt, blah blah blah." It's dangerous for men in Egypt too, it's dangerous for EVERYONE but people still need to go there to report. If one of the men working as a journalist had been dragged off and beaten up, would they have blamed him for going to Egypt? Probably not nearly as much.
Last Edited by Luna Tique; 01-24-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: Boxer Briefs, Kuden, Lanayru_
  #95 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Cloud Cuckoolander

View Posts: 1,841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jack View Post
It's not that people are denying that you should take precautions, it's that the message of "take precautions" is the only message that people receive in regards to rape. It's similar to how in high school, everyone tells you to "ignore the bullies and they'll just go away" instead of telling people not to bully each other.
Part of this may have to do with some of my cynicism, but if we were to use the bully analogy, we'd have to understand that - short of the reconstruction of human social mentality and groupthink, which would probably require something akin to transhumanism or close to - bullying won't disappear. Ever. Yes, we should discourage people not to bully, but - at the same time - we should also recognize the truth that, despite the fact that it's wrong, bullying is not going to stop no matter how much we try to eliminate it, and it is not inadvisable to teach potential victims ways to take precautions.

In other words, should we be tackling the source of the problem? Yes; definitely, infinitely yes. But should we delude ourselves into thinking the problem will just simply go away? Probably not. Idealism is great, but victims aren't going to be comforted by lofty ideals. There has to be a sense of practicality, even if that pill's a bit bitter.
People are not stupid. They believe things for reasons. The last way for skeptics to get the attention of bright, curious, intelligent people is to belittle or condescend or to show arrogance toward their beliefs.
Last Edited by Ysionris; 01-24-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
4 people liked this post: Calypso, Flames of Valor, Jeff, KeeSomething
  #96 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
What are you proposing? That instead of girls staying away from shady people and lifestyle, they should confront rapists and tell them they are wrong?

As an individual, you have to understand that you can't control everything. You could be killed in a car crash, struck by lightning in a storm, or be shanked in a bad neighborhood. You never have 100% control over everything, but you can control your actions, like by being proactive. You can wear a seat belt and be alert for crazy drivers on the road. You can avoid wearing a metal conductor if you feel the need to go out in a thunderstorm. And you can avoid going down that bad neighborhood only or at all.

I'm talking in circles now, but being responsible and alert are great attributes to have. A girl who is wearing close to nothing and decides to walk down a shady street is not responsible. That doesn't mean she deserves to be raped, and that the rapist is not at fault, but the girl most likely would have never been put into that situation if she made better decisions.

Again, it's not black and white. Just being a girl (or guy) makes poor choices doesn't give anyone the right to hurt them, but there is certainly an advantage to making the right choices.
  #97 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Sage of Wisdom
Send a message via AIM to Red Dingo
View Posts: 1,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kee-Something View Post
Again, it's not black and white. Just being a girl (or guy) makes poor choices doesn't give anyone the right to hurt them, but there is certainly an advantage to making the right choices.
But it is black and white that if you choose to rape someone, no matter how many "poor choices" he or she, then you should be held responsible choosing to rape someone. That the victim acted irresponsibly should have no mitigating influence on the sentencing of the criminal.
  #98 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Reach out to the truth.

It also ignores instances when a woman is raped by her boyfriend or a family member.

Tumblr!
Quote:
  #99 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 04:55 PM
There is no such thing as innocence. Only degrees of guilt.
Steam ID: The Arbitrator
View Posts: 9,231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dingo View Post
But it is black and white that if you choose to rape someone, no matter how many "poor choices" he or she, then you should be held responsible choosing to rape someone. That the victim acted irresponsibly should have no mitigating influence on the sentencing of the criminal.
As far as I'm aware, no one is suggesting that. People are just suggesting that while you can try and tackle the source of the problem (people raping), it's advisable to also take precautionary measures to reduce the problem.

In a way, it's like saying yes, we should try to cure cancer, but we could also take preventative measures so as not to get cancer.

It's not an issue of "prevention or cure", it's an issue of both, and there are things that can be done on both sides of the coin to prevent rapes. Women electing not to dress provocatively in an environment in which it is likely that there will be seedy types who will react to that is a preventative measure, not an anti-feminist perspective. It's anti-feminist to suggest that they would be "asking for it" in that scenario - as far as I'm aware no one's saying they would be.

(For the record and the avoidance of doubt, the law agrees with you - when looking at the mitigating factors that affect the sentence of a sexual offender, they're all things like "he's only TECHNICALLY a rapist because both of the consenting parties are under 16" or things like that, and there is no mitigation available for saying "she provoked me" or "we had a sexual history").

"Even should the heavens fall, let Justice prevail."
Last Edited by Lord Zero; 01-24-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Raptor Buddha, Silver Lining
  #100 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dingo View Post
Yes, I absolutely agree.

Quote:
It also ignores instances when a woman is raped by her boyfriend or a family member.
You must've missed the good part. I actually talked about that a page back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kee-Something View Post
This isn't black and white, guys. Most sexual assaults are carried out by family members--those are situations where no amount of precautions can protect you. However, there are situations where a trampy girl goes to a party, teases guys and even preforms sexual acts for them, then she passes out from getting too drunk, and she is shocked when she wakes up and her butt is sore.

I have much more sympathy for the person who is stuck living with a family member who molests them than I do some loose girl who constantly puts herself in harm's way.
It's a completely different situation, but the person who commits the act of rape is and should be guilty. We all already know that, though.
Last Edited by KeeSomething; 01-24-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote

Tags
feminism, oppression, slut shaming

« Drugs | Ron Paul »