Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #321 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Flames of Valor Flames of Valor is a male United States Flames of Valor is offline
Sapere aude
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: America
View Posts: 5,312
Re: Slut shaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
I don't get it. The two are basically the same.
What one deserves does not require them to be thought of as weak nor strong.

Quote:
Since when is a "crime" (in a general sense) not taken seriously because of the motivation?
Because of society's outlook. That is what we were discussing, was it not?
__________________
Last Edited by Flames of Valor; 01-31-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #322 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Awakening Awakening is a male Australia Awakening is offline
Hylian
Join Date: Jun 2010
View Posts: 605
Re: Slut shaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
I for one find it hard to respect someone who sleeps with many different people. For both males and females.
Why? No one ever comes up with a logical answer to this?

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dingo View Post
But men do get scrutinized sexually. Men are expected to lose their virginity at an early age and have many partners afterwards if they want to be considered anything of value. That's why you see a stereotype of 30+ year old virgins in modern media.

This like the gender discrimination that women face, is a relic of an old society. A messed up one that pressures boys to lose their virginity as soon as possible while demanding that girls keep theirs to the death. Moralism.

I'm not going to argue that men had it worse than women in terms of gender discrimination, but it exists for both genders. It wasn't simply one sex oppressing another. It was males being in a higher tier than females while both were constrained by unnecessary morals.

Feminism, Masculism, Humanism, all of these are means towards what our true goal should be.
Maybe your right. I just feel bad for girls who exercise their freedoms who get told they are either "prudes" or "sluts" - I respect all people. You know even people hate on pornstars, I don't really know why. They are just human beings, no different from anyone else in the grand scheme of things. Flesh and blood all of that.

I think humans put unecessary emphasis on sex. We are no longer a species of survival, but of social. This urge to mate and socializing that has just gone in the wrong direction. It should be a non-issue WHAT people do in their private lives provided it is consentual.
Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Silver
  #323 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Jaime Lannister Swedish Empire Jaime Lannister is offline
Kingslayer
Join Date: Jun 2006
View Posts: 27,735
Re: Slut shaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post

Was this not my point?
I have absolutely no clue what your point was.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #324 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Double A Double A is a male New Zealand Double A is offline
lou you le
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Three Sage Summit
View Posts: 13,473
Re: Slut shaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames of Valor View Post
What one deserves does not require them to be thought of as weak nor strong.
Oh, THAT's what you meant by "what could a woman possibly have done"? I thought you were referring to how helpless (and therefore weak) she apparently was during the attack.

The only thing to be gleaned from the multiple viewpoints is simply that males and females both have different negative stereotypes.
__________________


What does Double A really want? || "An awesome companion" || Bored?
Quote:
[8:29:31 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: so I ran away cos 40 year old women are not attractive
[8:29:40 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: but it was a dream so I couldnt run
Last Edited by Double A; 02-01-2012 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Common Knowledge, Flames of Valor
  #325 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Flames of Valor Flames of Valor is a male United States Flames of Valor is offline
Sapere aude
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: America
View Posts: 5,312
Re: Slut shaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
Oh, THAT's what you meant by "what could a woman possibly have done"? I thought you were referring to how helpless (and therefore weak) she apparently was during the attack.

The only thing to be gleaned from the differing viewpoints is simply that males and females both have negative stereotypes.
Yeah

I was just trying to highlight that there can be different interpretations between situations and people.

And I definitely agree with the final point you made there.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #326 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Ningan the Lone Ninja Ningan the Lone Ninja is a male United Kingdom Ningan the Lone Ninja is offline
Sheikah
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hidden Village
View Posts: 5,379
Re: Slut shaming

Hey, I'm back to see how the discussion's getting along! I notice that you've all gone pretty off-topic, by talking about the definition of feminism rather than slut shaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarael View Post
Ningan, the onus is on you to back up your argument. You've been presented with statistics that negate your claim that what a woman is wearing plays a significant role in whether or not she will be raped. If all you can say in response is that the statistics are false because women are liars...well, of course your posts are going to be criticised.
Lysis just said my posts were disgusting, and clearly didn't read them. I was presented with statistics, which were created from total ignorance and denial. Of course a woman isn't going to say "I'm a slut." That's not calling women liars, it's calling them deniers. I will find my statistics which prove my point, (when I have the time) and they will be from a reliable source, not from some communist newspaper which says women and men are equal in every way, and all women dress smartly and reveal only their ankles.

Anyway, don't bother replying to this, because I probably won't reply back. But because I leave a thread because I'm tired with large amounts of coursework to do, it does not mean that I surrender and that you are right. Ciao!
__________________
Last Edited by Ningan the Lone Ninja; 02-01-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #327 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Avalanchemike Avalanchemike is a male The Byzantine Empire Avalanchemike is offline
patron saint of subtlety
Send a message via Skype™ to Avalanchemike

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Borealia
View Posts: 24,581
Re: Slut shaming

Ningan, you have consistently lied and ignored any evidence presented that repudiates your points in order to make your argument sound better. Even now you go so far as to say that the statistics presented were created from ignorance and denial, however the only contended these repudiations through libel and proclamation that your opinion is supreme on this matter.

Allow me to be clear on this, you are not being punished or singled out for your opinion. Other members who've expressed similar views are not going to be punished simply because they've said "wearing proper clothes prevents rape" or something like that. This is purely because you wilfully ignore evidence presented within discussions that shows you are wrong.

This behaviour cannot be continued with the Serious Discussion board. It causes nothing but trouble and from this point forward, if you continue your posts will be deleted and further if you do not stop after that you will be punished for deliberately causing trouble.

Do not respond to this post within this thread. If you have a problem with it, send a private message to me or a moderator of the Serious Discussion board.

Further I ask other members to not respond to either the post I am addressing or this post, for the sake of continuing the discussion at hand.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #328 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Slimer Slimer is a male United States Slimer is offline
Slimer
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: America
View Posts: 1,269
Re: Slut shaming

The creator of this topic thinks that people who are known for being trashy, unintelligent, and exchanges bodily fluids with other people on a regular basis does not reserve to be made fun of.

Also, this topic is somehow about rape, which implies that those who associate "sluts" with "rape" assume "rape victims are sluts" by association.

Which is bull♥♥♥♥.

Edit: In response to the comment "What could she have possibly done" it is common knowledge that women are weaker, physically, than men. That's biology, not sexism.
Last Edited by Slimer; 02-01-2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #329 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Double A Double A is a male New Zealand Double A is offline
lou you le
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Three Sage Summit
View Posts: 13,473
Re: Slut shaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakrousis View Post
The creator of this topic thinks that people who are known for being trashy, unintelligent, and exchanges bodily fluids with other people on a regular basis does not reserve to be made fun of.
Nobody deserves to be made fun of.

Though whether or not someone deserves to be criticized is a whole other matter. Lack of intelligence COULD be a reason to criticize somebody, as could their "trashy" sense of fashion.

But I don't really see why the number of sexual partners one has is by itself grounds for criticizing them.
__________________


What does Double A really want? || "An awesome companion" || Bored?
Quote:
[8:29:31 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: so I ran away cos 40 year old women are not attractive
[8:29:40 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: but it was a dream so I couldnt run
Reply With Quote
  #330 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Awakening Awakening is a male Australia Awakening is offline
Hylian
Join Date: Jun 2010
View Posts: 605
Re: Slut shaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
But I don't really see why the number of sexual partners one has is by itself grounds for criticizing them.
As I said before. No one has ever presented a rational argument as to why "sluts" are inherently bad?

I don't like the word slut because it is derogatory, I don't believe in derogating (word?) people who exercise their personal freedoms and don't seek to cause harm to others - this is all I see in what people define as a "slut".

Why can't we as a society respect and care for all people who do not seek harm on others? Why must we constantly be blaming, accusing, name calling and attacking those with different lifestyles? Be them promiscuous, prudent or anything in between!

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakrousis View Post
it is common knowledge that women are weaker, physically, than men. That's biology, not sexism.
I think it is important to be pedantic here. This is incorrect.

I will rephrase this: it is common knowledge that women are, in general, weaker, physically, than men. That's biology, not sexism

I know heaps of women who are stronger then me, and I am a man. Thus your original statement is untrue. Your modified one, thanks to yours truly, is more closer to the facts.
Last Edited by Awakening; 02-01-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Double A, Prometheus
  #331 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Double A Double A is a male New Zealand Double A is offline
lou you le
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Three Sage Summit
View Posts: 13,473
Re: Slut shaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakrousis View Post
Someone's pretentious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Era
Irrelevant Conclusion (a.k.a. red herring)--diverts attention away from a fact in dispute rather than address it directly. Example: “Ganondorf's tax policies may be popular, but I suspect he had an affair and is paying that Gerudo whore to keep quiet. The media should investigate that!”
A red herring (the unrelated alleged affair) attempts to change the subject away from the popular policies. However, if the original discussion were of Ganondorf's public integrity (encompassing both popularity and conduct), this argument could be perfectly valid.
__________________


What does Double A really want? || "An awesome companion" || Bored?
Quote:
[8:29:31 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: so I ran away cos 40 year old women are not attractive
[8:29:40 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: but it was a dream so I couldnt run
Reply With Quote
  #332 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Slimer Slimer is a male United States Slimer is offline
Slimer
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: America
View Posts: 1,269
Re: Slut shaming

He corrected me by changing a single word, although it was already understandable, then proceeded to stroke his ego about it; despite the fact that everyone knows that not every single man is stronger, physically, than every single woman. Also, it could only fit under "red herring" definition if he had a point, validity, and if i was not completely clear and not trying to distract from a logical flaw
Reply With Quote
  #333 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Double A Double A is a male New Zealand Double A is offline
lou you le
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Three Sage Summit
View Posts: 13,473
Re: Slut shaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakrousis View Post
He corrected me by changing a single word, although it was already understandable, then proceeded to stroke his ego about it; despite the fact that everyone knows that not every single man is stronger, physically, than every single woman. Also, it could only fit under "red herring" definition if he had a point, validity, and if i was not completely clear and not trying to distract from a logical flaw
In that case, don't quote his entire post and make it seem as if the entire post reeks of pretentiousness. I thought you were referring to the first part of his post as well, diverting attention away from the flawed position that "sluts" deserve to be "made fun of".
__________________


What does Double A really want? || "An awesome companion" || Bored?
Quote:
[8:29:31 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: so I ran away cos 40 year old women are not attractive
[8:29:40 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: but it was a dream so I couldnt run
Reply With Quote
  #334 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Coconut Water United States Coconut Water is offline
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Send a message via Skype™ to Coconut Water

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Santos
View Posts: 35,494
Re: Slut shaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysionris View Post
Curiously, why are men not demeaned by the same criteria?
I believe they are.

--Talking in general now, not in direct reply to the quote...--


I don't demean anyone for their dress, but like I said in an earlier post, your dress is a form of language. And men can dress seductively just as well as women.

And going back to the language thing, I really dislike it when men wear pants that aren't around their wastes, but instead hanging down below their rears and showing off their white underwear for the world to see. Now, I'm tolerant of this dress, but still, when I see this "gangsta" look, to me it displays irresponsibility and apathy. Not to mention I'm reminded of drugs. Not to say that the person wearing this IS a drug-dealing gangster. It's just what the dress is communicating to me, so I'm automatically wary. I don't think of anyone this way, because I try to have a tolerant mind and let everyone do what they wanna do, but yeah. First impressions count. I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but it's better to be safe than sorry, right?

So this is far from sexism. I could care less what gender you are, and the spotlight isn't always on rape victims who dress a certain way.

But anyways, apart with being careful how one dresses to help avoid raping situations (every little bit helps, so ♥♥♥♥ you if you think I'm a victim blamer) , I think free self-defense classes should be available to women, especially in areas where rape incidents are more common. That'll teach rapers to think twice before touching anyone ever again...
__________________
Last Edited by Coconut Water; 02-02-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Luna Tique
  #335 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Slimer Slimer is a male United States Slimer is offline
Slimer
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: America
View Posts: 1,269
Re: Slut shaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
In that case, don't quote his entire post and make it seem as if the entire post reeks of pretentiousness. I thought you were referring to the first part of his post as well, diverting attention away from the flawed position that "sluts" deserve to be "made fun of".
it could have been assumed that i was talking about the part that was relevant to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzraelBlack View Post
You're a better SD poster than that..


Also, I don't mind defending things but the backlash against it was not logical
Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Flames of Valor, notthatothername
  #336 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Luna Tique Luna Tique is a female United Kingdom Luna Tique is offline
Being a lunatic isn't enough
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lorule Castle
View Posts: 1,927
Re: Slut shaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecora View Post
I really dislike it when men wear pants that aren't around their wastes, but instead hanging down below their rears and showing off their white underwear for the world to see.
This. Practically every guy at my college dresses like that and I don't know why it's so fashionable because it looks ridiculous. Then again, some of the stuff that girls wear is stupid too. But even if I don't like what some other people wear, I still don't think it's right to blame someone for being attacked based on what they're wearing. Even if the victim should have taken more precautions that doesn't take any of the blame off the attacker.
__________________
Last Edited by Luna Tique; 02-03-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #337 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Coconut Water United States Coconut Water is offline
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Send a message via Skype™ to Coconut Water

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Santos
View Posts: 35,494
Re: Slut shaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe Princess Mara View Post
Even if the victim should have taken more precautions that doesn't take any of the blame off the attacker.
No one ever said otherwise or is trying to make such an argument.
__________________
Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Common Knowledge
  #338 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Luna Tique Luna Tique is a female United Kingdom Luna Tique is offline
Being a lunatic isn't enough
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lorule Castle
View Posts: 1,927
Re: Slut shaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecora View Post
No one ever said otherwise or is trying to make such an argument.
I never said anyone was. I just wanted to verify that since the rest of my comment sounded fairly judgmental about what other people wear.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
feminism, oppression, slut shaming

« Drugs | Ron Paul »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -