Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#61 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Daring Do
View Posts: 605
Re: Homosexuals Raising Families?

suppose a lesbian was raped by a man. a man and woman had sex, does that make them both "straight" I agree, if a child is raised by homosexual parents, then the only reason anyone would see an increase in different sexualitys in children would be because they feel like they can trust their parents enough to come out and tell them about it. Its amazing the amount of resistance people who are supposedly "open" have to any sexuality or other aspect of someone that is different from the norm but that the people themselves can do nothing about as it is proven it is determined before birth.
  #62 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-21-2011, 12:18 PM
SO ZETTA SLOW
Steam ID: ENVY ADAMS
View Posts: 2,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igos Du Ikana View Post
suppose a lesbian was raped by a man. a man and woman had sex, does that make them both "straight"
No, no it does not. Forced sex doesn't change who you are on the inside. (well, it would probably be traumatic, but I doubt it would change your sexual orientation)

~Simon Petrikov

#63 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Daring Do
View Posts: 605

that was my point
  #64 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Kingslayer

View Posts: 28,331

And your point was?
  #65 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Great White North Great White North is a male Prussia Great White North is offline
We are criminals!
Send a message via Skype™ to Great White North
Steam ID: Septemvile
View Posts: 4,554

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Gamzee View Post
And your point was?
That having sex with someone of a certain gender doesn't determine your sexuality.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the purpose of the MAIN point of this thread, we accept the premise that sexuality is something one is born with, not something that develops (Arguable, but not in this thread with a given premise).

If homosexuality is inborn, then having gay parents would not affect one's sexuality and there is no reason why gay couples should not be able to adopt.

[/thread]
"Your Father calls you to His Court. You need not pack; you go garbed in glory where you stand. He waits eagerly by His palace doors to welcome you, and has prepared a place at His high table by His side, in the company of the great-souled, honoured, and best beloved."
Last Edited by Great White North; 12-22-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #66 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Twilight King Zant Twilight King Zant is a male Twilight King Zant is offline
View Posts: 363

Parenting styles have no influence on a child's sexual orientation. Neither does masculinity or femininity. Whether the couple raising the child is a heterosexual or homosexual couple does not matter, thus, there is no reason they should not be able to. What I have stated is fact; no religion's ridiculous counterargument means anything.
  #67 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Tsjeriću, baibai
Send a message via Skype™ to Gaba
Steam ID: bluefireman33
View Posts: 6,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
What does it matter if their sexual orientation has a bearing on his upbringing? Why is it so important that gay people should only be allowed to raise kids if we can be sure that it won't make the kids gay? As if gayness is something to be avoided.
Well to me, this makes it sound like homosexuality is a choice. I mean you are much better off being straight or being bi (hiding your homosexual urges, like me) than you are being gay simply because of how the world views homosexuals. That's what is potentially wrong with being. Morally? Nah, its got nothing on homosexuality or bisexuality.
  #68 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Great White North Great White North is a male Prussia Great White North is offline
We are criminals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
I know this isn't how you meant this, so don't think I'm picking faults with you because I'm not, I'm just making an observation on the impression somebody might get from a statement like that, but...

What does it matter if their sexual orientation has a bearing on his upbringing? Why is it so important that gay people should only be allowed to raise kids if we can be sure that it won't make the kids gay? As if gayness is something to be avoided.

AGAIN: I know that's not what you meant; I'm just pointing out that the way you phrase it might make people draw the wrong conclusions about what you're saying.
Well that is certainly controversial to think about.

I'd argue that for a population, homosexuality is undesirable in terms of genetic diversity and (given the shrinkage of Western populations) population growth as well. Though this really only becomes an issue if the correlation is very strong and adoption numbers among homosexuals are above national averages.
"Your Father calls you to His Court. You need not pack; you go garbed in glory where you stand. He waits eagerly by His palace doors to welcome you, and has prepared a place at His high table by His side, in the company of the great-souled, honoured, and best beloved."
  #69 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 12:59 AM
we have outfoxed the fox, which makes us very bloody foxy

View Posts: 4,785

In class we had to pick out of six couples which was the most deserving of a free IVF treatment. All of the couples had a distinct problem (smokers, older aged etc.), but in reality there was one without a problem; the lesbian couple who had been in a stable relationship for eight years. Out of the five groups in the class, only two groups (ours included) picked the lesbian couple. I was kinda disappointed in this, but what pissed me off the most was when a kid said that the lesbian couple wouldn't raise the baby as well as a straight couple and could make them gay. I honestly felt like punching him in the face.

You are born with a sexuality. How your parents raise you, whether they are both men, both women or a man and woman will not change your sexuality. Lesbian and Gay couples are just as capable at raising children as straight ones.

I wonder how many generations it will be until everyone accepts homosexuality...
Last Edited by Sansa Stark; 12-24-2011 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #70 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 01:01 AM
We are criminals!

Quote:
You are born with a sexuality. How your parents raise you, whether they are both men, both women or a man and women will not change your sexuality.
Quote:
The nature versus nurture debate concerns the relative importance of an individual's innate qualities ("nature," i.e. nativism, or innatism) versus personal experiences ("nurture," i.e. empiricism or behaviorism) in determining or causing individual differences in physical and behavioral traits.
  #71 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 01:20 AM
❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖
View Posts: 1,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Dash View Post
I mean you are much better off being straight or being bi (hiding your homosexual urges, like me) than you are being gay
I don't consider bisexuality to be hiding your homosexual urges. Some people fall at different points in the spectrum of human sexuality. It is perfectly normal to be attracted to both sexes. I think it is deplorable when men attempt to mask their homosexuality by entering into dishonest relationships with women while simultaneously engaging in sex acts with men.
1 person liked this post: Great White North
  #72 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 01:22 AM
Tsjeriću, baibai
Send a message via Skype™ to Gaba
Steam ID: bluefireman33
View Posts: 6,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armillary View Post
I don't consider bisexuality to be hiding your homosexual urges. Some people fall at different points in the spectrum of human sexuality. It is perfectly normal to be attracted to both sexes. I think it is deplorable when men attempt to mask their homosexuality by entering into dishonest relationships with women while simultaneously engaging in sex acts with men.
Me neither. You are better off hiding them though.
  #73 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 03:10 AM

View Posts: 4,888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armillary;4459570s.
I think it is deplorable when men attempt to mask their homosexuality by entering into dishonest relationships with women while simultaneously engaging in sex acts with men.
Sometimes those men end up treating the women they're with badly because they're angry. I do think it's better to be honest with yourself when it comes to such a thing.
I will admit, though. I don't understand bisexuality. I can see why people are gay, that they aren't attracted to and/or don't feel comfortable with being with someone of the opposite gender. But I can't figure out bisexuals. This may sound rude, but It just seems like they're attracted to anyone. I'm not trying to be offensive, and I'm certainly not saying they're wrong. It's their business, not mine. I'm just confused by it, I guess.
  #74 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-28-2011, 06:36 AM
little zombies wanna eat my brains
View Posts: 5,545

there's so much literature out there about "how to make sure your kids are straight" and "how to deal if you have a homo in the family" and all this anti-gay literature

wheres the books about how to bring up your kids gay? I wanna little queer son dammit. it'd be like the daughter i never will have. we can paint our nails and I can beat him up. it would be great.
Last Edited by Andy; 12-28-2011 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Prometheus
  #75 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Sharia for the UK Sharia for the UK is a male United States Sharia for the UK is offline
Hate my life, love myself
View Posts: 4,842

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBean View Post
You are born with a sexuality.
I know Great White adressed this but I think he was too vague.

The real ♥♥♥♥ is that no one is born a sexuality. There are factors that seem to play a role (a large portion of gay men have hair that swivel a certain way, otherwise it's rather rare et cetera), but they certainly don't make you gay.

It's some what similar to how smoking doesn't cause cancer, but makes it more likely to occur and spread.

EDIT: I ofcourse could care less if gay people raise children. Especially if they take them from the fostercare system. The idea that anyone who isn't capable of raising children be banned is invasive.
Last Edited by Sharia for the UK; 12-28-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #76 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Super High School Level Video Game Message Board Poster
Send a message via AIM to Hoopy Frood
Steam ID: powerageshadow
View Posts: 6,848

I have absolutely nothing against homosexuals raising kids. A close friend of mine in high school was actually raised by her mom and her mom's girlfriend and she turned out perfectly fine.

The only thing that worries me about the whole situation has nothing to do with the homosexuals themselves, but with how we as a society aren't really ready to have it happen. We've all been kids before. Hell, there's even a thread in this forum about bullying. Given the stigma homosexuality still has attached to it, imagine the hell that poor kid could go through once all the other kids find out he has "two moms" or "two dads" so to speak. And then imagine the likely reaction the other kid's parents sill probably have when they find out.

I know this is all "what if," but we still live in a society that tells us gays are "weird" and "different" and I can only see it making a kid more supcetible to bullying and being outcast from his or her peers.

So to answer your question, yeah, I'm sure homosexuals are equally capable of being fantastic parents as heterosexuals are, I just wish the social stigmas would go away so the kid's experience outside of his home isn't theoretically awful

Let's Play/Game Commentary |Twitter | Gaming Blog

Voted #1 Biggest Video Game Nerd Summer 2014
Last Edited by Hoopy Frood; 12-28-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Jaime Lannister, Swabbie Silver
  #77 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-28-2011, 04:39 PM
❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖
View Posts: 1,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeraza View Post
I will admit, though. I don't understand bisexuality. I can see why people are gay, that they aren't attracted to and/or don't feel comfortable with being with someone of the opposite gender. But I can't figure out bisexuals. This may sound rude, but It just seems like they're attracted to anyone. I'm not trying to be offensive, and I'm certainly not saying they're wrong. It's their business, not mine. I'm just confused by it, I guess.
Bisexuals are physically and emotionally attracted to both males and females. It doesn't mean that they are attracted to all males and females. Just because a person is bisexual doesn't automatically mean that they are promiscuous.

I think that trying to fit the entirety of human sexuality into three little boxes is unrealistic. "I'm a straight dude so I can only have sex with women because if I were to do anything even remotely sexual with a dude I would be gay forever and my life would change dramatically" seems to be a common mentality.
Last Edited by Armillary; 12-28-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Great White North
  #78 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-29-2011, 08:42 AM
little zombies wanna eat my brains
View Posts: 5,545

The processes that try to determine whether homosexuality is genetic or socially created- "nature" vs "nurture" if you will, can never be separated from the point of cultural malleability- trying to "fix" the problem if you will.

to hell with nature vs. nurture, why does it matter if gay is genetic or if gay is a result of being raised under certain circumstances? does it change who the person is? does it change how beautiful and amazing and great they are? If he grows up to cure cancer, who cares if he likes playing the catcher in the early morning hours on weekends? and especially who cares if he likes doing that because he was raised by gay people or if he likes doing that because some chemicals formed that way in during his conception?
2 people liked this post: Jaime Lannister, Pacem
  #79 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-29-2011, 12:15 PM
We are criminals!

Quote:
hy does it matter if gay is genetic or if gay is a result of being raised under certain circumstances?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
I'd argue that for a population, homosexuality is undesirable in terms of genetic diversity and (given the shrinkage of Western populations) population growth as well. Though this really only becomes an issue if the correlation is very strong and adoption numbers among homosexuals are above national averages.
Last Edited by Great White North; 12-29-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #80 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-29-2011, 02:01 PM
SO ZETTA SLOW
Steam ID: ENVY ADAMS
View Posts: 2,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Genetic diversity isn't a problem right now, as long as you're not inbreeding with your direct siblings. And homosexuals adopting kids doesn't cause the population to decline.

~Simon Petrikov

1 person liked this post: Andy