Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#61 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-14-2011, 04:04 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Hombre de Mundo
Steam ID: Hombre_de_Mundo

View Posts: 13,655
Re: Foreign viewpoints on America

I feel it's kind of pointless to argue about killing him vs leaving him alive. Yeah, capturing him and trying him in front of a court is the right thing to do and that's what they should've tried to do. Not only because it's right but also to show that you are better than the terrorists. I think everyone can agree on that.

Now, for whatever reason it didn't happen. None of us were there so we can't tell what the situation was like. Maybe killing him was completely called for, maybe it wasn't. We won't find out until they release the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze
I disagree with you calling him a fanatic, he is too smart for that.
Who says fanatics can't be smart?
Last Edited by Hombre de Mundo; 09-14-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Light_Breeze
  #62 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Ask Not What Zaius Can Do For You
Send a message via AIM to Zaius Ex
View Posts: 5,960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames of Valor View Post
How about the millions who died as a result of Pol Pot when America left Vietnam? Does that count?
Like someone else said, Pol Pot controlled Cambodia. Vietnam eventually invaded Cambodia and ousted him from power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
It's far more defensible than, say, the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which DID obliterate leaders, soldiers and civilians alike.
Every power in World War II, seeing as it was a state in total war, obliterated leaders, soldiers, and civilians alike. Most of Japan's cities had already been razed by firebombing; the only thing that made the use of nuclear weaponry unique is that it took far less time to raze cities then firebombing.
Zaius and I are much like the mongoose and the cobra, we are destined for battle time and time again, even if it is not in our territory. Of course, I'm the mongoose since I like having appendages, and Zaius seems like a cold-blooded creature.
Voted Best Theorist three times.
Voted Most Knowledgeable of Zelda three times.
Winner of TSA's Zelda Championship Tournament.
  #63 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Sapere aude
View Posts: 5,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light_Breeze View Post
But Pol Pot was Cambodian...
*Sigh* If I had a Dong ₫ for every time I read some one that correlated Pol Pot with Americans leaving Vietnam... I would have one ₫
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaius Nation View Post
Like someone else said, Pol Pot controlled Cambodia. Vietnam eventually invaded Cambodia and ousted him from power.
Pol Pot rose to power almost immediately after American presence in Vietnam was removed. Do you honestly think the rise of a "communist" government would have been allowed if there was still American military presence in the area? That's why they were there to begin with.

To remember friendship is to recall those
conversations that it seemed a sin to break off.

- Christopher Hitchens -
1 person liked this post: Tabby
  #64 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-14-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Pol Pot rose to power almost immediately after American presence in Vietnam was removed. Do you honestly think the rise of a "communist" government would have been allowed if there was still American military presence in the area? That's why they were there to begin with.
Firstly, the Khmer Rouge, which Pol Pot lead, gained its popular support due to massive opposition of the United States' expansion of the Vietnam War into Cambodian territory, which began under the Nixon Administration in 1973.

Secondly, Pol Pot still doesn't have anything to do with the deaths of millions of Vietnamese.
Zaius and I are much like the mongoose and the cobra, we are destined for battle time and time again, even if it is not in our territory. Of course, I'm the mongoose since I like having appendages, and Zaius seems like a cold-blooded creature.
Last Edited by Zaius Ex; 09-14-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Avalanchemike, Swabbie Silver
  #65 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Guardian Dragon

View Posts: 2,727

Irish here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUFF2o View Post

3. World War II (regarding America's actions)
As said previously, they tend to perceive themselves as having had a greater influence on the outcome than they did. Especially in relative to the USSR

Quote:
4. 9/11
I don't need to say it was terribly destructive and a needless loss of life, you know that. Almost half the number of lives AIDS will take today. Almost one seventh of what cancer will take today, even. Nearly 1% of the lives lost in the 2004 tsunami. You get the picture. It was terrible but in terms of lives lost far too much attention resources are given to it, instead of, say, researching treatments for the aforementioned diseases, or preventing more deaths from hunger.

Also, you (and pretty much the rest of the world) have done exactly what your politicians and people swore wouldn't happen: You've absolutely, as a nation, let it get to you and intimidate you. If you don't believe me, consider that most airports have now band an entire state of matter from your luggage for "security" and that everyone's okay with this.
{quote}5. The current wars{/quote}
Needless loss of life, time and resources. Mostly unjustified. Don't know enough about them to say more

Quote:
6. President Obama
Well spoken, seemingly pretty smart and miles ahead of his predecessor. Unfortunately seems to have been fairly ineffectual so far.

Not related to anything you asked, just general comments: Most people I know think the U.S. is justwack. Like, someone can be left to die for lack of the means to pay for it? What the actual ♥♥♥♥ is wrong you people?
Also, the fact that there's a strong enough lobby of religious fundamentalists to affect the teaching of science in public schools, or to even make people think there's two sides, or some sort of genuine controversy within the scientific community. In my year at school, even though Ireland's allegedly a very Catholic country, there was one person who thought, for example, being gay and sex outside marriage were sins etc. etc. and he was still way to smart to try and distort facts for his own religious purposes. Almost everyone else was either a lapsed catholic or atheist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uǝzoɹɟ View Post
teep is just SO hot tbh...
98% of teens have tried drugs or alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like toast.
2 people liked this post: Moriquendi, Swabbie Silver
  #66 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Sapere aude

Quote:
Firstly, the Khmer Rouge, which Pol Pot lead, gained its popular support due to massive opposition of the United States' expansion of the Vietnam War into Cambodian territory, which began under the Nixon Administration in 1973.
Support, not formation.

Quote:
Secondly, Pol Pot still doesn't have anything to do with the deaths of millions of Vietnamese.
I never made that claim. He claimed millions in his own country.

- Christopher Hitchens -
  #67 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-14-2011, 02:08 PM

I'd recommend reading up on your history of the Khmer Rouge. The group's rise to power in Cambodia took almost two decades; foreign involvement in sovereign politics was a prime reason for the rise of the Khmer Rouge, not the other way around.
Last Edited by Zaius Ex; 09-14-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Avalanchemike
  #68 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Wii U ID: Blizzaga

View Posts: 35,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre de Mundo View Post
I feel it's kind of pointless to argue about killing him vs leaving him alive. Yeah, capturing him and trying him in front of a court is the right thing to do and that's what they should've tried to do. Not only because it's right but also to show that you are better than the terrorists. I think everyone can agree on that.
Don't be speaking for everyone. I just wrote above your post that I'd also shoot the guy on site. He was too dangerous to be kept alive. Sorry, but if you're going to commit mass murders, let alone boast about it on television, I'm going to take you out for the good of the rest of the world and before you can do any more damage. Trial be damned.

Quote:
We won't find out until they release the video.
There's going to be a video released? About what?

???

Last Edited by Coconut Water; 09-14-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #69 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Jiro
View Posts: 11,916

I'm pretty sure a good majority of foreigners (the ones that don't move here for jobs) hate us.
  #70 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Avalanchemike Avalanchemike is a male The Byzantine Empire Avalanchemike is online now
patron saint of subtlety
Send a message via Skype™ to Avalanchemike
Steam ID: Avalanchemike Wii U ID: AvaMike

View Posts: 25,336

^Why you think that?

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantean View Post
Don't be speaking for everyone. I just wrote above your post that I'd also shoot the guy on site. He was too dangerous to be kept alive. Sorry, but if you're going to commit mass murders, let alone boast about it on television, I'm going to take you out for the good of the rest of the world and before you can do any more damage. Trial be damned.
An unarmed man isn't a threat to anyone, particularly when surrounded by many armed ones.

Quote:
There's going to be a video released? About what?
Well, no one has said that the video will be released, but it's generally accepted (due to statements issued by the government) that the incident in question was recorded.

"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong"
- G. K. Chesterton

#71 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Sapere aude

Quote:
I'd recommend reading up on your history of the Khmer Rouge. The group's rise to power in Cambodia took almost two decades; foreign involvement in sovereign politics was a prime reason for the rise of the Khmer Rouge, not the other way around.
How exactly is that relevant to my post you originally addressed?

- Christopher Hitchens -
  #72 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-17-2011, 12:55 PM

Genocide didn't occur in Cambodia because of the U.S. withdrawal from the Vietnam War.
1 person liked this post: Avalanchemike
  #73 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Sapere aude

Quote:
Genocide didn't occur in Cambodia because of the U.S. withdrawal from the Vietnam War.
America's influence and ability to adhere to its policy of containment was severely crippled by both the unpopularity of the conflicts in Southeast Asia, but also due to the Case-Church Amendment. The Khmer Rouge would have been contested by the United States were the circumstances not so poor on the end of the latter.

- Christopher Hitchens -
  #74 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Avalanchemike Avalanchemike is a male The Byzantine Empire Avalanchemike is online now
patron saint of subtlety
Send a message via Skype™ to Avalanchemike
Steam ID: Avalanchemike Wii U ID: AvaMike

View Posts: 25,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great White North View Post
You don't set up trials for animals.
Frankly, I find this comment rather insulting to animals. They don't explicitly choose to be barbaric, cruel or brutal.

"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong"
- G. K. Chesterton

1 person liked this post: Great White North
  #75 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-20-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
The Khmer Rouge would have been contested by the United States were the circumstances not so poor on the end of the latter.
As that worked so incredibly well against the Viet groups.
Last Edited by Zaius Ex; 09-20-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Phenomiracle

Tags
nayru is awesome, nayru is glorious