#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Hombre de Mundo
Steam ID: Hombre_de_Mundo

View Posts: 13,602
Re: USA! USA! USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
Would you make the same argument if he was defending Nazism or terrorism?
Sure, what's the difference? I'm cool with laughing about taboo subjects.
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Viajero de la Galaxia Viajero de la Galaxia is a male United States Viajero de la Galaxia is online now
Joe

View Posts: 2,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearhead View Post
That was when there was actual, genuine racism against minorities. Nowadays, there's rarely much of anything one can really call true racism.
You sure about that?

I'm a little disappointed that no one elaborated by showing actual evidence of disparities between the races, since many people seem to assume that we solved racism with the 1964 Civil Rights Act. This is not the case.
Last Edited by Viajero de la Galaxia; 09-02-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: 8bit
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 06:21 PM
thane of cawdor
View Posts: 641

Quote:
That was when there was actual, genuine racism against minorities. Nowadays, there's rarely much of anything one can really call true racism.
Two problems with this:

1. This sounds like a "no true scotsman" fallacy. Why isn't harassing a guy simply for his heritage racism? What is true racism, then? Because to me, it sounds like he harassed a guy simply because of their race and usually (read: always) means that they're saying something racist.

2. Racism exists today. Do you know how often I deal with people telling me to get a green card? How often people laugh at me and tell me to get back to mowing lawns? I'm not even Mexican but I hear this ♥♥♥♥ every day just cause I look kinda latino. Get at me in the south, see all the crap we hear every day.

Believe it or not, just because you don't hear about lynchings anymore doesn't mean racism isn't a problem anymore.
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 06:41 PM
❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖
View Posts: 1,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
I also add when you go to a comedy show (and especially when you sit near the stage) you are free game to be made fun of, especially when you heckle the comic. Don't like it, then don't go to the show and watch comedy on TV or Youtube because comics insult the audience (especially hecklers), that's part of the show.
It wasn't his typical behavior. He wasn't his usual semi-positive self. He was baiting any Mexicans in the audience with his first comment about how Mexicans shouldn't have given Arizona up if they like it so much. The first guy that stood up and made a comment became his target. Even when the guy sat down and shut up he just kept on with it. If a comedian was standing on stage calling me a pu**y, dancing all around taunting me, and saying that my people should go back to where we came from, I think I would definitely be offended. I would probably burn his house down, videotape it, and post that ♥♥♥♥ on YouTube.

I think Kat Williams is funny. I think some of his older stuff is hilarious. I do not think that his behavior in the OP clip is representative of his actual beliefs or opinions. I think he was stirring up the crowd. His comments and behavior were very obviously an attempt to get his name back out there, but I think he totally missed the mark. I have no problem with satirical or mildly racist humor. It's usually generally understood that the comedian does not actually believe what he is saying, and it's just "part of the act". Spouting hate speech, threatening an audience member, and dancing around on stage flashing gang signs is not acceptable behavior.
Last Edited by Armillary; 09-02-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
View Posts: 8,349

Quote:
Back in the day, black people weren't allowed to marry white people. sit among white people on the bus (forced to sit at the back), were segregated in school, not allowed to work a higher-paying job, and so on and so forth. Nowadays one white person says one minor racial slur (like, "black", if you can believe that to be a racial slur) against any minority group, and all hell breaks loose on national television. So yes, I fully stand by my statement.
Firstly, you can say black on TV. That's simply ridiculous. Last night I watched an episode of Curb your Enthusiasm in which one of the white characters on the show played the word "coon" in scrabble, and then went on to complain about how they're "all over the park". There was no public outcry in response to this. Just a few months ago Jon Stuart used the word "♥♥♥♥♥♥", uncensored, several times on his basic cable talk show, and there was little to no critique. In both of these contexts, the people in question were not making blatantly racist statements, though.

If you come on TV and say something that objectifies and stereotypes an entire ethnicity, such as, "I have a great relationship with the blacks", it's not the word "black" that people take issue with, it's your racism.

Secondly, neither of those statements are related to your earlier statement, that there is no, absolutely no, racism targeting any minorities. (You say this in a thread about a blatantly racist comedy routine, for better or worse.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre de Mundo View Post
Sure, what's the difference? I'm cool with laughing about taboo subjects.
Just asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames of Valor View Post
I think you're looking at the wrong set of flags, 8bit.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Oops lol. I look at them both, and all I see is fascism!
Last Edited by 8bit; 09-02-2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Armillary
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Disembodied Loaf Disembodied Loaf is a male United States Disembodied Loaf is offline
View Posts: 1,375

Remember kiddies, don't notice and acknowledge other people's races. That's racist and hateful!

I think it's funny how hard people try not to be racist. Calling blacks "colored"... The funny thing is white people technically have more color. White is a combination of ALL the colors. Black is an absence of color. Of course, whites aren't completely white and blacks aren't completely black, but I was just thinking about that today. Uh oh... I said "Black". *Puts on fireproof suit in preparation for flaming of the liberals*
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 07:57 PM
❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disembodied Loaf View Post
Remember kiddies, don't notice and acknowledge other people's races. That's racist and hateful!

I think it's funny how hard people try not to be racist. Calling blacks "colored"... The funny thing is white people technically have more color. White is a combination of ALL the colors. Black is an absence of color. Of course, whites aren't completely white and blacks aren't completely black, but I was just thinking about that today. Uh oh... I said "Black". *Puts on fireproof suit in preparation for flaming of the liberals*
If I were to hear someone call a black guy "colored" I would be offended. It's 2011 not 1863. Most of the black people I know would rather be called black than anything else.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disembodied Loaf View Post
Race doesn't actually exist, scientifically speaking, so no, you really shouldn't act as if it is a real thing.

Quote:
I think it's funny how hard people try not to be racist. Calling blacks "colored"... The funny thing is white people technically have more color. White is a combination of ALL the colors. Black is an absence of color. Of course, whites aren't completely white and blacks aren't completely black, but I was just thinking about that today.
Jesus ♥♥♥♥, you still call black people "colored"? Where the hell do you live, 1950s land?

Quote:
Uh oh... I said "Black". *Puts on fireproof suit in preparation for flaming of the liberals*
See above comment about how its not about you saying ♥♥♥♥♥♥, its about you being racist. If you take a lot of critique for being racist, and you think its because you said the word "black" you might just be saying incredibly racist things.

♥♥♥♥♥♥. ♥♥♥♥♥♥. ♥♥♥♥♥♥.

You see, no one is going to foam at the mouth because I said ♥♥♥♥♥♥, because I wasn't being an ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ when I said it.
Last Edited by 8bit; 09-02-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Golddron Sex Golddron Sex is a male United States Golddron Sex is offline
Thank you
View Posts: 5,139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armillary View Post
If a comedian was standing on stage calling me a pu**y, dancing all around taunting me, and saying that my people should go back to where we came from, I think I would definitely be offended. I would probably burn his house down, videotape it, and post that ♥♥♥♥ on YouTube.
I'd probably ♥♥♥♥ in his pillowcase. Less repercussions, more humor.

On a (slightly) more serious note, I agree that Katt Williams usually doesn't usually do this kind of stuff. He's usually focused on drugs and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanchemike View Post
pokefags woke the dragon and are gonna find out they're not weak to ice types
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Anouki
View Posts: 49

You guys must hate Dave Chappelle. Anyway, he's a comic so everything he said was probably in jest.

I don't understand why people are so easily offended.

Also, this guy isn't too funny, he just seems like one of those guys who yell and jump around in an attempt to seem so.
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 08:46 PM
❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖

Quote:
Originally Posted by CymbalsMonkey View Post
You guys must hate Dave Chappelle. Anyway, he's a comic so everything he said was probably in jest.

I don't understand why people are so easily offended.

Also, this guy isn't too funny, he just seems like one of those guys who yell and jump around in an attempt to seem so.
Did you watch the video in the OP or read the transcript posted later in the thread?
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CymbalsMonkey View Post
N0t at all, much of Chappelle's comedy is:

A. Funny
B. A critique of racism

For example:

#33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
Race doesn't actually exist, scientifically speaking, so no, you really shouldn't act as if it is a real thing.
According to my history class...I ask this.
Aren't there 3 races? Mongoloid, Negroid and Caucasoid?
I might be wrong and if I am correct me nicely please.

Also. That's not racist.. It's a joke. Yeah it's offensive but most comedy tends to offend a few people. Like if he made a joke about fat people... Should we call discrimination on him? Nah.
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 09:32 PM
❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella96 View Post
This was a belief held many decades ago, mostly to justify racism. Now we recognize that ethnicity is a large gradient of genetics, but also that there is more genetic disparity within commonly defined ethnic groups than between them.
Last Edited by 8bit; 09-02-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 10:14 PM
I can see it...the rise of a digital nation.
Send a message via Skype™ to Lysis
Steam ID: lysate 3DS ID: ❤❤❤❤ if I'm gonna write down this whole damn thing, PM me or something.
View Posts: 19,687

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella96 View Post
there's a reason you learned that in your history class, as opposed to, say, anthropology or biology. It's like the five classical elements, or the four humors; a historic belief which is now discredited.
(We rise to reset the world)
Though far apart, united by heart
(And fight forever!)”

twitter / tumblr / youtube
ΖU 2014 Best Youtuber/LPer
» ask me anything! «
2 people liked this post: 8bit, Viajero de la Galaxia
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 11:32 PM
SNOW_STORM IS THE BEST
Send a message via Skype™ to Nox
Steam ID: HALF LIFE 3 IS NEVER GONNA BE RELEASED!
View Posts: 10,091

I read the transcript and honestly, it was a tad funny, but quickly read out like a stupid rant.

However comedy is comedy and again, the only thing offensive about this video is that its a rant and not I dunno, an actual critique or even satire. Its just a stupid rant, plain and simple and while I can laugh at actual racist pricks (because sometimes their rants are so ridiculous, I can't help but laugh at it all) this rant wasn't special.

Meh, haters gonna hate.

Artwork. Why not critique so I can get better, plz :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I have a friend who once asked me if vaginas had taste buds. Because of flavored condoms.

We were 17
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 11:34 PM
❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
I read the transcript and honestly, it was a tad funny, but quickly read out like a stupid rant.

However comedy is comedy and again, the only thing offensive about this video is that its a rant and not I dunno, an actual critique or even satire. Its just a stupid rant, plain and simple and while I can laugh at actual racist pricks (because sometimes their rants are so ridiculous, I can't help but laugh at it all) this rant wasn't special.

Meh, haters gonna hate.
Watch the video. It wasn't really a rant so much as him directly attacking and making threats to a Mexican audience member.
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 11:57 PM
**** YEAH!
Send a message via Skype™ to America
Steam ID: colton_o_weekly
View Posts: 1,299

While I didn't find it funny that much, I personally think that he has the right to say it, and the right to make jokes about it. Even if he was being racist, and being serious, he has the right to say it. Anyone who says you don't have that right, is a bigot, just as much as the person who exercises the right to be racist.

I also think he just made a few jokes in bad taste for the place he was, but he was just joking it looks like. No big deal.

I mean, it's America. He has the RIGHT to joke about it, however he wants. You don't like it, too bad. He still has the right.
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-03-2011, 12:09 AM
I can see it...the rise of a digital nation.
Send a message via Skype™ to Lysis
Steam ID: lysate 3DS ID: ❤❤❤❤ if I'm gonna write down this whole damn thing, PM me or something.
View Posts: 19,687

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
While I didn't find it funny that much, I personally think that he has the right to say it, and the right to make jokes about it. Even if he was being racist, and being serious, he has the right to say it. Anyone who says you don't have that right, is a bigot, just as much as the person who exercises the right to be racist.

I also think he just made a few jokes in bad taste for the place he was, but he was just joking it looks like. No big deal.

I mean, it's America. He has the RIGHT to joke about it, however he wants. You don't like it, too bad. He still has the right.
in the same way that you have the right to be racist, sexist, or otherwise an ass❤hole, other people have the right to call you out on it. Free speech works both ways.
(We rise to reset the world)
Though far apart, united by heart
(And fight forever!)”

twitter / tumblr / youtube
ΖU 2014 Best Youtuber/LPer
» ask me anything! «
1 person liked this post: Viajero de la Galaxia

Tags
abraham lincoln, condoleezza rice, gang violence, karl rove