Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-12-2011, 11:27 PM
pawptart pawptart is a male United States pawptart is offline
I'm going to find out if I'm really alive
Steam ID: pawptart
Join Date: Aug 2011
View Posts: 2,516
Drugs

I apologize in advance if this is inappropriate for these boards. I haven't seen any threads regarding the legal status of drugs in the country -- specifically marijuana.

So, I've been known to occasionally smoke the bud with friends. It's a fun hobby for me that I don't do too often, but when I do I do it with a very close group of friends that I trust (meaning we've all agreed we don't want to do any harder drugs and there will be no peer pressure in the group for those types of things). I personally see it as less harmless than cigarettes and FAR less of a threat than alcohol currently is. I'm of the opinion we should legalize pot and crack down even more on alcohol.

Given that the legality of marijuana has recently been debated at the national level in the U.S., what are your opinions on not only marijuana but possibly other drugs that aren't necessarily as harmful as people tend to think?

Discuss.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Jaime Lannister Sweden Jaime Lannister is offline
Kingslayer

Join Date: Jun 2006
View Posts: 28,243
Re: Drugs

Legalization.

- It will be taxed of course, creating copious amounts of revenue for a government.
- Has medical usage, ranging from aid in coping with pain to helping one sleep.
- Money and prison space will no longer be wasted on people convicted of possession.
- People who only smoke weed will no longer have to go through dealers, which could lead to them trying harder, dangerous drugs.
- I imagine hemp would be legal as well. Hemp is nice.
- Not anywhere near as damaging as nicotine; the effects of being high are much less severe than being drunk.

Finally, for the regular person, it's a nice little thing to have at the end of the day, when all responsibilities are taken care, to just sit down and smoke a little to relax, and enjoy life a little more.



tl;dr, literally no reason for it to continue being illegal.
Last Edited by Jaime Lannister; 08-12-2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
5 people liked this post: kezzer, Pacem, Prometheus, Silver, Silver Lining
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 12:02 AM
MTKO MTKO is a male United States MTKO is offline
Deku Scrub
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
View Posts: 4
Re: Drugs

Here are some of my thoughts:

- Marijuana should be legalized for recreational and medical use (with age restrictions of course)

- Marijuana, alcohol, and all tobacco products should be taxed heavily

- A license should be required to grow marijuana, manufacture marijuana products, distribute marijuana products, and possibly even to work with marijuana.

- Anyone found doing the above things without the license should be fined or worse depending on the severity of the act. I believe similar things are set in place for alcohol and tobacco products, correct? Like selling to minors.

- Laws should be put in place for where you can smoke, just like laws are in place for where you can and can not drink alcohol.

I also agree that marijuana has less physical harm potential than alcohol and quite possibly less potential for addiction. There are plenty of credible studies showing this that can be found by simply searching the web.

I don't smoke or drink, but I do know a bit about the subject.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 12:23 AM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Hve­rungr
3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Asgard
View Posts: 22,425
Re: Drugs

Quote:
- It will be taxed of course, creating copious amounts of revenue for a government.
We would be out of our issues as a nation if they just did this. Freaking hell! Hell even my own mum is for legalizing the Mary Jane for this reason and a few other reasons.
__________________

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 12:58 AM
Armillary Armillary is a male United States Armillary is offline
❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖
Join Date: Jul 2011
View Posts: 1,274
Re: Drugs

-Marijuana is generally considered to be less damaging to the body than alcohol or tobacco.

-Legalized marijuana would reduce the flow of money from the American economy to international criminal gangs.

-Marijuana's legalization would simplify the development of hemp as a valuable and diverse agricultural crop in the United States, including its development as a new bio-fuel to reduce carbon emissions.

-The product could be regulated, taxed, and sold just like tobacco. The tax revenue would be enormous.

-The "war on drugs" has proven to be a complete failure. Legalization of marijuana would allow the DEA and local law enforcement to focus on catching people peddling hard drugs instead of wasting time tracking down pot dealers.

-The FDA or others could regulate the quality and potency of the substance.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 02:50 AM
Hell Hawk Hell Hawk is a male United States Hell Hawk is offline
I once drew Santa sodomizing GI Joe. It was the last time I taught preschool art
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington, DC
View Posts: 2,655
Re: Drugs

I don't think drug laws work. Those who follow the laws probably wouldn't use drugs even if they were legal. Those who want to do drugs are going to break the law anyway. Thus, all drug laws do is waste money, police resources, and jail space on people who are only hurting themselves and aren't a threat to anybody's safety.

I personally would not do drugs even if they were legal. I think doing them is dangerous and stupid. However, I think gambling is dangerous and stupid as well, and I definitely think it should be legal. I feel the same way about drugs.

As long as people are informed of the risk, and they sign something that says they or their family won't sue the seller if they suffer an overdose, I see no reason people shouldn't be allowed to muse any drugs they want. The government could make money off of a tax on drugs, and legalizing drugs for sale would mean that the criminal elements surrounding the drug trade would go away. The only restriction I'd place on them is require users to be over a certain age.
__________________

...and from that day forward, anytime a bunch of self-important ranting morons are together in one place, it's called a FORUM! Unless it's a LEGISLATURE!
Last Edited by Hell Hawk; 08-13-2011 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 03:06 AM
Ethernet Ethernet is offline
Tingle, Tingle! Kooloo-Limpah!
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: colinoblivion.wordpress.com
View Posts: 114
Re: Drugs

Just earlier tonight I smoked up with my cousin, his wife, and her friends. We then played some Mario Kart Wii. I got a little loopy, though, since I so rarely smoke.

Everyone above me has done a great job of outlining why it should be legal. And I honestly do think it's only a matter of time (and not much time, at that). I don't think I'll ever get a prescription for it, even though it would probably help, and I probably wont smoke it more than I do now. But seriously, wtf government? Seriously?
__________________
Code:
.            CHALLENGE: BEAT ALL THE ZELDA GAMES IN ORDER
[]The Legend of Zelda   [ ]Majora's Mask          [ ]The Minish Cap
[]The Adventure of Link [ ]Oracle of Seasons      [ ]Twilight Princess
[ ]A Link to the Past    [ ]Oracle of Ages         [ ]Phantom Hourglass
[ ]Link's Awakening (DX) [ ]The Wind Waker         [ ]Spirit Tracks
[ ]Ocarina of Time       [ ]Four Swords Adventures [ ]Skyward Sword
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Lieutenant Lollipop Lieutenant Lollipop is a female Lieutenant Lollipop is offline
all blues
Send a message via Skype™ to Lieutenant Lollipop
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Europe
View Posts: 7,742
Re: Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamzee View Post

- People who only smoke weed will no longer have to go through dealers, which could lead to them trying harder, dangerous drugs.
Given the heavy social stigma in the US, I wouldn't be so sure or sloppy with your argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armillary View Post
-The product could be regulated, taxed, and sold just like tobacco. The tax revenue would be enormous.

-The "war on drugs" has proven to be a complete failure. Legalization of marijuana would allow the DEA and local law enforcement to focus on catching people peddling hard drugs instead of wasting time tracking down pot dealers.
It's called weed for a reason. I can grow almost everywhere. The reason why companies were able to regulate and monopolize tobacco? It's not easy to grow.

Means to an end. There are so many OTC drugs that have the same effects as the illegal ones: Dramamine, Motrin IB, anything that contains DXM, even Camphor. If someone wants to get a high, they will.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Golddron Sex Golddron Sex is a male United States Golddron Sex is offline
Thank you
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lady Sunshine
View Posts: 5,139
Re: Drugs

Everything in moderation.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanchemike View Post
pokefags woke the dragon and are gonna find out they're not weak to ice types
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Lieutenant Lollipop Lieutenant Lollipop is a female Lieutenant Lollipop is offline
all blues
Send a message via Skype™ to Lieutenant Lollipop
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Europe
View Posts: 7,742
Re: Drugs

That's a false compromise, ergo a fallacy.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Armillary Armillary is a male United States Armillary is offline
❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖
Join Date: Jul 2011
View Posts: 1,274
Re: Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog-Sothoth View Post
Given the heavy social stigma in the US, I wouldn't be so sure or sloppy with your argument.
Neither should you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog-Sothoth View Post
It's called weed for a reason. I can grow almost everywhere. The reason why companies were able to regulate and monopolize tobacco? It's not easy to grow.
The reason why companies were able to regulate and "monopolize" tobacco is because it was widely used and eventually considered a controlled substance, not because it requires a lot of work to produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog-Sothoth View Post
Means to an end. There are so many OTC drugs that have the same effects as the illegal ones: Dramamine, Motrin IB, anything that contains DXM, even Camphor. If someone wants to get a high, they will.
How is this a response to what I posted? I said nothing about trying to change a persons desire to get high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armillary
The "war on drugs" has proven to be a complete failure. Legalization of marijuana would allow the DEA and local law enforcement to focus on catching people peddling hard drugs instead of wasting time tracking down pot dealers.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 12:06 PM
riomhaire riomhaire is a male Ireland riomhaire is offline
Fabulous
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lost Woods, Ireland
View Posts: 1,893
Re: Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog-Sothoth View Post
It's called weed for a reason. I can grow almost everywhere. The reason why companies were able to regulate and monopolize tobacco? It's not easy to grow.
Easy to grow vegetables are mostly grown by massive farms as well.
__________________
Last Edited by riomhaire; 08-13-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Lly
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Jaime Lannister Sweden Jaime Lannister is offline
Kingslayer

Join Date: Jun 2006
View Posts: 28,243
Re: Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog-Sothoth View Post
Given the heavy social stigma in the US, I wouldn't be so sure or sloppy with your argument.
I wasn't aware this was strictly for the US.

I also don't see where you're going with this. People who only smoke weed would be able to get it from a shop or a dispenser of some sort, cutting out drug dealers (who could potentially be selling other drugs such as cocaine). That part of it would be out of the equation. Someone who smokes would then need to go out of their way to find someone to sell them xanex or ecstasy or cocaine or heroin, as opposed to going down the street to a weed shop.

Peer pressure still exists, if that's what you were talking about.
Last Edited by Jaime Lannister; 08-13-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Jonny
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Jonny Jonny is a male United Kingdom Jonny is offline
I'm not drunk, I'm Scottish!
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK (Scotland)
View Posts: 405
Re: Drugs

I am in agreement with most of this. I think taxation and regulation would be an excellent source of revenue.

However I will ignore the savings from the police force by using it on education. I have seen people completely over use the stuff and become lazy and incapable of holding down a job. The worst example was when I worked in a hostel changing beds, a guy I worked with just couldn't do anything and all we were doing was making beds. Granted I have seen far, far worse things come from alcohol and tobacco (one reason I am for legalization) but that doesn't make better downsides good. The human body has the ability to be addicted to many things that don't themselves contain properties of being addictive.

So therefore as I said I would use money to educate about use in moderation and support clinics to help people who feel they've lost control or feel they turn to it far too easily.

There are also other factors I agree with legislation including with Gamzee's statement that it would reduce the chances of it being a gateway drug as the environment of going to dealers would not be established by its use.
__________________

"You will be paid for like any other free man... You will be paid for in blood"
-Njal's Saga
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Lieutenant Lollipop Lieutenant Lollipop is a female Lieutenant Lollipop is offline
all blues
Send a message via Skype™ to Lieutenant Lollipop
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Europe
View Posts: 7,742
Re: Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armillary View Post
Neither should you.
And here I thought you were capable of presenting more than an ad hominem.

Quote:
The reason why companies were able to regulate and "monopolize" tobacco is because it was widely used and eventually considered a controlled substance, not because it requires a lot of work to produce.
You're not following the previous train of thought; we were discussing taxation of marijuana. It's a non sequitur. You implied marijuana should be legalized and consequently taxed, but taxation and regulation are practically impossible due to weed's fertility, leaving people to grow and eventually maintain their own stash of Mysterious Plant Life.

Quote:
How is this a response to what I posted? I said nothing about trying to change a persons desire to get high.
Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I quoted the wrong paragraph.
Last Edited by Lieutenant Lollipop; 08-13-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Jonny Jonny is a male United Kingdom Jonny is offline
I'm not drunk, I'm Scottish!
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK (Scotland)
View Posts: 405
Re: Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog-Sothoth View Post
You're not following the previous train of thought; we were discussing taxation of marijuana. It's a non sequitur. You implied marijuana should be legalized and consequently taxed, but taxation and regulation are practically impossible due to weed's fertility, leaving people to grow and eventually maintain their own stash of Mysterious Plant Life.
Do you really think that if it was illegal to grow weed (which it would be if it was regulated) people would rather break the law and buy it from someone who grows it than buy it from a legalized seller? There would have to be an absolutely massive price difference and if it is grown in vast quantities by companies they would be able to seller for much less of a profit because they can get larger accumulative profit over many sales. Though even if there was a massive price difference it's not like buying a bootleg DVD when if you get a bad copy the worst this is a fuzzy movie. People will and do pay more for the assurances that they know how things they are going to put in there body are grown, what chemicals are used and that it meets safety regulation. Others may also be put off from the illegality prospect.

While I do agree that at the beginning the illegal side would remain high and I'm not against those who grow for themselves but I think over time the illegale side would become as big an issue as black market potato sellers.
__________________

"You will be paid for like any other free man... You will be paid for in blood"
-Njal's Saga
Last Edited by Jonny; 08-13-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Armillary
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Armillary Armillary is a male United States Armillary is offline
❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖
Join Date: Jul 2011
View Posts: 1,274
Re: Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog-Sothoth View Post
And here I thought you were capable of presenting more than an ad hominem.You're not following the previous train of thought; we were discussing taxation of marijuana. It's a non sequitur. You implied marijuana should be legalized and consequently taxed, but taxation and regulation are practically impossible due to weed's fertility, leaving people to grow and eventually maintain their own stash of Mysterious Plant Life.
I replied to the thread before you did.

I think Johnny tied this up nicely for you. ^^^^^^




Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog-Sothoth View Post
Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I quoted the wrong paragraph.
Mind posting the one you meant to quote?
Last Edited by Armillary; 08-13-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Lieutenant Lollipop Lieutenant Lollipop is a female Lieutenant Lollipop is offline
all blues
Send a message via Skype™ to Lieutenant Lollipop
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Europe
View Posts: 7,742
Re: Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Do you really think that is it was illegal to grow weed (which it would be if it was regulated) people would rather break the law and buy it from someone who grows it than buy it from a legalized seller? There would have to be an absolutely massive price difference and if it is grown in vast quantities by companies they would be able to seller for much less of a profit because they can get larger accumulative profit over many sales. Though even if there was a massive price difference it's not like buying a bootleg DVD when if you get a bad copy the worst this is a fuzzy movie. People will and do pay more for the assurances that they know how things they are going to put in there body are grown, what chemicals are used and that it meets safety regulation. Others may also be put off from the illegality prospect.
Every argument I present might delude you into thinking I'm against legalization. I'm not; I just enjoy playing devil's advocate.

I'm going to be frank: Where I live, that's the case. Look it up: Belgium.

Armillary, allow me ask you this question: how do you intend to tax and regulate a drug that people can grow and maintain themselves? How would the government catch substance abusers, specifically hard drugs addicts, when certain pharmaceutical OTC drugs have a similar impact upon a person's health and well-being? How would one differentiate between an abuser or a patient in dire need?

If marijuana is legalized, how will the DEA and local law enforcement focus on catching people who peddle hard drugs?
Last Edited by Lieutenant Lollipop; 08-13-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Armillary Armillary is a male United States Armillary is offline
❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖
Join Date: Jul 2011
View Posts: 1,274
Re: Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog-Sothoth View Post
I just enjoy playing devil's advocate.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog-Sothoth View Post
Armillary, allow me ask you this question: how do you intend to tax and regulate a drug that people can grow and maintain themselves?
The same way we regulate and tax tobacco. There is little incentive to grow it yourself and face prosecution when you can purchase it at your local gas station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog-Sothoth View Post
How would the government catch substance abusers, specifically hard drugs addicts, when certain pharmaceutical OTC drugs have a similar impact upon a person's health and well-being?
When I say "hard drugs" I'm not talking about OTC pharmaceuticals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog-Sothoth View Post
How would one differentiate between an abuser or a patient in dire need?
I was talking specifically about marijuana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog-Sothoth View Post
If marijuana is legalized, how will the DEA and local law enforcement focus on catching people who peddle hard drugs?
Instead of spending time worrying about marijuana smokers they would focus on catching people who sell more dangerous drugs.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-13-2011, 08:40 PM
SkullDude SkullDude is a male SkullDude is offline
Sage of Wisdom
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost Woods
View Posts: 1,252
Re: Drugs

Make possession of all drugs legal except when they would be considered poisons(I'm guessing some poisons are illegal to own in bulk). Put the drugs through the FDA and regulate their sale.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -