#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Tab.
Send a message via AIM to Scoria
View Posts: 8,251
Re: Marijuana - Good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames of Valor View Post
It would be appreciated if the pro-marijuana gang would cite some sources for their claims.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis#Medical_use

Oh, and the actual experience of it. The truth of the matter is that you can't have a fairly considered opinion until you have done it. Just the same as anything else, like a kid hating vegetables.
Last Edited by Scoria; 10-12-2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,800

First off, what is "good" and what is "bad"? And who has the right to determine what is what? Is it bad because it damages your body? Well in that case sodas need to be outlawed, along with fastfood, contact sports, and while we're at it, knives, guns, and all sharp objects. Or is it bad because it can cause you to become delusional and disconnected with reality? In that case, we should outlaw alcohol and Christianity.
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiyuu_004 View Post
First off, what is "good" and what is "bad"? And who has the right to determine what is what? Is it bad because it damages your body? Well in that case sodas need to be outlawed, along with fastfood, contact sports, and while we're at it, knives, guns, and all sharp objects. Or is it bad because it can cause you to become delusional and disconnected with reality? In that case, we should outlaw alcohol and Christianity.
Too philosophical.
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 12:30 AM
strummin on a streetlight
3DS ID: 3626-0056-0517
View Posts: 4,482

Quote:
It would be appreciated if the pro-marijuana gang would cite some sources for their claims.
*flashes his weed-gang sign*

yea I don't really have stats, mostly because I made a point not to be THAT GUY in speech class that did the pro-marijuana persuasive speech.

from personal experience: over usage can cause one to become psycologically addicted to the drug because it can at times heighten sensual feelings such as food, visuals (tracers and such), and over all entertainment experience such as movies, humor, videogames, etc...

If the former doesn't happen it can greatly increase the efficiency with which one can think creatively, sometimes dipping into the completely random zone.

Depends on the person though and how much mental control they have over the chemical, resistence to the effects of THC, etc....

the side effect is that "real life" aka not being on the high becomes much more boring and painful to deal with as a couple days of life after a month or two of being a raging toker can be roughly described as highly monochromatic as opposed to full of vibrancy and colour.

Once a person's habit becomes to large to maintain and if they want something new to cure their infinite boredom: this is usually when the real fun begins in drug experimentation.

and by fun I mean 'shrooms, ecstasy, acid, then maybe coke.

^not something to be lightly toyed with if you are a not knowledgeable about the chemical make up of said drugs and/or the source.

Dirty acid will put holes in your brain while good acid will make you see delightfully pretty colours (so I hear.)

then there's all sorts of prescription drug cocktails that one can try out.

but I don't know anything about those.

also:

Drugs are bad.

#45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Sapere aude
View Posts: 5,408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoria View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis#Medical_use

Oh, and the actual experience of it. The truth of the matter is that you can't have a fairly considered opinion until you have done it. Just the same as anything else, like a kid hating vegetables.
Then most people on this forum shouldn't discuss war issues, child molestation, bestiality, religion (for the Atheists), the list goes on. You don't need marijuana to debate the actual issues. Just stats and facts.

That experience pertains only to the how impaired you perceived yourself. Not to economic issues. Not to issues of medical marijuana. Not to issues of legalization. For those, personal experiences are relatively irrelevant, there is no one size fit's all.

To remember friendship is to recall those
conversations that it seemed a sin to break off.

- Christopher Hitchens -
Last Edited by Flames of Valor; 10-12-2009 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 12:36 AM
gin & ironic
View Posts: 2,375

Weeds nice man, it makes you feel brand new.

When I turn on a joint or eat christy's space brownies I feel good.

#47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Tab.

What is the actual issue though? What does it do that alchahol or cigarettes can't? I used to think it was a bad thing, and then I did it.

Now I look at weed and I think, "....... So why is this illegal if that's all it does?"

I mean, you have to smoke a LOT of **** to get really trippy. I ACCIDENTALLY did that once. It was like being drunk except with a weird almost out of body experience.
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Sapere aude

Quote:
What is the actual issue though? What does it do that alchahol or cigarettes can't? I used to think it was a bad thing, and then I did it.

Now I look at weed and I think, "....... So why is this illegal if that's all it does?"

I mean, you have to smoke a LOT of **** to get really trippy. I ACCIDENTALLY did that once. It was like being drunk except with a weird almost out of body experience.
The actual issue is the mean severity of impairment and the statistics associated with it. The economic benefits, the societal benefits/harms, the reduction in crime and convictions, etc. Those are the real issues.

Cigarettes don't impair your judgement. Alcohol is culturally embedded. It isn't going anywhere, period.

It's illegal for the wrong reasons. It should be legal.

Do you agree that the members of this board should abstain from discussing the issues I listed above?

- Christopher Hitchens -
Last Edited by Flames of Valor; 10-12-2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
The actual issue is the mean severity of impairment and the statistics associated with it. The economic benefits, the societal benefits/harms, the reduction in crime and convictions, etc. Those are the real issues.

Cigarettes don't impair your judgement. Alcohol is culturally embedded. It isn't going anywhere, period.

Do you agree that the members of this board should abstain from discussing the issues I listed above?
1st bolded) cigarettes are actually a nootropic, thus enhance your judgment.

2nd bolded) I vehemently disagree.

#50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Tab.

No. It's kinda funny. This is an argumentative section but almost everyone agrees here.

For arguments sake weed effects your judgment and body in general at a much faster rate, obviously, than alcohol does. At least for the general population and excluding what we consider to be "lightweights".

I actually wish that someone would bring up "evidence" to say that weed would only hurt the economy, not change the financing for criminals and turn everyone into a gay orgy loving american flag burning hippy peace lov-.... nevermind, that's the republicans.

Yes, it may possibly hurt the human body more than the effects, both short and long are worth, but if it were legal we could more easily put it in our bodies in a non harmful way.
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Panic bomb, baby.
View Posts: 1,329

Quote:

I'll disagree with the Atheism thing. I've done religion, and had enough of it thank you very much.

And you can not treat all social issues the same way.
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 01:11 AM
You will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away
View Posts: 1,421

Quote:
I actually wish that someone would bring up "evidence" to say that weed would only hurt the economy, not change the financing for criminals and turn everyone into a gay orgy loving american flag burning hippy peace lov-.... nevermind, that's the republicans.
weed is burned and then thrown away and generally doesn't act to increase productivity. I'd argue that the consumption of weed is almost pure waste.
same with tobacco.
and almost arguably alcohol(there is SOME nutritional value though this is often offset by the damage it does)

that said the cost of keeping these things from society tends to outweigh the benefits

IMO the best way to deal with these things is as follows:
1 slap on the wrist fine.
2 telling the public that such things are bad but if used in moderation aren't horrible, thus forcing the population to RATIONALIZE reasons not to use them other than, "I'll get in trouble"

System: Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz// ASrock Pro4 // Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3-2133 // GTX 660Ti // Corsair 650Hx // Corsair H100 // Corsair Carbide 300r // Crucial M4 256GB SSD // WD Cavier 3TB HD
Our governments came up with a way to cause human extinction(nuclear missiles) well before they solved poverty.
Last Edited by nighthawkx; 10-12-2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 01:15 AM
Tab.

Weed under an ounce has actually been decriminalized in my own state of Connecticut, so if caught you cannot be arrested but you can be fined I believe up to 250$.

This makes my government seem a little less machine powered and completely faceless. But only by a little bit.
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 01:34 AM
sage_of_fire sage_of_fire is a male United States sage_of_fire is offline
Vagiza?
Send a message via AIM to sage_of_fire
View Posts: 2,296

Science is a *****. Honestly. Coming from someone who DOES NOT SMOKE POT AT ALL, I can say that my opinion is that it should be legalized for not so strict medical use. It can't be denied that it has medicinal use, it just does, period.
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawkx View Post
weed is burned and then thrown away and generally doesn't act to increase productivity. I'd argue that the consumption of weed is almost pure waste.

same with tobacco.

and almost arguably alcohol(there is SOME nutritional value though this is often offset by the damage it does)
social engineering is bad, first of all.

@first bolded: do you know how much art and culture is derived from the creative influences of THC? probably not, and if you do it seems you disregard it as being useless

@second bolded: tobacco is a nootropic: allow the thinkers to aid themselves as needed, and the workers in the meat grinder to relieve stress as they see fit.

@3rd bolded: alcohol is the safest and least "crazy" of the social lubricants. We'd probably end up killing each other before seeing any quantifiable good from the banning of the substance.

#56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 01:55 AM
Sapere aude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
1st bolded) cigarettes are actually a nootropic, thus enhance your judgment.
Not by a comparable amount.

Quote:
2nd bolded) I vehemently disagree.
I wasn't asking you

Quote:
No. It's kinda funny. This is an argumentative section but almost everyone agrees here.

For arguments sake weed effects your judgment and body in general at a much faster rate, obviously, than alcohol does. At least for the general population and excluding what we consider to be "lightweights".

Yes, it may possibly hurt the human body more than the effects, both short and long are worth, but if it were legal we could more easily put it in our bodies in a non harmful way.
You never answered my question about topics no one has experienced.

I'm not saying weed is, bad, or should be illegal, I just want some sources because many claims here seem ridiculous.

Quote:
I'll disagree with the Atheism thing. I've done religion, and had enough of it thank you very much.
I personally have never experienced religion.

Quote:
And you can not treat all social issues the same way.
Obviously.

- Christopher Hitchens -
Last Edited by Flames of Valor; 10-12-2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 01:58 AM
Tab.

Quote:
You never answered my question about topics no one has experienced.

I'm not saying weed is, bad, or should be illegal, I just want some sources because many claims here seem ridiculous.
I said no. You were right, despite it being in a very ungeneralized way.

And would you mind listing the ridiculous claims that weren't obvious jokes and I will do my best to try and separate truth from fact on what is experienced.
Last Edited by Scoria; 10-12-2009 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 02:06 AM
Sapere aude

Quote:
And would you mind listing the ridiculous claims that weren't obvious jokes?
Well what constitutes an obvious joke?

These I found out of the ordinary,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno
A little marijuana is actually good for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas3345
I've heard it helps asthma
It also increases blood flow and promotes new brain cell growth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyras
well one hand, can be quite beneficial if consumed orally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by you
Cannabis is good for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. 32
there is nothing to suggest that cannabis is harmful

- Christopher Hitchens -
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 02:13 AM
Tab.

Cannabis is a natural muscle relaxant and eases most types of pain, very small regular doses are proven to keep a person much calmer than they may usually be. I don't personally know how but it does increase your blood flow, you can feel this by testing your pulse after usage of the plant.

Smoking ANYTHING is bad for you as smoke of any type will harm your lungs, statistically though cannabis smoke is much "healthier" for your lungs than cigarette smoke because it's a natural plant where as cigarettes have some tobacco and then countless chemicals that only hurt you more and more with the addition of each one to the mix. Orally cannabis does no immediately obvious damage to your body, if any.
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Well what constitutes an obvious joke?

These I found out of the ordinary,

^here let me be your humor filter:

tomas3345=good joke