Welcome to the Zelda Universe Rules Page.
ZU is a very large internet community and, as with all communities, it has rules to ensure that everything runs smoothly. Below is a summary of the ZU "police force", a brief summary of how warnings/infractions work, a list of the rules, and explanations as to what all of those rules mean.
It should be noted that every rule below (save ones that say they specifically apply only to one part of the forum, such as signature rules) applies everywhere on ZU. This includes private messages, profile pages, posts on people's walls, etc.
Distribution of Powers
The rules are enforced by a number of members of ZU known collectively as “moderators”. Every moderator has control over a specific part of ZU (with many sections having more than one moderator enforcing the rules there, and with many moderators having power over more than one section).
In their area a moderator is a police officer, jury and, to an extent, judge. They are free to issue warnings, delete posts, lock threads, or issue infractions.
A more specific breakdown of moderator powers:
- Forum Moderators have control over one (or more) forums. They can lock threads, move threads, issue warnings, issue infractions, ban members, delete posts, and delete threads.
- Section Moderators have the same abilities as Forum Moderators, but over an entire section (such as “Community” or “Zelda”) of Zelda Universe.
- Super Moderators have power over every forum and can also do basic administrative tasks, such as blocking users from seeing certain forums.
- Administrators/Webmasters have all of the powers of a Super Moderator, but can also alter the forums and/or website.
If you have a complaint with about the way a moderator has acted your first step should be to discuss your concern with that moderator in a private message.
If you are unable to come to an agreement with that moderator then you should private message another one, stating your complaint and providing links to the relevant post(s) or thread(s). This ensures that the entire moderator team knows that there is a dispute and we can all decide what the solution should be.
If you break one of the rules listed below a moderator will issue you either a warning or an infraction. Warnings do not count towards a ban, while infractions do.
Zelda Universe operates on a point system for bans: If you acquire 10 points or more you are temporarily banned. Every infraction you receive increases your point count. The following list lists offences and the number of points you receive if you are infracted for them. If something is an “instant ban” then you are permanently banned from ZU for breaking that rule; this ban will not expire. Below is a list of offences that will get you points, not all offences are in this list, as not all of them will cause you to gain points. A complete list of rules (as well as explanations) is below.
(Click on the rules for further clarification.)
- No explicit images/text (insta-ban)
- No multiple accounts (insta-ban)
- No flaming/trolling (4 points)
- No lying to a moderator (4 points)
- No harassment (4 points)
- No spamming (2 points)
- No plagiarism (4 points)
- No piracy (music/movies/ROMs/etc.) (4 points)
- No advertising outside of the Advertising Forum (4 points)
- No perverted posts (0-2 points)
- No public arguing with a moderator (2 points)
- No rent-a-modding (2 points)
- No bypassing the swear filter (2 points)
- Know the avatar rules
- Know the signature rules
- After three bans, the third becomes permanent
Other (equally important) things.
- Try to keep swearing to a minimum.
- Discussion is encouraged - blatant arguing is not.
- Take heed of what the moderators and admins say.
- Do not request to be made a moderator or admin.
- Do not revive dead threads.
- Ask only one moderator for help.