Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2008, 06:01 AM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 395
Spirit and Shadow Temple, which comes first?

I've come accross a few people who say that they did the spirit temple before shadow temple as it follows the story better, eg link meeting Sheik at Kakoriko village where he and link are both taken out by a shadow beast and also the village being on fire, it does kind of make sence in a way for it being the last temple also Impa being the sage of shadow and herself being the guardian of Zelda, also if you notice on the file selection screen, the spirit medalion comes before the shadow medalion.

However to get to Spirit temple you need the lense of truth and as you may know, that is the main item for use in the shadow temple and you cannot get the lense of truth unless you been to the well, thus you have to go to kakariko village anyway and that cutscene would automatically play and afterwards Sheik would teach you the Nocturne of shadow. This shows that the game was designed for you to complete shadow temple first and then spirit.

So i was wondering any one else here who did spirit temple before shadow temple.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2008, 06:40 AM
Busy bee
Steam ID: EternaLegendEL

View Posts: 17,557
Re: Spirit and Shadow Temple, which comes first?

I suppose that it is a possibility, but I have never done the game in that order before.

I have realised that the Shadow medallion does come after the Spirit temple's medallion, but I don't think that they did it in that order to show a hint that you should do it in that particular order.

It's just something that people have realised that you can do.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2008, 08:09 AM
I'M ON A BOAT
View Posts: 99

I always do shadow then spirit. I've never with any other files try spirit to shadow. I'm sure it's mostly because of the whole Lens of Truth thing. But really, I like an awesome boss fight against Twinrova before I go off to Ganon's Tower.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Pym Particle Powered Protector
Send a message via AIM to Hank Pym Send a message via Skype™ to Hank Pym

View Posts: 1,881

While your points about how a Spirit-Shadow progression would work make sense, it could work just as well the opposite way. As Sorisque pointed out, Twinrova is the boss of the Spirit Temple. Wouldn't it make sense that the last main baddy you defeat before Ganondorf is his surrogate mother? And as you said, unless you've played the game before, chances are that you are going to go into Kakariko as an adult before finding the Lens of Truth as a child. So, it could really go either way, story-wise.

As to whether I've ever done it that way, no I haven't. Once I beat a game a particular way, it's hard for me to do it in a different order the next time. Especially if I've beaten the game the same way several times, as I have with OoT. I also must do the Fire Temple before the Water Temple in all of my games, despite the fact that those can be completed in either order as well. Just a little bit of OCD I guess. Probably more nostalgia than anything though. And familiarity.

My Music Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre de Mundo
Doran, your sunday post was worthless and you ruined my Metroid jokes. You're fired.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 395

I guess if there is new player who doesnt know what happens next, they will follow what navi says, she would normally point out where to go next, im not quite sure exactly what she says after the water temple is completed. But yes i agree with you about twinrova. I my self chose to complete shadow temple first then spirit temple. I also thought that the spirit temple was the best temple in the game so it summed it up very nicely as being the last temple.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 3

I think it may have been a possibility that Shadow Temple was intended to be the last dungeon early in the game, and they ended up changing it.

Honestly though, the ONLY evidence we have of that supposed to be the last temple is the Nocturne Of Shadow and Shadow Medallion being before the Spirit Medallion and Spirit Temple warp song (can't remember the name).

As for the scene of Kakariko Village burning, that only happens when you're an adult... you can only get in the well as a kid. So you CAN get the Lens of Truth without seeing that cutscene.

HOWEVER, you need the Hover Boots from the Shadow Temple to actually make it to the Spirit Temple.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Dragongirl04089 Dragongirl04089 is a female United States Dragongirl04089 is offline
Spirit of Seasons
View Posts: 1,982

When I played it I first got the hoover boots then went directly to the spirit temple to learn it's song. However I defeated the Shadow temple first. It just feels like the right order.

merodi_kenjin is my BF. 9-12-2008

Please click my dragons!
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Goron
View Posts: 276

I always do Shadow first. On the inventory screen, the medallions go Forest, then Fire, then Water, then Shadow then Spirit.

I'm also sure that Navi tells you to go to Shadow after Water.

I dunno... that's the order I've always done it in.

"You need to pull the Master Sword out of the Pedestal of Time by opening the Door of Time in the Temple of Time with the Song of Time after you get the Ocarina of Time and talk to the Sage of Time in 'Ocarina of Time'."

#9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2008, 04:13 PM
GanonsGirl1998 GanonsGirl1998 is a female United States GanonsGirl1998 is offline
Gerudo Queen
Send a message via Skype™ to GanonsGirl1998
View Posts: 47

I've always done Shadow then Spirit. I might try doing Spirit then Shadow. Maybe it means that you FIRST go get the Lens of Truth, then go to the Spirit Temple, seeing as you need the Lens of Truth to get there. But I'll try this theory as soon as I start up another game.

Failure is NOT an option!!!!
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 90

But don't you need the hover boots to cross the haunted wasteland? Surely this indicates that Shadow comes before Spirit?
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2008, 05:13 PM
HAPPY TUF PIC DAY!!!!!!! IN SOME REALITIESSSSS!!@@@@@!@!!! !!@!!!!!!@@@@@@@
View Posts: 1,526

^ Longshot baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville boy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterlime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson_Hero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?

the truth
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2008, 09:41 PM
As in doormat.
View Posts: 659

it makes sense that spirit comes last, since its basically ganondorfs headquarters

plus that where you fight twinrova

I have adopted both Shinobi TZ and twilight_princess98.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm Caillou.
View Posts: 2,280

Well shadow is supposed to go first. Therefore I say shadow. Ya, sure you could do spirit first but shadow is supposed to be first if thats what your asking.

Thanks to the fantastic Liah for the amazing sig and avatar!!!
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,177

The Shadow Temple comes first. That's why Navi pressures you to visit Kakariko Village after the Water Temple's completion and why both the Lens of Truth and Hover Boots are needed to even lay eyes on the Spirit Temple.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2008, 01:43 AM
HAPPY TUF PIC DAY!!!!!!! IN SOME REALITIESSSSS!!@@@@@!@!!! !!@!!!!!!@@@@@@@
View Posts: 1,526

Lens of Truth

Technically you can get this as soon as you learn the Prelude of Light and the Song of Storms. The Windmill Man is enough of a source. He says SevenYears ago a young boy played a strange song, and afterwards it messed up this windmill. After you learn the SoS, you can travel back in time and play that song to him. The cutscene shows the well draining for a long time. It was originally a massive toilet used by barbarians in the uncivilized times before such a thing as manners.

Hover Boots

The Hover Boots are not required to complete the Spirit Temple. You don't even need them to get there.

The Longshot

Replaces the boots for going to the Spirit Temple. Longshot to one of the 3 crates at the beginning of the Haunted Wasteland.

This is all Old News

Many people have had the freedom to complete the Spirit temple before the Shadow.

There are times when Navi will point you in the direction of the Spirit Temple before the Shadow. After beating the Water Temple, if you don't enter Kakariko Village, she says:

Let's look for someone who might
know something about the other
Sages!

I wonder who built the Spirit
Temple, and for what purpose?

The desert...that is where
Ganondorf the Evil King was born.
If we go there, we might find
something...

Therefore

There is a 3rd option: There might not be a "Which Comes First" after all. The fact that you can choose either one to complete right after the Water Temple is proof.

And... why not: I'm going as far as saying The Forest Temple may not have to be the First temple to beat in this game. How? Exploration and Ignorance. Ignore Shiek when she tells you to save the forest girl. Listen to her when she tells you to get the hookshot. You have to get it anyways to even access the bridge to the Bolero of Fire. Having said that, it is still possible that The Fire Temple can be completed without the Fairy Bow AND The Hookshot, no tricks. If I include tricks/glitches, oh my, you can do all of these temples out of order. Also, this is based on my previous knowledge aka playing this game after beating it already. However, it is just theoretically possible that the above can be done by somewhat legitimate means, as if it is the player's first time. Bombs can isolate the Flame Dancers' heads. That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville boy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterlime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson_Hero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?

the truth
Last Edited by SevenYears; 06-03-2008 at 02:27 AM. Reason:
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2008, 05:10 AM
Anouki
View Posts: 58

I would say shadow temple comes first because of the order of the medallions in the quest status screen but then again when my mum played it she completed the spirit temple before the shadow temple

#17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Hero of Hyrule
View Posts: 912

I did Spirit temple first, I only ran in to Shadow to get the hover boots....
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Mogma
View Posts: 174

Spirit Temple is correctly first. Thats the order of them in the Chamber of Sages, so thas good enough for me. And also its the order you get the sages on the Quest Screen. Forest, Fire, Water, Spirit and Shadow.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 63

You don't need the hover boots to get to spirit temple, but you DO need them to beat the temple, because in the first silver rupee collecting room as an adult you must hover to get one of the rupees. I believe that's it but the hover boots ARE needed to beat spirit temple, I know this because I wanted to save shadow temple for last because when I was a wee lad the temple used to freak me out so i wanted to put it off as long as possible, but I needed to hover boots to beat Spirit Temple. And I agree Spirit should be last, it makes more sense to do the temple that is essentially the main villain's original home rather than the temple of the mysterious people last. It's just more climatic that way!
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2008, 01:54 PM
sage_of_fire sage_of_fire is a male United States sage_of_fire is offline
Vagiza?
Send a message via AIM to sage_of_fire
View Posts: 2,296

I think it may actually be spirit-shadow. I've always gone shadow-spirit, but it's always bothered me that the medallions are mixed up.

Tags
shadow, spirit, temple