Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Lord of Suits
View Posts: 411
What is so great about ALTTP?

I found it boring to the point playing it makes me sleepy. What is so great about it?
Last Edited by Suit Link; 03-29-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Big Daddy
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-29-2012, 08:59 PM
of Zelda
Send a message via AIM to Legend
View Posts: 155
Re: What is so great about ALTTP?

My opinion is that the game is great. It's great. opinions. yeah.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-30-2012, 04:54 AM
Himynameischris Himynameischris is a male United States Himynameischris is offline
Deku Scrub
Send a message via AIM to Himynameischris Send a message via Skype™ to Himynameischris
View Posts: 10

It came with my brand new Snes, which I was only about 4 or 5. I thought it was amazing and unlike any other video game I ever played which was probably only Super Mario 1, 2, Donkey Kong, and Duck Hunt. It was the first game that I actually was able to beat. My dad and I would play it for hours. It will always hold a special place in my heart.
1 person liked this post: Bravo
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-30-2012, 06:11 AM
Hylian
View Posts: 626

Great overworld, items, bosa battles and music.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-30-2012, 07:29 AM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,157

At the time, the only two Zeldas existing were the original and TAoL. ALttP was a HUGE step forward. Not just the jump from 8 bit graphics to 16, but now stereo sound with a wider variety of music and sound effects, fancier visual effects, side quests, more variety in landscapes and dungeons, a much longer quest, a more intricate story...

Just everything about it was a step forward from the previous Zeldas.

So for a lot of us who played that game in chronological order right when it was released as kids, it was a big, big deal.

Maybe it's all about nostalgia. Maybe the game means more to me than most other Zeldas because I played it when I very young. Maybe this is why for a lot of people who played OoT when they were very young, OoT has that special magic for them.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-30-2012, 07:59 AM
The Hero of Time
View Posts: 1,860

imo, ALttP would have been much more impressive back in the 90's because until OoT, it was the best in most peoples' opinions, but now that it's been about 20 years, it is no longer the best imo. It was a huge step forward from the first two and videogames in general, but I think that one of the 3D games is a better choice for a best game in the series in a more current time period. My personal favorite is SS, with MM in second.

Played some, but not beat yet/Simply Beat/100% complete at least one quest/Not played at all
(not counting 2nd quests in any category)

LoZ, AoL, ALttP, LADX, OoT, MM, OoS, OoA, TWW, FSA, TMC, TP, PH, ST,
OoT3D, FS:AE, SS
, ALBW
Last Edited by The Doctor; 03-30-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post:
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 599

ALttP is a great game. Lots of overworld exploration. Good dungeons. Plenty of items to collect. Good difficulty.

It's one of my favorites!
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-30-2012, 01:02 PM
The Space Sage
View Posts: 727

Everything is great about ALTTP.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Filthy beast of meat and hair
Send a message via Skype™ to Jin
View Posts: 544

ALTTP is still one of the greatest and most engaging SNES games out there and it was a fairly early title on the system. noticing that it can stand apart among so many games that came later shows that it has a bit more than nostalgia going for it.

I was an amazing leap forward from the first two games in the series. Probably much more of a jump in innovation than OoT was from ALTTP. Adding all the very basic elements such as recurring characters, a story, a mythology that persists to this day, the Hylian name, the Master Sword, the goddesses, Kakariko, Ganondorf, the Zora as a race and not just a monster. The original two were incredibly basic games that only gave players the absolute minimum of story and all NPCs only really existed to give Link hints on where to go next or heal hearts. They were definitely not characters by any means.

I took one very basic and generic fantasy genre game and made it into a series on its own with its very own unique mythology and laid all the groundwork for the rest of the series that came after. Almost everything we know about Hyrule Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, and the Triforce came from ALTTP.

Not to mention that it appears to be one of the few games in the series where you might just find a use for almost all the items you collect and not only for defeating the dungeon boss. Nothing is just a gimmick to be used only once in the dungeon it is found in, but almost all the items can be used for any situation out in the overworld.
4 people liked this post: Bravo, Janus, Japas, Rakshael
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-30-2012, 07:32 PM
But Vegeta, Trix are for kids
View Posts: 979

I started with OoT and didn't start with LoZ-ALttP until after WW came out. I became accustomed to the story involved with the 3D & later games so when I played ALttP I just didn't like it as much. It was challenging though I'll give it that.
But never will

Wolf Pack Pride
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 04:11 AM
girl, you and I will die unbelievers, bound to the tracks of the train.
Send a message via Skype™ to Lysis
View Posts: 19,277

it's the best ♣♣♣♣ing zelda game in the series
But who could ever live that way?
Ya hey, ya hey."
-
index / codex / annex

#12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 05:33 AM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Send a message via Skype™ to Coconut Water

View Posts: 35,494

Awesome end boss:

#13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Jiro
View Posts: 11,920

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidLink View Post
I found it boring to the point playing it makes me sleepy. What is so great about it?
I think that this game definitely is great. I think compared to the 3D Zeldas, it isn't as good, however I thought the bosses were awesome, the difficulty was perfect, and all the items were quite awesome. It was also really fun trying to collect all the bottles and heart pieces.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Custom User Title
View Posts: 10,609

Well, that's why you can't enjoy it, you're totally missing out the second 'T' on the game's title.

Naw, seriously, the game's just fun, once you're thrown into the action (wich is VERY early when compared to newer Zelda games) you get no pretty much no iterruptions, you're on your own to explore the world, you get a lot of optional content, and TONS of dungeons to beat. It's also pretty challenging, but not ridiculously hard, and has a pretty much perfect difficulty curve, especially when comparing it with the newer Zeldas, wich pretty much become easier as you get further into the game.

Not to mention that it has pretty much the best bosses in the franchise, instead of having a simple pattern of dungeon-item-on-weak-point>obliterate-with-sword>repeat-3-times, you can find several different ways to fight them with different weapons, and the dungeon item is not always the best choice (if it's useful at all)

But I can see how somebody may not like it, especially after playing later games, it's nowhere close to being unplayable now, but the game is old, and it's pretty noticeable.
Last Edited by Khao; 03-31-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 AM
The ZU Paladin
Send a message via AIM to Janus Send a message via Skype™ to Janus
View Posts: 6,067

One thing I'd like to add is that for me, ALttP had the best dungeon music of the series.

I love the feel of this song. It makes the dungeons seem much more dangerous, and that there's no place to rest. Everything in that dungeon is out to kill you, escape is impossible except through death (if even then), that sort of feel. Since then the dungeons in Zelda seem to have progressively gotten more easy-going in atmosphere, with a sort of "Yeah, here's a puzzle, man. Just solve it. Or don't. 's all good" feel.

What I don't like is the Akira Himekawa manga. Seriously, what was with everyone's apple obsession?
Last Edited by Janus; 03-31-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 9

Its not just nostalgia. I played and beat OOT long before I ever even touched ALTTP. The first time I played it was on the GBA, and all subsequent times was on the VC. I absolutely love the game! It has some great music, great items, great bosses, and an awesome story line. I like how the game encourages exploration and figuring out things for yourself rather than the 3D titles that hold your hand. Don't get me wrong I love the 3D titles and ALTTP is not my favorite zelda game. It is an amazing game though that lots of the younger generation is missing out on because they can't get past the graphics and the lack of constant story advancement.
1 person liked this post: Nensense
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Goron
View Posts: 221

Its the greatest 2d Zelda game so far.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-01-2012, 01:46 PM
ALBW Apologist
View Posts: 966

In ALttP, you're on the run from the law! How cool is that? You talk to villagers and they run off and call the army on you. Red tunic guy is quick to point out that "With speed like that, it must have been easy to nab Zelda!" And your buddy under the bridge gives a bottle because "You're in a whole lot of trouble."

Like OoT, they either didn't want to or just couldn't tell an in-depth story outright. But there are details all throughout the game from various NPCs. Sahasralah will tell you that the sword is alive and chooses the Hero with its own will. After you draw the sword, Old Woman says, "Link, you look marvelous! Please save us from Agahnim." Presumably, some sort of physical change happened to Link upon drawing the sword.

I mean, it's good 2D Zelda. The dungeons in ALttP can hold their own against LoZ. Ganon's Tower is what 2D Zelda is supposed to be about. There Wizzrobes everywhere and they won't stop assaulting you with laser beams! You take out the Light World Bosses in rapid succession, and quite easily because you're the Legendary Hero now.

But not everyone has the same tastes, I guess.
1 person liked this post: Erikson
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Lord of Suits
View Posts: 411

The nostalgia factor is completely out for me because I was born with the newer games.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Posting is a craft i take very seriously
Send a message via AIM to Kuden
View Posts: 3,547

A lot of it for me is due to nostalgia, as plenty of the other posters said, and as Janus pointed out, the music is ♣♣♣♣ing awesome. especially the royal theme music as you enter the castle! i was so excited when they reused that in wind-waker as KORL theme.

also, this:
Quote:
But there are details all throughout the game from various NPCs. Sahasralah will tell you that the sword is alive and chooses the Hero with its own will. After you draw the sword, Old Woman says, "Link, you look marvelous! Please save us from Agahnim." Presumably, some sort of physical change happened to Link upon drawing the sword.
you kind of have to use your imagination and view link as this slowly growing, powerful character because obviously it's 2D...which makes the experience much cooler.

Your fire makes it all worthwhile.
[Tumblr/Last.fm/Formspring/Twitter]