Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #81 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Doctor Stroodle Doctor Stroodle is offline
Deku Scrub
Join Date: Mar 2012
View Posts: 22
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

And the fact that for it's time it WAS as good as people say it is, in comparison to other games of the time.
Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Linksoer
  #82 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2012, 11:01 AM
riserri riserri is a male England riserri is offline
Anouki
Send a message via Skype™ to riserri
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Termina
View Posts: 42
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

For it's time it was amazing. I was so bloody hooked when I got my paws on this game, and this is a while after it was released. I was born in 1991 so I must not have played it until at least '96.
Reply With Quote
  #83 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2012, 01:51 PM
MajorMajora MajorMajora is a male MajorMajora is offline
Sage of Wisdom
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: yonder
View Posts: 1,290
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viserys Targaryen View Post
But giving outright clues about puzzle solving is a form of hand holding. Be it Link looking at the torches or (more often than not) the sidekick character saying "Perhaps trying [insert possible solution here]?"

:/
I'm not talking about that at all. I'm talking about the difference between what you just said and seeing the existence of a torch that can be plainly seen.

Its like playing minesweeper without any numbers. The numbers don't tell you where mines are, they give you clues on to where. Not having them is just blindly testing for bombs, which according to a lot of people here would be a blast (Get it? Bomb? Blast? Bombs blast things?) I hope you get what I'm saying here.

Also, being good for its time isn't a reason to praise it now. It really only deserves praise if it aged well.
Last Edited by MajorMajora; 04-09-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #84 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Doctor Stroodle Doctor Stroodle is offline
Deku Scrub
Join Date: Mar 2012
View Posts: 22
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

Quote:
Also, being good for its time isn't a reason to praise it now. It really only deserves praise if it aged well.
By that logic we should all hate OoT because the graphics are ❤❤❤❤ compared to today's graphics.
Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Linksoer
  #85 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2012, 07:14 PM
MajorMajora MajorMajora is a male MajorMajora is offline
Sage of Wisdom
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: yonder
View Posts: 1,290
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Stroodle View Post
By that logic we should all hate OoT because the graphics are ❤❤❤❤ compared to today's graphics.
I don't judge a game by its graphics.
Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: Mikau, The Guitar Legend, Suit Link
  #86 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 AM
The Teacher The Teacher is a male Australia The Teacher is offline
Deku Scrub
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Blue Mountains
View Posts: 6
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viserys Targaryen View Post
I honestly dont have that much of an issue with Mike's post because, thats kinda what i was thinking. (sorry.) Because really, 2D Zelda in general before the Oracle games were basically: "You are on an adventure. Its up to you to figure out what to do. Vague hints are all you have to go on. Have fun." Everything in the early Zelda games was like that. ALttP actually had MORE hints, MORE to point you in the right direction, and MORE junk in general than the previous games.
I personally agree, if you look at the original zelda, you were given very little clues on what to do, the game didn't "spoon feed" you, and also, being a long time ago, there was no internet so you could not simply search the solutions to these puzzles. But the lack of help rewards you when you complete it, (spent hours myself finding the book which gets you into the second dungeon) makes you feel like a real hero.

But I acknowledge people who have the balls to post their opinions on the forums, there aren't enough people on the net who stand up for themselves. You sir, will go far.
Reply With Quote
4 people liked this post: Florina Laufeyson, Lazara the Last, SouthpawLink
  #87 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Lazara the Last Lazara the Last is a male Norway Lazara the Last is offline
Zora Warrior
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zora's Domain
View Posts: 322
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

ALttP is personally one of my favorite games. I love how you have to find out everything on your own. And a person like Fi doesn’t tell you everything to do and everywhere to go.
__________________
Played, not beat/Beat/100%/3 Heart Challenge/ Not played
LoZ, AoL, ALttP, LADX, OoT3D(3DMQ), MM, OoS, OoA, FS, WWHD(SQHM), FSA, TMC, TP, PH, ST, SS(HM)

“Well...I guess this is farewell, huh? Light and shadow can't mix, as we all know. But... Never forget that there's another world bound to this one.”
Signature by zeldafan12z
Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Linksoer
  #88 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 04:21 PM
MajorMajora MajorMajora is a male MajorMajora is offline
Sage of Wisdom
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: yonder
View Posts: 1,290
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
*sigh*
I guess I have to write THIS post again.

ALttP was not just "good for its time", although it certainly was that. ALttP is THE definitive Zelda game, even more so than OoT. So much of subsequent Zelda games (including OoT) imitate it so shamelessly that it's not even funny.

The music was phenomenal. The worst music in ALttP is still better than the best music in OoT, except in cases where OoT actually just re-used ALttP songs. Songs which were NEVER in the Zelda series up until ALttP include:
  • Zelda's Lullaby
  • Ganondorf's Theme
  • Hyrule Castle Theme
  • Kakariko Village Theme
  • The Master Sword's Theme
  • The Triforce's Fanfare

Which, aside from Link's Theme which originates from LoZ, accounts for EVERY IMPORTANT ZELDA SONG. But that's just what got reused. It also includes such classics as the cave theme (only ever appearing once again as a cameo in MM), the Dark World Theme, the two excellent dungeon themes, and I forget how many others. ALttP's music is the best in the series.



The graphics are actually timeless. Long after OoT's graphics have faded, it's possible to still look at ALttP and say "that's pretty". More than a decade later, almost the EXACT SAME GRAPHICAL STYLE was reused in FSA, a brand new game. Why does Link have pink hair? I dunno. But it looks pretty damn awesome on him, and if Nintendo had left it pink in FSA I would have had no problem with that.



The gameplay is the EXACT RIGHT level of challenge. You say there aren't enough visual cues to tell you how to solve a puzzle? Bull. There are, but they're SUBTLE. They're right there, telling you how to solve the puzzle, but you're ignoring them. Link's eyes tell you where to look because TWW is a 3D game with a movable camera and it's possible for the camera to never actually show you a key part of the puzzle. You might never see that stick, or that block, because the camera's facing the other way. Link's eyes compensate for that, but a little too much because it not only tells you to look around because there's something you may not have seen yet, it tells you exactly where to look, thereby telling you what the solution is.

In ALttP, there is no "camera angle". In any given room, you can see everything. At once. Nothing is hidden from view, except when it being hidden is part of the puzzle (like a pressure switch underneath a pot, or a dark room with unlit torches, or a room whose wall moves). But aside from that, you wouldn't need Link's eyes to tell you which shaped peg to put in a round hole, would you? The round peg goes in the round hole. There's no "trial and error" about that. If you try to put the square peg in, that's your fault, not the game's.

You want REAL "trial and error" gameplay? Try playing the original, or AoL. They tell you practically NOTHING, and sometimes you just have to randomly wander around before you stumble upon New Kasuto, or walk around burning random bushes. THAT'S unnecessary. But ALttP is perfect; not too hard like LoZ or AoL, and not too easy like TWW or TP. And trust me: TWW was definitely way too easy. I honestly don't even know what a Game Over LOOKS like in that game. I genuinely can't remember if I ever got one. But ALttP? Yes, I died.

Next, there's plenty of non-linearity in ALttP. You can explore almost everywhere, almost immediately.

Then, there's the story. Before ALttP, the Goddesses didn't exist. Before ALttP, Ganon had always just been a blue pig monster. Before ALttP, Zoras were just monsters that spat fireballs at you. Before ALttP, there was no Master Sword. Before ALttP, there were no Sages. About all there WAS, was a princess who had a golden triangle, a blue pig who had another but wanted hers, a guy in green who killed the pig, and then a third triangle that he had to get out of a castle because a different princess fell asleep a long time ago. Seriously. That was everything. Before ALttP, Hyrule was a boring, boring place. But the mystery of Agahnim, who he was, what he was doing with the maidens, what his connection to Ganon was... THAT was interesting.

Finally, ALttP has a massive number of dungeons. There were, like, 12 or 13. How can you not respect that?
... Just wow. Look, you think alttp the past is great, and you gave plenty of good reasons. This OP gave good reasons for NOT liking it. each person is entitled to their own opinion. I don't like alttp, you do, but that is completely irrelevant to anything I've has been saying. The problem I've been trying to deal with is people constantly making up the stupidest reasons for attacking the OP. They claim that he's being a wimp who can't stand not having his hand held, which he never once complained about. The thing I said about games only being good if they age well was do to other people ignoring that fact when claiming "alttp the past was good for its time, therefore your argument is invalid".

To have a productive talk about why each of us has their different opinion on the game, let me state my opinion. For starters, on the part where you say that there ARE visual cues, while that is true in some cases, in others its completely false. I haven't played the game in quite a few months. This actually has to do with the lack of clues. I'm stuck on the second dark world dungeon, and its because I can't figure out what to do next. It feels like I'm trying to do a jigsaw, but I need to use scissors to cut them into the right shapes, in which I'm on my own. In other games, you could always get a certain goal, like "Oh, I need to get over that pool of quick sand," or "Oh, I need to light that torch." It's up to you to figure out how, but you know what your trying to do, rather than walking around 10 rooms trying to find a small detail that eluded you earlier, or stumbling about a secret switch (no exaggeration).

This isn't mentioning the time in the first dark world dungeon where I had to use an item on a certain statue that looked almost exactly alike to all the other statues that appeared in the dungeon and were only for decoration, with no indication or logical thought process that would elude to the idea of shooting it in the eye with an arrow.

And also, in general its not a good idea to state your opinions as fact. It makes you look like a jack-ass (not saying you are).

Though I have to agree with you on the bit about the number of dungeons. That is rather impressive.
Last Edited by MajorMajora; 04-11-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: AWJ, Suit Link
  #89 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Hveđrungr
3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Asgard
View Posts: 22,235
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

Quote:
This isn't mentioning the time in the first dark world dungeon where I had to use an item on a certain statue that looked almost exactly alike to all the other statues that appeared in the dungeon and were only for decoration, with no indication or logical thought process that would elude to the idea of shooting it in the eye with an arrow.
Except that that statue is indeed a different color than the other statues like it. (its bright green and the other decoration statues are reddish.) And the whole idea of "what do you do in Zelda involving eyeballs? SHOOT IT WITH AN ARROW! Granted that puzzle is pretty subtle, you can see how the wall isnt exactly supposed to stay where it is because the floor disappears under it. Theres actually enough visual clues that theres a puzzle going on there, that the player can try to solve without going "omg wtf."

versus a guide going "try shooting it with an arrow!"
__________________

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ You can still PM me for the clan test!
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: Bravo, Raikoh, SouthpawLink
  #90 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Hveđrungr
3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Asgard
View Posts: 22,235
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

Thats just a general rule of Zelda: It has only one eye? ARROW THROUGH IT!
__________________

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ You can still PM me for the clan test!
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
Reply With Quote
  #91 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Left4Cuccos Left4Cuccos is a male United States Left4Cuccos is offline
Knight of Skyloft
Steam ID: Spoot
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Flatland, U.S.
View Posts: 869
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

I used to be an adventurer, but then I got an arrow to the eyeball.
__________________
Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: Florina Laufeyson, Linksoer, The Regginator
  #92 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Rakshael Rakshael is a male United States Rakshael is online now
Fools. All of them.
Send a message via AIM to Rakshael Send a message via Skype™ to Rakshael
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Yaevin
View Posts: 2,708
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

I used to be a respected individual, but then I used an arrow to the knee ripoff joke.
__________________
-I-Drifter-I-
-I-Heart Machine-I-

Reply With Quote
  #93 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 06:34 PM
MajorMajora MajorMajora is a male MajorMajora is offline
Sage of Wisdom
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: yonder
View Posts: 1,290
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
Actually, there is. This is exactly one of the situations I meant when I said:

Well, you haven't actually told me which part of the dungeon you're stuck on, but if it's the room I'm thinking of, then it's another case of "look at the map".

However, you ARE right about "In other games, you could always get a certain goal, like "Oh, I need to get over that pool of quick sand," or "Oh, I need to light that torch." It's up to you to figure out how, but you know what your trying to do, rather than walking around 10 rooms trying to find a small detail that eluded you earlier, or stumbling about a secret switch (no exaggeration)". That's what's so great about it: in other games you're always given the exact way forward: "you have to do this next". Back in the days of ALttP, kids played games because they enjoyed them, not because they wanted to get through them as quickly as possible. The stumbling around was half the fun.

Actually, you kind of ARE saying that. However, what I meant by "having to make this post again" is because I find myself regularly making posts about how awesome ALttP is.
Kay, so its a difference of opinion. I'm very glad this thread went to this from "Lol you need your hand held you suck lol". I'd continue this argument, but I'm a bit tired right now. Just wanted to voice my relief.
Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post:
  #94 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2012, 06:35 PM
EternaLegend Sweden EternaLegend is offline
Busy bee
Steam ID: EternaLegendEL

Join Date: Jan 2008
View Posts: 17,557
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

Okay Rakshael, that's enough of the "arrow to the whatever" jokes please.

Let's get back on track with the thread thanks (this goes to anyone who posts in here).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #95 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-12-2012, 01:40 AM
Ralphpotato Ralphpotato is a male Wales Ralphpotato is offline
Zora Warrior
Steam ID: ralphpotato
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tower of Spirits, New Hyrule
View Posts: 369
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

I haven't read all of the comments, but I've skimmed through them, and read the first post in detail.

I personally love A Link to the Past. The game feels the most colorful to me of all of the games (except maybe Skyward Sword). The music was enriching to my ears, and the control scheme was just perfect for an SNES controller. Yes, parts of the game were annoying, and I consulted my little brother actually for help many times, but the feeling after beating a particularly hard section of the game (for example the third Light World boss) was so very rewarding.

A Link to the Past was one of those games I had to put down after a little bit and pick up later (like maybe an hour or day later). It was one of the most frustrating games, and yet for me, one of the best. I understand your complaints and disappointments, but I suppose my perspective on them is different than yours.
__________________
"Malevolent forces even now are mustering to attack our land of Hyrule."
Reply With Quote
  #96 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Windslayer8 Windslayer8 is a male Windslayer8 is offline
Deku Scrub
Steam ID: spartan7251
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kakariko Village
View Posts: 2
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

You know it was made in 1991, but it was also the 3RD Zelda game. And from Zelda II to A Link To The Past was probably the biggest step ive seen in a videogame's history.
__________________
Who can't love Zelda?
Reply With Quote
  #97 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Ikana-Soldier64 Ikana-Soldier64 is offline
???
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wandering in stygian
View Posts: 73
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

ALTTP > Your life.
__________________
You're doing it wrong.
Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Linksoer
  #98 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2012, 10:35 AM
KhaosOD KhaosOD is a male Mexico KhaosOD is offline
Anouki
Join Date: May 2012
View Posts: 44
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

I must admit it took me a while to adapt to ALttP's mechanics because my first few Zeldas (except Link's Awakening) were all 3D (OoT, MM, WW).

I think ALttP itself is shown to you in a very different, much more challenging way than more recent games and that's what made me after like 3 tries, to pick it up seriously and beat it.
I'd be lying if I told you I beat it with ease because some difficulty leaps were big at times.

For example the first time in the Dark World... while the Light World had its few enemies here and there, the Dark World was a jungle from the very beginning! Everything and everybody is out there to kill you!
And that's what in the end makes you master the game, that need to keep your hearts untouched until you access the next dungeon at least.

I like this game for being relentless and challenging, but that's just my opinion.
Last Edited by KhaosOD; 06-17-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typo Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Linksoer
  #99 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Daniel3 Daniel3 is a male Mexico Daniel3 is offline
Skyloftian
Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
View Posts: 279
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

To Big Daddy:

Just wait for Miyamoto to remake ALTTP for the 3DS...
Reply With Quote
  #100 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Frypolar Frypolar is a male United States Frypolar is offline
Deku Scrub
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Forest Temple
View Posts: 14
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN ALTTP

I'm sorry to hear that you have difficulty appreciating the game. I wouldn't compare it to MC though. aLttP had decent difficulty, MC..I could probably beat blindfolded.
Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Linksoer
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -