Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2012, 03:13 PM
View Posts: n/a
Re: A possible Majora's mask time parodox?

I always thought everything was pulled back 3 days, like there isn't a different outcome, as everything in existence is warped back in time with only Link being aware of it.

Though I suppose that's also the reason why the items were no longer in chests or whatnot in the future because Link took them back to the past. For them to be rewound in time, Link would need to be rewound in time, but Link is unchanged by the time shift and so is the same for the items he holds. Though that is different for the petty items like arrows and Rupees, but I always assumed they fell out of his quiver or bag ect.

The bank seemed pretty self explanatory, the stamp the guy put on Link's hand would have the name of the account (Link) and the amount in said account, so Link was unintentionally stealing from the guy. Also the characters you recieved masks from would nolonger own the mask in the past, because Link now owns it, and yeah, Kafei probably has a few of the Keaton masks ^^.

It would have been a nice touch and also less confusing if the chests Link got items like the Bow from would return like he hadn't been there and opened it before, but the chest be empty, because of course, Link took that item before and went to the past with it. I don't see this game as having a ton load of alternate time lines that Link leaves, because it didn't seem like Link left. Time itself was rewound like a video tape with only Link unaffected, and with that, certain things Link affects.

I don't understand the idea of "Link's not from Termina so it doesn't act like he exists and he is exempt from it's rules" or something to that effect. Whether Termina is another country type thing or a whole new dimension, it has it's own set of laws, like gravity that Link is bound to also. Surely it is the Goddess of Time who changes Time when Link plays the Ocarina, not Link himself. If Link doesn't apply by Termina's rules or physics, why can't he just fly up and lift the moon or something? Seems so ridiculous to me.

It'd be like me saying I'm from England, so when I'm in America I don't abide by their laws because America (as if it was a sentient being) isn't aware I exist. My two pennies.
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Anouki
View Posts: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseud O Nym View Post
I think that Link is just going back in time, like rewinding a cassette tape.
I agree, and that is probably why link looses all of his stuff.
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Anouki
Send a message via Skype™ to zantet
Steam ID: GallopingConch
View Posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foenix of Soro View Post
I don't understand the idea of "Link's not from Termina so it doesn't act like he exists and he is exempt from it's rules" or something to that effect. Whether Termina is another country type thing or a whole new dimension, it has it's own set of laws, like gravity that Link is bound to also. Surely it is the Goddess of Time who changes Time when Link plays the Ocarina, not Link himself. If Link doesn't apply by Termina's rules or physics, why can't he just fly up and lift the moon or something? Seems so ridiculous to me.

It'd be like me saying I'm from England, so when I'm in America I don't abide by their laws because America (as if it was a sentient being) isn't aware I exist. My two pennies.
I wasn't speaking in terms of physical laws. We're talking about an obvious magical realm with alternate dimensions. Changes to one dimension would not alter another, therefore, changes to Termina don't effect Link, because he's part of another alt. it's an abstract idea, yes, but in a world of probably sentient moons and evil masks it shouldn't be too hard to accept.

Other thought, ever played Braid? (If not, stop reading and go play it. Minor puzzle elements explained ahead, no real spoilers.) In World 3 you come across certain enemies and objects that have a sparkling green aura to them. Those things are not affected by any of the time bending that happens in the game. They continue at their own pace. You even find certain platforms that do the same to you. You can stand on the platform and rewind the world around you to your heart's content without any changes to yourself. Maybe Link works like Braid's sparkly dudes.

Tags
majora's mask, time travel, timeloop