Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#81 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Anouki
Send a message via Skype™ to Doopliss
View Posts: 53
Re: What order do you beat the OoT temples in?

Also, I think it is much more momentous to end with the Spirit Temple, being the birth place of Ganondorf.
  #82 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-03-2012, 06:13 PM
View Posts: 1,525

I can and will admit now that there seems to be heavier case in favor of the Spirit Temple being "officially" intended as the last temple. I just want to make sure everyone understands why somebody would find the Spirit Temple first on their first playthrough. It totally surprised me that most people actually didn't, because it seems so much more likely that way.

Unless you're using a strategy guide you really don't know anything about either temple at that point of the game on your first playthrough. You don't know that the Spirit Temple boss is related to Ganondorf or that the Shadow Temple is thematically related to the Bottom of the Well. You probably don't remember anymore what Sheik said, once, couple hours or days ago (or possibly even years ago, I've heard stories about people getting stuck in the Water Temple), or if Navi mentions going to Kakariko (if she actually even does that, does anybody have a screenshot?) you might rather travel there by the Death Mountain side because warping is faster, thus missing out on the cutscene. Meanwhile the desert is open for you, in fact it's been open ever since you had the bow, the horse, the longshot and the lens of truth if you found it early.

So while you're making very good points, they only make sense to someone who's already beat the game and looking at it in retrospect. If they somehow managed to access the Nocturne of Shadow cutscene before exploring the desert, it seems to me that they just luckily happened to be at the right place at the right time. Either that or I'm still missing something very obvious. How did you all do it?
1 person liked this post: Kuya
  #83 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-03-2012, 08:50 PM
LuminaForce37 LuminaForce37 is a male United States LuminaForce37 is offline
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 338

I pretty much always do it " Forest Temple, Fire Temple, Water Temple, Shadow Temple, Spirit Temple"
I thought this was the "official" order? I'm pretty sure that certain cut-scenes only trigger after certain events. I just did what felt natural. Forest, Fire, Water were the first three dungeons, so I made them my second three dungeons to keep that continuity. Doesn't Navi give hints to tell you where to go, and they correspond with the 'Forest Fire Water Shadow Spirit 'order?
  #84 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Ordinary Magician
View Posts: 629

I'm pretty sure it's not possible to do shadow temple anytime but last.
But my order is always Forest - Spirit - Water - Fire - Shadow,
only because I like to have the Mirror shield with me, as well as the Biggoron sword and Nayru's love. Water is third so I can get fire arrows, forest is first so I can go back as a kid and get the lense of truth and do that one part of the spirit temple.

I don't think I've ever played the normal route in OOT before though, always like this. I also skip around in Majora's Mask for the sole purpose of getting things like the Mirror shield early.
  #85 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2012, 02:22 AM

View Posts: 10,444

I have always completed them in the classic order:

- Forest Temple
- Fire Temple
- Water Temple
- Shadow Temple
- Spirit Temple

This is the order that Sheik first mentions them ("One in a deep forest...one on a high mountain...one under a vast lake...one within the house of the dead...one inside a goddess of the sand...") and it's also the order recommended by official guides. I never really paid that much attention to the medallion and song order on the interface. One of these days I'll switch it up and try a different order though.

I do, however, like to do the Ice Cavern early on, so that I can get blue fire and thus earn the Biggoron sword before venturing into the Forest Temple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmgjr
Sure it is - after all, there's nothing in the Spirit Temple that's needed for completion of the Shadow Temple. And you can learn the Nocturne of Shadow immediately after finishing the Water Temple.
Last Edited by Astarael; 01-04-2012 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #86 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Therein, they're in there in their inn.
Steam ID: cereal_bawks Wii U ID: Cereal_Bawks 3DS ID: 0989-1785-1204

View Posts: 8,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traeh View Post
You're talking about Song of Storms, not Nocturne of Shadow. The Lens of Truth is accessible pretty early actually, as soon as you've acquired the Forest medallion. You might want to investigate the well before anyone tells you to go there.
I was talking about the Nocturne of Shadow. Once you go to Kakariko Village after the Water Temple, a cutscene occurs, and Sheik teaches you the NoS.

And yes, you can go to the well early on, but how are you suppose to know that the first time around? You only know when to do that after you beat the Water Temple. So I'm pretty sure it's suppose to be Shadow Temple > Spirit Temple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmgjr View Post
That's funny, because I've been doing the Shadow Temple second-to-last for.... about 10 years now.
Last Edited by Kuya; 01-04-2012 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Hero of Dime
  #87 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Bawks View Post
I was talking about the Nocturne of Shadow. Once you go to Kakariko Village after the Water Temple, a cutscene occurs, and Sheik teaches you the NoS.

And yes, you can go to the well early on, but how are you suppose to know that the first time around? You only know when to do that after you beat the Water Temple. So I'm pretty sure it's suppose to be Shadow Temple > Spirit Temple.
When you're going to Kakariko looking for the hookshot you might notice on your way that the well doesn't have any water in it anymore and you might be curious about that. Sure it can be overlooked, but when you're in the windmill you can't help noticing there's something wrong with the guy inside. If you talk to him and figure out how to make him teach you the Song of Storms and where to use it (the game isn't very cryptic about either) you're set to go and if that particular side adventure really fascinates you you might want to finish your business there as soon as you can.

Quote:
And you can't get the Eye of Truth without learning the Nocturne of Shadow. And you can't learn the Requiem of Spirit before learning the Nocturne of Shadow.
Misinformation.
  #88 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2012, 12:00 PM
The World is Yours!!!
Send a message via Skype™ to Jimbob

View Posts: 5,042

I learn something new everyday. If i ever decide to play Ocarina again, i'll consider completing the Kakariko Well as soon as i can return to Child Link.

Facebook : Twitter
Formally known as Jimez
  #89 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2012, 02:01 PM
cloneofshadow cloneofshadow is a male United States cloneofshadow is offline
*Placeholder Title*
Send a message via Skype™ to cloneofshadow
View Posts: 1,313

Spirit -> Forest -> Fire -> water -> Deku Tree -> Dodongo's Cavern ->Jabu Jabu -> Shadow Temple
1 person liked this post: Balthier Bunansa
  #90 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
When you're going to Kakariko looking for the hookshot you might notice on your way that the well doesn't have any water in it anymore and you might be curious about that. Sure it can be overlooked, but when you're in the windmill you can't help noticing there's something wrong with the guy inside. If you talk to him and figure out how to make him teach you the Song of Storms and where to use it (the game isn't very cryptic about either) you're set to go and if that particular side adventure really fascinates you you might want to finish your business there as soon as you can.
You would most likely miss it. You're only informed about it after you beat the Water Temple. It was meant to be Shadow Temple > Spirit Temple.

Quote:
Misinformation.
As I have said before, you would know that you can learn it before the Nocturne of Shadow if you have beaten the game before. There's a small chance that someone would learn the Requiem of Spirit first on their first playthrough.
  #91 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Ningan the Lone Ninja Ningan the Lone Ninja is a male United Kingdom Ningan the Lone Ninja is offline
Sheikah
View Posts: 5,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloneofshadow View Post
Spirit -> Forest -> Fire -> water -> Deku Tree -> Dodongo's Cavern ->Jabu Jabu -> Shadow Temple
Lolasif.
  #92 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2012, 04:42 PM
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Send a message via Skype™ to SammieJeanne
View Posts: 407

I go: Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, Spirit

I find that's the more natural order to do the temples in. Even if the medallions and the songs have the Shadow before Spirit. I just find that going from the Shadow Temple to the Spirit Temple has a more natural flow to the game and story line.

Also, I prefer to get the damn Shadow Temple out of my way as soon as I can.
  #93 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Ordinary Magician
View Posts: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarael View Post
I have always completed them in the classic order:

- Forest Temple
- Fire Temple
- Water Temple
- Shadow Temple
- Spirit Temple

This is the order that Sheik first mentions them ("One in a deep forest...one on a high mountain...one under a vast lake...one within the house of the dead...one inside a goddess of the sand...") and it's also the order recommended by official guides. I never really paid that much attention to the medallion and song order on the interface. One of these days I'll switch it up and try a different order though.

I do, however, like to do the Ice Cavern early on, so that I can get blue fire and thus earn the Biggoron sword before venturing into the Forest Temple.

Sure it is - after all, there's nothing in the Spirit Temple that's needed for completion of the Shadow Temple. And you can learn the Nocturne of Shadow immediately after finishing the Water Temple.
I just finished the water recently, so howcome sheik doesn't teach me the damn song when I go to Kakariko village until I beat the Spirit Temple?
  #94 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
You would most likely miss it. You're only informed about it after you beat the Water Temple. It was meant to be Shadow Temple > Spirit Temple.
You'd think it's even more likely to miss the Nocturne of Shadow cutscene until there's nothing else left to do. Everything would be so much simpler if you could trigger the cutscene from Death Mountain's direction as well. If you happened to be around there when Navi gives you directions, you would go downhill to Kakariko to find out that nothing happens there. Then you can choose to either walk around the village in circles or go see what's there in the desert, assuming you can do that before you magically figure out you're supposed to take the other exit and walk back into the village.

Quote:
As I have said before, you would know that you can learn it before the Nocturne of Shadow if you have beaten the game before. There's a small chance that someone would learn the Requiem of Spirit first on their first playthrough.
The way you were saying that you can't learn the song or get the item made it sound like it wouldn't be possible to do it that way at all. Is there really a small chance that you're anxious to see what's there beyond the canyon before the game wants you to go there? Especially considering they didn't even let you go there as a child. I can't seriously be the only one?

Quote:
I just finished the water recently, so howcome sheik doesn't teach me the damn song when I go to Kakariko village until I beat the Spirit Temple?
You need to enter the village from Hyrule field, it only works that way for some reason. Shadow Temple can be either fourth or fifth temple in line, if it's fourth then only Spirit Temple can be fifth.
Last Edited by Traeh; 01-04-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #95 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
The way you were saying that you can't learn the song or get the item made it sound like it wouldn't be possible to do it that way at all. Is there really a small chance that you're anxious to see what's there beyond the canyon before the game wants you to go there? Especially considering they didn't even let you go there as a child. I can't seriously be the only one?
What? I didn't say there was a small chance that someone would go to Gerudo Valley first. I only said there was a small chance that someone would know that you should go down the well before the Water Temple, unless you have already beaten the game.

But anyway, I'm still pretty sure that the Spirit Temple was intended to be the last temple.
Last Edited by Kuya; 01-05-2012 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #96 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-05-2012, 04:38 AM
Anouki
View Posts: 58

i think they just messed the medallions to have Shadow next to Light
  #97 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-05-2012, 05:14 AM
I'm not giving him cake! I'm assaulting him with cake!
Steam ID: ND88ct
View Posts: 179

I've always played it as follows:
Forest
Fire
Water
Shadow
Spirit

That's just the way I played through it the first time and I guess after that I always did they same, although next time I play it I might switch up the order a bit
  #98 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 AM
gone with the ghost train
View Posts: 4,946

Quote:
You need to also finish Forest and Fire too, if you didn't. And as someone else mentioned, entering from Hyrule Field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
Lolasif.
Doable with glitches. It's not easy to pull off, so he could be joking.
Last Edited by Eriks0n; 01-05-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #99 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-05-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
What? I didn't say there was a small chance that someone would go to Gerudo Valley first. I only said there was a small chance that someone would know that you should go down the well before the Water Temple, unless you have already beaten the game.

But anyway, I'm still pretty sure that the Spirit Temple was intended to be the last temple.
I meant that if you go to Gerudo Valley you might end up learning Requiem of Spirit, possibly even beating the Spirit Temple before you figure out what you need to do in Kakariko. When you go there for the well there's a good chance you're taking the wrong entrance and won't learn the song during the same trip there. This is assuming you didn't figure out the well entrance sooner, about which you might be right that many people probably didn't. But the well is just so suspicious, fascinating and relatively easy to get into I'm pretty sure there are many others who manage to get it done before you have to. That coupled with the cutscene confusion makes the chance of learning Requiem of Spirit before Nocturne of Shadow a lot higher than small. The other way around just sounds too lucky, whether or not it's intended like that.
Last Edited by Traeh; 01-05-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #100 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-05-2012, 11:35 AM
gone with the ghost train
View Posts: 4,946

Quote:
I meant that if you go to Gerudo Valley you might end up learning Requiem of Spirit, possibly even beating the Spirit Temple before you figure out what you need to do in Kakariko.
There's the broken bridge and the captured carpenters to deal with. I didn't know Epona can jump over it, so in my first playthrough I used the Longshot. Even if after you dealt with all that, you'll need the Lens of Truth to trek across the Haunted Wasteland. I got the Kakariko cutscene to get the song to the Shadow Temple before I got the Lens of Truth, so I did Shadow before Spirit. So I guess it can depend on when we get the lens, for the most part.