Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Addicted to Nutella
View Posts: 204
Re: Playing Majora's Mask the first time is the most magical experience ever?

I know what you mean. I am experiencing that magic again after ten years! I have played Majora's Mask many times after beating it when I was 11, but never long enough to get past Woodfall Temple. Now everything seems new to me again, and it seems a lot creepier & INTENSE now that I can sympathize with everyone in Termina about the moon falling and end of days. Makes me feel like the world is depending on me. D;
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Mogma
View Posts: 183

sadly I did not. Great game but what you are describing only came for OoT and ALttP.

Proudly being adopted by Haagar212. am I still?

1 person liked this post: pawptart
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Cornelius Fudge Cornelius Fudge is a male United States Cornelius Fudge is offline
Nine Tailed Jinchuuriki
View Posts: 3,237

It seems that Ocarina of Time is magical to veteran fans and Majora's Mask is magical to newcomers.
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-22-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm going to find out if I'm really alive
Steam ID: pawptart
View Posts: 2,516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link9001 View Post
It seems that Ocarina of Time is magical to veteran fans and Majora's Mask is magical to newcomers.
And if you're older than 25 ALttP is the best one.
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 62

ALttP had its moments, just like OoT and MM. Nostalgia is a factor for me, but there are also lines like this:

...We're locked in.

Kafei: I'm sorry you got caught up in all this. If you can get out, then do it. Anju is already fleeing to Cremia's ranch. You did great. She'll...understand.

Tatl: C'mon, let's go. Play your ocarina and get us outside. Let him be alone.

Even at eleven, I understood enough of loss to know how heartwrenching that was, and it has followed me through every playthrough of the game since. MM has been my favorite game since it came out, and with 13 years of Zelda love-age underneath my belt, over half mind you, I'm not a newcomer. It's weird, I don't know if it's just this forum or what, but I have no friends in real life that enjoy it, but ZU seems to be inundated with MM fans. If I just absolutely had to order them or die, ALttP would be second, and OoT third, followed by Oracle of Ages. It's just hard because I like them all about equally, after MM of course.

Ironically, what I remember most about playing it for the first time was the Garo boss battle in the Stone Tower Temple. It was the first Zelda Boss I ever beat on my own and it gave me confidence to start the game over and beat it for real.

I think I liked the Goht battle the best back then, and would spend many Terminian days just swimming in the Bay with Zora Link. I'd do a temple and then just goof off the rest of the days.
I remember loving the rooms in the Ocean spider house. That was a really fun collectathon to me back then.
1 person liked this post: Boy
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Goron
View Posts: 248

The first time I played was actually a rental from Blockbuster. I made it up to Snowhead Temple when I had to return it. I eventually finished the game when I got my hands on a ROM and played it through an emulator. It was difficult getting used to a keyboard and very clumsy to aim (having to constantly adjust the sensitivity up and down to aim effectively) but I spent weeks playing through the game trying to get 100%. To this day it remains my favorite Zelda game and one of my favorite Nintendo games only being topped by games that excel in other aspects such as Super Smash Brothers and Animal Crossing. OoT was a close second. Both were games that were easy to play and didn't have any parts that required excessive work/skill to complete save 100% completion tasks (Goron moon dungeon anyone?)

...Polamolecules"
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Hylian Scholar
Steam ID: TheOriginalPlatypus
View Posts: 173

Massive Reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrynian Rebel View Post
When I was little I made a lego version of Clock Town. I had a Clock Tower with moving gears, a Stock Pot Inn and a Milk Bar. Majora's Mask was pretty much my childhood
I used to draw clock town as a kid and I would always draw maps connecting hyrule and termina. I always felt that termina was west of hyrule. xD I ended up creating a whole zelda universe earth. I ended up starting to make the maps I made in minecraft... However the project got put on hold because I was moving and I had to put my maps away with my parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoGuy7 View Post
Oh man it was magical! I thought I could go back to Hyrule too!
I had no idea it was in Termina.
I thought it was just in the lost woods and I would end back up in Hyrule.
Needless to say I was NOT disappointed
Yeah! I remember being so fascinated with how link got there I had to know if it was possible. I ended up playing Ocarina of time and going through all the exits in lost woods as an adult and of course it never worked but as a kid I had an over active imagination. It was so much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio Auditore da Firenze View Post
I pretty much hated MM on my first playthrough.

Hell, I didn't even finish it until last year.

It was a good game though. The sidequests are what kept me interested in it since I kept getting stuck on the temples.
Awweh man that sucks, you know... I will share what game I didn't like out of the zelda series. Oracle of Seasons. It was because my B button was broken and I didn't know it. You know the part with moosh and you have to fly across those pits... With the B button not working properly I couldn't go further. So I sold the game later on because I could never beat it no matter how many times I tried.

Last year I just bought the game on eBay and beat it! It was so worth it! Not the best zelda game however It brought back memories and created new ones. I need to beat ages... Its taking me awhile since I haven't touched it. Also doing the password adventure. Its keeping me hooked until my life got too busy to play it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmgjr View Post
I remember when I first got the fierce deity mask and fought Majora on the moon in another world I thought I had dreamed the entire thing. Then much later I played the game again and realized it wasn't a dream and the Fierce Deity and Majora were real. It was amazing.

And yea, that feeling like everything is "Real" is what got me to discover a ton of glitches because I would always try to go out of bounds and do things I wasn't supposed to in the game out of curiosity.
Ah man I know that feeling of dreaming the whole thing. I remember as a kid dreaming about the map of termina and when I opened the instruction manual and saw the map I was like whoa! I remember seeing something like this in a dream I had a long time ago. It took me forever to get the fierce deity mask.

My favourite glitch today is the horse glitch, only because in Nintendo Power they wrote how to do it. xD I forget what issue it was and if someone knows please tell me so I can find it or download it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew View Post
I was so baffled. And raffled. Waffled. Now I'm just making words up.

I remember taking my first steps in the Clock Tower. I think I stayed in that place for several minutes only because of the soothing mystical sounds.

I could write on forever about this game, so I wont. Because it's late and I need to go to bed.

But when I indeed will tell my story: expect a lot of feelings. Yeah, I just kinda quoted Mean Girls.
Stepping into clock town is probably the most memorable part of that game even though you don't spend a lot of time during the main quest in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantean View Post
Playing Majora's Mask for the first time wasn't very magical for me because I was only borrowing it from a friend and had to give it back. I didn't get very far at all.
Awwweh man. That sucks. I had that for phantom hourglass. I borrowed it from a friend and beat it in a night... Well a little different but I feel like I should have spent more time with it. It was the same for spirit tracks I think... Nintendo didn't make the DS titles very challenging... Even the stupid ocean king temple wasn't that hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullKid94 View Post
The very first time I played Majora's Mask, I didn't really like it. I didn't like being a deku scrub and I had no idea how to save! I got to the part where I got the magic meter and just turned it off and went back to playing Ocarina of Time. About a month later I was bored so i figured I'd try it out again and see if i could actually start playing as normal Link. I finally got the hang of it and made it passed the part I was stuck on. I must have played that game all day, I just couldn't stop playing. Now Majora's Mask is one of my favorite Zelda games.
Haha yeah I remember feeling like that! As a kid, I disliked the Deku scrub form and the save thing confused me I kept trying to press start and B to decide or whatever it was and save my game... The magic meter... Was weird because when you get your sword back you expected that you'd charge your sword up and get the yellow charge however it was only blue.

You know, I think people who stop playing the game because of frustration at one point doesn't mean it was a bad game.. It just means you come back to it later and you'll make it past and when you do it usually is rewarding unless its a old NES game like Halloween.... search AVGN Halloween if you have never seen it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrynian Rebel View Post
I remember I kept running around and exploring inside the Clock Tower trying to find stuff and/or go back to Hyrule.
I hope by some miracle in the future they make a game where you can travel between both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Isaac View Post
My first experience? Well, my brothers and I went to the store with my father when I was four years old and I thought we were getting Paper Mario, but they surprised me with Majora's Mask. We got home, put it in... and it required the Expansion Pack. LOL owned. ... I never did beat Majora's Mask until last year. It took me a couple years, but that's because in a matter of three days, I beat the first three dungeons, got all of the stray fairies from them, and gave up because I somehow couldn't even understand a walkthrough of the well. I hated that well, but then one day I gave it another go, and beat the game.
Quote:
they surprised me with Majora's Mask. We got home, put it in... and it required the Expansion Pack. LOL owned.
LOL xD I am so glad my dad bought mine at the same time with majora's mask. I wish I got to try a game when I was 4. Not too many people had them when I was that age.

I didn't 100% the game until a couple years ago. I beat the game at 10. I remember it. You know what, I never knew for the longest time that you had to CALL THE GIANTS! $#@#@ I always would hit A to skip everything cause I wanted to solve puzzles and save the day. I could never for the life of me as a kid get all the stray fairies. The well... I used to think that's where the great fairy was to get the sword. I remember actually heading in there to get it and finding out its only a recovery heart fountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frau Florina View Post
Once i realized what really was going on with the game, i was all "wut the.....holy crap...." The Groundhog Day comparisons ran rampant. Note i was like 19 when the game came out. I found the game very strange indeed but not in a bad way. After really getting the hang of some of the more...awkward game mechanics (like the time thing and changing the flow and the save system), i ended up really having a good time with it. Its odd that one doesnt realize how dark it is the first time through. It wasnt until subsequent playthroughs did i go "whoa!" with the content of the game. It was a ballsy move for Zelda and i liked it!
I totally agree with you dude! This game steps out of the conventional ocarina of time that players were used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem for a Deku View Post
... Let me say Majora's Mask is just amazing because of the connection of emotions with characters, the mysterious & dark feeling of the world entering an apocalypse, the music, the environments, the masks (Deku Link. <3), the main villain, the credits (which made me feel absolutely accomplished looking back at everything I had done in the game)... just everything about this game makes it so wonderful.

Playing Majora's Mask, whether it be the first time, the second time, or so forth, will always give the player a magical experience, and never want the game to end. I love Majora's Mask, my all-time favorite Zelda game, heck probably my all-time favorite game. <3
You pretty much summed up all the thoughts I had about this game! I totally agree! One of my favourite Zelda game as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikah girl View Post
when I first got majora's mask I was amazed about how different it was from other Zelda games and instantly fell in love with it i'm currently playing through it again ^-^
I am happy you are playing through it again! I am as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotti600 View Post
I know what you mean. I am experiencing that magic again after ten years! I have played Majora's Mask many times after beating it when I was 11, but never long enough to get past Woodfall Temple. Now everything seems new to me again, and it seems a lot creepier & INTENSE now that I can sympathize with everyone in Termina about the moon falling and end of days. Makes me feel like the world is depending on me. D;
You are the hero of the game! Haha my favourite place has to be Ikana Castle for its music! When I heard that theme I was like ! WHOA! WHAT?! I LOVE THIS SONG! Its like the best song that I've heard. I wish the main dungeon was that castle... And the castle was a little bigger. I hope if they make a remake they make it bigger. In a sense if they remade it... I wouldn't mind them expanding it keep the map close to what it is add a little more that they couldn't in the original.

I am currently listening to it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda2777 View Post
sadly I did not. Great game but what you are describing only came for OoT and ALttP.
Ah well all great games have there strong points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link9001 View Post
Eh, I think its for anyone really. I came from Ocarina of Time, I played a little bit of Lttp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut Man View Post
And if you're older than 25 ALttP is the best one.
I agree! For the time it came out I'm sure those fans got a good taste of it! One day I'm going to find a group of friends and play it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Shade View Post
ALttP had its moments, just like OoT and MM. Nostalgia is a factor for me, but there are also lines like this: We're locked in. Kafei: I'm sorry you got caught up in all this. If you can get out, then do it. Anju is already fleeing to Cremia's ranch. You did great. She'll...understand. Tatl: C'mon, let's go. Play your ocarina and get us outside. Let him be alone... I think I liked the Goht battle the best back then, and would spend many Terminian days just swimming in the Bay with Zora Link. I'd do a temple and then just goof off the rest of the days. I remember loving the rooms in the Ocean spider house. That was a really fun collectathon to me back then.
Awe man, I wish there was a way to like recreate that nostalgic feeling. Like I wish there was a minecraft version of termina and it had all the NPC's and somehow someone made a mod to make it just like the game. xD However you can have like your friends help you along the way. I always wished for a multiplayer function of Zelda and make it online. I think it would be cool if you had 4 players and you all did different things during the 3 Days. Like someone did the dungeon, someone did some heart pieces, someone did the Anju and Kafei quest and the last person kind of is helping who ever or make it so the dungeon requires co-op effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
The first time I played was actually a rental from Blockbuster. I made it up to Snowhead Temple when I had to return it. ... (Goron moon dungeon anyone?)
You made it to Snowhead? Is that a 7 day rental? How did you do it? Or did you rent it a few times? Goron moon dungeon was almost impossible... With practice I was able to do it like a pro. I wish they had used those puzzles in the main dungeons. In a way I feel like they just put that dungeon feature at the end to show off what they could have done... But didn't. Also they did that sort of thing in Oot with Ganons tower. lol

Donee!
Last Edited by Doctor Who; 10-24-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Shortening some of the quotes. lol Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-24-2011, 05:59 AM
Goron
View Posts: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyewatson View Post
You made it to Snowhead? Is that a 7 day rental? How did you do it? Or did you rent it a few times? Goron moon dungeon was almost impossible... With practice I was able to do it like a pro. I wish they had used those puzzles in the main dungeons. In a way I feel like they just put that dungeon feature at the end to show off what they could have done... But didn't. Also they did that sort of thing in Oot with Ganons tower. lol
Yeah it was a 7-day rental Well the first temple wasn't all too difficult IMO. Relatively straightforward and the boss wasn't too difficult. Also when I say that I made it to snowhead, I mean I only made it to snowhead XD I never set foot in the temple Just to the point where you can see the path leading to the entrance. It was only later that I learned that damn goron lullaby and got to beat it.

...Polamolecules"
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Hylian Scholar
Steam ID: TheOriginalPlatypus
View Posts: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
Yeah it was a 7-day rental Well the first temple wasn't all too difficult IMO. Relatively straightforward and the boss wasn't too difficult. Also when I say that I made it to snowhead, I mean I only made it to snowhead XD I never set foot in the temple Just to the point where you can see the path leading to the entrance. It was only later that I learned that damn goron lullaby and got to beat it.
Haha wow, well I guess when I was a kid... I never really bothered to read what any of the NPC's were saying. xD I didn't make it to snow head for a few months. First I was stuck in clock town then I was stuck in southern swamp.

Haha well I guess that 7-day rental thing made a good memory for you! haha (:
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Cornelius Fudge Cornelius Fudge is a male United States Cornelius Fudge is offline
Nine Tailed Jinchuuriki
View Posts: 3,237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyewatson View Post
Haha wow, well I guess when I was a kid... I never really bothered to read what any of the NPC's were saying. xD I didn't make it to snow head for a few months. First I was stuck in clock town then I was stuck in southern swamp.

Haha well I guess that 7-day rental thing made a good memory for you! haha (:
Lol, I was actually exploring and it took me a week and a half to actually reach Snowhead Temple. It was pretty hard and took me 5 days (including the stray fairies) to complete it.
Last Edited by Cornelius Fudge; 10-28-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Mogma
View Posts: 170

Majora's Mask was definitely magical. First of all I loved how different it was from the other Zelda-games when it came to Story and the three day-cycle. But what was wonderful was also how they reused so many characters and the music from Ocarina of Time. It felt wonderful seeing the characters again. I kind of which they would do something like that again but it would just seem weird nowadays. It would be considered more cheap.

Also, the freaking flips Link did in Majora's Mask, and how you jumped a lot further if you rolled before jumping of a cliff, bring it baaack!
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Malarkey
View Posts: 50

Majora's Mask was definitely something else to me. It was the very first video game that I actually followed in magazines and online when I first heard about it. It was always so cool to see new screens of the game. Seeing how trippy Clock Town looked, seeing Link as a Zora, Deku Scrub, etc.

When I finally got my mitts on the game, I would lock myself in my room after school for about a week, and would just go ape-♥♥♥♥ with it. On my first play through, I got squashed by the moon. Kinda freaked me out a bit, but I ended up buying a guide, and was able to get everything completed. I felt so proud. lol

This game really, REALLY sucked me in. Definitely one of my favorite video game experiences, next to playing Super Mario 64 for the first time.

The only sucky thing is that every time I replay MM, I never really feel that same experience. I guess it's like what they say with getting high, you never really feel that "First high" again, and you keep trying to feel it again?

I'm chasing that damn Dragon with this game! Makes me wonder how it'll be if they ever do make a MM remake for the 3DS.
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-16-2011, 12:09 AM
Gerudo Thief
Send a message via AIM to Miss_Kitty Send a message via Yahoo to Miss_Kitty
View Posts: 157

Not if you played Ocarina of Time first and built high expectations on reviews saying it was the automatic sequel to Ocarina of Time

It definitely took it's magical affect on me a few months later and I accepted the complete difference of what I thought it to be.

I can't imagine playing it before Ocarina of Time, almost like blasphemy.
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-16-2011, 01:25 AM
The moon is a Death Star!
3DS ID: zeldaisacoolguy
View Posts: 1,184

I'm in the camp with the posters who enjoyed it a lot more the second time they picked it up. Because I threw it down not far in. If memory serves correctly, I finished the first dungeon, then sorta gave up for several years.

Honestly, I was completely unaware of the moon for most of the first part of the game. I was just following the immediate sequence involving Skull Kid and the Bomber kids, assuming the path would eventually lead to the first dungeon. Again, if memory prevails, I only noticed the moon when we finally met Skull Kid on the Clock Tower! haha.

Years later, on the Virtual Console version actually, I came to really appreciate Termina. You have to play Majora's Mask differently than other Zelda games to really enjoy it. It seems counter-intuitive and flat out irresponsible to go check in on Anju and Cremia when you're trying to prevent the moon from crashing into the earth, but much of the game's best content requires you to do it. When I was younger, fighting the bad guys and saving the world took precedence over silly mini-games and sidequests, but I guess I'm not opposed to stopping and smelling the flowers at this point.
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-16-2011, 01:44 AM
Kokiri
View Posts: 64

The first time I played Majora's Mask, I was intrigued by how it was a variation of Ocarina of Time.

...But then I got stuck while in Deku form and stopped playing.

I eventually sat down and played it years later to discover that it had absolutely genius dungeon designs, awesome transformations, sidequests that actually meant something, and an all-around chilling tone. Apocalyptic Groundhog Day could not have been pulled off better.
  #56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-16-2011, 05:31 AM
Sugar-Serpent Sugar-Serpent is a female England Sugar-Serpent is offline
Mogma
View Posts: 162

The 3-day cycle puts me off wanting to play Majora's Mask, tbh.
Last Edited by Sugar-Serpent; 11-16-2011 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-16-2011, 07:28 AM
GameWarrior23 GameWarrior23 is a male United States GameWarrior23 is offline
Knight of Equestria
View Posts: 15

You might say that im somewhat of a newbie to majora's mask but i started playing it this year and i finished it. Played it on a Rom after i finish Oot and even though i wasn't much of a zelda fan before majora's mask was one of the games that took me a while to finish but i freaking loved it. if it wasnt for Oot and Majora's Mask i wouldnt even be a Zelda fan.

Fav Pokemon
Flareon and Mightyena

Also a Big Sonic Fan (More or Less)
  #58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Twili
View Posts: 456

Majora's Mask is one of my favorites. I didn't mind that there were fewer dungeons, and once you got the weapon in the dungeon it practically felt like there were 2 dungeons in one!

The time system was amazing, and to this day it's still amazing. Majora was a good villain, even if it was simple in plot, but even Ganon didn't want to just destroy the entire world, JUST FOR FUN nonetheless.

The masks are pretty good too, and all the characters were great. I still have this game lying around somewhere. It would be nice to play it again!
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Balthier Bunansa Balthier Bunansa is a female British Antarctic Territory Balthier Bunansa is offline
Half as cool, but twice as badass
Steam ID: Elegance does not stoop.
View Posts: 2,281

MM is my favorite Zelda game.

Before, I heard that MM was a rushed, intense, short game with painful waiting and a dreadful story.

Dang was I wrong.

Instead I was thrown into a chaotic, dark world whose fate was sealed. The cheesy and kiddish elements were thrown into black light and dark humor. Everything made me want to cringe, to run, to escape with my life.

You can be as 'classic' as you want, but MM was the first game to tell me not to **** around.
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRawEngine89 View Post
Nah. Nothing compared to taking the first step into Hyrule Field.
^

The only thing that rivaled this for me was my first few months (yes, months) playing Morrowind. Oh, and the first 5 months or so of Star Wars Galaxies way back when. And Vice City... I'll stop now. I think that's it, anyway.

Tags
discussion, first time playing, majora's mask, memories, nostalgia