Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2011, 01:15 PM
medusaspath medusaspath is a female United States medusaspath is offline
paran0id andr0id - the lotos eater
View Posts: 119
A piece I wrote exalting Majora's Mask.

I'm not really sure how this even happened, but one moment I was writing a few sentences on how I thought it was awesome that according to Gamefaq fans, Majora's Mask is the best game of the decade, the next moment, I'm writing like, my magnum opus on Majora's Mask.

So if you like Majora's Mask and want to join in the glory with me, or hate Majora's Mask and want to yell at me for being a tasteless moron, or are indifferent and merely bored enough to read a stranger's ramblings, you can go ahead and read it.

I will probably be editing this a lot because I am super anal with my work. I normally don't post things before they are edited but I was excited about this because it's Zelda and I love Zelda.

Also, if there are any factual errors in it, let me know. It's been a couple of years since I've played Majora's Mask, which isn't that long, but I may have messed up a thing or two.

Majora's Mask - Game of the Decade. My thoughts. - via tumblr

If that is too small, you can check it out here: Majora's Mask - Game of the Decade. My thoughts. - via 1up
There are two kinds of visual memory: one when you skillfully recreate an image in the laboratory of your mind, with your eyes open (and then I see Annabel in such general terms as: “honey-colored skin,” “thin arms,” “brown bobbed hair,” “long lashes,” “big bright mouth”); and the other when you instantly evoke, with shut eyes, on the dark innerside of your eyelids, the objective, absolutely optical replica of a beloved face, a little ghost in natural colors (and this is how I see Lolita).
Last Edited by medusaspath; 04-29-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: Cornelius Fudge, Justin, Olympion
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Twili
View Posts: 433
Re: A piece I wrote exalting Majora's Mask.

That was a really great read, so well written and really capturing some of the essence of Majora's Mask. One small correction though, you don't have to go back in time to save the game, you can also use the Owl Statues to quick save. When you continue the game that save is wiped out though, so it is somewhat more risky than the Song of Time method, but it's a very helpful feature nonetheless.

Anyway, awesome article!
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Battle routine, set! Execute!
View Posts: 4,647

That was a very beautiful read. Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game, and my favorite videogame, and includes one of my favorite stories ever told. It influenced me quite a bit during one of the most hectic transitioning periods of my life. My appreciation for the game further skyrocketed by reading Hylian Dan's articles. I realized that I agreed with it all. Majora's Masks messages about the importance of faith and courage are things I can see clearly now.

On a seperate note, It makes me feel very good to think about how even people just writing about this game can influence people like me. How articles and essays on a fansite can sink deeply into someone's heart and someone can carry messages with them for a long time.

Kudos to anyone who enjoys to write.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2011, 08:32 PM
medusaspath medusaspath is a female United States medusaspath is offline
paran0id andr0id - the lotos eater
View Posts: 119

Thanks for the responses and kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed it... It makes me happy to hear that I can articulate my passion well. Always room for improvement, but at least I'm on the right path.

Olympion - I totally forgot about the owl statues. Maybe I'll find some way to put that in... although regardless, the save system is still criticized, so perhaps it's not necessary. I'll see if I can find an eloquent way to stick it in. Thanks for reminding me.

Rose - I agree with you about how influential writing can be. I used to read a lot of fan articles on things I liked when I was younger, be it video games and books, and they impacted me a lot. I wanted to be able to convey my own passions like they did, but it always seemed such a daunting task. It's nice to know that I'm doing an okay job of it now though, heh.
There are two kinds of visual memory: one when you skillfully recreate an image in the laboratory of your mind, with your eyes open (and then I see Annabel in such general terms as: “honey-colored skin,” “thin arms,” “brown bobbed hair,” “long lashes,” “big bright mouth”); and the other when you instantly evoke, with shut eyes, on the dark innerside of your eyelids, the objective, absolutely optical replica of a beloved face, a little ghost in natural colors (and this is how I see Lolita).
Last Edited by medusaspath; 04-29-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Cornelius Fudge Cornelius Fudge is a male United States Cornelius Fudge is offline
Nine Tailed Jinchuuriki
View Posts: 3,177

Wow, nice read. I agreed with everything you said and I could definitely connect with you when you said you did the side quests not for the satisfaction of getting the masks, but because you actually felt like helping them and that was definitely a great aspect of Majora's Mask. You didn't just do it for a reward like you did in Ocarina of Time, you actually did it to help people. It's kind of said that most people don't realize what Majora's Mask did right.

Tags
essay, majora's mask, zelda