Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-23-2011, 10:22 AM
don't be mad cos i'm doing me better than you doing you

View Posts: 4,626
Buying Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks

Does anybody know where I can get PH and ST cheap (but new) in the UK? PH has only just recently dropped to 17.99 on Amazon and ST is still at 24.91. PH and ST weren't highly regarded by the Zelda community to say the least which is kind of why I don't want to pay as if they just came out. Come on, Nintendo, ST came out over a year and a half ago and it hasn't got any cheaper...

So are they really worth 17.99/24.91? And if they are, which should I buy first?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-23-2011, 10:42 AM
BigGoronSword BigGoronSword is a male Dominican Republic BigGoronSword is offline
RIP Robin Williams (8/11/14)
Send a message via AIM to BigGoronSword Send a message via Yahoo to BigGoronSword

View Posts: 11,251
Re: Buying Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks

Why does it have to be new? Just buy it used, that's always going to be the cheaper option. From my own experience, most used games are kept in good condition.

Amazon (as you've already mentioned) is an option, they occasionally do have sales. I don't know if it will be cheaper than what you're willing to shell out, but a sale is a sale. There is one thing I have to say about Amazon.com: Their holiday sales are excellent! If you have been patient enough to not purchase PH & ST (because of price or whatever reason) purchase it during the holiday season. Amazon.com has great sales during that time of the year (I'm talking about buy one get one free). So if you want to save that much more money, I'd say save what you have (for yourself), and keep it until the end of the year. Purchase gifts for your family, and then purchase PH and ST for yourself.

Well there is this place (which originated in the UK and then brought to the US, so maybe you've heard of it) called CeX. Yes the games and consoles are used, but they sell them at very reasonable prices. For PH you can buy it for 10.00, and ST for 18.00

You could take a gamble at GameStop (but usually their "new" games are just repackaged/refurbished old games and sell it to you as if they were new) or even at eBay.

But really, unless it's a gift, I don't see the point in purchasing an old game with a new price.

Which should you play first? Either, it doesn't matter. Are the games worth their price? I personally enjoyed them, so yes. But if you're concerned about wasting your money from what you've heard online about these two games then I say wait for the price to drop. Patience is a virtue.

-BGS

[ZeldaWiki][Forum Mods][Rules][ZUChat][Newbie Guide]
"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans"-Van Zant
Giving up means you're willing to live with how things are-BGS
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2011, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the advice, BGS! I'll probably buy PH some time this summer. I skipped the DS generation of handhelds so I've got a lot to catch up on (and also why I haven't played them yet). I'm getting kind of bored playing OoT3D all the time; I've almost finished MQ so I need something new.

It annoys me that you can buy ST brand new for less than a sixth of the price in Japan. It seems that Nintendo don't reduce their software prices until they really have to in the UK.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2011, 10:34 AM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
View Posts: 8,872

Skip PH. You'll be doing yourself a favor.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Minish Villager
View Posts: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhostOfMandrag View Post
Skip PH. You'll be doing yourself a favor.
You read my mind.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 78

I'm in the same boat. I completely missed the DS. I'm playing Spirit Tracks (used) and it's okay. I will warn you though, the controls are weird at first. You control Link with the stylus. You don't use the buttons at all (at least as far as I've gone). If you've played Animal Crossing for Wii with just the Wiimote, that's the most similar control mechanism I can think of to compare this to.

Just fair warning. I'm getting used to the controls, but I still think they are weird. I'm finding it most effective to spin attack everything in sight. :p
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Hero of Koridai
View Posts: 640

If you want an easy game that isn't as good as the other Zelda games but can still be fun if you don't compare them to the others, and just to cure your boredom, get Phantom Hourglass and THEN Spirit Tracks. Otherwise you can just skip PH and go to ST. But if you play Phantom Hourglass first you will appreciate Spirit Tracks more because of how much it improved on PH.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Banned User
View Posts: 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBeanKid View Post
Does anybody know where I can get PH and ST cheap (but new) in the UK? PH has only just recently dropped to 17.99 on Amazon and ST is still at 24.91. PH and ST weren't highly regarded by the Zelda community to say the least which is kind of why I don't want to pay as if they just came out. Come on, Nintendo, ST came out over a year and a half ago and it hasn't got any cheaper...

So are they really worth 17.99/24.91? And if they are, which should I buy first?
PH could be cheaper, but ST is worth that much. It's a great, fun game. And you can fight any boss over again as a sort of mini game. Get both though.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Disembodied Loaf Disembodied Loaf is a male United States Disembodied Loaf is offline
View Posts: 1,375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssabelle View Post
I'm in the same boat.
I'm also in the same boat regarding PH. (pun!)

I plan to buy both eventually. Probably after I beat LA.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 8

I've only played Spirit Tracks of those two, but I loved it! It was the first one I played, and I played it over and over again!
Definitely worth it!
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-31-2011, 04:38 AM
Sage of Wisdom
Steam ID: lol_oni
View Posts: 2,795

Skip both.

I found the CD-I games more entertaining. (For the wrong reasons though.)
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-31-2011, 04:45 AM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 7

They are good games but prob. the worst in the series I say play them
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Hear That Which I Desire Hear That Which I Desire is a male Hear That Which I Desire is offline
The Triforce
View Posts: 259

Agreed. PH is probably the worst overall, but ST is worth a shot. Still not as good as any of the others though, but not the worst.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-31-2011, 11:25 AM
Disembodied Loaf Disembodied Loaf is a male United States Disembodied Loaf is offline
View Posts: 1,375

Just bought both sealed for $50 total. Good, huh?

Edit: dang! I just realized half.com has ST for $15 instead of $25. I was even going to check them.

Edit 2: canceled amazon ST and purchased Half.com one.

So... $40 for both games! I think that's worth it. No matter how bad they appear to be.
Last Edited by Disembodied Loaf; 07-31-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-31-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disembodied Loaf View Post
Just bought both sealed for $50 total. Good, huh?

Edit: dang! I just realized half.com has ST for $15 instead of $25. I was even going to check them.

Edit 2: canceled amazon ST and purchased Half.com one.

So... $40 for both games! I think that's worth it. No matter how bad they appear to be.
If I'm lucky, the cheapest I can get the two together in the UK is the equivalent of $62