Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-23-2007, 10:42 AM
Dog Dog 123 Dog Dog 123 is a female United States Dog Dog 123 is offline
:(
Send a message via AIM to Dog Dog 123 Send a message via Skype™ to Dog Dog 123

View Posts: 8,559
Overlaying Images/Changing backgrounds with Solid Images (MSP + Word)

Yup, yet another random Paint tutorial. Stars – I don’t know. Figuring out how to do this without any help takes 5 stars, but actually doing the process by following this could be considered one star. So figure it out on your own.

Well, by now you’ve probably figured out that you can skip over the first few paragraphs in my tutorials, but that doesn’t matter. What’d I figure out how to use Paint to do today? I’ve figured out how to overlay images. Yes, overlaying images, something long thought to require Photoshop to do. Now here’s a way to do it using Paint and Word. And how did I figure this out? By trying to figure out how to make smooth edges of course. And as usual, one thing leads to another.

So, because I’m just now figuring this out, I’ve decided to be lazy and just lift all the layers out of a Paint file I just finished. Therefore you’ll have to pardon any messes.

Final Products - Overlay-ish or Solid Picture

OVERLAYING IMAGES

To start out, paste the image you wish to overlay into Paint. Crop out a section of the picture. Then, zoom in and go around the picture pixel by pixel. Cut along the edges as closely as you can without getting rid of any outlines. Then, use the Rectangle tool to draw a box around the picture. Paint it red. Or, if your picture has red around the edges, paint it blue. Then fix up any edges you missed.

^ Then it’ll look like this. The edges will look a little bit rough, but that’s alright for now.

Leave that picture in the corner of the canvas. Then, click and drag the corner of the canvas to make a workspace.

Paste in whatever picture the first image is being put overtop of. Now, crop out whatever you plan to use for a background. Get rid of whatever’s leftover from cropping out the picture. (In other words, get rid of whatever you don’t plan to use)

^ That’s the background I plan to use. Now you have your two pictures. Next up, a simple pattern.

How do we make patterns in Paint? We draw them of course! ^^ So, take the rectangle tool. Set it to the solid shape option. Then pick black as a color. Draw a big black box. Then, zoom in on the box. Now, make a very small checkerboard type of pattern.

^ When you finish, your pattern square should like this (except black and white instead of yellow and red). Of course, it’s just a pattern. Because it’s nothing more then a pattern, it doesn’t really matter. I was using those colors because my penguin had red around it instead of white, and I’m being lazy and not cleaning up the original canvas.

So now you have whatever color pattern, a background, and a badly rendered image. Now, take the Select tool. Click and drag around the first picture. Right click after having the entire picture you plan to use selected and then go down to Stretch/Skew. Now, we all know by now what happens when a picture is made bigger in Paint. It gets super pixilated. Of course, right now that’s a good thing. Now, select the other picture and do the same thing. Now you have the pattern at the original size and a double sized background and pathetic render.

(Looking back now, you can probably skip the next step entirely.)

Next, because I said so, zoom in on the new resized render and go along the edges taking away half a pixel at a time or so. Basically, make the edges a little bit more fluent.

^ Now you have that. Of course, you probably left the space behind it white, and that’s fine too. So now you have a slightly better bad render. Next, look at your still normal sized pattern. Is it big enough to completely cover the double sized render? If not, then copy and paste the pattern together so that it is big enough.

Now, copy and paste both the resized render and signature into the workspace. Never work on originals because Paint only undoes three steps in a row. In other words, if you don’t work on copies you’ll end up redoing the entire signature from one little mistake. That’s why it’s good to use layers and such in Paint.

So now Right click black (or whatever other color you have in your pattern) and then use the select tool to copy the pattern. Make sure select tool is set so that the secondary color is transperant. Now, paste the pattern overtop of the render. Next, right click white (assuming that that’s your other pattern color) and use the select tool to drag the render overtop of the background. If color number two from the pattern and the color behind the render weren’t the same, then it won’t work. So, if you have a white background and a yellow pattern, right click white first, drag it a few pixels, right click yellow, and then set it back down. Then right click white again and use the select tool to drag the double-sized and now hole-filled render overtop of the double-sized background. Pick a nice spot and leave it there.

^ Now you have that. Yes, it looks nothing close to overlay yet. The next step uses Microsoft Word. Why Word? Because I said so. So now you need to kill your eyes by being a perfectionist and using the select tool to pick up only the signature and no white background. In other words, line up the black lines in the cross tool thingy which is the select tool with the corner of the signature and click and drag. Then copy and paste it into word.

Now it’s in Word. Select the picture. If you don’t see an image editing toolbar, then left click the picture and go down to Show Picture Toolbar. Then, on the toolbar, click Format Picture. When that menu comes up, click the Size tab along the top. Then look down to where it says Scale and resize the picture to 50%.

^ Now it looks like that. By now you’re probably wondering “Why on Earth do I need to use Word to get it back to normal size?” The reason behind that is that doing it in Paint either makes the render disappear or be at full opacity. Therefore Word is needed to resize the picture.

So by now you should be able to see that it’s overlay. The next step most people would try to do is simply copy and paste the picture back into Paint. Of course, you’ll instantly notice that the colors are completely destroyed by doing that. Therefore, find the Print Screen key on the keyboard. Push that button and then paste into Paint. If you do it right it’ll give you a picture of Word with the picture in it.

So now you simply slide the images about using the select tool until the image is by itself.

So there you have it, a way to overlay images in Paint.

SMOOTH EDGES

Well, up there is how to overlay images. This is what you do if you still want a solid picture but wish to blend it into a background.

To start off, look about and follow all the steps to crop out the background and Image. Then render the image. Next, double size both the image and the background. Then re-render the image to make the edges smoother. Then use the select tool to drag the image overtop of the background. After this, take the picture into Word and resize it to 50%. Then use the Print Screen key to copy and paste the window into Paint. Basically, the get smooth edges when changing a background you follow all the steps of overlaying an image and simply cut out all parts about the pattern.

^ It’ll give you something like that if you keep the picture solid.

Well, there you have it. Yet another Photoshop style effect from MS Paint and Word. Now can anyone still honestly say that they think Paint sucks?

Comments? Questions? Criticism? Wow, this is the first tutorial I’ve typed up that doesn’t go into detail on absolutely everything…

EDIT: Gah, stupid me. I just realized, looking back, that it's not quite overlaying, but more of just changing the opacity. Oh well.
Last Edited by Dog Dog 123; 07-05-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-23-2007, 06:00 PM
In Nicki we trust.
View Posts: 6,796
Re: Overlaying Images/Changing backgrounds with Solid Images (MSP + Word)

Is there an easier way to do the checkboard? I keep trying but I find it tedious and hard. Or I'm doing bad? How do you exactly do it?
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Banned User
Send a message via Skype™ to Lysis
Steam ID: lysate 3DS ID: ❤❤❤❤ if I'm gonna write down this whole damn thing, PM me or something.
View Posts: 19,713

You could do some of the checkerboard, and then copy/paste it so that it doesn't take as long. Then save the checkerboard somewhere so you don't have to draw it again.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-26-2007, 02:46 AM
I have done nothing but teleport bread for three days!
Send a message via Skype™ to Keith
Steam ID: Rantick
View Posts: 7,172

Sweet tut.

here is a invisible block/checkerboard for all you lazy people!

Luka: slam a bottle of champagne into my arse first
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Dog Dog 123 Dog Dog 123 is a female United States Dog Dog 123 is offline
:(
Send a message via AIM to Dog Dog 123 Send a message via Skype™ to Dog Dog 123

View Posts: 8,559

*throws a shoe at Rantick* Apparently even with a version of the pattern in that post no one can understand it.

^ Checkerboard. Black pixel, white pixel, black pixel, white pixel. Is that really so hard to do?

^ When you zoom in the pattern should look like that.

Or, using the pattern Rantick just posted can get the effect of setting the opacity of a layer to either 75% or 25% opacity. See, everything in this tutorial has to do with math and logic. If you color half of a pixel blue and half of a pixel yellow, you'll get a color that's halfway between yellow and blue. Following that logic you can get the same effects with different amount of pixels being from each picture.

Right... This is still a fairly new concept. The tutorial for it probably isn't perfect...
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 PM
March 31st, 2♥11
Send a message via AIM to Glux Send a message via Skype™ to Glux
View Posts: 17,522

Whoa, LoL, when the example shows up on my screen I can see the pixels flickering.

Let's Play Pokémon Colosseum

Tags
backgrounds, images, images or changing, msp, overlaying, solid, word