Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-22-2007, 08:32 PM
In Nicki we trust.
View Posts: 6,796
Re: Dog Dog 123's Homeroom

Here's my first try.

It took me a long.
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-22-2007, 08:45 PM
You can run, but you can't hide...
View Posts: 2,878

I'm done, but it kind of sucks

Sig by Jackyjuju - Vivi Wilder
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-22-2007, 09:14 PM
In Nicki we trust.

I know this was done with the same technique as the other.

Here's another one:
Last Edited by Conde; 03-22-2007 at 09:32 PM. Reason:
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Skyloftian
View Posts: 698

I tried to do a creative border. I have an idea on a border but im not sure how to do it. Anyways heres this one.

*Edit* Shoot..Just noticed the border is uneven.

*Edit* I guess i'll post what I do for now here.

I tried to do a cool border with this one. Didn't turn out so great.

Even though it's not my best, it's my favorite.
Last Edited by Raine; 03-23-2007 at 12:24 AM. Reason:
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Dog Dog 123 Dog Dog 123 is a female United States Dog Dog 123 is offline
:(
Send a message via AIM to Dog Dog 123 Send a message via Skype™ to Dog Dog 123

View Posts: 8,559

Um, right, train of thought is always alittle bit random, so just make sure you read everything throughout the post incase your name comes up in several spots...

Exidid - It's good to see that you like doing things that are more creative. Creativity is a good thing because if you think "Hmm, how can I do this?" and get an idea, you might figure out how to do something really really cool. For example, in Din DD had been saying that in Paint all we had been doing was resizing and bordering pictures. He pointed out that we should try recoloring backgrounds or adding scanlines or something cool like that. Then, because the other people using Paint said "It's just Paint! It doesn't do that!" and a few of us look at the scanlines and tried to do it, we then figured out a way to get Photoshop style scanlines. See? Always be creative. It's nice to see you trying out different border styles and such. Also, it looks like you're using all preset colors. Often borders look better if you go to Colors>Edit Colors... and then pick something that'll match alittle bit better.

Chari - I'm loving the toilet Paper P. For your next task, look at the banner on the first page. You're now going to practice moving the letters around the screen so that they overlay alittle bit. To do it, use the select tool. Chances are the letters are too close to be easily lifted. Therefore, select a letter. Then copy it into a big white workspace area. Then get rid of the bits of letter next to it. After that use the select tool to put them back together in the same order with less spacing between letters. Think you can do it?

Raine - Wonderful. If you end up with an uneven border and can realize it, then that's better then getting the border right the first time. Spotting mistakes is a good thing to be able to do. Also noticing in the border that you left a small gap between the lines in the top right corner and it doesn't come all the way to the edge. If you zoom in to do a border or something, remember to drag the scroll bars so that they go all the way to the corner that you're working on.

On the Gaara one, it's good to see you using a second picture when you border something. Remember to cout pixels when you're working on a border. It's a fairly annoying task to try to do, but if you're counting then the borders usually turn out to be even.

For the one with Gaara and Naruto, I know what you mean about "Not best but still favorite". I've had a few things I had done forever ago which I felt the same way about. This was one of my most favorite things I had made back before I started figuring out scanlines and shapes and things, even though it wasn't the best I had made, but I still loved it the most. That's not too uncommon to like something even when it's not the best you've ever done.

Question for all - Is this the only forum you use signatures on? Are there other places you go that don't have 4 different forum skins? If any of you say yes then I'll make up a tutorial on different shapes and fake transperancy.

ACK! Chari! ;_; You putted my name in one of your letters? And my avatar isn't transparentified in it... Also, for the banner assignment thingy, you might wanna add in a circle type thingy like in the current banner or a different shape so that there's something to fill the space, seeing as Painted is a shorter word then Homeroom.

Raine - Blah, I really need to start working on finding you a trial version or Word or something. It's really needed to get some of the Photoshop style effects... Exidid, you mention WordPad or something like that. Is it possible to paste pictures into that? If yes, click on the picture and then press the print screen button and the paste into Paint and then let me see what the window looks like. If we're lucky then the options are just in a different place and everything can be done without hunting down a trial of anything...

Chari - You mention Photo Editor or something like that. Please get me a picture of what that looks like as well just so that I know what else you're working with, just incase it happens to have more options and shorter ways to do things.

Exidid - Have you PM'ed Leminnes to let him know that you've joined this class yet?

HG and Ethan, please don't forget about this place and look through the little tutorial on page one, then let me see what you can do with it.

Um, working on figuring out how to blend pictures and backgrounds together neatly (Yeah, another thing thought to be impossible in Paint), so that'll be up eventually.

EDIT: Gah, I'm already messing up and confusing names...

EDIT 2: Hmm... Maybe it would be helpful to start color coding things... Oh well.

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/...-msp-word.html

^ Exidid and Chari (You two have Word, right?) , go ahead and start reading through that to see what you can do.
Last Edited by Dog Dog 123; 03-23-2007 at 11:45 AM. Reason:
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Skyloftian

Ok this is what it looks like when I paste images into wordpad. {I asume you were talking to me}
Click to see

Another standard border but different. I tried to use two colors to make it little less bland since im not too good with the creative borders. I guess this one turned out ok. I didn't use preset colors on this one. I used the eyedropper tool to use the cloud color.

Oh, I LOVE this one! Nothing fancy except for maybe the font which isn't that great.

*Sigh* I don't know what happened with the side borders. They look fine in Paint but look messed up on here. Sorry i'll try and fix it.

This one is the same sig as they one I made yesterday. I fixed the border and used different placement for the text. I like it better and im probably going to use it on here since I like it so much.

And my first avy

And theres this one. I was bored so I TRIED to be a little creative. I don't know what to say about it really. No border though. It didn't look right. Anyways here it is.

And another one from boredom. You know the show bleach? This one is making fun of it.

And again, another pitiful looking sig. It looked better on my comp than on here for some reason. Should I save as something besides .png?
Last Edited by Raine; 03-23-2007 at 05:53 PM. Reason:
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-23-2007, 05:42 PM

Question for all - Is this the only forum you use signatures on? Are there other places you go that don't have 4 different forum skins? If any of you say yes then I'll make up a tutorial on different shapes and fake transperancy. I do go to another forum....and the signature space is umlimited! I can make a 500x200 sig and they wouldn't care :3

#28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Skyloftian

Oh yeah. I don't go to any other forums. I might later though for Camp Hyrule since I didn't get to go last year.
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-23-2007, 06:42 PM
In Nicki we trust.

I recently made this two:

I've PMed Lemines already.

And I made this for fun:

Last Edited by Conde; 03-23-2007 at 08:07 PM. Reason:
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Skyloftian

I really like your Suicune sig. Did you overlay the image liek in the Tut?

Anyways onto my stuff. This one is a simple sig. I still would like to know how to really make fancy borders. Here it is.

And now for my super good one. Tell me what you think. borders kinda hard to see and there is no text just yet.

So...what ya think? I really like it. I used Apophysis to make the image and added the border in paint. Im hoping Lem will let Yami teach me Pophysis. So later I can make really good ones. Also, I found a trial version of MS Office 2007. And 82 hour download!! I have dial-up and thats wayyyy too much for me. Oh...*Yay* 400 posts XD. If ya didn't know, those preset colors are my favorite combination. The green and blue look great together IMO.

Another like the one above. With text. I don't like where its at. I really wish I could download some fonts cause I am running outta options. Um..Any assignments for me? Im kinda running out of ideas lol.

Ok, I know you don't teach it, but do you know anything about Paint Shop Pro 8? Cause I might be able to do whatever it is in there since I can't get Word. This download is gonna take like 3-4 hours and will be done by 1 I hope lol.

Another one. I made it heart shaped =) Just for you XD Lawl JK but it is heart shaped.

Last Edited by Raine; 03-24-2007 at 08:23 AM. Reason:
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-24-2007, 12:37 PM

Whoo, I'm already starting to have trouble following along with all this. Sorry again for the super long responses.

Raine - Hmm... What happens if you right click the image in Word Pad? Does it give you an options list like "Show Picture Toolbar" or "Format Picture" or something like that? Or, if you can't find those options and do end up downloading Microsoft Office 2007 or whatever it is, I'm pretty sure that the options are really out of place, so you'll have to go hunting to find them in it. Gah, I hated the 2007 version of word so much.... Oh well. I'm sure we'll figure it out.

Raine - For the first two, they look pretty good. However, the borders are looking alittle bit uneven. Next time you add a border to something, try zooming in on the picture, seeing as you like thicker borders. Then, pick a number of pixels. If when you zoomed in you were given scroll bars, always take the scroll bars and check to make sure that they are as far as they can possibly be towards the corner you are working on. Then, click the Paintbrush tool. Take the smallest setting. Whatever number of pixels you want your border to be, start counting that out in the corner. Draw one dot, then another dot diagnol to that, and continue until you have one dot for each pixel you want your border to be. Your corner will look like this:

Then do that to all the other corners. Then, take the single pixel line tool. Start on the dot that's closest to the edge and draw a line going up to meet the dot. Do that for all for sides. Then, start on the next dot. And continue like that so that you know exactly where the border needs to be. It'll help make it be alittle bit more even.

For the blue Sasuke one, it does look wonderful. The only thing I'm noticing is that the borders seem a tad uneven again and in the bottom right corner you left a white spot in the border.

For the one that appears to be done with the spraycan thingy, it's alright that you didn't border it. Some things will look better without borders.

Good idea for the bleach one. Things I'm noticing about it is that the border along the top and the border along the right side don't meet the edge of the signature. Also, there's alot of white along the edges of the picture, so it doesn't blend well. Of course, to get smooth edges on it it would appear that Word is needed (take a look at the tutorial to see how to do it there), but even without word you can still get a fairly rough cutout that doesn't have all that white in it.

^ (Don't laugh, that was really really really old) See? You can still take off some of the white even without word so that the picture blends alittle bit better.

As for saving as something other then a .png, I don't know. Every single photoshop expert I pestered when I was trying to figure out how to save stuff in Gimp said "Save as .png, it's the best". If you really think that saving is messing it up, you could try saving it as .bmp (24-bit Bitmap) and see if that does any better. Of course, Photobucket tries to change .bmp files to .jpg, so that usually doesn't turn out all that wonderfully.
.bmp Photobucket Upload:
.png Photobucket upload:

Chari - If you want me to go ahead and explain how to do fake transperancy then just let me know and I'll type it up for you.

Exidid - Notice along the edges of whatever it is in the first one? There are white specs here and there and basically everywhere. When you're cutting out an image, always draw a box around it and color the box with random colors, checking each time to make sure that the edges don't look bad. Try doing that each time you cut out a picture to check to see if there are any bad spots. Also, that's a nice border for it, even though the colors don't really match up with the rest of it all that well. Also, do you notice that one little line of pixels along the top and left side that's outside of the border? You might wanna consider getting rid of those little lines and make sure that your borders get all the way too the edge of the picture when they're supposed to.

For the next one (I think the character is Zim?), the border doesn't go all the way to the edge along the top. Also, do you see all the white along whoever they are? Try zooming in and using the paintbrush to go along the edges, and follow the tutorial on changing background that was at the bottom of the overlay thingy to get smooth edges along the picture. (If you look above at the cat thingy, you'll see that that one had hard edges to it, and that was because back then I didn't use word when I was messing with stuff) Of course, the Earth looks perfectly normal in that, so that's a plus.

For the Suicune banner, try counting the pixels. Alot of the measurements are really uneven. I know! Let's play a game of count the pixels! ^^

^ Those are the numbers of pixels from the edge to an object. See how the numbers change randomly? If you don't count the pixels, it ends up looking alittle bit sloppy and messy and not as precise.

For the Wolf one, there's a few things I feel like pointing out.
- The wolf's nose. A few dark colored pixels are showing through. I'll assume that for this one you had it set so that all white in the picture was transperant when you were moving the pictures around. Usually if you notice your pixels changing colors when you're moving stuff around, it means that you shound right click hot pink or something like that so that other colors don't show through. Or, if the colors do show through, click the Paint brush tool and put it on the smallest setting. Then zoom in on the spot that turned invisible and color each of those spots white (or whatever color they were supposed to be).
- Along the right side of the picture, there's a two pixel black line. Was that supposed to be there, or did you forget to get rid of it?
- Along the corner of the border where the wolf picture is, the picture shows through on both sides of the border. If you were to cut of the picture at the spot where the border was, it'd probably end up looking nicer.
- For the speech bubble, it looks alright, but there's a white line inbetween the circle part and the triangle. To fix that, zoom in and use the paintbrush to turn that line black so that it doesn't stand out like that. Or, it you mean for the speech bubble to be that way, then it looks fine.
- The picture of the wolf doesn't really blend at all. Of course, it'd be really really hard to actually blend those two pictures together like that, even with Photoshop. Therefore, try using shapes other then squares. When you draw out the square to take a piece of the first image, try adding a circle or something to it to but the wolf's head into. Let's see... How do we explain this? Blah, Example time it is...

^ In that, all the pictures are just sort of there, all slapped together and not blending together. You can easily see that not alot of time was taken. (5 minutes! Whoo!)

^ However, if you draw out a simple shape like that, you can use that when taking bits and pieces out of a picture.

^ And using that shape as a pattern for the images got me that. See how much nicer it looks when the images aren't just there? Um, and transperancy was the absolute last thing added, other then that it was all done in Paint.

In other words, try giving the Wolf's head some sort of shape or outline so that it doesn't look as though it's just there.

Raine - Whoo, I guess we're back to you now. In the first one, the borders are looking alittle bit uneven again.

In the next few, you're learning how to use Apophysis? I've never ever used that program, but some of the stuff I've seen come out of it have looked simply awsome. I'd go ask Lem about getting a teacher for it so that you can do stuff that looks better and won't have to take abstract backgrounds and such from other images. Anyways, borders on the last few are starting to look much better. And no, I don't know anything about Paint Shop Pro.

As for another assignment for you, when you've finally gotten Word, look through the tutorial on Overlaying/background and try to follow what it says in there. It's still a really new idea so I need more people to test it out and make sure it's actually working right.
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Nonsense! How absurd! You can't prove a thing!
View Posts: 3,486

Im sorry for asking, but can I join this class?

#33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-24-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Im sorry for asking, but can I join this class?
Um, I think Leminnes was still the one supposedly in charge of keeping track of which students had which teachers, but if the ony program you work with is Paint, then go ahead and PM Lem to let him know you're gonna join this class. But sure, the more the merrier.

So if you're joining, go ahead and answer the questions in the first post for me and then search down the first page for the link to the tutorial that everyone else is currently working with...
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-24-2007, 12:49 PM

OK. And yes, paint is the only thing I use. -.-

#35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-24-2007, 12:52 PM

Alrighty, I'll add you to the list of students.

WindWaker - Go answer the questions in the first post. None of them are hard to answer, but all the answers are important.
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-24-2007, 01:00 PM

1. Have you ever worked with Paint to do anything before?
Yeah. To make sigs

2. Have you found the icon to open up Paint on your computer?
Yep.

3. How old is your computer? Or basically, which version of Paint do you have? Is it Windows 98, Windows XP, Vista, or something else? (Yes, Paint has a few differences in it depending on how old it is) I think it's Windows 98. Not very sure what it is.

4. If you've worked with Paint before, what're some of the things you've done with it?
My sig right now and a couple of others.

5. Do you have a way to upload images to the internet? (Photobucket or Imageshack and such)
Imageshack

6. What are some of the major things you wish to learn about? Is there anything you really want to focus on, or skills you have trouble with? Or are you new to it all? I just want to learn. Im not that good. ^^;

7. How much have you used the program? Have you figured out what different tools do, or are we starting from scratch?
I know most of the buttons

8. Do you have a version of Microsoft Word on the computer?
Yeah...

9. Look for a Print Screen button on your keyboard. Does your computer have one? It might be written as PrtSc or so, but you should be able to hit that button and click paste to get a picture of what the window looks like. Can you find and make that button work? (Yes, it's an important key)

OK. I tried.

Oh, and so that you don't have to type \/\/ind \/\/aker in, call me Windy.

#37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-24-2007, 01:13 PM

Alright Windy, go ahead and follow the tutorial on the first page. Then post a few things so that we can all see what you can do with the program.

You're on Windows 98? YAY! That's what my other computer has on it, and it has that wonderful option of not making the window bigger... Oh well. If there's anything that doesn't make sense to you then just feel free to let me know, it's been a while since I worked with that version of Paint..

Anyways, let's see what you can do.
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-24-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dog 123 View Post
Chari - If you want me to go ahead and explain how to do fake transperancy then just let me know and I'll type it up for you.
;_; Yes pwease

#39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-24-2007, 05:32 PM

I said I think I have Windows 98. Anyway, here's some of the crappy junk I do.

So uh....there they are. :embersd:

Yeah uh...the ugly purple one is suppose to be the great fairy from WW.

#40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-24-2007, 06:31 PM

Uh, Chari, I'll get that typed up when my computer stops being slow and weird... Which'll probably be tomorrow morning...

Windy - One thing that I noticed when I first looked at your stuff is that it appears to have been saved as .jpg. When you save stuff in any image editting program, it's usually best to save it as .png so that the colors don't get destoryed. Anyways, let's go down the list.

For the one with Link and Shiek, the border has alot of lumps and bumps in it. Try to make the borders straight.

In the one with Epona, it looks as if there had been a line of a dark color along the left edge and the top. Of course, it looks like it was saved as .jpg, and that makes it incredibly hard to tell where colors had been placed. From the looks of it the top border was one pixel more then the rest of the border as well, but again, it's too hard to see past the blurs.

In the Great Fairy one, there are dark colors outside of the borders along the bottom and left sides and a white line next to the inside of the border on the right side.

On the first two the font doesn't seem to fit very well with the rest of the signature, so you might want to try experimenting with different fonts to see what you can come up with. Also on all of them, it looks like you've been using all preset colors. If you work with patterns and such then presets are fine, but for drawing on borders and adding fonts it might help to go to Colors>Edit Colors to get a better choice of colors. Of course, the colors you picked fit pretty well with the rest of it all, but on some things the preset colors simply won't work. Just keep that in mind.

So Windy, let's see you post up a few more things, but this time remember to save as .png so that the colors are clear enough to tell appart.

Raine - Either find picture options in Wordpad or get Word '07 working and then try following along with the overlay/backgrounds tutorial.

Chari - Um, I'll work on something about transperancy at forums with one skin soonish, but for now I want to see you take that banner of yours and move the letters about so that they overlap alittle bit. Just to see if you can get good at rearranging things in a Paint window.

Exidid - Let's see you continue working on overlaying and changing backgrounds to see if you can get the concept of it.

Ethan person - If you aren't dead yet, let's see you make something simple so that we can start working on the basics.

HG - Don't forget about this thread please. Still waiting to see if you can figure out how to work the basics of Paint.

And me and my wonderful memory probably forgot something...

Tags
123, dog, homeroom