Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-23-2012, 01:37 AM
Navii!
Send a message via Skype™ to Navii_
View Posts: 692
Navii's Classroom

Hey Ladies and Gents, my future students I was thiking of a way to further myself on the forum and well I don't know how, but I figured why not help those in what I feel I am "Okay" In. and thats Graphics. As you guess by the title, this is a School! I will be teaching you all the most complicated signatures to the most Basic tutorials. I hope that you all have been actually inside photoshop and taken a peek in just to see what your working with. However depending on the tutorial I will build as time goes on a Directory each consisting of Beginner Intermediate and Advanced. and these will vary by how detailed the tutorials are!
in any event! Whatever you need help with learning how to do soething, and Effect or anything of the sort, Let me know I will gladly put together a quick tutorial for you all, my future students!

*narrows down glasses* today we will be attempting to make this image!

First tutorial:

Samus --

First what you wanna do is go o File >> New and go ahead and make your signature to be about 500 X 200

You should choose your Paint bucket tool (or press G on your Keyboard) and then fill your seleiction black (#0000000)
this is all you should have layers and all

Open up your Render which is from File >> Open and open your render, mine will be this one.

http://www.planetrenders.net/renders..._display_media

Once you have your render open, select your Magic Wand Tool (or press the W on yoru keyboard) the icon looks like this

once you click yor image and the entire image is selected, go to Select >> Inverse and this will only be a selection around Samus. For example:

once the selection is entirely around Samus go ahead and go to Edit >> Copy then return to the layer in Step 1 (your blank black layer) and once there go to Edit>> paste. and Samus should be pased in that Layer. this is how my layers and image look newly pasted withou beig moved.

NOW ONTO THE FUNNNN!

we began out graphic making since we have te symantics down. I am gonna rezise samus by going to Edit >> free transform and resize her to your liking.

then go to your layers and click on the one that says Background, once thats selected, go to Layer >>New >> Layer once thats done you should have your layers in this order

Samus
New Layer
Background

Your Brush or press the B key on your keybaord. these are the brushes I will be using

click on this and it should automatically download

http://www.deviantart.com/download/2...actgrunge2.abr

and other Grunge brushes to create a base for the bacground!

we aren't gonna do anything with Samus yet. So continueing, the color you will be using are two colors your foreground image is (#ef6840) and the background will be (#380621).

Now click your Gradiant Tool which is G on keyboard. it should be the lightets color to the darkest, like this:

Take the tool and pull straight across the image and let go, (remember this is on Layer 2)

it should in the end look like this

Now having Layer Two selected make a new layer, and this should make a layer 3 right below the Samus Layer, this is perfect! should be as followed (SAMUS (layer 1) >> LAYER THREE >> lAYER TWO >> BACKGROUD)

Now on this layer select your brush, and we are going to pain in the darkest purle at the left hand side of our image, just place several strokes of our custom brush there, ad we will be using the foreground color, this is what mine looks like after painting

Switch between the background and foreground to lay down the painting to edge out the background.

Now make a new Layer which will be Layer four while is below Layer one, any new layer until otherwise stated will be below layer 1. Add a few more brushes on this New Layer and set it to Color Burn.

Now we are gonna work on Samus! Highlight Layer one and duplicate the layer. Layer 1 copy should be on the bottom of Layer 1. Hid Layer one.

On Layer 1 copy go ahead and take your smudge tool and place the strength on 15. Only smudge the imge BELOW Layer one.

Duplicte the Copy three times. should all look like this

on Layer 1 Copy go to Filter >> Brush strokes >> Spatter and these are my options i chose

Select Layer 1 Copy 3 and repeat the previous step.

this is what I have on all layers and this is my outcome

Unhide Layer 1 (Samus Layer) IF hidden. and ERASE AROUND Samus just the EDGES of her image to allow your splattered images to peek through, like this, this is what I have.

Set Layer 1 copy 4 to 52% >> Linear Dodge (ADD). Layer Copy 2 >> Screen . Layer Copy 3 << Darken. Layer 1 Copy to Screen.

this should be your similiar outcome or something similar!

Now a little tweaking, Samus' Gun needs a bit more life, so take a plain ol Round Brush. Hardness at 0

Create a NEW LAYER that should be ontop of LAYER 1. and draw in a circle right at Samus Gun like this:

Set this to Overlay and bring it down to 75% simply Duplicate that Layer.

and this should be he result:

Go to Layer >> Flatten Image and Dulicate that and play around with the layer modes I set this one to Overlay and got this result:

Flatten the image and repeat, this time setting the layer to Screen and 64%

flatten that image.

duplicate the background image and now the last step is to place on Gradient maps to kinda help out the color.

Go to Image >> Adjustments >> Gradient Map

the first ones color is #fed84b <-- background and foreground is #30020f

Set that to Darken Color and Opacity to 47%

Add whatever text and border of your choice you like and YOUR DONE!!!!!!!!

Hope you enjoyed!

Happy member of the Farore Clan
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-23-2012, 02:41 AM
Avalanchemike

View Posts: 19,285
Re: Navii's Classroom

Very cool sig tute, Navi! I like your choice in render and colours, and text placement is pretty good. I'm not usually a fan of the splatter filter honestly though I like how you used it here. I'd love to see you incorporate some of your own art work into your sig-making (I'm a fan of making GFX from scratch).
2 people liked this post: IGNIS, Navii_
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 AM
Navii!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daenerys Targaryen View Post
Very cool sig tute, Navi! I like your choice in render and colours, and text placement is pretty good. I'm not usually a fan of the splatter filter honestly though I like how you used it here. I'd love to see you incorporate some of your own art work into your sig-making (I'm a fan of making GFX from scratch).
Hey there thanks so much!! <3 I appreciate your criticism on my tutorial! I'm glad there were some pointers here that you enjoyed and honestly i'm not a fan of the splatter filter either however to newly introduce it to those who want a cool effect in little time and its easy, I didn't mind doing it especially when the result turned out somewhat Okay lol I did try some new things with this Tut and honetly im still learning and growing, and I hope to learn and grow with this thread <3

Lastly, call me thick for the moment but I was perplexed by your comment, didn't know what you meant here

Quote:
I'd love to see you incorporate some of your own art work into your sig-making (I'm a fan of making GFX from scratch)
Did you mean my drawings??? im not sure what of my own art work is talking about that could be Incorporated however once explained I can surely give it a shot for you in the next tutorial!! <3

#4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Avalanchemike

View Posts: 19,285

I mean like your own sketches, ya, if you have a tablet for your computer, or if you're into using your mouse/touchpad, to design stuff for your sigs. Uh... the only example I have on me is this where I drew 95% of that. I've seen your art work and it's amazing, just wondering if you ever thought of combining the two!
Last Edited by Malia; 04-23-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Caleb, Navii_
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Navii!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daenerys Targaryen View Post
I mean like your own sketches, ya, if you have a tablet for your computer, or if you're into using your mouse/touchpad, to design stuff for your sigs. Uh... the only example I have on me is this where I drew 95% of that. I've seen your art work and it's amazing, just wondering if you ever thought of combining the two!

That signature is freakin STUNNING!!!!!! I will ry that sometime lol I have a tblet I have t go ahead and dust off that thing and use it! and you know what? I hadn't thought about even doing that.
Thanks for the compliment! i'm gonna really think about beginning that
it'll be a new avenue to tap into and it'll be something awesome to practice at! Thanks for the idea, it's a must do
p.s. wheres your graphics thread?

Last Edited by Navii_; 04-23-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Off-Key Anthem
View Posts: 10,388

Oh wow, this is awesome!
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Navii!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
Oh wow, this is awesome!
Thank you so much!!!!!!
Another tutorial coming Soon! LOL

Last Edited by Navii_; 04-27-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 PM
let's all go sleep
Steam ID: Luxensis Wii U ID: HalysisGFX 3DS ID: 4270-1953-6378

View Posts: 3,596

I wasn't gonna do this tutorial cause I use GIMP, but I got an idea for a similar effect to the splatter filter and thought I'd try it (we also don't have all of the fancy layer modes, so I just picked the closest ones).
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Rin Kagamine Rin Kagamine is a female United States Rin Kagamine is offline
A machine that controls my life
Send a message via Yahoo to Rin Kagamine
View Posts: 65

This is a really good tutorial,Navii. I might consider doing it, I don't have PS, but I might be able to do it in GIMP
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Navii!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
I wasn't gonna do this tutorial cause I use GIMP, but I got an idea for a similar effect to the splatter filter and thought I'd try it (we also don't have all of the fancy layer modes, so I just picked the closest ones).
Holy crap that turned out Damn good!! I used to use GIMP and it was difficult to use if your used to photoshop, you have to really put in effort to make it look great and Man you sure did that, down to the color and then the splattering of the image, the brush usage and even the light strobe of the gun you did an awesome job Caleb! <3 <3 <3 Total A! from me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuki Kazicane View Post
This is a really good tutorial,Navii. I might consider doing it, I don't have PS, but I might be able to do it in GIMP
Awwww Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3
Yay I would LOVE LOVE to see your result from it!
Hey if Caleb worked it out flawlessly in GIMP you can too <3 <3

Last Edited by Navii_; 04-30-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 69

This was very helpful. Maybe one day I'll have photoshop too and I can try it out. <3