Opted for text on the left rather than the right. There was more room + the overlay effect over the background looks so much better on that side than the right. I *think* I'm done, but I feel like I should add more to the foreground.
Critique would be appreciated on this one, as it's going to be my next signature if it gets positive critique/other's agree that I shouldn't add more.
EDIT: And oh my God, that arm. I still need to something about that.
I like the redness of it. Plus it's Pikachu and Red. But there's a lot going on and the different layers and fragments of stocks in the sig are excessive and messy. In this case I would go back and try to remove a few things here and there as opposed to adding more. Not sure if the Pikachu render/stock is of low quality or if there was a filter added that made it look blurry-- it gets too caught up on the excess of the other stocks and brushstrokes, regardless.
Also not sure if that opaque text is working or if it's needed. The font isn't attractive, either.
Aaand I like the banner. The whole grungy, gestural quality of it fits the thread's title. I'd say it needs to be smaller and less distracting, though. I like the font, but maybe it needs to be less opaque or placed better.
Thanks! I still wish I coulda done something with the arm, though.
HOLDEN I SEE YOU VIEWING THIS. PLEASE ANSWER THIS FOR ME.
[1/3/2012 3:07:03 AM | Edited 3:07:40 AM] Solsetur: EL.
On this sig I finished (http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/u...nk780/sig7.png (I wanted to do more cleaning up but I hit an... obstacle)), when I rotated the text a Floating Selection (Transformation) popped up, and now I can't do anything to the sig that is not part of the selected piece. I can't go to Selection and hit None, nor can I delete it because the text goes with it, too.
Is there anything I can do to get rid of it/get around it without altering the text in some way?
Lest I forget, I wanted to let you know that I took a closer look at that signature. I think the layers are organized pretty well, but the background could have benefited from different layer properties. Instead of this:
maybe you could've done that red layer under Lighting and then gotten rid of the opaque that are on top of it:
Less darker and more subdued that way, I think.
Some of the layers that contain brushstrokes could be taken off:
but then, I think, comes the biggest problem which is the stock image of Ash/Red. It's a very low-quality image you're working with, and the fact that it's missing the right arm and the left is cropped makes it more difficult. You'd have to appropriate those brushstrokes in the file which aren't all that attractive or clean. I mean, this it:
You could take your time manipulating that image, but you could spend that time working with something easier and more creative.
So while layers are not all a complete mess, the images you're working with are. The background image is a tough one, too, and it sort of made you follow through with messy brushstrokes and iffy text. The sig at a glance is not that bad, though. I wouldn't get too worked up on this sig, either. Start on a new one, working with simpler images and high quality renders. Maybe try limiting your layers to a few while also working with simple text.
Go for less clutter and more simplicity.
Decided to start working with gradiant maps. I chose my SotW sig to screw with, and here's the result:
I like it, but I think that the gradiants caused it to get a little too dark - particularly the one that went over whatever the ♥♥♥♥ that zombie thing was. I think with a little more practice I can fix that problem and start implementing them into more of my sigs, and delve deeper into manipulating my images.
So yeah, I'm liking it so far. With a little more work I can hopefully start putting it in more of my pieces and make my stuff better.
Started out as me showing someone how to do some things in GIMP, but then became this.
I... really dunno what to say about it, honestly. I like some of the things with the background and the render, but the foreground is rather lackluster in comparison. Regardless, I actually DID figure out how to do some now things, so I'll be checking those out. Lighting is also something I played around with, I can definitely see some cool things coming out of what I discovered.
So yeah, I can't say it was a complete waste. I still like the sig, however.