Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 99
Hurt by water?

Don't you guys think it sucks that you can swim in OoT and MM but not in PH or those others? Plus, it hurts you!
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Knight of Skyloft
Send a message via AIM to spruce58052
View Posts: 834
Re: Hurt by water?

In those games, Link can't swim. He gets hurt because he drowned.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 12:38 PM
View Posts: 2,147

It is quite strange that you can't swim in TWW or PH, you'd think that Link in those games would be used to water. I guess if you could swim you could just swim from island to island, so that is probaly why he can't swim in those games.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Jedi

View Posts: 4,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh O View Post
It is quite strange that you can't swim in TWW or PH, you'd think that Link in those games would be used to water. I guess if you could swim you could just swim from island to island, so that is probaly why he can't swim in those games.
You can swim in TWW, which is wierd that you can't swim in PH because it's the same Link.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Knight of Skyloft
Send a message via AIM to spruce58052
View Posts: 834

^ In TWW Link could only swim for a short period of time before he drowned. PH just shortened that time, since it wouldn't do you any good.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 12:45 PM
View Posts: 2,147

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesmaR View Post
You can swim in TWW, which is wierd that you can't swim in PH because it's the same Link.
Yeah i know i meant you can't swim for as long as OOT and MM link could.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Oath to Order
View Posts: 1,556

I'm guessing they did it so you can't just decide to swim off Outset Island as soon as you start the game, it makes you need the boat. In MM & OOT you never had oceans that lead from island to island so it wasn't something they needed to address.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Light Spirit
Steam ID: a6mzerosen
View Posts: 3,290

Ocean water has strong currents.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 02:10 PM
BigGoronSword BigGoronSword is a male Dominican Republic BigGoronSword is offline
RIP Robin Williams (8/11/14)
Send a message via AIM to BigGoronSword Send a message via Yahoo to BigGoronSword

View Posts: 11,257

It's one realistic thing they put in tWW: Stamina. Link is a 10 year old kid! How far do you honestly think he could have swum? Only Olympic athletes (and Zelda aquatic life forms) could swim island to island. And if you're talking about diving, there really wouldn't be any use. Old Hyrule is hundreds of feet beneath the surface, there's no way he would have been able to survive down there (unless he had some sort of mermaid suite like the Link had in OoA).

Then you have the monsters to think about. Even if Link could swim from one isle to another, there wouldn't be a way to defend himself from the onslaught of attacks from the octorocks, and other monsters of the deep.

With that said, nothing could have been done in PH. They made you drown so it would be an obstacle you'd have to work your way around (just like Link not being able to jump small gaps in earlier games). For example there was a temple where he had to lower and raise the water level. If Link could swim, there wouldn't have been a challenge...or a real purpose to the whole (simple) puzzle.

-BGS

[ZeldaWiki][Forum Mods][Rules][ZUChat][Newbie Guide]
"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans"-Van Zant
Giving up means you're willing to live with how things are-BGS
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGoronSword View Post
It's one realistic thing they put in tWW: Stamina. Link is a 10 year old kid! How far do you honestly think he could have swum? Only Olympic athletes (and Zelda aquatic life forms) could swim island to island. And if you're talking about diving, there really wouldn't be any use. Old Hyrule is hundreds of feet beneath the surface, there's no way he would have been able to survive down there (unless he had some sort of mermaid suite like the Link had in OoA).

Then you have the monsters to think about. Even if Link could swim from one isle to another, there wouldn't be a way to defend himself from the onslaught of attacks from the octorocks, and other monsters of the deep.

With that said, nothing could have been done in PH. They made you drown so it would be an obstacle you'd have to work your way around (just like Link not being able to jump small gaps in earlier games). For example there was a temple where he had to lower and raise the water level. If Link could swim, there wouldn't have been a challenge...or a real purpose to the whole (simple) puzzle.

-BGS
Hey yeah, probably it would ruin the game. But still, swimming is fun.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 05:51 PM
[insert clever custom title]
View Posts: 4,460

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGoronSword View Post

-BGS

Right... a 10 year old kid can't swim due to stamina...

yet he can run for hours. he can fight hordes of enemies up until his last breath(heart) After hours of running around in a dark dungeon, he can still fight against the boss.

Your reasoning works against you.

Although not being able to leave Outset island before your time is up is one good thing... but that only works for the very begining. But it could have been easier to just put it so you can't go past a certain point. Just like the one you see when you try and get off map. There is still water ahead of you... but the KORL wont let you, instead of the boat, it would be one of those Fishman things.

A game heavily based on and around water and having almost no swimming ability and diving is just... sad.

Amazing Signature and Avatar by Viral Maze. Thanks!
My Fanfiction
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Oath to Order
View Posts: 1,556

Offtopic: Gotta say though the Zora Mask in WW would of been heaven and would of given you an entire much larger world on the ocean floor to explore. That'd of been cool and would explain why you see no zoras' but no they had to become the weird bird people.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Goron
View Posts: 233

I'll tell ya why, because having an underwater aspect would entail making the game bigger and probably harder, and Nintendo doesn't want that as of now.

I didn't get PH, and I don't think I will. THAT's right, I said it! I'm 16, and if this game's as easy as they say, it's a waste o $
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 08:10 PM
I Am Iron Man
View Posts: 1,678

perhaps you cant swim in WW and PH because there is no need to. really, what would the point of been?

"But I suggest, gentlemen, that the difficulty is not so much to escape death; the real difficulty is to escape from doing wrong, which is far more fleet of foot." ~Plato
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Goron
View Posts: 216

Well I guess the more logical reason would be that since the sea is a big and deep area of water there are factors which would make so you could drown. One important factor would be the fact that there are strong currents and seas tend to have very cold water. I think that from a programmerís perspective that Nintendo didn't feel like spending money and time developing the under water area, so they just want to get Wind Waker out because either they didn't have enough graphics knowledge at the time or they were lazy and wanted to get the games out ASAP. Only I've never played Phantom Hourglass (because I don't want to buy a DS because I don't have the money), so I guess the factor could still be the same because the DS may not have the best Graphics and they werenít able to do that sort of thing.

Words make my sig too big...
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.
View Posts: 8,890

What would be the point to swimming in TWW?
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Bah Hambug
View Posts: 217

You kinda have a boat in TWW and PH for waters...

My Zelda Games
Twilight Princess [Beaten]
Phantom Hourglass [Playing]
Majora's Mask [Played]
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2008, 07:44 AM
lightly salted
View Posts: 17,714

Well, it was both made to be based on islands surrounded by water and just imagine how easy the game would be if Link could swim forever?

Having a really, really easy Zelda game wouldn't be Zelda at all. It needs to think your brains out and there were the boats. If Link could swim from island to island in both of the games, then he wouldn't really develop a strong relationship with the King of Red Lions and Linebeck, and they were really important characters of the game.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2008, 02:46 PM
[insert clever custom title]
View Posts: 4,460

Still would have been nice to beable to swim

Amazing Signature and Avatar by Viral Maze. Thanks!
My Fanfiction
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2008, 03:18 PM
BigGoronSword BigGoronSword is a male Dominican Republic BigGoronSword is offline
RIP Robin Williams (8/11/14)
Send a message via AIM to BigGoronSword Send a message via Yahoo to BigGoronSword

View Posts: 11,257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minion of Talazar View Post
Right... a 10 year old kid can't swim due to stamina...

yet he can run for hours. he can fight hordes of enemies up until his last breath(heart) After hours of running around in a dark dungeon, he can still fight against the boss.

Your reasoning works against you.
We all know he can do all of that, I just mentioned the very one thing that Nintendo decided to make "realisticly" for some reason: His swimming stamina. That's why most games are in the line of fantasy. Sure Lara Croft had a breath meter, however she could be mauled by bears and shot by guns dozens of times before she's down.

It's a video game, we shouldn't be taking it too seriously. If they made all the characters as realistic as possible (let's say Link only gets 3 hearts, and enemy hits are more powerful depending on what weapon they weild) then these games would be rediculously challenging (sorta like Odd's World...hey, that game was "realistic". One shot and you're dead).

It seems that to make this game "realistic", it would need a breath meter (like Tomb Raider), a Stamina meter (like Diablo for running around), and a lower heart meter (since I honestly don't think anyone of us could actually take more than two swipes from a Darknut's sword).

-BGS

[ZeldaWiki][Forum Mods][Rules][ZUChat][Newbie Guide]
"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans"-Van Zant
Giving up means you're willing to live with how things are-BGS

Tags
hurt, water