Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Sheikah
Send a message via AIM to Layke
View Posts: 541
Embodiment of the Gods?

I have been working on a project that involves this kinda question. According the the Zelda lore, Din created the world with her flaming arms, Nayru gave law to the land, and Farore created the life that would uphold the law.

My question is, exactly what all do the Goddesses represent. Obviously, Din made such things as the earth, rocks, mountains, etc. Farore, simply enough, created all things living. Exactly what law is it that Farore's creations uphold? Is it something like time, or a more figurative interpretation, like law of the land or laws of death.

Here is a list of things that I am pretty sure each God represents, as well as and additional category containing things I'm not sure where they belong yet. Feel free to contribute.

Din

Earth (rocks, minerals, metals, mountains, etc.)
Fire

Nayru

Time

Farore

Living Entities

???

Magic
Water
Wind
Motion
Thought
Emotion

The Legend of Zelda: Relinquished

--Credit to DSL9 for this Sig--
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2008, 05:16 PM
is not Zelda in disguise
View Posts: 3,959
Re: Embodiment of the Gods?

We cant be really shure but I think it goes something like that:

Din:
-Earth/Matter
-Fire
-Oracle of seasons (which is strange since the circle of the seasons is a natural law --> Nayru's department?)
-Power
(-Motion)

Nayru:
-Time and other natural/physical laws (e.g. gravity, circle of life/death)
-Water ( nayru's pearl has the zorasymbol on it, Lanayru is a watersnake)
-Oracle of ages (again time)
-Wisdom
(-Thought)

Farore:
-Living creatures, plants included.
-Wind (Link being the hero of wind, zephyr temple being very plant like, Farores thunder storm)
-Oracle of secrets
-Courage
(-Emotion)

I olny added those in the brakets because you asked for them.
Last Edited by bitterlime; 01-13-2008 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2008, 05:31 PM
I smell a rat.....
View Posts: 173

This kind of reminds me of the legendary beasts from johto lore but you probally dont know what I am talking about...

Farore-forest-courage-thunder-raiku

Nayru-sea-wisdom-wind-suicune(Thats me!)

Din-volcano-power-fire-entei

"The north wind shall travel across the land for hurracanes shall destroy the earth when angered"

Check out My parody!
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Sheikah

I would normally agree with you in a heart beat about some of those, but after giving everything further thought, I'm not so sure anymore. To start, while Din is the Oracle of Seasons, I still believe like you said that is a function of time, and that maybe the different seasons just is more represenative of Din's power. For example, fire for summer and spring for earth. This has alos lead me to believe maybe din has control over water and wind, as winter and fall represent those elements best I believe.

Additionally, motion is a product of time. If there were no time, things would not move. However, without matter and living creatures, jumping, which is a motion, wouldn't exist either.

I am still not sure about the elements however, as you may have inferred from my first paragraph. For example, yes, the spell is called Farore's Wind, but then another spell is also called Nayru's love. So apparently, the Gods share many powers, even though they are known for some more than others.

Not as simple as it used to seem, is it?

#5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Fabulous

View Posts: 3,035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layke View Post
I would normally agree with you in a heart beat about some of those, but after giving everything further thought, I'm not so sure anymore. To start, while Din is the Oracle of Seasons, I still believe like you said that is a function of time, and that maybe the different seasons just is more represenative of Din's power. For example, fire for summer and spring for earth. This has alos lead me to believe maybe din has control over water and wind, as winter and fall represent those elements best I believe.

Additionally, motion is a product of time. If there were no time, things would not move. However, without matter and living creatures, jumping, which is a motion, wouldn't exist either.

I am still not sure about the elements however, as you may have inferred from my first paragraph. For example, yes, the spell is called Farore's Wind, but then another spell is also called Nayru's love. So apparently, the Gods share many powers, even though they are known for some more than others.

Not as simple as it used to seem, is it?
Din has control over the seasons, but not the elements contained within the seasons. Example, it could be winter, but it won't necessarily snow. It is the weather that decides that.

Motion is a product of chemical reactions and will, and is allowed by time, therefor not putting in times control.

I agree with bitterlime, he did a good placement. And made me laugh (motion/ eMotion, lol)

Oh, and no one goddess represents magic, considering they are all magic.
SS-OoT______________________________aLttP-LA
\MM---TP---tHF-AoL---OoS-OoA-/
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2008, 06:12 PM
xXSacredBeastXx xXSacredBeastXx is a male United States xXSacredBeastXx is offline
The Patriot Snake
View Posts: 663

Let's just put this like this:

Din, Goddes of Power:
Earth: (Minerals, metal, mountains, etc.)

Nayru, Goddes of Wisdom:
Laws of Phisics: (Gravity)
Laws of Life: (Born, live and die)
Laws of Time and Space: (Time passing, spring, summer, fall, winter and space gravity)

Farore, Goddes of Courage:
Life: (Humans, animals, insects etc.)

The Goddeses each had a task tu fulfill to COMPLETELY create the land we know now as Hyrule.

"Bullets don't win wars. Soldiers do." Advance Wars Days of Ruin
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Sheikah

Quote:
Originally Posted by humulos View Post
Din has control over the seasons, but not the elements contained within the seasons. Example, it could be winter, but it won't necessarily snow. It is the weather that decides that.

Motion is a product of chemical reactions and will, and is allowed by time, therefor not putting in times control.

I agree with bitterlime, he did a good placement. And made me laugh (motion/ eMotion, lol)

Oh, and no one goddess represents magic, considering they are all magic.
However, winter is a period of colder climate versus summer being a period of warmer temperatures. It is not sufficient to say seasons are based on time, because that's what months are for. That's why the Southern Hemisphere summer and winter occur at different times.

Chemical reactions don't occur without time passing, so who is in control now?

No doubt, bitterlime did do well. I still think it could be refined a little more though.

#8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-14-2008, 09:20 AM
is not Zelda in disguise

Quote:
However, winter is a period of colder climate versus summer being a period of warmer temperatures. It is not sufficient to say seasons are based on time, because that's what months are for. That's why the Southern Hemisphere summer and winter occur at different times.

Chemical reactions don't occur without time passing, so who is in control now?

No doubt, bitterlime did do well. I still think it could be refined a little more though.
You need an impulse (power) to get something into motion. Thats why I connected it to Din.

Tought is a a product of the mind, as is wisdom. That's why I choosed Nayru.

Courage is a form of emotion (kind of). I think that courage is the power to overcome your fears (those are emotions for shure). Also living creatures are the only things to have emotions/feelings. Thats why I linked it to Farore.

Din could have the power over the for elements. She created the world, I guess that would include earth (oblivous), wind (Air is also matter), and water(again matter), fire is a bit tricky since it is not matter but a chemical/physical reaction.
I prefer however to link Farore with wind, and Nayru to water. For the reasons I gave above.

Ofcourse Motion (Din?) is dependant on time, but so are all life forms (Farore). Keep however in mind that time is a construction of the humans, it does not really exist. That sounded strange but I hope you get what I mean.

We can't be really shure which Goddess represents what, exept for the stuff you listed in your first post and ofcourse the virtues of courage, wisdom and power.
Last Edited by bitterlime; 01-14-2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Sheikah

I am inclined to agree with you on power now, as an impulse in the form of a force is required to do work. It would also help classify things that aren't as easily identifyable, such as magnetism, even though it is a force of nature.

As for water and wind, I'm still not quite sure. What other references does Farore have to wind besides OoT and I'm not sure what games Nayru is mentioned with water, although I'm sure there are.

Additionally, I'm still torn between courage, emotions, and thought. I can very easily separate knowledge and wisdom from emotions, as knowledge is present in the world even though you may not know what it is. Emotions, however, are the product of living creatures. With that said, Nayru's love would indicate that she is connected to emotions as well.

I am seriously considering disregarding the spells in OoT in order to make this a much more ordered list. Please, more feedback.

#10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-15-2008, 03:10 PM
is not Zelda in disguise

In the german version of the game Nayru's Love is called "Nayru's Umarmung", which translates to Nayru's embrace, it would be interesting to knoe what the original japanese name was.

In Japan OoS was called "The nut of the mysterious tree: chapter of earth". Maybe they want us to interpretate the seasons as a current state displayed by the earth (planet or soil?) and not as a circle or a natural law?I don't know. ?_?

OoA was called "The nut...tree: chapter of time and space". Fits Nayru very well, imo.

Now for the Nayru -> Water and the Farore -> wind thing:

OoT:
- The game often talks about the flow of time, I think it even makes a comparision between time and a river. Okay this one is a bit far fetched. ^_^;
- Farores Wind

WW:
-Nayru's pearl has the Zora symbol on it. The Zora are an aquatic race.
-Nayru's pearl is in the possesion of the water deity Jabun, who seems to be conected to Jabu Jabu which was woreshipped by the Zora.
-Farore's pearl is in the possesion of the plant deity called Dekutree, the Deku tree watches over the tribe which gave birth to the sage of wind
-Din's pearl is in the possesion of the Rito, a tribe that gave birth to the new earth sage and that woreships Valoo a fire deity.
-The Nayru statue has little fins behind her ears
-Link the owner of the Triforce of courage is called the hero of winds. Well he was called hero of time (Nayru) in OoT and still was the one with the triforce of courage (Farore), so I guess this is not a valid point.

FSA/MC:
-The water element is blue, a color always conected to Nayru.
-The wind element is green, a color always conected to Farore.

TP:
- Lanayru is a giant water snake with a crocodile head
- Lanayru province includes Lake Hylia, Zoras river and Zoras domain (main source of water) and the water temple.

Thats all I can think of for the moment. Keep however in mind that I consider the Din = all four elements theory also as very likely. It's just because of these small hints I listed and my personal preferences that I link Nayru to Water and Farore to wind.

I hope this was helpfull in some way! ^_^
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Missing Inaction Missing Inaction is a male United States Missing Inaction is offline
a theorist of a different color
View Posts: 1,863

Din created the land.

Nayru created laws of nature for the land.

Farore created life to keep the land in order.
I Corinthians 10:31
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Sheikah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterlime View Post
In the german version of the game Nayru's Love is called "Nayru's Umarmung", which translates to Nayru's embrace, it would be interesting to knoe what the original japanese name was.

In Japan OoS was called "The nut of the mysterious tree: chapter of earth". Maybe they want us to interpretate the seasons as a current state displayed by the earth (planet or soil?) and not as a circle or a natural law?I don't know. ?_?

OoA was called "The nut...tree: chapter of time and space". Fits Nayru very well, imo.

Now for the Nayru -> Water and the Farore -> wind thing:

OoT:
- The game often talks about the flow of time, I think it even makes a comparision between time and a river. Okay this one is a bit far fetched. ^_^;
- Farores Wind

WW:
-Nayru's pearl has the Zora symbol on it. The Zora are an aquatic race.
-Nayru's pearl is in the possesion of the water deity Jabun, who seems to be conected to Jabu Jabu which was woreshipped by the Zora.
-Farore's pearl is in the possesion of the plant deity called Dekutree, the Deku tree watches over the tribe which gave birth to the sage of wind
-Din's pearl is in the possesion of the Rito, a tribe that gave birth to the new earth sage and that woreships Valoo a fire deity.
-The Nayru statue has little fins behind her ears
-Link the owner of the Triforce of courage is called the hero of winds. Well he was called hero of time (Nayru) in OoT and still was the one with the triforce of courage (Farore), so I guess this is not a valid point.

FSA/MC:
-The water element is blue, a color always conected to Nayru.
-The wind element is green, a color always conected to Farore.

TP:
- Lanayru is a giant water snake with a crocodile head
- Lanayru province includes Lake Hylia, Zoras river and Zoras domain (main source of water) and the water temple.

Thats all I can think of for the moment. Keep however in mind that I consider the Din = all four elements theory also as very likely. It's just because of these small hints I listed and my personal preferences that I link Nayru to Water and Farore to wind.

I hope this was helpfull in some way! ^_^
Very insightful. Thanks for your help bitterlime. I am actually considering giving wind to Farore and water to Nayru. It is also making be consider other types of elements that I'm not sure where go anymore. For example, in the creation lore of OoT, we see Nayru fly over the land and suddenly the sky, clouds, and sun appear. This might could mean she controls the sky, heavens(space), and the sun as well, or it could mean that she simply created the space between them.

As for the German translation, that helps alot! Now I don't feel as bad for taking away emotions from Nayru, although it would be interesting to know what the German translation for the other two spells as well as the Japanese translations. Anyone who knows, please come forward!

#13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-16-2008, 07:27 AM
is not Zelda in disguise

Quote:
Very insightful. Thanks for your help bitterlime. I am actually considering giving wind to Farore and water to Nayru. It is also making be consider other types of elements that I'm not sure where go anymore. For example, in the creation lore of OoT, we see Nayru fly over the land and suddenly the sky, clouds, and sun appear. This might could mean she controls the sky, heavens(space), and the sun as well, or it could mean that she simply created the space between them.

As for the German translation, that helps alot! Now I don't feel as bad for taking away emotions from Nayru, although it would be interesting to know what the German translation for the other two spells as well as the Japanese translations. Anyone who knows, please come forward!
German:

"Din's Feuerinferno" = Din's fireinferno/ inferno of fire
"Farore's Donnersturm" = Farore's thunderstorm

Japanese:

neeru no ai = Nayru's love
furoru no kaze = Farore's wind
dein no honoo = Din's flame

I'm not an expert on japanese, but I'm shure thath "ai" is love and "kaze" is wind. Well here it's love in the original version, crap! XD
Now I'm confused! :O
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Sheikah

Maybe it is better explained with each god being able to control more than what they are known for. For example, just because Farore created life doesn't mean she can't control the wind as well. Like wise, just because Nayru gave wisdom and intelligence to life, doesn't mean she can't love them as well. Besides, is it really wind in her spell, or love making the sheild?

Tags
embodiment, gods