Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

View Poll Results: Are the Storylines in The Zelda Series Good?
Yes 37 72.55%
No 14 27.45%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Kokiri
Send a message via AIM to DukeofEarls
View Posts: 82
Re: LoZ's...Good Storylines?

In terms of a linear plot, the Zelda games have fairly bland storylines, sure. This isn't what the Zelda story relies on, though. In my opinion, the otherwise boring plot is enhanced to epic level because of the original and complete worlds that Link explores. Hyrule (and the other lands of Zelda) are what make the story great. If the events of Zelda were to somehow be translated into our world (don't feel like making an example, just picture a modern type of Zelda), it wouldn't be good at all. The creation of a new world to explore, with mysteries and things that seem completely alien to us, but at the same time feel almost 'real' support the plot. Yes, the princess and the hero is boring, but the hero heading into the volcanic home of the rock eating Gorons, the aquatic land of the fish-man Zoras, the forest of the mysterious forest spirits, etc, etc, to save the princess sure isn't.

I play Final Fantasy for the linear plot. I play Zelda for the sense of awe, wonder, and mystery that the story and world present. I'm not too fond of the phrase, but it's like comparing apples and oranges.
Last Edited by DukeofEarls; 01-10-2007 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Heavy Milk Drinker
View Posts: 247

PEOPLE come on, WE are talking about the GAME INDERSTRY, Even though Nintendo is a first party developer, there is still the developer/publisher risk, a publisher is the funding for the developers, the marketers wont take risks, they spending millions on dollars on something they want it to be safe, and risk free, Look what happened with the wind Waker, that was a massive risk that nintendo took (I think it's about 30% of games in the indersty get cancelled) The game inderstry is known for it's plagerism/cliche. In most games there is no depth, people play games because they want INTERACTIVE entertainment, a large amount consists on gameplay, players get anoyed if the games short (my rule is a dollar per hour of gameplay), temples is a fantastic sorce for gameply, so is colecting stones/medallions and everything, RPG's (which is one of the closest generes that Zelda falls into) as long as YOU the player are the only one who saves the world, there is usally a villian trying to take over the world, and to beat that villian, the developers/designers have to find a story or more/less an exuse to put in more gameply to keep the players happy, All RPG stories are more or less the same, it's the interpertatin, layers and depth that make the story what it is, in terms of all three they have a good balance, It's kinda sad the way that the game indersty works...It's kinda bad that the indersty is so shallow,

But anyway, just to sumerize what I'm saying, the Zelda sersies (of corse followers the same story,) but the depth, interpretation and the layers of the strory as DukeofEarls said, the way that we explore new places, chareters and atmospher that takes place in the story, of course its going to be cliched, but who cares, we all love it (don't we!?)

Yay Flavoured milk *pokes*
Charaters drawn by the Lovely Winter Cub...
PM me if you want to become friends,
Loving TP at the moment
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Mogma
View Posts: 158

I don't thin kthe Zelda games have particuarly good or original stores, btu I would make an exception in the case of MM, which actually had more emotion in it, aswell as a darker theme. I don't think it's any coincidence that this game also forgoes the Zelda/Ganon/Link Triforce storylien that seems to be typical to most other Zelda games.

Seriously, out of all Nintendos's franchises, Zelda has the most potential for a decent storyline, which makes it a shame that there seems to be a lack of it in most of the games.
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-12-2007, 01:26 PM
No! I use that pillow!
View Posts: 1,405

Quote:
Originally Posted by DhA View Post
I don't thin kthe Zelda games have particuarly good or original stores, btu I would make an exception in the case of MM, which actually had more emotion in it, aswell as a darker theme. I don't think it's any coincidence that this game also forgoes the Zelda/Ganon/Link Triforce storylien that seems to be typical to most other Zelda games.

Seriously, out of all Nintendos's franchises, Zelda has the most potential for a decent storyline, which makes it a shame that there seems to be a lack of it in most of the games.
I would agree that MM and LA seem to have respectively strong storylines compared to most other Zeldas. This is because they don't house the typical Zelda-Ganondorf-Master Sword-Triforce combination. These 2 games are a turn from tradition, and I think Zelda needs to have more games like this.

Hear Their Cries...
The Wait Til Daylight Dies...
And So Twilight Seize The Skies...
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Mogma
View Posts: 158

Cool, I have never played LA, I will look it up.

Tags
lozgood, storylines