Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2006, 02:42 PM
I lol you
View Posts: 2,539
BtR: Now Wii Know

Hi folks, pipking here.

Mirren, Lozzie, GDwarf and I bat around a few thoughts on Wii and Twilight Princess in our most recent Roundtable, Now Wii Know. Check it out, and sound off here.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Fabulous
Send a message via AIM to LegendofLex
View Posts: 20,982
Re: BtR: Now Wii Know

I sort of speed-read it--I've heard most of your lot's fanfares on each of the particular aspects--but I must say that having a Roundtable discussion was really the only way to pull this off. Major props for that.

One thing I would have to add--all things aside, the only thing dividing the two versions is the control scheme. You all mentioned this, I'm sure, but, despite giving the series a gameplay makeover, there is really no reason why TPWii should be worse than TP:GC. The control scheme only provides reasons why the game should be better. Sure, you'll get those critics of the auto-shielding, but, honestly, you're holding down a button to target anyway--there's not much of a problem in the fact that the shield button doubles as the targeting button.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipking
DS is responsible for renewed interest in the 'point and click' adventure genre, something that hasn't been relevent for ages. I tend to think of Super Mario Galaxy as Wii Jesus - everything I've read about it suggests it rethinks not just how to play a platformer, but what a platformer can be.
So true. It is this chunk right here that is the heart and soul of the Wii. And, hopefully, of TPWii as well.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Kokiri
Send a message via AIM to eFlare
View Posts: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipking
For all appearances, I think you can justifiably compare the Wii to the DS. For it's first year, the DS had very few worthwhile titles - until developers got comfortable with it's new take on the interface, and it's library started to shine with genuine innovation. Right now, the DS is unstoppable...
I agree, I think the first "batch" of Wii games will be games developed as practice for the Wii. Not so much for the gamers, although we all need some practice at first but, more for the developers. Similar to the DS the Wii features an innovative new control scheme which developers need to get used to. It will take some time before they realize the full potential and utilize all features.

Games such as Twilight Princess for the Wii have the advantage that they're Nintendo titles. Obviously Nintendo knows exactly what they can do with the Wiimote and thumb-chuck. For instance in an E3 demonstration of Twilight Process they demonstrated how the Wiimote actually features a speaker that creates a depth sound effect. When Link shoots an arrow, the sound of the arrow will start on the Wiimote speaker and fly towards your TV speakers. Not to mention the motion sensing capabilities of both the Wiimote and the thumb-chuck will save a lot of button pushing and creates a much more realistic connection between the gamer and the game. Bashing your shield against someone's head can be done with a button but, you can jolt your thumb-chuck forward to reach the same effect. Almost mimicking Link's action.

I am very excited about Twilight Prices on the Wii. I think it will be a great experience to play it with the Wii control scheme. As for the pricing, the Wiimote is indeed a little pricey. But, it's logical that a "innovative" piece of hardware is a little more expensive than let's say a Game Cube controller.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 65

Nice Roundtable; it made for some really interesting reading. I agree with most of what's been said within the discussion, so I don't have too much to add, unfortunately.

I'm planning on holding off on buying a Wii until a later time, though.. If Twilight Princess was to be a Wii-exclusive title, I may have had the incentive to buy the console immediately after its release. However, since it isn't, I'll be able to wait a while longer for the Gamecube version of the game.

Also, even though I'm fond the Wii's revolutionary aspects, I'm still slightly skeptical about how everything's going to work out. Therefore, I'll be waiting for others' opinions of how well the new controllers work with the game and such before I go for the TP Wii version.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Hylian
View Posts: 657

Why the funk can't I access Zelda Universe except for the forums?
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Hylian Knight
Send a message via AIM to Son Of Nabooru
View Posts: 624

Thats odd, did you check your cookies?

Cheers,

Joe

-Currently beating OoS Halfway through the game, 3-5 more days to go until completion.
- Majoras mask (Trying to get a PERFECT file, [/I]However Ive beaten this game many times before) Update- I refilled my bombers notebook, and only have two contacts to complete, close to perfection on the file.
-OoT (beaten before, However, Id like to make ANOTHER, perfect file). Update - May be able to recover my perfect file on the N64 version, maybe ending my perfection of OoT.
-Re-complete ALttP.
-Complete FSA Better finish it before PH comes out
-Complete and Perfect PH
-Perfect WW?

Tags
btr, wii