Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Zora Warrior
Send a message via Yahoo to jngeorge Send a message via Skype™ to jngeorge
View Posts: 365
Link's Sidekicks

First, why does Link need a sidekick? Second, why are they so annoying?
The only time Navi wasn't annoying was during the long lecture after you open the Door of Time. Tatl was annoying through the whole thing. Ezlo just stated the obvious. Post your ideas here.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2006, 01:13 PM
Ocarina Master Ocarina Master is a male United States Ocarina Master is offline
Ultimate Lurker
View Posts: 418
Re: Link's Sidekicks

You need a sidekick in the game so they can tell you the controls and remind you of things. They are the tutorial at the beginning of the game. The only reason they're so annoying is because after you've played the game a million times, you know everything, so the info they give you is usually useless.

The only sidekick I find annoying is Tatl, because of her terrible personality.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Zora Warrior

Sure Tatl has a terrible personality because she has helped the evil Skull Kid with his Thieving. But Ezlo and Navi are right up there on the annoying list with her...

Last Edited by jngeorge; 07-19-2006 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Don't GIVE people IDEAS, UNLESS you WANT RESULTS.
View Posts: 95
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jngeorge
Sure Tatl has a terrible personality because she has helped the evil Skull Kid with his Thieving...
Where did you get that from all I know is that Tatl and her Bro were sitting at the sidelines, Plus the Skull Kid is not evil he's just thought the gaints abondoned him, and Tatl and Co. came into the picture,then Majora took control over Skull Kid, and I don't have to tell the whole story

thanks to Picori Pi for the sweet sig!! I love it!
Thanks also to Ed6 for the avy
Any good comedy-lover/ Zelda Fanatic should come here
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/...ad.php?t=18564
Last Edited by Water Dragon; 07-19-2006 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Hylian
View Posts: 657

Hmm, well, it would be a little sad if you accidentally skipped a very important sentence someone told you, and no one could later tell you what to do.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2006, 01:45 PM
TLoR
View Posts: 465

they're not annoying if you aren't familiar with the zelda series. Long time fans get annoyed because they already know how to play most of the games and don't need people giving them so many instructions.

I guess people like Makar can be temporary sidekicks also....I thought he was cute, and helpful for flying around.

and not to be a position taker, but wouldn't this go with the most annoying zelda character topic?.... just a little
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 14

zelda sould have a sidekick be cause then the game would be much more fun.(but the creators would have to make the game much harder)
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2006, 05:36 PM
The Grammaton Cleric
Send a message via AIM to LisaMarie
View Posts: 217

Yeah...he definitaly doesnt need a side kick, I didnt like Navi or Tati, they were both irritating, but I guess they were kinda useful
-Edward Furlong, American history X
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time"
-Edward Norton, Fight Club
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 86

I'd love to see a Zelda game with no sidekicks, information on the control should be made like those Sharasrahla panels of ALTTP. One of the things that should be the ambient of the game is that you are alone to fight for Hyrule, and that if you fail, the Apocalipsis will come.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Axis Powers
View Posts: 2,443

Why does everyone hate Tatl? I liked Tatl better than Navi, I guess because Tatl actually talks other than giving hints.

Link needs sidekicks because they "help" him on his quest. Of course, telling you what to do is helpful. But if you ask me, they should fight enemies to help more. They're annoying because they think that you can't remember a thing.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2006, 06:43 PM
TLoR
View Posts: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andross
I don't know, I liked Navi, but didn't like Tatl...

Maybe the annoying aspects, as in constantly reminding the player, is supposed to make the game available to as many children as possible... That is probably why they put that in... For reminding, and help...

Also, I think Link's new "sidekick", Midna, will probably bring a bit of goodness to his collection of sidekicks. Her design is definitely something new, and she doesn't look very ridiculous... The design is actually pretty good, in my opinion.
yeah Midna can actually attack and not float around screaming instructions at you
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2006, 09:21 PM
It is difficult to be alive.
Send a message via Skype™ to Jodd
View Posts: 11,407

Think about the first Zelda game. I had no idea what I was doing. I wandered around for about an hour before I found the first dungeon, and I didn't know how to use my sword, or pause the game. I really wish Navi had been there to help me then.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Classic Old School Action
Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzie
View Posts: 9,468

You are thinking they are annoying because you are a Zelda player. You know the basics of every game, therefore you don't need to be told how to open a door, or swing your sword. But you have to remember, there are people out there who haven't played a Zelda game before. Therefore, they need to be taught how to play as well.

The same rings true in ANY adventure game. There is usually something in any game that helps you through the game.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Zora Warrior
Send a message via AIM to Link_fizzle
View Posts: 416

I don't think you even need Navi....or Tatl for that matter. My first Zelda game was TWW and I figured everything out on my own. If you really think about it, Zelda is not that hard to figure out all the controls. TWW Link has no side kicks, except for the king of Red Lions...but you don't see him till later in the game. So all throughout the beginning of the game (the part on Outset Island), you have to figure everything out yourself. And of course the other villagers tell you some stuff to help you out. To sum it all up, Link doesn't really need a sidekick. I just think Navi looks nice following Link around everywhere...for like decoration or something :O
Watch your actions, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."
-Anonymous
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2006, 08:13 AM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 54

Quote:
Navi looks nice following Link around everywhere...for like decoration or something :O
Same here. Even though she's annoying, I like her just being THERE to fly around Link's head and target enemies. I missed the fairies when I played WW...

-Legend of Link

My avatar was made by someone named stacynina from deviantART. Just thought I should credit them so I don't get sued...
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Zora Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodd
Think about the first Zelda game. I had no idea what I was doing. I wandered around for about an hour before I found the first dungeon, and I didn't know how to use my sword, or pause the game. I really wish Navi had been there to help me then.
Well, sure they can be helpful the first time they say something, but after that it is just plain annoying. You are crazy if you don't agree with me.

#17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Goron
View Posts: 389

LoZ: Old Man
AoL: NPCs
ALttP: Sahasrala, Maidens, & Fortune Teller
LA: Old Man Ultima(sp?) and Kaepora Gaebora
OoT: Navi & Kaepora Gaebora
MM: Tatl
OoS: Maku Tree
OoA: Maku Tree
FS: ???
tWW: King of Red Lions
FSA: Maidens and Kaepora Gaebora
tMC: Elzo
TP: Navi
PH: Fairy

Why does Link have sidekicks? Because wise creatures/people make excellent guides. It's just an aid. If you need more hints/help of where to go next, then you'd have to ask all the NPCs (pretty much). I guess this is Miyamoto's way of saying "Ask the elderly for help. They are never useless when it comes to information". Old people (Old Man, Sahasrala, Ultima, King of Red Lions, and Elzo) have lived for a long time, so they are bound to know some information. Fairies (Navi and Tatl) are the same as old people, since it is believe to be that they are immortal (when you can't die, what's better than travel the world and gain some knowledge?). Trees can become very old. Just imagine if trees could talk, what history they would tell us of the world (like the Deku tree, Maku Tree, and Ents of Lord of the Rings). In mythology Owls have always been seen as the symbol of intelligence and being wise creatures. Who better to help you on your quest than one that is "all knowing".

As for the maidens...who knows, they may be very wise, but we do know they are powerful/magical. What we have seen of them is this: They are great sources of information on what's happening in the present and where to go from there.

Signature & Avatar made by Hyrule's Signature Shop
Last Edited by Hush; 07-20-2006 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 63

The owl annoys me more than any of the other sidekicks... that jerk just never shuts up.
Sometimes you have to step in and alter the story of time. When the countless beings that roam this universe start talking of destruction or justice or freedom the carefully calculated balance we've established. Thats where we come in. We step in, correct the problem, and fade out. That is our purpose. - Creed of the Overseers
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 67

I don't mind the sidekicks too much. It's nice to know someone's with you.

I don't think Tatl or Ezlo are very annoying, though, I like their personalities. I'm just not very fond of Navi, with her annoying voice and hardly a personality.

Legend of Link is hilarious! Watch it here!
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Xeno

View Posts: 20,776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilus
TP: Navi
There is no Navi in TP (so far). The fairy you saw in the presentation of TP on the Wii is believed to just be a cursor (due to the fact that, well, it's used for a cursor =P). Midna seems to be Link's guide through the game. She is with Link in the Twilight Realm, and communicates with him in Hyrule, via his shadow (there is a scene where it shows exactly this).

Anyways (back on topic). Lozzie pretty much said it all. There is some form of a guide somewhere in every game. Not everyone knows about the Zelda series and how it works. It wouldn't be fair to make them play though a game without a guide (especially if it's someone generally new to video games).

Tags
link, sidekicks