Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Wandering Nomad
View Posts: 127
Female Zelda Fans

I don't mean to offend any girls out there, but don't you boys find it amazing when a girl likes Zelda. I know I do. Once, I spent an entire week of English lessons talking to this girl about Zelda. She has almost completed all the 2D games, and knows more about Zelda than my friend, a hardcore Nintendo (just not Zelda) fan. I know, he's weird. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience...
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Mixed feelings of elation
Send a message via AIM to Sentient
View Posts: 2,734
Re: Female Zelda Fans

I don't find it weird when I find a female Zelda fan, I find it weird when I find any Zelda fan! The reasons for this are that I've lived in two places, both of which the majority of people hate Nintendo and think that Sony and Microsoft are all holy (idiots!) and those that do loike Nintendo, haven't played Zelda.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 02:58 PM
The incidental artist!
Send a message via AIM to Iroas Send a message via Skype™ to Iroas
View Posts: 3,621

Nah, it aint weird..

It's awesome! I hope I fall in love with one, and merry her XD. It would be awesome to have a wife to play zelda with, and we'll have our own little zeldafangirl or -boy to raise XD

I'm gettin' freaky, aren't I?

EDIT: post# 500!!!
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Classic Old School Action
Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzie
View Posts: 9,461

Girls play video games? Since when?

Seriously, stereotyping sucks. There are many male cheerleaders and many girl gamers. Seriously, I don't understand why either is so taboo. It's who they are.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 04:34 PM
King of the Earth Fist
Send a message via AIM to lugeasilver
View Posts: 1,228

Hey, there still is the strong fact that the majority of the female population does not take plesure into video gaming. I have yhad to deal with that a lot over the years. Escpecialy with my girl now. She gets so pissed everyy time I mention the words "go" and "video game" in the same.....convesation! I have found it odd when I meet a girl zelda fan. It has only happened net wise. In person I have me girls who like kingdom heats but won't touch zelda. It makes me wanna cry. "What? No dear I'm not talking about games again!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikohesus View Post
It might be an opinion, but it isn't a valid one. It is impossible for SS's controls to feel "tacked on" or "forced".
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 04:37 PM
The incidental artist!
Send a message via AIM to Iroas Send a message via Skype™ to Iroas
View Posts: 3,621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzie
Girls play video games? Since when?

Seriously, stereotyping sucks. There are many male cheerleaders and many girl gamers. Seriously, I don't understand why either is so taboo. It's who they are.
Ahh, just chill Mr. Lozzie.. =)
This was never about stereotyping in the first place, not THAT many girls play videogames in comparison to guys anyway.

I think Shadow Link is just in some sort of "culture shock" when he found out this many girls play zelda.

now sssshhh before this becomes a topic about stereotyping and will have to be moved to serious discusion

EDIT: Or what lugeasilver said >_>
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 3

Im a girl. I love video games. not as much as some people.. but I have a few game series that I love. such as zelda, FF and GTA. my best friend is studying computer games design at university, she loves all the old skool sega games, like sonic etc. however, she is one of only 2 girls on the entire course! I guess it is a bit unusual for girls to love video games, but maybe that's changing.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Goron
View Posts: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugeasilver
Hey, there still is the strong fact that the majority of the female population does not take plesure into video gaming. I have yhad to deal with that a lot over the years. Escpecialy with my girl now. She gets so pissed everyy time I mention the words "go" and "video game" in the same.....convesation! I have found it odd when I meet a girl zelda fan. It has only happened net wise. In person I have me girls who like kingdom heats but won't touch zelda. It makes me wanna cry. "What? No dear I'm not talking about games again!"
oh man, i share your pain...my gf hates video games to an extreme but wants to kill me everytime i MENTION LoZ. Tis very sad...ive been a ZeldaFreak since i was born and she is killing my beloved art...well, i know some hardcore gaming women, but not many that enjoy zelda..the world needs more ZELDA LOVERS!!! (now dont get any converting ideas people, when something starts trying to convert others it gets corrupted and isnt as pure)
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 05:32 PM
SageOfMusic SageOfMusic is a female United States SageOfMusic is offline
Sheikah
Send a message via AIM to SageOfMusic
View Posts: 358

I don't find it weird at all guys! 'Cause I'm a girl and I love video games and Zelda! I don't see the big deal really, I mean I can play just as well as any guy out there.... But I do see you guys' point here, I don't know many other girls who like to play Zelda much less video games either...So I see where you are coming from with that. Maybe I like it because I grew up with guys and all....HaHa..ahem, but anyway, there's room for us gurls in Zelda too you know!
"Time passes, people move. Like a river's flow, it never ends. A childish mind will turn to noble ambition. Young love will become deep affection. The clear water's surface reflects growth. Now listen to the Serenade of water to reflect upon yourself." (Sheik)
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 05:50 PM
UneBelleLilas UneBelleLilas is a female United States UneBelleLilas is offline
There's a party in my tummy, so yummy, so yummy!
View Posts: 821

I don't think it's weird that girls like Zelda. I mean, the whole storyline of the series totally appeals to women more - innocent princess gets kidnapped by evil man, hot boy goes after her and saves the world. Soo romantic! Hell, that's the main reason why I liked it so much when I was a young'un, it was such a magical and happy fairytale to me.

Now what I find strange when it comes to girls liking certain video games, is war games like Call of Duty or strategy war games. None of my female friends have the skills or attention span to play those.

I'm in the house.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Whee! I just saw Link walk by my window!
View Posts: 516

Who says that girls don't like playing Zelda? Okay, so the main hero is always male. But so? Who cares? I'm a girl and I totally love Zelda. Anybody got a problem with that????

Official Friend code for Mario Kart DS!
Nickname: ちょうちょう ひかり
081671 600024

I'm on pretty much every day, around 7:30am - 9:30am for AC and 8:30pm - 9:30pm for MK.
PM me if you're thinking of visting my town/wanting to race!

Games I want: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Party 8, Pokémon Battle Revolution, and Wario Ware: Smooth Moves.
1 person liked this post: Esalia
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Amanda Mullins
View Posts: 10,905

Meh, I think one reason why some of you guys may not come across too many female Zelda fans is that they are just too chicken to admit it. Belive it or not, there are quite a good amount of girls out there who do play it. They just don't wanna admit it, at fear of being shunned out of the more 'feminine steryotype'.

But its kinda funny to see a guys reaction whenever they are talking about video games and I but in and say, "Oh yeah, I've played that game." They look at me like I have horns on my head. Haha, ah well. Its to be expected, and I understand that.

Although most girls I know who like Zelda aren't really serious about it. They just like it because of Link. >_>

my website | deviantart | tumblr | zu art thread | blogger || avy/sig art © Amanda Mullins

hey hinkle-vinkle, eat ze armpit ja!?
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 05:57 PM
BigGoronSword BigGoronSword is a male Dominican Republic BigGoronSword is online now
King of the Gorons
Send a message via AIM to BigGoronSword Send a message via Yahoo to BigGoronSword

View Posts: 11,148

To be completely honest, I've only met three females in my whole entire life that are Zelda fans (and two of them are over 35 years old...that's even more rare). Honestly, nothing against women playing video games (just take a look at ZU, there are many), however, you just don't hear girls talking about them (every so often). I'll tell you about the three females:

Woman #1: She's the mother to one of my best friends that actually introduced me to the world of Zelda. My best friend's name is Matt, and her name is Shelly (I think). Anywho, Shelly had four sons, Matt was her third, and at often times, whatever hobby they shared, the mother was into it aswell. Everyone in that family had different tastes in video games, but there was one series that they call all agree on. Could you guess which one that would be?

Woman #2: Anna. She's my favorite adult female friend. She was a teacher at my Elementary School (but I was in Middle School, so I never saw her), but later on, she left, and got a job at the High School I was about to go to (as the Assistant Head of the Comp Tech Team). Anywho, just like Shelly, Anna had a son that was interested in video games. Now, he wasn't all that interested in The Legend of Zelda, but she was. From the last time I've chatted with her, she's played LoZ, AoL, ALttP, and LA. It's quite obvious she likes the 2D games, but I don't know if she has ever felt confidant enough to play any of the 3D ones.

Woman #3: Louissa. Long story short. Girl I met in highschool, we got into a conversation that somehow lead from Lord of the Rings to video games. Once she mentioned "DDR", I was curious to ask her what other games she likes. She mentioned that she loved ALttP and LA (the only Zelda games she's played).

I hate stereotypes aswell, however, it's a refreshing feeling when you meet a girl that has something in common with you, like sports, mechanics, video games, computers (assembling, not playing), etc.. I remember watching an old video showing the ratio of women to men on interests on computers. The ratio was one out of one thousand.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekuQueen
Meh, I think one reason why some of you guys may not come across too many female Zelda fans is that they are just too chicken to admit it.
(Back when I was I shy little lad in high school) Heck, I used to be chicken to admit it to guys sometimes. All the guys ever played were Halo, or some Hockey/Football/Racing game. I liked Racing games, but that's the only thing I had in common with them.

Oh, and I forgot three more beautiful ladies to add onto my list: Britney, Lauren, and Saka. Britney is very into mythical creatures and things, so her (and her boyfriend) got into it. Lauren...ok, maybe not a Zelda fan, but she liked Soul Calibur 2 (She always played as Talim, and I as Link....she was good. Very good). Saka. Saka was (by far) one of the coolest girls I've ever met (aside from UneBelleLilas and sadida, but I haven't met them offline, so I guess they don't count). She loved sports, she loved video games, and computers. I would have asked her out, but, she was taken at the time.

-BGS

[ZeldaWiki][Forum Mods][Rules][ZUChat][Newbie Guide]
"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans"-Van Zant
Giving up means you're willing to live with how things are-BGS
Last Edited by BigGoronSword; 03-06-2006 at 06:07 PM. Reason:
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Rocker
View Posts: 394

Well, I don't see why people would think it's strange for a girl to like Zelda... I know of two girls who like Zelda, out of about... ehh... five or six girls that I know, and one of them has only played the first and second games.

Well, I wouldn't call it unusual, just about all the girls in my class like to play football, so it's kind of like that... I know this one girl who loves to play football, and is a real tomboy (no offense to anyone). That's the kind if girl I'd like to meet; One who will go outside, play some ball with our kids, or play video games with them. That's probably how I'll be. I couldn't persuade my parents to play a video game on their life, except my dad, who does it, oh... three times a year?
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 11:34 PM
England Noob
View Posts: 1,426

To the contrary, I've met more girls who liked Zelda than boys. In fact, I don't think I've ever been face to face with a Zelda playing guy. Maybe things are opposite in Canada lol.

I only wish I could meet a guy who found my fondness of Zelda and video games attractive, and not weird. Stereotypes suck.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Descendant of Villainy
Send a message via ICQ to Polychrome Send a message via AIM to Polychrome Send a message via Yahoo to Polychrome
View Posts: 693

I don't think you're going to find much of a trend at all. I have memories of a friend in middle school with her NES, and her collection of Zelda games that seemed to always be on top of her stack 'o carts. She wasn't exactly the geeky type either. It was simply what she preferred to play.

Though I can say easily from a girl's point of view, that if you're trying to figure out how girls meet the stereotype in this mess, look at the games in question. At least 3 of the 3D games star cute little kiddos. (Sheesh, you should have heard me and a friend going through Wind Waker lately... "Awwwww, he's so cute when he's causing massive death and destruction!") Many of the 2D character designs are Chibi-ish, and the original "drawn" look of the first Link looked like a plush doll. Even Twilight Princess Link sports this goofy grin that just makes us want to go "Awwwwww!"
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Classic Old School Action
Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzie
View Posts: 9,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo_Gego
To the contrary, I've met more girls who liked Zelda than boys. In fact, I don't think I've ever been face to face with a Zelda playing guy. Maybe things are opposite in Canada lol.

I only wish I could meet a guy who found my fondness of Zelda and video games attractive, and not weird. Stereotypes suck.
quoted for truth... Things are backwards in Canada...

I still think i haven't met a Zelda fan (in real life, because I know this place is crawling with Zelda fans, and I don't count andi, because I met her here ).
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-07-2006, 01:29 AM
Heavy Milk Drinker
View Posts: 247

Heh, heh, I'm a girl and not many people in my class know what Zelda is, and even if they do it's usally something their brother played, But 3 of my friends own consoles, two xboxs and a playstation, but the ones who own the x-box both own halo and splinter cell, and when they see zelda it's a garenteed "Awww, it's so cute" but it's kinda weird, they both buy games because they look good on the cover...Weird isn't it...

Yay Flavoured milk *pokes*
Charaters drawn by the Lovely Winter Cub...
PM me if you want to become friends,
Loving TP at the moment
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-07-2006, 02:37 AM
The "Fake Zelda HD Screenshots" guy
View Posts: 1,509

I actually heard a lot of supermodels are into video games...

It's pretty cool when I meet a female Zelda player.

Does my little cousin count? She loves playing Wind Waker, even if the only thing she ever does in the game is cut all the grass on Outset Island, go inside a building, and then do it all again...
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-07-2006, 02:51 AM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 94

I know only a few who play Zelda games in my school. But reciently I'm finding more and more people in my home town that are familiar with it. It makes me happy.^^

Adopted by Shadow_Link3312

Sig. made by me.^^
Closed Thread

Tags
fans, female, zelda