#101 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Ram the Blade Ship.
Steam ID: Dvernon

View Posts: 2,203
Re: Behind the Rupees: Silence, Patience, and Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik 84
You also overrate the genius of WW's characters. Medli was just your cliched "I'll do my best", "I'm sorry", "I'll do the right thing" anime character. I don't remember Makar saying much. The only one I'll give you is Ganondorf, who was clearly more developed in WW.
TWW's cast didn't have the same sort of charisma that OoT's cast had, but I would say that the writing for the characters has improved from OoT to TWW (for instance, the dialogue has less heavy exposition and more personality in it). And TP's writing, from what little bits I've seen of it in the demo, seems to be improving on TWW's, with characters that are a little less cliched and a little more genuine. In general I'd say the writing in TWW>the writing in MM>the writing in OoT. And most likely the writing for the 3D Zeldas will continue improving with TP.
And I have to add that Ganondorf and Daphnes were exceptional characters, on the same level as Marin in terms of depth and genuineness. (Not to mention all the symbolism and themes associated with them.)
  #102 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 04:37 PM
10 years is here!!
View Posts: 12,273

Quote:
Originally posted by Lozzie
I wasn't talking about you. It's like a handicap match of Tigerboi and Mirren v. Shiek and the world...
What are you talking about? I can take 'em all!

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiek 84
If you saw the pictures, I think you'd see why your quote is ridiculous. You said something to effect of "God knows what they did with OoT" referring to the time they spent during the delay. My pictures clearly show that OoT in its early form looked hideous, or if you somehow liked it or thought it was a "truer representation of Zelda", then at the very least, much different. Substantially different. So different, that implying that they worked on nothing during the delay is ridiculous. Which is what you did. I don't think I can make it much clearer (though it would certainly help if my pictures showed up).

OoT changed a great deal over its development time. Much more than TP will. They were still tweaking the system that would yield (to this point) four 3D Zelda games.
No duh it ended up looking better, but to me, that's where they put the greatest attention. The AI still sucked, the dungeons were filled with nothing but easy puzzles and pretty much no action whatsoever, and most of the game is pretty much one similar sequence after another.

That's my biggest gripe about OoT, because it was the same thing over and over; head to a new territory, figure out some quest, and go into the temple. Repeat cycle.

It almost never changed. Yeah, OoT had some damn-good sidequests, but when the gameplay is the same thing for practically eight dungeons in a row, it gets kind of old. That's what I like so much about MM and WW, that they strayed away from that repeated mission that OoT and almost all of the old-school Zeldas had. They at least gave you variety in what you did; they forced side-quests onto you in the middle of your quests to go the next dungeon, or to next pearl, or to the next Triforce shard etc.
A high fantasy book that doesn't switch character perspective every chapter? That doesn't feature done-to-the-death Elves, Dwarves and Orcs, but brand new races? And is heavily inspired by The Legend of Zelda? You might want to check it out! Kindle version only $.99, print version OUT NOW
Last Edited by Jeff; 03-06-2006 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #103 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Previously lord-of-shadow
Send a message via AIM to Max Nichols
View Posts: 8,081

Guys. We have other topics for debating the merits of OoT. Don't do it here.

If you have nothing else on-topic to say, then don't say anything.

I will say, you guys have fired me up; I feel like talking about OoT now. Perhaps I'll write an article on that next. Then you can argue to your heart's content.
  #104 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Optimistic.
View Posts: 1,632

I'll say it again, wasn't this thread made to discuss LOS' article? I mean it's great to have a few debates but like Lozzie said, I'm seeing this all around the Zelda board. Let's just let go of our differences and move forward on the subject. I've decided to do that a long time ago and I'm much happier.

Proud Member of Farore Clan!
  #105 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Knight of Skyloft
View Posts: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirren
No duh it ended up looking better, but to me, that's where they put the greatest attention.
Uh no, Nintendo didn't put their greatest attention on the graphics. I think you are confusing OoT with TWW. In Ocarina of Time, Nintendo spent most of there time improving the battle system, adding Z-targeting, more weapons, improving temples and areas, adding minigames, and biggest of all, adding the entire Child Link scenario. During the delays, Nintendo also changed the story and characters several times as well. Ocarina of Time went through drastic changes, and not just in the graphics.
Quote:
The AI still sucked, the dungeons were filled with nothing but easy puzzles and pretty much no action whatsoever, and most of the game is pretty much one similar sequence after another.
When Zelda OoT first came out, everyone was talking about how hard the puzzles were and how difficult the Water Temple was. It seems easy now that we have all beat it several times, but it was very challenging to most at first.
Quote:
That's my biggest gripe about OoT, because it was the same thing over and over; head to a new territory, figure out some quest, and go into the temple. Repeat cycle.
Umm... can you name a Zelda game where you don't do that? Zelda is about exploring and going through dungeons. Seriously, if you are gonig to rip on OoT for that, then you may as well say the entire series is like that. I would also like to state that in each temple in Ocarina of Time, you got a different feeling. I mean, when I was playing in the Forest Temple, it felt like an entirely different game than when I played the Shadow or Spirit Temples. I think the dungeons/temples has much variety to them in Ocarina of Time. This was also true in Majora's Mask, but in all the other Zelda games, all the dungeons feel the same.

Quote:
It almost never changed. Yeah, OoT had some damn-good sidequests, but when the gameplay is the same thing for practically eight dungeons in a row, it gets kind of old. That's what I like so much about MM and WW, that they strayed away from that repeated mission that OoT and almost all of the old-school Zeldas had. They at least gave you variety in what you did; they forced side-quests onto you in the middle of your quests to go the next dungeon, or to next pearl, or to the next Triforce shard etc.
Ocarina of Time is not as linear as you think. I believe it is the only Zelda game where you didn't have to beat any of the Temples in order. In both Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker, you have to beat the temples/dungeons in order. Yes, The Wind Waker forced you to explore between dungeons, but that was only done because the game would have felt incredibly short if they didn't. Same with Majora's Mask. In Ocarina of Time, the length of the game was fine and there was no reason for the game to MAKE you explore. It was optional, which I find cool because it shows how un-linear Ocarina of Time is.

Anyways, to get on topic. Nice article Lord-of-Shadow. It is very true and I pretty much agree with all of it.

Last Edited by Thaizilian; 03-06-2006 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #106 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Playing a song on my ocarina
View Posts: 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord-of-shadow
I will say, you guys have fired me up; I feel like talking about OoT now. Perhaps I'll write an article on that next. Then you can argue to your heart's content.
I'd love to see that- I love reading the articles here and at Zelda Legends. Can't tell you how much darn time I've spent reading them and thinking about the subject at hand.
  #107 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Link, The fierce deity of vengence
View Posts: 27

Is it just me or has my hype for twilight princess dropped ever since nintendo delayed it? I feel this way because I was so anticipated for this game, now that it got delayed, I feel like it will never get release. I bet I'm the only person that fell's this way.
Patience is something that can be nothing but perfect. If no one have patience, we may not have a world today. Never forget that having patience will set you a step further to realizing what life really means. (By Link340)
  #108 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Knight of Skyloft
View Posts: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by link340
Is it just me or has my hype for twilight princess dropped ever since nintendo delayed it? I feel this way because I was so anticipated for this game, now that it got delayed, I feel like it will never get release. I bet I'm the only person that fell's this way.
The hype was lost during these 7 months without any info on the game. Pisses me off. I mean, I want the game now, but I was more hyped last year when we actually got updates, info, screens, and trailers monthly almost.

#109 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-07-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaizilian
The hype was lost during these 7 months without any info on the game. Pisses me off. I mean, I want the game now, but I was more hyped last year when we actually got updates, info, screens, and trailers monthly almost.
Maybe your right. It's safe to know that at least I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Patience is something that can be nothing but perfect. If no one have patience, we may not have a world today. Never forget that having patience will set you a step further to realizing what life really means. (By Link340)
  #110 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 4

I've also felt this way. Not only is the supposed "hype" I had for this game truly lost, chances are that we won't hear many details of the game until it releases. Need I remind you that, if nintendo decides, Twilight Princess will be making it's 4th E3 appearance. I don't believe anyone wants to see anymore video footage or trailers for two reasons: 1)The trailers and footage will seem a bit boring seeing as how we've seen it all too many times before. 2)They've reached their limit of footage to unveil so that we can grasp the general idea of gameplay and settings. If they show anymore, it will most definately contain spoilers in the plot and so forth. I believe the Revolution will have the spotlight this time around regardless. On a more positive note, take these 7-8 months to better prepare yourself for the experience! Meaning purchasing HD TV's and Surround Sound bundles, it will truly be an experience worth enhancing.
  #111 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-07-2006, 11:51 PM

You forget that revolution will not support hdtv. So if you purchased it then you will be purchasing for nothing.
  #112 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by link340
You forget that revolution will not support hdtv. So if you purchased it then you will be purchasing for nothing.
I'm sorry for the confusion. I meant buying HDTV's for Twilight Princess. But even so, are you saying that If you purchase an HDTV then the revolution's graphics won't be effected at all?
  #113 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-08-2006, 10:11 PM

I'm saying that it won't make a difference if you buy a hdtv for the revolution because it's like buying a regular tv. The revolution will not support high definition.......
  #114 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Banned User
View Posts: 1,572

I'm happy that they delayed it once more. The bigger the game, the longer the wait. But that will not be the case if this delay is just because they wanted to make it Revolution compatiable, or partly because of that. I'll be annoyed if that is the case, if not - it's good. I'd get it anyway. I'm really glad it didn't come out in November 2005 (the original release date), that game would've been half shorter and worser than the new one today.
  #115 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Descendant of Villainy
Send a message via ICQ to Polychrome Send a message via AIM to Polychrome Send a message via Yahoo to Polychrome
View Posts: 693

I suppose I'm the only one who would be happy about them adding next-gen goodies. Oh well.
  #116 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Deku Scrub
Send a message via AIM to The_Noumenon
View Posts: 10

On the contrary Polychrome, I would like to see some goodies on the Revolution as well. I believe I posted before that I hope it gets pushed to the Revolution. Of course it would be best if they made it for both systems, but, who knows what they're doing? Besides, another plus to the delay is that it gives more time to those of us who have the games on reserve at EB games. I wouldn't have had enough time to get the money had it come out last November, but now I have plenty of time to save!

Just trying to look at things in a positive light.
  #117 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 10
What to do during the wait.

Here is something to think about during the long painful delay/development process of any great game comming out soon....

Try playing past games of that franchise.
-You will apreciate the new game more playing the games of that franchise from the past.
eg. Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Original Zelda, Link to the past, ect.

Try looking for new games in the mean time.
-Zelda is not the only game comming out, there are otheres that are also worth your money if yoiu also have an intrest in them.
eg Mario Smash Football (Super Mario Strikers (in USA))
But also be careful of impulse buying. Don't overspend your money.

Write Fanfiction.
-The best way to imagine a new game comming out is to write about what you think will happen, even if you get it wrong it is still a good past time that saves money.

Well that is all TBone has to say.
  #118 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-10-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polychrome
I suppose I'm the only one who would be happy about them adding next-gen goodies. Oh well.
Well I'm not to happy if they delayed it for that because it's not like everybody will buy a revolution for this add-on ....
  #119 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 33

Beautiful, Inspiring even.

I completely agree with everything said. Twilight Princess is coming to you as an individual. It will be their to satisfy your Gaming Adventure tastes and yours only. It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks of the game. It is well and truly coming to all of us individually.
I tried to love you but you ran away,
And as I thought about it more and more,
I figured I should stop playing Pac-Man...
  #120 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Goron
Send a message via AIM to zelda87
View Posts: 151

I think that was a beautiful piece of work Lord-of-shadow.I absolutely enjoyed it. And your points truly alleviated my impatience and I can't wait to see how great TP will turn out. Whenever I get furious and childish, I will think of your article because it shows how anything will turn out better in the end and how we'll all thank ourselves later for waiting for a great result. Just like a pearl being formed, perfection takes time and understanding.

Thanks Aloney and Altamira for my tight sig.
Triforks!
I have been adopted by Brolik der Führer, huzzah!
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature
PM me, i need friends!
my friends are Geostigma,Icefang, Ryshu, and Hylianswordsman

Tags
faith, patience, rupees, silence