Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 2
Link Zelda Connection

I am still a newbe at the whole forum thing but I have one main question. How are Link and Zelda related? I have heard alot of rumors of how they are bother and sister. If someone could cofirm it or tell me that they are not I would be greatly aprrective.
Last Edited by Lt_Tac; 10-12-2005 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Ganon's Bane
View Posts: 5,783
Re: Link Zelda Connection

They are not related in any way, other than that in some games they are friends.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Sage of Wisdom
Send a message via AIM to Frost Guardian
View Posts: 3,082

So far, there hasn't been a game that has said they are related by blood in any form. But people have speculated about this but the fact remains there isn't really canon to prove this. I personally don't think they are related.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Goron
View Posts: 225

I beleive they were related in Oot because link has no parents, and zelda doesnt have a mom. The deku tree said links mom brought him to the forest. Or something like that.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-13-2005, 10:09 AM
Banned User
View Posts: 30,568

I can tell they were defidently NOT related. Zelda's mom probably died in the war between the races sometime after she was born. Link's father probably died too, leaving his mother to have no choice but to bring Link into the forest where it was safe. She died from being injured afterwards. now this makes a lot of sense.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Sheikah
View Posts: 514

I believe they were not related. I believe that Zelda's mother died while Zelda was young, but not too young. Like about 7 or something. Now, i reckon Links father was a palace soldier, and died during the war. Links mother died bringing him to the forest, confirming her death.

Kaze-one made this for me. Isn't it great?
Member of the Nayru clan of Wisdom.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Blacktastic!
View Posts: 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleIce
I beleive they were related in Oot because link has no parents, and zelda doesnt have a mom. The deku tree said links mom brought him to the forest. Or something like that.
So you're saying they both have the same mom? Why would the Queen take Link to the forest and just leave Zelda? She wouldn't. Plus (in the manga, OMG!), Link's mother was a servant to the Queen and his father was a knight/soldier. Mystery solved. Case closed.

Miho (MegaTokyo)

Thanks for the awesome sig, V99. Here's an Internet cookie! ( ^_^)>@
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 2

Thank you guys I had heard a lot of stuff. Like how only the royal family or soon to become members of the royal family could have triforces. But I will go with the magna what the manga says is proabley right.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Sage of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasuke-kun
So you're saying they both have the same mom? Why would the Queen take Link to the forest and just leave Zelda? She wouldn't. Plus (in the manga, OMG!), Link's mother was a servant to the Queen and his father was a knight/soldier. Mystery solved. Case closed.
Link could be a bastard son. In the context of illegitimite, of course.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-14-2005, 08:32 AM
Goron
View Posts: 207

they might be related but I don't think so...Well they have the sam hair color and both are brave but still...well he might be related to terra from Wind waker...link has a statue of him..think he was a king and marry Zelda?
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Banned User
View Posts: 30,568

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasuke-kun
Wait a minute! Back up! We don't atcually have any real proof that Link's father was a Hylian soldier. We don't have any proof that Link's mother was a servant to the queen either(Where'd you get an idea like that any way?).
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly
Wait a minute! Back up! We don't atcually have any real proof that Link's father was a Hylian soldier. We don't have any proof that Link's mother was a servant to the queen either(Where'd you get an idea like that any way?).
From the manga...
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Goron
View Posts: 207

true..the manga always include stuff that games always seems to miss in order for us to confuse...and to buy manga..
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Hylian Knight
View Posts: 901

Are you referring to that OoT comic? Because that's not a manga. The official JAPANESE manga by Akira Himekawa, however, was made in co-operation with Nintendo and therefore (I'm aiming this at those who think it's not canon) everything that isn't contradicted in the game should be considered canon.

According the manga Link's parents lived in a castle that's NOT Hyrule Castle. Ever noticed the ruins in the field? I believe they lived in a kingdom south of Zelda's father's kingdom before he unified Hyrule. They might even be King and Queen.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Sage of Wisdom

Since when was the manga/comic confirmed to be part of the continuity? I know I didn't heart about that. We can only make assumptions should that be the case anyway.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Blacktastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost Guardian
Since when was the manga/comic confirmed to be part of the continuity? I know I didn't heart about that. We can only make assumptions should that be the case anyway.
This might be a stupid question, but by continuity do you mean timeline? If so, I don't know, but I don't think they'd need to be. They're just retellings of the stories, so it's basically the same thing. But they are 100% official (Miyamoto even told them what to put in the comics).

Miho (MegaTokyo)

#17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Sage of Wisdom

Yeah. I mean the same thing. But usually, I've gotten the impression that comics and manga take liberties with stories and well, add elements to the story that aren't fitting into the actual well, continuity of it, for the lack of a better word. An example would be Star Wars. Lucas approves of them and all those expanded works, but I don't remember him saying that it fit into the canon.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Blacktastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost Guardian
Yeah. I mean the same thing. But usually, I've gotten the impression that comics and manga take liberties with stories and well, add elements to the story that aren't fitting into the actual well, continuity of it, for the lack of a better word. An example would be Star Wars. Lucas approves of them and all those expanded works, but I don't remember him saying that it fit into the canon.
Mainly what I think is that you can go to the manga for stuff that isn't cleared up in the games (Link's parents for instance), but if something in the manga is in direct conflict with what's in the game, you automatically go with what's in the game, since it came first (Volvagia's origins: In the manga he was Link's pet/best friend; in the game he's an ancient demon).

Miho (MegaTokyo)

#19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 81

I've flitted backwards and forwards with the sibling relationship between the two (only in Ocarina of Time, mind you) for a while - all because the first (possibly second) time you talk to the ghost of Sharp the Elder he tells Link:

"I don't know why, but when I look at you I am reminded of Princess Zelda"

Plus Impa's whole, "only royal family members are taught this song" bit... made me think "Hmmm...", and we know that Shigsy likes Star Wars, at least I'm sure I read it somewhere...

I was also certain for a long time that I came across a gossip stone that said that Zelda's mother had gone missing in a war years ago, but I recently did a clean sweep of all the gossip stones and it's not there, so I must have dreamt it up. Weird.

Currently I'm of the mind that they weren't brother and sister - maybe the comment made by the Sharp ghost was just a little in-joke given the whole thing that went down with the "Link, Zelda is your..." in ALTTP.

Actually, come to think of it, I've not spoken with that ghost in ages, I might have imagined that dialog as well... though I can't think I'd just randomly make something like that up.

This is where playing videogames too late into the night gets you.

As for the Manga - if it had anything in direct conflict with the game, then I'd tend to think that it can all be taken with a pinch of salt. If it was canon then there would be no conflict with the game at all surely?
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Blacktastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulicus
I've flitted backwards and forwards with the sibling relationship between the two (only in Ocarina of Time, mind you) for a while - all because the first (possibly second) time you talk to the ghost of Sharp the Elder he tells Link:

"I don't know why, but when I look at you I am reminded of Princess Zelda"
Yes, because we all know that when people look like one another, they're automatically related.

Quote:
Plus Impa's whole, "only royal family members are taught this song"
So, Impa's a member of the royal family now? She knows the song.

Quote:
Currently I'm of the mind that they weren't brother and sister - maybe the comment made by the Sharp ghost was just a little in-joke given the whole thing that went down with the "Link, Zelda is your..." in ALTTP.
"Zelda is your...destiny." (Japanese version of ALttP) Just for the people who constantly use this quote for evidence of their siblinghood.

Quote:
Actually, come to think of it, I've not spoken with that ghost in ages, I might have imagined that dialog as well... though I can't think I'd just randomly make something like that up.
No, you're right. That ghost says it. And actually, I had thought I had dreamed up some of the conversations with those ghosts, too. They were talking about researching the triforce, I think, and the royal family, but I could never get them to say it again. So, I just forgot about it, until I found a text dump that had what I'd heard. I was happy; I really wasn't crazy!

Quote:
As for the Manga - if it had anything in direct conflict with the game, then I'd tend to think that it can all be taken with a pinch of salt. If it was canon then there would be no conflict with the game at all surely?
Not necessarily. They're going to change some stuff like that to make it more interesting/not so boring. For instance, we know that Mido didn't go in the Forest Temple with Link, it was changed to make it more interesting, even if it is directly conflicting. Same with the Volvagia thing and cutting down the time it takes to get through the dungeons. Plus, why would you want the exact same thing (the game) in book form?

Miho (MegaTokyo)

Tags
connection, link, zelda