Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#81 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2012, 11:57 AM
doo dee doo
View Posts: 831
Re: What gives you the shivers in Zelda games?

Skulltulas in SS (they would come after meeee!!) and both the Shadow Temple music from OoT and the Ikana Valley music from MM. The Forest Temple music was a little bit creepy too, with a voice like Link's going "huh huh huh". Oh yeah, and Link's Elegy of Emptiness statue. What the heck were the developers thinking when they designed that thing? lol
Last Edited by lulles; 06-01-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: FlyingSombrero
  #82 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-01-2012, 07:57 PM
HylianHeroine HylianHeroine is a female United Kingdom HylianHeroine is offline
"I'm the bloody Queen, mate. Basically, I rule."
Steam ID: Steam? What, pray tell, is "Steam"?
View Posts: 462

It was always the well underneath Kakariko. I got in and left ASAP.

Dead Hands and ReDeads too.
  #83 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2012, 05:50 PM
The only Portuguese around
Steam ID: Eldirish
View Posts: 1,279
Unhappy

In OOT (adult link) in ganons castle you can walk up that place where you neded to climb the vines...
Theres a skull a lance and an armor just layng there.

Now tell me...who are you?Friend.

I got Steam, now! yay

BA Character(s):
Eldír son of Arrondír

My 3DS Friend Code:5112-3988-8347
  #84 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-03-2012, 06:04 PM
View Posts: 1,539

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijuliaa View Post
Oh lawd, I just realized they haven't been in a modern Zelda game since MM. Ooooopsies.
Ewww, if Zelda U is aiming to be realistic-looking, Like-Likes will be so much more disgusting if they make a return.
I always thought those carnivorous plant traps in the Twilight Princess Forest Temple were supposed to be referencing Like-Likes. You know those things you need bombs to get rid of them. There are only three of them in the whole game.
  #85 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Moon Cultist
View Posts: 241

Hm, this is a tough one. Part of what I love about the series is its dark undertones (or not so 'under', in some cases).

For starters, I'd have to say the whole concept of Termina but especially Ikana. Link's Awakening kind of messed with my head, too (especially the Face Shrine sequence). I guess the idea of a whole world/dimension being completely doomed bothers me.

A lot of things that give me the shivers are a result of my own theorizing, though. For example, I always imagine that the Hyrule Field music at night in Twilight Princess is Malon's ghost since it's probably where the ranch's remains would be and the vocal part that sounds like Malon is more prominent while you're on horseback.
Last Edited by Testament; 06-04-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #86 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staarsgazer View Post
Silent Realms 100%!!! Not just shivering, the places make me SHAKE. My hands are shaking uncontrollably when I either beat it or get caught (and later rage quit for a few days.)

I have to agree. It makes me so nervous.
  #87 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Cogitative Proxy Cogitative Proxy is a male United States Cogitative Proxy is offline
Mogma
View Posts: 160

Redeads never really scared me for some reason. I always hated the Floormasters/Wallmasters/whatever you call them.

-Eleanor Roosevelt

"Envy is ignorance, Imitation is suicide."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #88 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Moon Cultist
What creeps you out in LoZ?

I'm not necessarily talking about the things that are obviously MEANT to be outright scary. No one will argue that things like the ReDeads, Dead Hand, and Tingle are intentionally creepy (though if you're extraordinarily terrified of them, feel free to try to discern why). I mean things that scare you to a disproportional extent. Things that shouldn't creep you out as much as they do, or you can't put your finger on why they're so disturbing to you.

For me, Odolwa comes to mind first. I'm not sure why he strikes a chord with me, but it's this weird and primal fear. I get slight chills when I have to fight him, especially when he starts dancing and chanting almost incoherently (though he's apparently saying 'We shall fight!' at some points, but there are a lot of equally unsettling guesses--maybe it's a subliminal-scare). I think the fact that he's very humanoid is a factor. All of MM's bosses are a bit 'off' but the effect might be pronounced with him since he's the first.

This is fairly relevant, but don't worry about cross posting.
1 person liked this post: Blak
  #89 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Knight of Cyndonia
View Posts: 187

The duck bird things that steal your stuff in Majoras Mask are pretty creepy.
  #90 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Glorious Leader
Steam ID: mister_blak
View Posts: 1,252

Am I allowed to say Ben?

Ben.
2 people liked this post: TomPJaks, Zeldanerd5
  #91 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 16

I would say of the bosses, Koloktos is particularly creepy. Happy Mask salesman is up there. Guardians of the Silent Realm kinda creep me out too.
  #92 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Puppetmaster
View Posts: 2,836

The part from OoT during Biggoron-quest where you talk to the kokiri girl and she says that the guy has become a stalfos and she asks if Link is going to become one too. I don't know... Something about that is so creepy.

From MM the moonchildren is definitely amongst the creepiest. Their replies may look innocent but there is a dark undertone in everything they say. It's something psychological about it.

Gyorg has always made me feel uneasy as well. I had a really hard time beating him the first time and I tended to feel helpless down there in the water.
Same goes for Bongo bongo, he's not hard now when I know exactly what to do but... Still....
Last Edited by Miss Poe; 06-21-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Testament
  #93 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 08:06 PM
I am a Red Mage
Steam ID: P13B0T
View Posts: 1,351

ReDeads, they are trying to rape you!

But nevermind the ReDeads, I guess when Fado (the girl on the catwalk) tries to push you to death, that seems a bit creepy ...

#94 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Hylian Knight
View Posts: 1,302

The N64 Wallmasters, the terror I feel from them is improper from a videogame, if I fail to kill them in the first attempt I craze out and rush to turn off the console.

And if they grab me, I just PARALYZE from fear... and the rush to turn off the console.
Last Edited by The Fanatic of Zelda; 06-21-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
4 people liked this post: BronyofTime, EternaLegend, Miss Poe, Zeldanerd5
  #95 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Gerudo Thief
Steam ID: pyromaniiiac
View Posts: 112

The moon children really creepy, the fact that they use innocent looking children to portray some of the darkest bosses is a bit twisted.
  #96 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 PM
friendship is magic
View Posts: 328

those stupid freaky trials in SS!!! they freak me out so much that my mom had to make me pause it so my heart didnt tear my chest open to escape o.o
  #97 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Loptsided
Steam ID: FlorinaBelmont 3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,601

The dying soldier in the back alley in OoT. Hes not scary himself, but his situation is terrifying. Its a sort of Fridge Horror/Adult Fear thing. Just think about it. He saw his King killed, his liege's castle razed, his fellows slain, the Princess being taken away....He took a sword or spear or an arrow for the sake of the kingdom only to crawl to the back alley and wait for Link. On Zelda's words, he did this. "You must find the boy from the forest! YOU MUST!" And then he does finally meet Link but dies right in front of him. He may have had children...A wife...

Its both heartwrenching and terrifying.

Romani getting probed by those....Them. What are those things exactly? They look almost like wingless Mi-Go! They take the cows and Romani and do...something to her and shes all "fshgdf." Yeah....scary...

Ancient Cistern. You know the room. It doesnt look scary really. But then you reach that room and the zombie guys come up and try to pull you down. Sure they arent very scary looking, but think about it....

Zelda II. Ever thought of the game over scenario there? The main story says that Ganon's followers seek Link to slay him and sprinkle his blood over the ashes of Ganon to revive him. Game Over screen says RETURN OF GANON. Yeahhhh think on that for a good moment.

TP, what happens to Kakariko village before Link got there. O_____o

Wow Zelda has a lot of Fridge Horror!!!!

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
1 person liked this post: BronyofTime
  #98 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Moon Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florinasaur View Post
The dying soldier in the back alley in OoT. Hes not scary himself, but his situation is terrifying. Its a sort of Fridge Horror/Adult Fear thing. Just think about it. He saw his King killed, his liege's castle razed, his fellows slain, the Princess being taken away....He took a sword or spear or an arrow for the sake of the kingdom only to crawl to the back alley and wait for Link. On Zelda's words, he did this. "You must find the boy from the forest! YOU MUST!" And then he does finally meet Link but dies right in front of him. He may have had children...A wife...

Its both heartwrenching and terrifying.

Romani getting probed by those....Them. What are those things exactly? They look almost like wingless Mi-Go! They take the cows and Romani and do...something to her and shes all "fshgdf." Yeah....scary...

Ancient Cistern. You know the room. It doesnt look scary really. But then you reach that room and the zombie guys come up and try to pull you down. Sure they arent very scary looking, but think about it....

Zelda II. Ever thought of the game over scenario there? The main story says that Ganon's followers seek Link to slay him and sprinkle his blood over the ashes of Ganon to revive him. Game Over screen says RETURN OF GANON. Yeahhhh think on that for a good moment.

TP, what happens to Kakariko village before Link got there. O_____o

Wow Zelda has a lot of Fridge Horror!!!!
Possibly made worse by the fact that you can completely miss the dying soldier and he could have died without fulfilling his last purpose. ;-;

As for Romani, she seems almost lobotomized, which is awful as well. I have no idea what those things are exactly but it's been speculated that the encounter was based off of this or this.
  #99 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 09:57 PM
The King of Red Lions The King of Red Lions is a male United States The King of Red Lions is offline
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 397

"Them" from Majora's Mask. It's my favorite video game ever but something about those aliens/ghosts/whatever's just freak me out. It's better now but when I was younger whenever I got to that part of the game I had to run and get my brother to beat it for me. 😳
  #100 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2012, 10:00 PM
ć -x.
View Posts: 17,719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florinasaur View Post
Oh god, this.

Games don't really scare me anymore compared to when I was a kid, but having those undead bokoblins climbing after me in the Ancient Cistern area seriously freaked me out, and the fact that they just hold on and guh...

Another new one is the Silent Realms in SS. When time runs out and the Guardians come to life...

Ohhhh boy. RUN.

Tags
creepy, scary things, shivers, zelda