Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Kokiri
Steam ID: Passive
View Posts: 63
So my girlfriend has never played a Zelda game before...

And I am going to introduce her to this wonderful wonderful franchise. So I though I'd ask you guys what game I should show her first. I was thinking probably Ocarina of Time, but I wanted to get the opinion of you guys! So feel free to say what you think would be the best to show her first. Thanks
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2012, 06:08 PM
My life from Z to A My life from Z to A is a female United States My life from Z to A is offline
Sometimes, it's not just the hand you're dealt, but the cards you play.
View Posts: 348
Re: So my girlfriend has never played a Zelda game before...

I'm going to be one-hundred percent honest here...

I love the Zelda series to death, but unless your girlfriend is into video games/RPGs...I would suggest showing her the Zelda series is a bad idea. I think most of the Zelda appeal as compared to modern gaming has worn off; if you haven't known it as a child, then it's hard to truly appreciate it as it should be. That being said, there is a slim chance it will go over well if you're excited about it and she's thinking, "Oh brother."

If it were up to me, I don't think I would even start talking about Zelda with a friend else unless we were talking about video games for quite awhile (much less someone I was trying to impress). But I guess it depends on your situation.

If I absolutely HAD to show a friend one, though, I'd go with Twilight Princess. It's more modern than most Zelda games, and is a bit more serious than Skyward Sword at most parts. And it's on a current gaming console (Wii) if you have that version of the game. It might seem a little strange if you pull out a N64 to play OoT (OoT3D would be a poor choice in my opinion, especially if you're both looking over the tiny 3DS screen instead of a television).

Just my thoughts.

Sometimes,

it's not just the hand you're dealt,

but the cards you play.
2 people liked this post: Eriks0n, Iron Fist
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2012, 06:12 PM
"HUZZAH!"
View Posts: 207

speaking as a girl, I would have to say Skyward Sword because it has the bright colors and romantic undertones. (Even though my first zelda game was A Link to the Past )

she might be a little freaked out by ghirahim though. oh well. Skyward sword it is.

23/F/UT |Mormon|Zelda Fanartist| |DeviantArt||AnimeList|
Skyward Sword IN SPACE!
Chapter One: Generic 80's space costumes, and big hair.

GHIRAHIM'S DIAMOND ADVENTURE 3D

Last Edited by Karnella; 03-20-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Kokiri
Steam ID: Passive
View Posts: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by My life from Z to A View Post
I'm going to be one-hundred percent honest here...

I love the Zelda series to death, but unless your girlfriend is into video games/RPGs...I would suggest showing her the Zelda series is a bad idea. I think most of the Zelda appeal as compared to modern gaming has worn off; if you haven't known it as a child, then it's hard to truly appreciate it as it should be. That being said, there is a slim chance it will go over well if you're excited about it and she's thinking, "Oh brother."
I hear ya, but she's asked me several times to show her Zelda. As well as D&D, MTG, TF2, Star Wars, LoTR and Minecraft. And she's really excited actually. I get where you're coming from, but she really wants me to show it to her haha.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Twilight Mistress
View Posts: 304

Everyone deserves to enjoy Zelda. Who cares about all that growing up with it stuff? Just show her, and if she likes it, good for you. Id suggest a less abstract game, like OoT as you said, because a game like WW may turn her off to the series due to its unique cartoony style and grievous sailing. MM would be a good idea, if not for its annoying 3 day cycle and overall different feel from the rest of the series. TP is just too long and drawn out to be a good beginner title. MAYBE aLttP, since its a very well-balanced game, yet its also relatively long. Skyward Sword is a definite no, with its very different take on the series as a whole and its linear and repetitiveness.

Basically you gotta go with the game that will be the best intro for her into the series as a whole, and then ease her into the rest as you go, if she likes the first one.
Last Edited by Kurokoi; 03-20-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Aquatic Humanoid
View Posts: 122

Ocarina of Time. It seems to me like the best start simply because it introduces elements I consider standard in the series pretty early. You have Link, Zelda, Ganondorf; Gorons and Zora in their natural environments; the Master Sword, a musical instrument and items that are actually useful in lots of situations; "classical" Zelda puzzles without too many gimmicky playstyles... and an overall good and simple story, really, with lots to do here and there. You never need Epona, or the Fire Arrows, the Biggoron Sword or some of the magic spells, for example, but you can still get major stuff like that if you want to.

I love Majora's Mask, but I feel it's too different in some regards to be the "first Zelda". That, and the time limit can become frustrating if you are not familiar with the puzzle style, of sorts. Wind Waker was also fantastic, but it stands out a bit with its sailing aspect and stuff. Still, good candidate, as it has all the "important" things like Ganon, the Triforce and all. Hyrule is underwater through.

Twilight Princess... eh, I dunno. Good game overall, but since Ganondorf hardly shows up at first and the Triforce is not really explained for what it is, the story might not be "first" material either. Then there is all the useless items of sorts that made me feel like I was weighed down with gear rather than getting useful tools. Finally, the Tron lines might seem a bit off to some.

A Link to the Past could be a great game as well, it depends on if you want to stick with the 3D Zeldas. It explains the Triforce nicely, for example, and the Dark World can be an interesting mechanic.

Skyward Sword is nice, too, but I have not fully completed it yet so I won't say much about it. It might be a bit too... different? I dunno. What is "Zelda", really? To me, OoT kinda perfected it, even if I yield that some of the newer games have better mechanics, perhaps, and that older ones may have the legacy principle going for them.

But hey, personal opinion: Start with Ocarina of Time, followed by Wind Waker. Majora's Mask or Twilight Princess is next, depending on what you feel like going for. Skyward Sword after them, simply for being the newest.
Last Edited by Katuko; 03-20-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 AM
SomeDudeAtTheAltar SomeDudeAtTheAltar is a male Mexico SomeDudeAtTheAltar is offline
Anouki
View Posts: 44

If she's a gamer, then... what are you waiting for? :p
If not... leave if that way... you may end up very disappointed!

I think Ocarina of Time or A Link to the Past are the best ones to start up in Zelda.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Aquatic Humanoid
View Posts: 122

Hey, my mom is no gamer either, but still she seemed to enjoy it while I played through the first parts of Ocarina of Time.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2012, 12:30 PM
gone with the ghost train
View Posts: 4,946

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword takes too long before getting into the action, I'd go with A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time. The Minish Cap isn't bad after the aforementioned two if you have a Game Boy Player.
Last Edited by Eriks0n; 03-21-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2012, 12:31 PM
ć -x.
View Posts: 17,715

I'd say Ocarina of Time. Definitely go with it.

But she needs to like video games first before you give it a try. They're not for everyone.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 3,052

Oh, I'd say OoT. That's a great starting point.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Lazara the Last Lazara the Last is a male Norway Lazara the Last is offline
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 322

I don’t know. The Zelda-series is a balance between all the games; you don’t get the entire Zelda-franchise if you play just one of them. You have to play more than one. I started with OoT, then I played tWW, but I didn’t get in to the series before TP.
OoT however would be the best one to start with. You just have to hope she wants to try a new Zelda game after the first one. The more games you play in the series, the better they become.

“Well...I guess this is farewell, huh? Light and shadow can't mix, as we all know. But... Never forget that there's another world bound to this one.”
Signature by zeldafan12z
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Navii!
Send a message via Skype™ to Navii_
View Posts: 692

Honestly, I would pick OoT OR TP.
Depending on What gaming background she has come from. If she loves games that aren't like heavy graphics such as Modern Warfare, and other types of cinematic games like those, I would go for Twilight Princess , to me, The graphics are much better than the majority of the Zelda Games, The overal level of the game is Moderate, there plenty to do. I hate a short game, and if shes like myself I would definately go for TP. If shes used to a more cartoony style of gaming not as cinematic, like other Wii games, and some products from the Xbox Live Arcades) even games like Borderlands and what not I would go for OoT, its simple a very related game to play especially for a Beginner and it brings her to the origin of Zeldas real take off (everyone was in love with OoT).its more of her style the graphics are still wonderful (to me) but it has that classic nintendo feel, and the graphics compared to TP aren't that serious. But overall I would go with TP. Its very exciting to play the game itself even if you havent had preexisting Zelda background. Hopefully she enjoys it!

Happy member of the Farore Clan
Last Edited by Navii_; 03-21-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2012, 07:04 PM
toonlinkrocks toonlinkrocks is a male United States toonlinkrocks is offline
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 306

OoT was my first game, and IMO it gives the best explanation about the Zelda series, plus it is one of the ones that people talk about most.

If she's really excited then definitely be ready with WW or MM to play next.

Characters:Vothas Trip

#15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Mogma
Send a message via Skype™ to iDin
View Posts: 164

OoT for sure, it's going to addict her to Zelda, that's the one I've used to introduce to my past boyfriends (but being single is ALOT more fun lol JK)
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Douchebag Supreme
View Posts: 1,089

Ocarina Of Time, Wind Waker, or Skyward Sword are good first Zelda games.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 PM
SageJasmine147 SageJasmine147 is a female Canada SageJasmine147 is offline
Totally AWESOME!
View Posts: 237

I don't see a reason not to show her, if she's interested. I'm admittedly, not much of a gamer myself, but even though I'm not generally into CoD or Skyrim (yeah, I know) doesn't mean I don't love me some Zelda. If you want 3D, definitely start with Ocarina. Just make sure she's ready for the old console and stuff- if you could play the Wii Download version, it might make it less, I dunno, out of the modern realm. As for 2D, Minish Cap is a good game for beginners, and stillis a lot of fun. If you don't mind the whole 'game being on a gameboy' thing, that's also a good one to start.

Just remember: if she likes the first game you show her, great! Pick another one if she wants (even let her pick). If she doesn't like it, don't you dare force it on her. Having games you don't like forced on you sucks (trust me, Fallout was forced on me, and it was not fun).
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2012, 11:23 PM
does the fandango!
3DS ID: zeldaisacoolguy
View Posts: 1,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passive View Post
I hear ya, but she's asked me several times to show her Zelda. As well as D&D, MTG, TF2, Star Wars, LoTR and Minecraft. And she's really excited actually. I get where you're coming from, but she really wants me to show it to her haha.
Is she an RPG player? If she's into D&D or anything like that... ALttP or OoT. Story progression + semi-free roam = Game those roleplayers like. I play MUDs occasionally, and those two are far and away the most popular Zelda games amongst the roleplayers I know.

If not, it depends on the girl. What are her interests? The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are both good candidates. The Wind Waker's intro actually lays down the full Zelda storyline for her... in the event she gets bored early on.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Not just a hero, a TRUE hero
View Posts: 125

she will enjoy zelda even more if you start from oot to MM and so on

the legend of zelda story is really interesting if you understand it

Sig Done by me:
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 PM
?
Steam ID: Foofs
View Posts: 8,474

Majora's Mask because it's the greatest Zelda of all time. ANIEC.
Last Edited by Mafoofoo; 03-21-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote