Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-18-2012, 08:25 PM
NotTakeMirror NotTakeMirror is a male United States NotTakeMirror is offline
The Other Sage
View Posts: 494
Zelda Game Selector Test

I thought it would be fun to come up with a test for those new to the Zelda series that would recommend them a Zelda game based on their responses.

I did find this test here but it only includes the first six Zelda games- nothing past Majora's Mask.

It it be nice to have a selector test that includes all the Zelda games. I haven't played all of the Zelda games, so I will need help of other forum members in designing such a test.

I think the test should have more than just 6 questions but not so long as to scare people away. Which questions should the test have? I realize that such a test is far from scientific but I think it would be fun. There will never be uniform agreement on which game has the best storyline or which game is the most challenging for example, but I do think some games tend to be regarded as more challenging overall (AoL, LoZ) and some are regarded as easier (TP, WW) and some games are regarded as more story focused.

In addition I think there should be questions about sidequests. Do you prefer lots of sidequests or would you rather just focus on the main quest and don't like to be distracted with sidequests?

Do you prefer console or handheld?

Do you want a sidekick or do you want to go it alone?

What graphical style do you prefer?

Those are just a few examples of questions.

Games beaten:
LoZ, AoL, ALttP, LA, OoT, MM, OoA, OoS, TP, ST, SS

Currently playing:
ALBW, OoT (master quest), OoA/OoS (linked game)

Games not yet played:
FS, FSA, MC, PH

Top Zelda games:
1. MM
2. OoT
3. ALBW
4. ALttP
5. TP
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-18-2012, 10:36 PM
do you really think this is a joke
Send a message via Skype™ to kezzer
View Posts: 1,295
Re: Zelda Game Selector Test

So are you really serious about making this test for real? I'd like to take it

I suggest having at least one question about whether you prefer combat or puzzles.
Uh that's all I can think of that you haven't already mentioned. About 10-15 questions total should do it, eh?

The DJ in my head never stops playing...
Last Edited by kezzer; 03-18-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-18-2012, 11:01 PM
NotTakeMirror NotTakeMirror is a male United States NotTakeMirror is offline
The Other Sage
View Posts: 494
Re: Zelda Game Selector Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer View Post
So are you really serious about making this test for real? I'd like to take it

I suggest having at least one question about whether you prefer combat or puzzles.
Uh that's all I can think of that you haven't already mentioned. About 10-15 questions total should do it, eh?
Glad to see someone is interested.

All Zelda games have both combat and puzzles. I suppose some are more focused on one or another.

10-15 questions seems the right length.

Here are some more question ideas:

A) Do you prefer lots of opportunities to freely explore the land even though you may often end up in the wrong place at the wrong time or find yourself lost? OR B) Would you rather have more guidance as to where to go next even though you might be more restricted as to where you can go and when?

A) I find well-done cutscenes to be one of my favorite parts of the game and find they enhance the storyline OR B) I'm not that interested in cutscenes and/or find them an unwelcome interruption to the gameplay OR C) I like some of the cutscenes but there should always be the opportunity to skip them

I thought the "Do you like a challenge?" question could be expanded upon. What kind of challenge? Challenging puzzles? Challenging combat? Challenge in navigation? All of these? None of these? How about a question like this for combat:

A) I want my combat to be challenging. If you die or barely take damage during a boss fight on your first try, it's too easy. I like practicing my combat skills on challenging bosses and don't mind attempting the same boss several times until I'm victorious. VS B) I don't like dying or having fight the same battles repeatedly. I either prefer easier combat or don't enjoy the combat portion that much.

Or for puzzles, something like this:

A) I like puzzles that truly push ones mental limits. The most satisfying puzzles to me are challenging ones that take awhile to solve. VS B) I don't enjoy puzzles that much or I like easier puzzles that don't tax the brain so much. A hard puzzle shouldn't get in the way of gameplay.

Regarding graphics, how about something like:

What graphical style do you prefer?
A) Colorful and impressionistic (like SS)
B) More dark and realistic (like TP)
C) Cel-shaded (like WW)
D) Like Ocarina of Time (whatever that style is called)
E) Old school (like the original LoZ)
F) Graphics aren't important to me

Games beaten:
LoZ, AoL, ALttP, LA, OoT, MM, OoA, OoS, TP, ST, SS

Currently playing:
ALBW, OoT (master quest), OoA/OoS (linked game)

Games not yet played:
FS, FSA, MC, PH

Top Zelda games:
1. MM
2. OoT
3. ALBW
4. ALttP
5. TP