Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

View Poll Results: What is your Favourite Zelda Game?
The Legend of Zelda 6 0.81%
The Adventure of Link 6 0.81%
A Link to the Past 50 6.78%
Link's Awakening 6 0.81%
Ocarina of Time 167 22.63%
Majora's Mask 160 21.68%
Oracles of Seasons/Ages 8 1.08%
Four Swords/Four Swords Adventure 1 0.14%
The Wind Waker 120 16.26%
The Minish Cap 8 1.08%
Twilight Princess 112 15.18%
Phantom Hourglass 2 0.27%
Spirit Tracks 4 0.54%
Skyward Sword 86 11.65%
Other (Spinoff) 2 0.27%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#61 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Twili
View Posts: 435
Re: Favorite Zelda Game

Quote:
In the vast, deep forest of Hyrule...
I cast my vote on the one and only Ocarina of Time. The reasoning for this can be summed up in the phrase that OoT is the quintessential Zelda.

OoT has the basic, albeit epic, story of the young boy on the great adventure to save Princess Zelda and to stop Ganondorf, the Gerudo King of Thieves. Even though this basically is a re-imagination of the story of the earlier games, OoT puts it into a living world, filled with strange and fantastical inhabitants: the friendly Kokiri tribe living peacefully in the beautiful Kokiri Forest, the tranquil Gorons rolling around on Death Mountain and the noble Zoras protecting their Domain, and so on.

Moreover, the game revolutionized not only 3D-gameplay in general, but took Zelda, not only into the third space dimension, but into the fourth dimension of time. The graphics might be outdated, but the artistic feeling remains. The gameplay is as interesting now as it was then.

The music of Ocarina of Time is memorable, with such tunes as the adventure-inspiring Hyrule Field-theme; the medivael Market-theme; the fiery Gerudo Valley theme, and so on. The music of the title instrument, songs composed with only five notes, are perhaps even more unforgettable.

However, it is none of these individual aspects that make Ocarina of Time my favourite Zelda game, but how they work together. It is when they come together that the game really comes alive.

/Blue Window

------/---WW/PH---ST (Adult)
SS---TMC---FS---OoT---AlttP/OoX/LA--LoZ/AoL (Downfall)
------\MM---TP---FSA (Child)
2 people liked this post: Aenglaan, Loki Laufeyson
  #62 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Terminian
View Posts: 796

Majora's Mask remains my favorite game OF ALL TIME!, not just in the Zelda series. Every character had character, if that makes sense. There were more people in the game who mattered to you, almost every character had something for you to do and a reward that could be given. The story was different (thank God) than just, "Zelda captured, save her". It was new, fresh and exciting.

Many people feel that the game is too similar to OOT because of the same engine, models etc, but I feel that it is one of the most different of games in the series. All the games are different from each other on a shallow level (characters/models, updated graphics, engine, new "Two worlds" thing they do almost always), but if you dive in you can see that they are all quite similar. You almost always:
  • Save the princess
  • have a dual world system (light/dark, normal/twilight realm, surface/sky)
  • Get three things, get Master Sword, get some more things, fight Ganon.
  • Use an item once and only once in a specific dungeon (SS is a happy exeption)

Whereas MM felt different on almost every level. You still had a ton of items, but you only get "bow and arrow" items in the dungeons... you explore and get items in areas other than temples and dungeons.

Ok, enough from me. MM was and is the best game of the series and I honestly don't think it will be surpassed. A lot of that might be nostalgia speaking, but it really was a great game.
1 person liked this post: Reila
  #63 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-28-2011, 02:32 AM
Steam ID: sikora002
View Posts: 6,528

I have changed my mind...

SS is better than WW

But WW still takes the cake for Best Music and Exploration for me.
  #64 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-28-2011, 03:25 AM
Anouki
View Posts: 39

You just can't top A Link to the Past when it comes to Zelda.

It defined the game series into what you see in the current games today. It holds up great even today, and it is as perfect and polished a game as you will ever see.

I'm kind of disappointed that Skyward Sword has so many votes, but I think the hype is what is getting it so many votes since the game is new and fresh on people's minds. Would be interesting to see the poll a year or two from now.
3 people liked this post: Aenglaan, Miss Poe, Raikoh
  #65 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Helten i Tid
Send a message via Skype™ to Gaba
Steam ID: bluefireman33
View Posts: 6,000

After considering all the factors I look for in a good Zelda game, and factoring in SS (so far) I'm gonna have to say wind waker with twilight princess and Skyward Sword following up. The only fun parts of ocarina of time are the water and shadow temples in my completely honest opinion.
  #66 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-28-2011, 08:14 PM
The Dream Traveler
View Posts: 58

Console: Majora's Mask

Handheld: Oracle of Seasons
  #67 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 PM
The Baton of the Wind The Baton of the Wind is a male United States The Baton of the Wind is offline
Master Shortpants
View Posts: 3,801

Console: The Wind Waker

Handheld: Phantom Hourglass

Translations:

SS --- TWW

#68 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Balthier Bunansa Balthier Bunansa is a female British Antarctic Territory Balthier Bunansa is offline
Half as cool, but twice as badass
Steam ID: Elegance does not stoop.
View Posts: 2,281

Wind Waker should have more votes....damn you, OoT.

What else do you need me to say?
3 people liked this post: MajorMajora, Reila, Yawn
  #69 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-28-2011, 08:59 PM
I AM THE WALRUS
View Posts: 577

I'm not done with SS yet, but I think it can become my favorite. I wasn't sure about OoT or WW being my favorite but I've been playing through the 3DS OoT and it is still definitely my favorite, but SS is giving it a run for its money. I haven't played WW in years but if I did it could become my favorite also.
  #70 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Puppetmaster
View Posts: 2,565

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiersFan View Post
Majora's Mask is in the lead? Yep, we're definitely in the Twilight Zone. What's next? Tim Tebow becomes the greatest NFL QB of all time?
It's probably thanks to BEN and operation moonfall. It's almost becoming a hype. (And I say that as a MM-voter).
  #71 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Dat ain't Falco

View Posts: 13,762

What was the worst Game?
  #72 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 17

TP. the only ga,e I ever felt was "complete" enough, not to mention it had the best graphics. Plus LinkxMidna
  #73 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-04-2012, 02:13 AM
nowhere
View Posts: 4,183

I love The Wind Waker. I've always enjoyed the cel-shading, to be honest, and the difficulty setting. It's not hard, but it makes you think sometimes. It's also fun to explore the different islands and such. Great game.
  #74 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Hello, I am from the internet
Send a message via Skype™ to TeeJus
View Posts: 84

Really hard to decide which one I like the most but I've landed on Wind Waker in the end. I'd played OoT, MM and the original two (although I never completed those 2), but I think this is the one that really dragged me into Zelda nerdiness and interest in the timeline/history/etc. Possibly because I'd completed Shenmue 2 not too long before and as there wasn't to be any more of those I needed something else to really grab onto (so needy :p).

Also just generally had a blast playing it hanging out with my sister, her boyfriend and me on the gamecube. Those were good times.

I probably couldn't have a more subjective opinion on this matter, but there you go, that's the one I liked the most.
  #75 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 13

For exploration, gorgeous graphics, perfect gameplay and the best dungeons, it has to be The Wind Waker for me

I never get the huge pedastal OoT gets put on, the graphics are dated now, the gameplay is ok but perfected in later games and the dungeons are so-so, only imo of course

Am shocked MM is so loved here though!? Skyward Sword is amazing too but I'm not keen on the flying and would rather they had gone full animation like WW or realistic like Twilight, it all seems a bit borrowed to me too.
Last Edited by Dr Jones; 01-08-2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #76 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 2
Majora's Mask

The feeling, the sadness, this game is what twilight princess didn't a dark game, and not only that, but the gameplay is so unique and not like zelda was meant to be i loved the risk the devs took while using the mask concept.
My favorite game of all time
  #77 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,290

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post
You just can't top A Link to the Past when it comes to Zelda.

It defined the game series into what you see in the current games today. It holds up great even today, and it is as perfect and polished a game as you will ever see.

I'm kind of disappointed that Skyward Sword has so many votes, but I think the hype is what is getting it so many votes since the game is new and fresh on people's minds. Would be interesting to see the poll a year or two from now.
Its funny to read this, because I completely disagree with this statement in every way. I'm not trying to offend, simply pointing out the dichotomy.

First of all, I find alttp to be my least favorite zelda of the ones I've played. loved the overworld, but I found the dungeons to be very unpolished, and the puzzles relied on obscurity rather than actually being clever, something that I despise with a burning passion. Not to mention it mostly just built off of what the first game started. I don't actually care about that stuff, just wanted to point to that flaw in your argument.

I voted for ss. Not because of hype, but because it is my favorite game in the series (ww at a close second). I started in the hype phase, and then moved to the "this game isn't as good as I thought" phase for awhile. But as I've nearly finished the game again, I can safely say most of my worries were eased about the game's flaws.

I can say with pretty damn good certainty that this is my favorite zelda game as of yet.
3 people liked this post: Big Daddy, Reila
  #78 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Dat ain't Falco

View Posts: 13,762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadvaki View Post
Wind Waker should have more votes....damn you, OoT.
I agree. I thought WW had the best use of Ganondorf.
  #79 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Deku Scrub
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghorlam
Steam ID: raspberry_32
View Posts: 5

I chose Ocarina of Time for basically one reason. I feel that Ocarina of Time is the game that best describes the main plot. It tells the history of the TriForce and how Ganondorf wants to rule Hyrule. I may be wrong, and I am almost positive that some other game will explain it more, but this is about opinion.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." -John 3:16
  #80 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-11-2012, 05:43 AM
Deku Scrub
Steam ID: MagiciteKefka
View Posts: 27

I'm probably quite controversial when I say that I think that Twilight Princess is the best Zelda game. Don't get me wrong, I love them all. I've beat almost all of the main games, except for the DS games and Adventure of Link. I consider TP to have the best and most fun dungeons in the series. The characters are fun, while sometimes forgettable. Zant is a fantastic antagonist, even after he goes all bat♥♥♥♥ insane. That's what makes him unique imo.

It's really close though, since WW and SS are pretty much tied for second place, and they're both really close to TP for the first place. But yeah, that's just me.
2 people liked this post: Jonah