Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 98
Zelda game watch remake

Heyyy, so as many of you know, there was an LCD Zelda game watch. I was thinking it might be cool if someone made a remake of it, since it's so difficult to buy and you can't even download a ROM if you wanted to. I don't know much about programming games, but an LCD game may be simple enough that I could whip something up in Game Maker 7, just for fun. The problem is, I really don't know anything about the game...

So this is an impossibility if I can't find any information about the game. Can anyone who actually owns it explain the mechanics? Or better yet, post some videos of the gameplay? There's a nice little description here: http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Zelda_LCD_games
But it would be nice to know like, how the enemies moved, how Link moves, how finding and using items works. Also, wikipedia says that there are 8 dragons who split the Triforce into 3 pieces, while zeldawiki says that there are 8 dungeons; can anyone explain that?

So I'm wondering what the style should be like. I double I'll find any high-res photos of the watch itself, so the sprites will have to be drawn. I'm wondering, should I make it as true to the original as possible, and make all the characters black and then copy the background colors right of the watch's background? Or find some backgrounds and sprites from LttP? And then I guess the movement should be the same, having Link 'jump' from spot to spot, maybe with a little jumping animation.

And then maybe there can be a short introduction explaining the story. Someone else would have to do the artwork though... Ooooh maybe there could be an art gallery where you can unlock pictures by doing stuff... And maybe add bonus levels, that are puzzle-based.

Sooo please share what you know about this game!
Last Edited by crimsonking; 01-05-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason:
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-05-2010, 06:27 PM
TourianTourist TourianTourist is a male Germany TourianTourist is offline
ZeldaEurope Staff
Send a message via Skype™ to TourianTourist
View Posts: 1,160
Re: Zelda game watch remake

It's not difficult to buy, since there's the Nintendo Mini Classics version, which you can easily get. Also, in Japan there are Game&Watch games available for download on the DSi, maybe we will get this too one day.

Yet to play | Played | Beaten | All Items | 100%
TLoZ | TAoL | G&W | ALttP | LA | LADX | OoT | MQ | MM | OoA&OoS | ALttP&FS | TWW | FSA | TMC
TP(GCN) | TP(Wii) | LCT | TRR | PH | ST | OoT3D | FSAE | SS | TWWHD | ALBW | HW

Todo: Beat Zelda Game & Watch, Complete 2nd Quest in TWWHD, 999s Cucco Run in ALBW
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Deku Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourianTourist View Post
It's not difficult to buy, since there's the Nintendo Mini Classics version, which you can easily get. Also, in Japan there are Game&Watch games available for download on the DSi, maybe we will get this too one day.
Noooo not Zelda Game-and-Watch. I mean Zelda Game Watch... The Game-and-Watch one is with the two screens, where it is AoL-style. The Zelda Game Watch is an actual watch that you wore on your wrist, and played like the original LoZ.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Deku Scrub

Okay, well I put together some tiles and sprites and made this one room. It's pretty small... I think for each of the 4 dungeons I'll use different walls/floors and make the boss a different color. Also I'll make Link a modified LttP Link.

And it's blurry because of the picture's file type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zgw_example.jpg (7.4 KB, 11 views)
Last Edited by crimsonking; 01-10-2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason:
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Deku Scrub

I'm bumping this as I made some progress, and to ask for more help. Onlu one person has responded so far... (Thanks Onimech.)

Now Link can move around the room in the same way he could on the watch. I made the boomerang, sword, bomb, key, and triforce and they are all usable, though they can't interact with other things yet (namely, enemies and doors). Once I find out how much health Link had in the original I can make hearts, too. I have animated keese and bit, though they don't do anything else.

And that's just about it, now. Annoyingly, the window is small and some of the sprites get kind of distorted, I dunno if I can fix that...

So here are some questions I need to know the answers to:
What was Link's maximum health?
How did Aquamentus attack?
Are all the bosses Aquamentus, or is there a Gleeok at some point?
When you enter a room, can you see the door you came in through?
When the exit appears, is it always in the same spot, or did it change?
Did only one type of weapon appear per room, and if not, did picking up a second weapon replace the first?

That's all the questions I can think of for now... I attached a picture of what all the items and enemies look like thus far.
Attached Images
File Type: png example2.png (8.0 KB, 9 views)
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 11

I hope you can complete your project to the fullest. Cant wait to see it in final release.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 2

Wow! That's awesome!
I've never owned either of the LCD games, but always wanted to play one.
Closed Thread