Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Mr. Wonderful Mr. Wonderful is a male United States Mr. Wonderful is offline
There is blood on my hands. How long till it lies on my heart?
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wonderful
View Posts: 7,608
Crytek, Epic: Next-Gen Console Specs Finalized in 2010, Coming 2013

Quote:
During the AMD Vision event, we got the opportunity to talk to Mike Gamble, manager of CryTek's Engine Licensing Business. In a discussion that spanned from different APIs to challenges in adopting new platform.

Due to expansion from a PC-only to a multi-platform engine, CryTekscoredseveral new customers. At present time, CryTek has more thandozen oflicensees, who will all utilize the next-generation CryEngine3. CryEngine 3 is set to debut next month [October], and there areloads of projects that will utilize that engine, especially fewsurprises for the consoles.

On the pictures in this article, you can see the demo of the engine running DirectX 9 build, expandable with DirectX 10, 10.1 and 11 extensions - depending on the adoption by the licensee. Thus, we'll refrain from commenting on the obligatory ATI's "DirectX 11 Gaming" cardboard, because the information there wasn't correct.

Mike told us that the capabilities of DirectX9 [when properly optimized] are brilliant for customers that want to develop a title for current generation of consoles and PCs. The customers that are targeting next-generation console cycle and the PC should build upon the strengths of DirectX 11 API, given that most of next-generation console hardware will be locked down sometime next year, and pushed out in 2012-2013 frame. We got the same feedback from Epic in the matter of Unreal Engine 4, and the time will tell can CryTek develop into a successful engine developer as well. So far, the work on Crysis 2 is progressing with more impact on gameplay than ever before.

Our take is that CryEngine 3 simply blew our minds with the realistic water physics and effects on the "camera" viewpoint... it was really interesting to feel the immersion effect, so the guys and girls in CryTek are looking good to win the award for the best looking water of them all.
Source: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...ext-month.aspx
Interesting. Till 2013 is a really long time. I wonder whether Nintendo will follow this model, or if I should even buy this?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.
View Posts: 8,800
Re: Crytek, Epic: Next-Gen Console Specs Finalized in 2010, Coming 2013

7 years isnt that much longer than the usual 4 or 5 year lifespan of videogame consoles.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Mr. Wonderful Mr. Wonderful is a male United States Mr. Wonderful is offline
There is blood on my hands. How long till it lies on my heart?
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wonderful
View Posts: 7,608

Square-Enix is now anticipating Wii HD in 2011. That's a long time away, but at this point in time, if that's true, I might have to say that the Wii has been the worse console (for me) ever.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Royal Hylian
View Posts: 927

This is what the original quote sounds like to me:
Quote:
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
So, like, numbers are good and stuff? I don't know.

I like video games though.

Tags
2010, 2013, coming, console, crytek, epic, finalized, nextgen, specs