Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

View Poll Results: What's your favorite Final Fantasy game? (Main series besides X-2 and XI)
Final Fantasy I 1 1.39%
Final Fantasy II 0 0%
Final Fantasy III 1 1.39%
Final Fantasy IV 8 11.11%
Final Fantasy V 2 2.78%
Final Fantasy VI 11 15.28%
Final Fantasy VII 11 15.28%
Final Fantasy VIII 9 12.50%
Final Fantasy IX 11 15.28%
Final Fantasy X/Final Fantasy XII 18 25.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 12:49 AM
タイラー
View Posts: 1,897
What's your favorite Final Fantasy game? (Main series besides X-2 and XI)

I've always thought that if there were a videogame series to rival the Legend of Zelda series, the Final Fantasy series would be the one. So that's why I made this poll. Now this includes only the main games. But it doesn't include X-2, cause it's a direct sequel, and it doesn't iclude XI, cause it's an MMORPG, so it doesn't count. And since there are only ten slots you can use in polls, I'll put X and XII in the same slot, but you got to let us know if you voted for XII or not.
Well, happy posting!
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 12:51 AM
RIP Satoshi Kon
Send a message via AIM to Durga
View Posts: 9,614
Re: What's your favorite Final Fantasy game? (Main series besides X-2 and XI)

Need help with the poll?

Websites you should visit:
D2 Brigade | TGWTG | My Twitter

My RP character:
|Valdessia|
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 12:54 AM
I once drew Santa sodomizing GI Joe. It was the last time I taught preschool art
View Posts: 2,655

Um, where is the poll exactly?

EDIT: Oh, there it is
Anyway, for me its a really close tie between VII, VIII, and IX. VII I really liked because of all the new features, and because it had the most likable party members. VIII probably had the bes story of the series, and I really like the whole love story between Squal and Rinoa. IX was great simply because of all the nostalgic referances to the previous games in the series.
I guess I'm going to have to go with XI.

By the way, did anyone else not like the fact that X and XII were only one disk? It just felt wrong to me. Having to switch disks was a definant sign of progress in the game that I liked and it was just wierd that I didn't have that.

...and from that day forward, anytime a bunch of self-important ranting morons are together in one place, it's called a FORUM! Unless it's a LEGISLATURE!
Last Edited by Hell Hawk; 06-28-2009 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Off-Key Anthem
View Posts: 10,194

Um, why is there a poll at all?
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 12:56 AM
タイラー

I got it, it's there now. Last time I posted this thread, a few minutes ago, I accidentally pressed the post button twice, and it didn't let me make the poll, it just said it was a duplicate, and it took me back to the list of threads. A mod said he could delete one, and I could make another one, so that's what I did. It's fine now.
Anyways, happy posting!
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 12:57 AM
RIP Satoshi Kon
Send a message via AIM to Durga
View Posts: 9,614

Anyways, FFVI ranks as my favorite in the series, with FFIV trailing close behind. This game has my favorite characters and soundtrack in the series. Celes is a particular favorite of mine because of all the emotional scenes we get with her, especially the opera scene and the suicide scene (if you fail to save Cid). Kefka was also my favorite villain in the series. I seem to have a thing for psychotic characters, and Kefka was one of the most psychotic villains I faced in a video game. He's also the only villain in the FF series to succeed in taking over the world and nearly destroying it.

Websites you should visit:
D2 Brigade | TGWTG | My Twitter

My RP character:
|Valdessia|
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,288

FFIV is awesome. I have it on GBA... FF1 is also really good. I dont like and of the new games, just the 2D ones.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 01:13 AM
タイラー

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Hawk View Post
Um, where is the poll exactly?

EDIT: Oh, there it is
Anyway, for me its a really close tie between VII, VIII, and IX. VII I really liked because of all the new features, and because it had the most likable party members. VIII probably had the bes story of the series, and I really like the whole love story between Squal and Rinoa. IX was great simply because of all the nostalgic referances to the previous games in the series.
I guess I'm going to have to go with XI.

By the way, did anyone else not like the fact that X and XII were only one disk? It just felt wrong to me. Having to switch disks was a definant sign of progress in the game that I liked and it was just wierd that I didn't have that.
Oh really? Yeah, I would imagine so. I've actually never've played the ones on the PS2, cause I simply didn't get one. I was a kid, so I didn't have cash. I've played I-VIII at least once. I really wanna play the ones on the PS2, but I don't have the cash at the moment. I went to this used games and DVDs store today, and the PS2s there are $64.99, so yeah.... Guess I'll wait for another time.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Twili
View Posts: 462

I've only played I, III, V and VI so far, but from these I liked I the most.

Usually I'm not much for RPGs, as they seem to undermine skills in favour of WATCH DEM NUMBERS GO UP and USE DAT POTION, but this game had a very unique charm to it. The endless number game was more prevalent than ever later and it really forced you to keep a really close watch on what you were doing at all times. Balancing the money for both life-saving potions and gear that may or may not help you.

Of course, the GBA version was really, really bad what with the extremely low difficulty, but the NES version really is fantastic.

I guess III comes in next, although I've only played the DS version. V comes after that.

Sorry guys, VI just did not capture me more than a couple of hours, after I got the first espers I just got bored : \
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Ganon's Bane
View Posts: 5,575

Interesting. The thread seems to have been remade....Well here's my post again.

Well X-2 isn't a main series title, so of course it shouldn't be on the list. Why do people feel the need to exclude XI though? Like it it or not, it IS part of the main series. Accept it. It's different you say? So is XII. IV through IX use the ATB system too, so they're different as well. Why count them? With XIV there are 2 main game MMOs. You must count them.

Not to say XI is my favorite. It actually kind of sucked, but it had the side bonus of having one of the best stories of the series.

As for my favorite....just for sheer fun factor and time spent on it, I'd say XII. However XII takes a major blow from it's maimed story. For best all around, I'm going to have to say IX. Great story. Good gameplay. Ample sidequests. Good graphics. It's great.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 11:03 AM
__
View Posts: 8,485

What a coincidence.
I've never been the biggest fan of the main-series FF games, particularly because most of the ones I've played (IGBA, IIGBA, IIIDS, VII, VIII) have bored me, both classic and modern.

However, last night, for the first time, I decided to try out the SNES FFIII (aka FFVI) because I recall a lot of people saying some fantastic things about it. Even though classic turn-based combat isn't really my thing, I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm not too far into it, but so far I'm pretty blown away by it-- particularly the presentation. It's pretty amazing for a SNES game-- the visuals are great (except the characters themselves, which still look the same as they ever did), the music is phenomenal, and it's presented in a very cinematic way, especially for a Super Nintendo game. So far the combat hasn't managed to turn me off much, so I think I'll like the game... and it could be one of the only main (numbered) FF games I do like.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Bipolar Deku Scrub
View Posts: 492

VI is my favourite (a close second would be IV).

I miss 2d rpgs
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Hooch is crazy!
View Posts: 12,483

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy X. So that's where my vote went.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 12:26 PM

View Posts: 9,284

Weak poll. You had a separate option for I and II yet you coupled X and XII together? ...

I don't really have a single favourite, but I really enjoyed VIII and IX the most. I just loved them and their battle systems, and they absolutely blew me away. If I had to choose one it would be VIII though. I saw an advert for IX in the back of the instruction book and I was like OH YES OH YES and I went out and bought it the first week IX came out.

#15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 01:15 PM
__
View Posts: 8,485

I might as well give a slightly more detailed opinion on the games I have played...

FFI (GBA)
Eh, classic is pretty much the only way to describe it. I made it all the way through, but it wasn't particularly interesting. The fact that the battles were so fast-paced helped keep me from snoozing through the entire game, and it was cool to make your own team (which is part of what made the original so unique).

FFII (GBA)
To be honest, I haven't played much of this one at all. And I've tried playing it multiple times. It didn't really hold my attention very well.

FFIII (DS)
Boooo-ring.
Not quite as boring as FFII, but I still can't be bothered to play through this game. I completely lose interest each time I try, and I've tried starting it over twice. The characters are boring, the battle system is same old same old... there's just noting interesting. Again, though, it's cool that you get to change the characters' jobs.

FFVI (SNES)
Like I said, I just started this one last night, but so far I like it. The combat has a few tweaks to keep it from being boring (Super Mario RPG also tweaked the combat in a positive way), the music is fantastic, and the overall presentation is astounding for a Super Nintendo game. I'm at the first point where you choose a scenario to follow after the party gets split three ways, and I thought that was a neat touch, too.

FFVII (PS1)
Nothing too too amazing about it, but I have played all the way through it, and it wasn't bad. There's not much more for me to say about it. The only way I can see that it was "revolutionary" is in its presentation, because the combat was pretty much the same as the SNES games.

FFVIII
Urgh. Eight can kiss my ass. This was the first "modern" FF I've ever played.
I bought this used at Gamestop and still wish I didn't. The characters are stupid, the storyline's not all that interesting, and the combat sucks. You can pretty much win by constantly using summons over and over again (except it takes, like, three hours, since you can't skip the summoning sequence). Also, while they're out, they take the damage for you. What the hell is that? Also, the junctioning is messy and confusing, especially since you switch party members constantly and have to switch everything back-and-forth, and that causes you to think two things-- 1. Did everything transfer right, or am I gonna have to check this character and do it myself just in case? 2. Wow, these characters are all the freaking same if I can just transfer instantly like that.

You wanna know the worst part? I had to start this game over three times before I got far enough to realize it was that bad. First time was when I borrowed it from a friend (the PC version), but it was too scratched to continue. Second was when I bought it myself and played it on the PS1, which couldn't read through the (minimal) scratches on it, either. Third was when I stuck the discs I bought into my computer and emulated the PS1, since my PC could read discs better. Then I finally got farther, and got bored of the game real fast.

All the other Final Fantasy games I've played have been spin-offs, like Tactics/Advance and Crystal Chronicles (both of which I love).
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 03:09 PM
タイラー

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK: 5895/9999 View Post
Weak poll. You had a separate option for I and II yet you coupled X and XII together? ...

I don't really have a single favourite, but I really enjoyed VIII and IX the most. I just loved them and their battle systems, and they absolutely blew me away. If I had to choose one it would be VIII though. I saw an advert for IX in the back of the instruction book and I was like OH YES OH YES and I went out and bought it the first week IX came out.
Maybe I should have put I and II together instead of X and XII, but I didn't think of that at the time.

Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite. I personally loved the Junction System, and it was my favorite storyline in the series. I just loved the characters in the game, so much you wouldn't even understand. I loved the Triple Triad card game, it was fun and it killed some time. And it's because of Triple Triad that there are games like this in RPGs today, like Blitzball in Final Fantasy X. I just loved the cinematic cut scenes in the game too. They were better than the ones in Final Fantasy VII in my opinion. I liked how there wasn't MP in this game, it made it a little bit less hectic to use your magic spells. I thought the music in this game was just amazing. The boss battle theme in this game is my favorite boss battle theme out of any other game I've ever played. Premonition was awesome as well, I loved that tune. I liked Man with the Machine Gun, and Eyes on Me, almost every single musical piece I liked or loved. The game is just fantastic, it's my favorite game tied with Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Just so epic. The original Playstation is my favorite console, and maybe tied with N64, but I don't know. I seem to have more memories with my Playstation. I still have my Playstation up and running with original copies of Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII, with all the game discs in playable condition, with the booklets in each, and they're the non-greatest hits versions. I love Final Fantasy!
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 04:11 PM
o-O!
View Posts: 249

I love pretty much every FF. VI is up there for me, aswell as FFVII, FFVIII and FFIX. But, in the end, FFVII holds a place in my heart that hasn't been topped, with FFIX right behind at a close second (although, I am getting closer and closer to having this become my number 1 ff, its truly is a classic.) The music in all of these just catches me and me makes me remember how great it was the first time I played them all, years ago.

PSN-Petrifying_Inc
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 04:37 PM
linksmolecules linksmolecules is a male United States linksmolecules is offline
Delirious
Send a message via Skype™ to linksmolecules
View Posts: 1,065

I haven't played 6 or 10-12. So, I have to say that 7 is my favorite. I loved the awsome cut scenes, and the crazy amounts of gameplay. The strory was compelling and the characters were infectious, for the most part.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Mr. Wonderful Mr. Wonderful is a male United States Mr. Wonderful is offline
There is blood on my hands. How long till it lies on my heart?
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wonderful
View Posts: 7,608

IX, then X and VIII, then VI, then VII, then V, then IV, then I don't care anymore.

Also:

Final Fantasy Tactics.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Caelum the Former
View Posts: 831

I'm a fan of the Ivalice Alliance in particular, so I voted Final Fantasy XII. Can't say exactly why, but I like the setting and characters best from that saga.

Tags
fantasy, favorite, final, game, main, series