Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

View Poll Results: What's your favorite Final Fantasy game? (Main series besides X-2 and XI)
Final Fantasy I 1 1.39%
Final Fantasy II 0 0%
Final Fantasy III 1 1.39%
Final Fantasy IV 8 11.11%
Final Fantasy V 2 2.78%
Final Fantasy VI 11 15.28%
Final Fantasy VII 11 15.28%
Final Fantasy VIII 9 12.50%
Final Fantasy IX 11 15.28%
Final Fantasy X/Final Fantasy XII 18 25.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 08:58 PM
タイラー
Wii U ID: Shock-T 3DS ID: Shock-T
View Posts: 1,897
Re: What's your favorite Final Fantasy game? (Main series besides X-2 and XI)

Wow, there seems to be a lot of votes for FFX/FFXII. Kinda surprised, even when combined. And I'm also surprised only one person has voted for FFVII, so-called best game in the series. Some even call it the best game ever. 2 votes for FFVIII, huh? Not bad I guess. There are still people who are gonna vote. FFIX got in second, huh? I heard that it wasn't as good as FFVII or FFVIII, and it's sales sure weren't as good. But yeah, it's still in second. Kinda surprised by this poll so far.

Let's get some more votes in!
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
We built Mute City on Rock and Roll
Steam ID: FlorinaBelmont 3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,606

Ok heres a run down of the ones i played and my opinion on them:

FF1. Yeah NES version. Pretty boring but when i first played it back in the day it was kinda interesting. I figured Dragon Warrior (yeah i call it that) on steriods but oh well. Nothing special. Hell i dont even remember much of it aside from the characters "growing up".

FF2(AKA 4). This one is my favorite. Im really not into this series but this one stood out. It was just fun and the story was interesting and the characters were cool. (Tellah ftw)

FF3(AKA 6). Another decent one! Characters (main) were kinda meh but overall delivery was good. Decent graphics for its time and one hell of a cool ass villain! Kefka made that game!

FF7. Ehhh...Presentation was good, Story decent, cutscenes were pretty amazing, villain was cool too (yeah i like Sephy). He did something that i really loved him for!!! (yay no more Aeris!). However, the game got tedious, kinda stupid in parts and just overall kinda boring. Its a good game but very very very overrated.

FF8. Omg. what a freaken waste of pixels!!!!! That is all.

FF9. Went back to the older style buuut a little lacking. It wasnt bad but main protagonist grated on my nerves more than Cloud and thats saying something.

FFX. Horrible. the end.

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 10:21 PM
:coffee:

View Posts: 18,006

Oh, wow, it makes me smile to see the different opinions people hold towards certain Final Fantasy titles. (:

For myself, I don't really know. VII was what started it for me. It was the first title I beat way back when I was twelve. I had no idea how to play it back then, but then I caught on, and I was boss by the end of it. Second, came VIII, and then I picked up IX and played all the way to the last boss but didn't finish it. ;P

I actually liked VII and IX a lot. VII was cool too, but it honestly has been blown out of proportion. At the time I thought VII was amazing, but when I sit back and examine the games, VIII and IX stick out a bit more. Then there X, which I really enjoyed, and Final Fantasy Tactics has got to be my favorite spin off from the series. <3

XII was getting good, but it's so bloody long. D:

Other than that I stick have III on DS I have yet to beat, alongside V and VI.
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 10:31 PM
RIP Satoshi Kon
Send a message via AIM to Durga
View Posts: 9,614

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenjoker View Post
Oh, wow, it makes me smile to see the different opinions people hold towards certain Final Fantasy titles. (:

For myself, I don't really know. VII was what started it for me. It was the first title I beat way back when I was twelve. I had no idea how to play it back then, but then I caught on, and I was boss by the end of it. Second, came VIII, and then I picked up IX and played all the way to the last boss but didn't finish it. ;P

I actually liked VII and IX a lot. VII was cool too, but it honestly has been blown out of proportion. At the time I thought VII was amazing, but when I sit back and examine the games, VIII and IX stick out a bit more. Then there X, which I really enjoyed, and Final Fantasy Tactics has got to be my favorite spin off from the series. <3

XII was getting good, but it's so bloody long. D:

Other than that I stick have III on DS I have yet to beat, alongside V and VI.
You should definitely drop FFIII for awhile and get straight to FFVI. Which version do you have?

Websites you should visit:
D2 Brigade | TGWTG | My Twitter

My RP character:
|Valdessia|
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 PM
:coffee:

View Posts: 18,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
You should definitely drop FFIII for awhile and get straight to FFVI. Which version do you have?
I have the Final Fantasy Anthology version. :3
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 PM
T.I.M.E.
View Posts: 3,545

I always say IV because it was the first RPG that really sucked me in and caused me to fall in love with the series, and the genre in general. I just thought it was amazing at the time -- like playing an interactive fantasy novel -- but I don't know anymore. I think my appreciation for it is mostly nostalgic. I just have so many good memories from it.

But when I really think about it, the next one that truly had that effect on me would have to be IX. I loved VI because of the story, and VII excited me because it was omg3D, but I also found that VI-VIII disappointed me for a very simply, and admittedly shallow reason: they weren't fantasy. I've always been a fan of sci-fi, particularly of the dystopian variety, but I got into Final Fantasy because of its unique take on the "sword and sorcery" aesthetic. So when I saw FFIX taking the series back to its roots, I got insanely hyped up, and purchased every magazine with even a blurb about it, snatched up posters from the local comic store, and even bought the crappy action figures. And then the game came out, and the hype paid off. I fell in love with everything about it, I skipped school to play it, and it's had a really lasting effect on me ever since. It was a modernized version of the kind of Final Fantasy I fell in love with, and I think it's time to admit that it's my true favorite.
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 10:44 PM
RIP Satoshi Kon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenjoker View Post
I have the Final Fantasy Anthology version. :3
I think the SNES version is the best, but the FFA version isn't too different from the SNES version.

But seriously, FFVI is just begging to be played.

My RP character:
|Valdessia|
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 10:54 PM
DIE THE DEATH! SENTANCE TO DEATH! GREAT EQUALIZER IS DEATH!
Send a message via Skype™ to Snow_Storm
Steam ID: the_snow_storm
View Posts: 9,465

The Final Fantasy game where Terra is naked and she flies around screaming like hell.

The affluenza made me do it
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Zelda Wiki Systems Administrator
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin ZW

View Posts: 1,049

I love XII. It has an amazing story, wonderful characters, and a GREAT combat system! The bazaar goods system is also great!
But the award for best story goes to VII. I laughed, I CRIED, I felt outrage, anger, happiness, awe, hate, and love. It is truly an amazing game...
As for X, I cried so hard in the ending...
But it pissed me off that they never called you Tidus. Yuna loves you but never says your name?! What the ****?! GOD!

Also a devout brony for life.
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 11:33 PM
RIP Satoshi Kon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
I love XII. It has an amazing story, wonderful characters, and a GREAT combat system! The bazaar goods system is also great!
But the award for best story goes to VII. I laughed, I CRIED, I felt outrage, anger, happiness, awe, hate, and love. It is truly an amazing game...
As for X, I cried so hard in the ending...
But it pissed me off that they never called you Tidus. Yuna loves you but never says your name?! What the ****?! GOD!
That's because you could name Tidus whatever you want. I still think that was a dumb move on Square's part, but oh well.

My RP character:
|Valdessia|
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Zelda Wiki Systems Administrator
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin ZW

View Posts: 1,049

I know that, but it still ****ed up the story. Why not make two dialogue versions in case you did or didn't name him Tidus?

Also a devout brony for life.
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2009, 02:10 AM
タイラー
Wii U ID: Shock-T 3DS ID: Shock-T
View Posts: 1,897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldoom View Post
FF8. Omg. what a freaken waste of pixels!!!!! That is all.
Why is it a waste of pixels? I loved this game, among other people.
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Spirit of Seasons
View Posts: 1,547

The battle for favorite has always between VIII, X and VI for me (and occasionally IX).

VIII
- Everything about this game, the architecture, the music, the junction system, etc., all of it came together to create a truly wholesome videogame world. That game's locations and overworld oozed this charismatic loneliness that appealed to the me that spent 50 hours inside the house running through it.

X/VI
- These two are great for the same reasons. They feature the best music the series has to offer, each has multiple scenes that you'll see in a Top 10 Most Memorable Videogame Moments thread, and they both have comprehensible and satisfying plots (something that can't be said for the rest of the series).

A little on VII
- I played VII when after it had already made its impact on the world but when I was still overly naive, and I honestly think it would be up there too if only (A.) I didn't get the big death scene spoiled for me everytime I was on the net, and (B.)I didn't run across the various Greatest Game of All Time: FF7 vs. OoT debates. I'll always take Zelda's side, so it's only natural that I'd feel spiteful towards it on my initial playthrough. So yeah, the Internet basically ruined FFVII for me.

One thing though: Midgar. It had the allure as the last bastion of a post-apocalyptic humanity, and while we were there, it worked. Problem was, it really wasn't. Outside its gates were a plethora of towns and ports. Hell, there was even a beach resort. Which all combined pretty much killed the whole daunting aura of the place and also sullied my playthrough the remaining discs as much as the Internet did.
Last Edited by Fenix Down; 06-29-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2009, 09:59 AM
I only know one spell
View Posts: 1,094

Final Fantasy Tactics is my absolute favorite. Too bad it isn't on the poll.

My favorite numbered Final Fantasy is X. I'm actually replaying the game now, and that's probably why it's my favorite. The graphics are pretty good for a PS2 game, the music is amazing, and the battles are insanely fun. The story is also so intriguing I want to keep learning more, as I've never actually completed the game completely, so I keep playing. It keeps me entertained for hours.
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2009, 11:19 AM
__
View Posts: 8,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andross View Post
FFVIII was a fine game. You must have not played it, or went in playing it with a bad mood.
I played it, and it was the first 3-d FF game I ever played, so I had no preconceptions of it.

And I thought it was pretty hideous overall.
Well... I liked the music.
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Fighter of the Nightman.
View Posts: 8,895

Quote:
Kefka definitely isn't the only villain in the series to take over the world and nearly destroy it.

But he's the only one to do it for ****s and giggles.
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2009, 12:54 PM
T.I.M.E.
View Posts: 3,545

Quote:
Be careful not to use the word "fantasy" like that, because they were, indeed, fantasy. They had magic, summons, swords, monsters, and all sorts of good stuff like that. To say that "fantasy" means "swords and sorcery" alone is to hold a very superficial definition of the term; fantasy can be futuristic or medieval. Another fine example of futuristic fantasy is Star Wars; sure, it has plenty of sci-fi elements, but the whole focus on the mystical "force"--as well as the appearance of ghosts at the end of the trilogy--makes it fantasy.
I know. Just sayin'. When it comes to Final Fantasy, I prefer the castles, dragons, kings, crystals, airships that look like boats, and all that good stuff.
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2009, 01:04 PM
RIP Satoshi Kon

Quote:
Not really. While he definitely was getting a kick out of it throughout the game, he wanted to take over the world and destroy its current state because he wanted to take over the world and destroy its current state; ultimately, despite his ca-razy personality, Kefka's intentions are similar to those of most power-hungry villains.

Alot like Ultimecia or Mateus.
Except Ultimecia and Mateus wanted to control the world, whereas Kefka wanted to destroy everything, much like Exdeath wanted. The key difference is that Kefka wanted to have some fun before destroying it.

My RP character:
|Valdessia|
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Sage of Wisdom

View Posts: 4,480

X for the battle system.

VII for the music.

VIII was alright.

XII is cool too. I still need to finish it.

I haven't played any of the others yet. D:
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Imaginary Light Imaginary Light is a female United States Imaginary Light is offline
There are plenty of fish in the sea. LOL jk, there's an oil spill.
Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light Send a message via Skype™ to Imaginary Light

View Posts: 1,785

The only FF game that I've played is VII, Dirge of Cerberus. I guess it's not part of the main series, but I love it. I want to get the rest of them.
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Nacho/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Nacho/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Nacho/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Tags
fantasy, favorite, final, game, main, series