Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 3,585
How many people notice the music?

Usually if it is my first time playing through and I'm in a battle for some reason my ears sort of close down and I can't hear the music and all I can pay attention to is what to do next finally my grip loosens and the next thing I hear is victory music... so has it ever happned to you? how often? Usually later I can hear it again and I can listen to all the joyus things.
Last Edited by jehuty; 04-13-2004 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-10-2004, 01:04 PM
?!מה פיתום
View Posts: 3,196
Re: How many people notice the music?

I'm actually quite the opposite. If there's a really good track, I'l often get lost in the music and forget to pay attention to the game, or pay little attention. Of course, if it's a very boring track, I might pay little attention to it.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Happily Married
View Posts: 1,112

Indeed, music is a critical element of games IMO. Think of what Zelda would be like, without its memorable music numbers? But if the music is boring, like Trico said, I'll tend to block it out. It really just depends on how good the song is.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-10-2004, 04:05 PM
Extollite Imperatorem!
Send a message via ICQ to Achirio Send a message via AIM to Achirio Send a message via Yahoo to Achirio
View Posts: 1,998

i pay ALOT of attention to the music. If the game has good music then i enjoy the game alot even if the game itself sucks.
Now if the game is good and also has great music, expect me to love, adore and probably golrify that game.
Examples of these games are castelvania: symphony of the nigth, prety much all the castlevania series, Grandia, Valkyrie profile, etc.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Light Spirit
Send a message via Skype™ to Jason
Steam ID: GoldenChaos Wii U ID: GoldenChaos 3DS ID: GoldenChaos

View Posts: 9,807

Oh, don't get me started on this. Music is a critical part of every action I take in video games and in the real world.

In my writing, I have actually gotten songs from various video games including Golden Sun's 1 and 2, TWW, OoT, MM, Sonic (multiple games), and more. Because video game music is made for almost every emotion, when I liten to a certain track or somg from the game, it can manipulate my mood into the choice of music I have picked, and alter the mood of my story dramtically. If I listen to a happy VG Song while trying to write a sad story, it just wouldn't work. The story would not come out how I want it to be.

When I wish to be in a certain mood, and there is nothing to play the music for me, I am a good singer, I hum it or sing it myself, it basically will sound no different than the music itself I want it to. Of course, it is not like I am a professional singer here, I love to sing, but I am not AMAZING. Hopefully, with much more practice, I can be. I have been singing practically since I was born.

When I draw, I listen to video game music for concentration, usually depressing VG Music, because people seem to be more concentrated when they are not happy or excited, at least I am more concentrated that way.

VG Music plays a big role in my life, I even just listen to it for fun, or because the song is good. AN example would be Dragon Roost, I listen to it because it is a good song, and I like the notes of it. I will listen to any song if the note or tune is enjoyable, even if you may think the band or song sucks. I listen to a certain Linkin Park song (Breaking the Habit), because IMO the notes in the song fit my liking very very well, I love the notes to that song, I even go around singing it. The song is all singing, it is probably one of the few Linkin Park songs that has no rap, or any relation to rap at all.

I definately drift off sometimes when I am playing a video game. In Golden Sun 1 when I got to Venus Lighthouse, I actually drifed away from the game, and litened to it with headphones for 3 hours straight. After it was over, I realized it had been 3 hours since I started listening to it, and I saved and turned off the game. I brought my gameboy to school just to listen to the Venus Lighthouse song. Of course I will drift away from a game, I do it all the time. Sometimes I go to Dragon Roost in TWW just to listen to the music. The music is probably one of my favorite parts of the video game, I have always drifted off, and probably always will, always singing and humming the songs I love so much from the video games I play so often.
Last Edited by Jason; 04-10-2004 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-10-2004, 06:03 PM
You are (not) alone.
View Posts: 2,204

I love listening to VG music as well. Until lately though I never really payed much attention to it. At the beginning of last year I went on a midi downloading spree and got all the midis for my many games

So, yeah, the music is a very important aspect of the game. If I don't notice it much at first then I 'll usually go and download it. Very soothing ^^;
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Knight of Skyloft
Send a message via AIM to Ascalion Send a message via Yahoo to Ascalion
View Posts: 807

I agree...I even went to make a Zelda CD with my favorite zelda themes (Ikana Castle is my favorite of all, though), but when I went to listen to it, it didn't work, then I remembered my burner can't record Windows Media Player...
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-10-2004, 10:12 PM
Classic Old School Action
Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzie
View Posts: 9,468

I always notice the music in the games I play... especially Zelda games, those games always have the best music...

FF also has some great music that is soothing and relaxing...

Without the music, the game would be boring, and have no life to it... and you wouldn't recognize stages when hearing the music... becuz I know I do lol
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2004, 04:57 AM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 86

I notice the music usually when I first enter a place and I notice whether or not it is good or bad too. If it's a good tune I might pay a bit more attention to the music, but usually after hearing the same rhythm repeating over and over again, I kinda forget it's there. Same tune gets old after a while..
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2004, 05:37 AM
Spirit of Seasons
View Posts: 1,815

I always notice the music, always..
Especially the LoZ and FF music is fantastic =)
Music is very important in a game since it sets the mood, heh I particularly like good battle music and boss music ^^

twitter | raptr
Signature made by Haret! :>
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2004, 05:51 AM
General of Darkness
View Posts: 196

I always listen to the music and when I like it I try to get the MP3 file.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Goron
View Posts: 300

Music is good and bad.

Good because is keeps you in the game.
Bad: GC is always humming it durning schools... SO ANNOYING!!

Thats all i think of music.

The past can hurt, but the way i see it, you can run from it, or learn from it! -lion king.
Fallen Skater for life!
Proud Member of the Nayru clan!
(sig made by GoldenChaos!)
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-12-2004, 04:09 PM
ZU's Tom Waits-obsessed
View Posts: 874

The music is half of the game. I go crazy after a while if I've been forced too turn off the music or sound at all.

Sig by uno; I was quite suprised when I saw that he took my request seriously...
*huggles uno*
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Divine Dragoon
Steam ID: CodyDaviesTV Wii U ID: DragoonCody

View Posts: 14,965

Yeah... I never turn the music off unless I ahve to

#15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Goron
View Posts: 269

yea man music is essintial. i was playin the fire temple the other day with the chanting in the music. i was thinking about version 1.2 and they took the chanting out and the music would be horrible without it.

Tags
music, notice, people