Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-25-2009, 08:56 PM
You just smile and act natural, and then you sucker-punch him.
View Posts: 1,090
Re: Defensive Gamers Ruin Gaming.

I'm a recovering Sony fan boy...
I'm pretty sure a lot of you know that, but I'm getting better in my ways.
I do understand the flaws of each system, and all that. I own a PS3/Wii and they are both good for different reasons... Now the 360 is pretty cool, they get some good games! I've always wanted to play Fable! That game looks sick, but I would never buy a system for just one game! Haha
Though I'm getting much better so I guess now I can say... Fanboys like I was are annoying... But I think each system has extremists who will... perform ritual suicide?
XD

“To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe”
--Jerry Garcia
Last Edited by AMP1317; 02-25-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-25-2009, 10:28 PM
__
View Posts: 8,498

I don't think being defensive is bad... I think being downright blind and overly defensive is bad.

Declaring oneself a "fanboy" to a console is downright stupid. I've been a Nintendo fan for pretty much the entirety of my gaming experience-- a Nintendo fan. I love Nintendo games. And, while I don't always agree with some people's attitudes towards the gaming industry ("make it bloodier and more HD to make it better!"), I don't blast Sony or Microsoft for it. Either that, or I blast all three for their stupid mistakes, being half-serious. I can easily see that the Wii is loaded with crap, but in all honesty, no matter what people say about it, there are great games on it. Same as with any other system (they just have less crap to sift through).

So yeah, ignoring fanboys is pretty easy to me. I don't see why people get worked up so much over things like that. What's wrong with a retort like, "okay, sure", and leaving it at that? You know they aren't going to engage you in a real discussion anyway.
Last Edited by GooeyKablooie; 02-25-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-25-2009, 11:35 PM
The "he" in Catastrophe
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Wii U ID: 80espiay

View Posts: 14,331

I attempt to not be a fanboy, but sometimes at school, since the Wii is so underrated where I'm from (I mean, one of the people who I hang around with is a major PS3-fanboy-anti-Wii, and he doesn't even have a PS3), it just slips out. Then I attempt to fix it (but only end up making it worse) by trying to argue against them in a more structured and less fanboyish way.

Then, when I begin to come to my senses, I really try to fix it by playing the "its all opinon, you can like whatever you like" card. But by then it's too late. The damage has already been done.

This happens every couple days/weeks.

A Fedora || "Rex" || Bored? || PM me to join the Mario Kart 8/Smash Bros. Skype group
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2009, 12:28 AM
HARK HARK
Wii U ID: Dr-Reggie (PM me first) 3DS ID: 3153-4263-2807 (PM me first)
View Posts: 7,261

While I'll admit that I am a little defensive towards Nintendo, after all it's pretty much been my entire childhood and I'm not willing to give that up anytime soon. Sure I have lost a friend over it, but I still don't view myself as a fangirl-fangirl. I mean, I own a360 and see the advantages and disadvantages of both consoles.

I'm probably going to be flamed saying that, but oh well.

[Art Thread] [Tumblr][Sig by .Hog]
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2009, 01:36 AM
Twili
View Posts: 476

I consider myself a causal gamer. I bought a Wii because I love Nintendo & I wanted Twilight Princess.
I don't like to get into discussion about videogames with some people cause they automatically assume i'm hardcore. They start listing off all the reasons why my Wii sucks & that I should get an XBox or a Ps3. Its annoying. I usually say I don't care (cause I don't) but even that doesn't work with the crazy fanboys.
My brother is a hardcore gamer but he respects my choice for choosing the Wii. He'll even defend it for me if he has too (He has all great knowledge about the gaming world )
I have been thinking about getting an 360 for Fable 2. And possibly Dead or Alive 4. No other big reason. I have no urge to get any Playstation because I have yet to see a game that I would like. I tried playing Final Fantasy & that didn't work out so well. My boyfriend has a Ps2. I play Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. That's about it for me.

Rest in Peace Michael Jackson
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2009, 01:48 AM
Tribunal Power Tribunal Power is a male United States Tribunal Power is offline
Zora Warrior
Send a message via AIM to Tribunal Power Send a message via Yahoo to Tribunal Power
View Posts: 312

I have been a Nintendo fan since I first picked up the rectangular controller and played LoZ while my brother went to the bathroom. I was four years old, and I've been a Nintendo loyalist ever since.

Until lately. Yes, I owned a PSX, and yes, I played PC games, but I always loved my N64 like a family member. But since the boys at Nintendo have clearly lost their minds, my new affection is for my 360, and it dwarfs the love I had for any other system ever before.

I understand that Microsoft is an evil corporation, clearly one of the 'bad guys' in the world today (a member of the Axis of Evil Corporations, or AEC, along with Walmart and Disney). Originally, Nintendo was one of the 'good guys.' But now, Nintendo is that retired adventurer who lives in the mountains playing an out-of-tune banjo and drawing creepy pictures of a crudely-painted lizard. They're freaking insane, and I don't approve.

Of course, they won't change a damn thing because they're making millions on their newfound madness. So, as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft, evil as it is, is my new knight in shining armor. So when the AEC goes to war with the world, I'll be flying the Windows flag. And when it breaks down into a civil war between Disney, Microsoft, and Walmart, I'll be weilding the rifle of Bill Gates. And when the world collabses in the nuclear fallout that washes over the world after the three corporations destroy each other, my filthy tomb will be located in the William Gates Cemetary, where the soldiers who died in his service rest eternally.

No, I'm not a fanboy, but I know the best when I see it, and in my opinion, the 360 is currently the best. I'm pissed at Nintendo because they've given me nothing to do, and I would regret spending $250 on their console if it weren't for SSB Brawl. The PS3 is probably a good buy, but I'd rather spend $400 on several 360 games than for a system that doesn't really have much I'm interested in. The Wii and the PS3 both have some very nice features. but the 360 is my main fix.

/end rant

Top 10 Greatest Games Ever Made (and the Runner Up!)
Sathis Hlaalu, Mathias Blackharrow,
Acthaiyne Sleavuunsu, Charles Demont
MV Maru Harvuson and the NNR Harkonav
RP Cartography
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2009, 01:50 AM
DIE THE DEATH! SENTANCE TO DEATH! GREAT EQUALIZER IS DEATH!
Send a message via Skype™ to Snow_Storm
Steam ID: the_snow_storm
View Posts: 9,465

You do know that these companies don't care about you being fanboys, right?

The affluenza made me do it
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2009, 01:50 AM
CONSTANT VIGILANCE
Send a message via AIM to Abyss Master Send a message via Skype™ to Abyss Master
Steam ID: AbyssMaster91 Wii U ID: TomOlav
View Posts: 4,965

I love "defensive fanboys" as people call them. Maybe even moreso than "offensive fanboys", who is directly opposite in their quest for ultimate fanboyism - praise their console of choice by attacking another console. I've seen the PS3 been attacked in this way a lot by 360 fans, and the 360 likewise by PS3 fans, and it's just too fun. The extents to which someone will take their passion for gaming are astounding.

But don't be fooled, most people (around here anyways) aren't what I'd put under neither defensive or offensive (unless someone has a some kind of deep hatred for a console because of what it is and what you don't like about it, in which case I will make sure to ignore their whiny *****ing). We're not lacking any in common sense, are we?
Last Edited by Abyss Master; 02-26-2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2009, 03:14 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Xeno

View Posts: 20,830

So the opinionated input of asinine minorities who hold no bearing on anything affects your own, personal opinion?

You do realize all three companies have idiotic fanboys, correct? If you can look past Microsoft's fanbase and especially Nintendo's fanbase, I can't possibly come to think that you couldn't somehow overcome Sony's fanbase.
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2009, 07:49 AM
DIE THE DEATH! SENTANCE TO DEATH! GREAT EQUALIZER IS DEATH!
Send a message via Skype™ to Snow_Storm
Steam ID: the_snow_storm
View Posts: 9,465

I think Nintendo Fanboys are the worst of the bunch because of immaturity, high hopes, and they get truly angry.

The affluenza made me do it
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Fab Emblem
View Posts: 12,264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight~09 View Post
I got an idea:

Ignore the fanboys and their stupid comments
Play the games you want to play, ones that you like and enjoy playing

Ignoring the whole situation should eliminate the whole "fanyboys ruining your gaming experience" thing.

Worked for me.
I agree with this. I excluded myself from this mess a long time ago.
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-26-2009, 10:12 AM
KarmaKhameleon KarmaKhameleon is a female United States KarmaKhameleon is offline
Does this username make me look fat?
Send a message via Skype™ to KarmaKhameleon

View Posts: 10,011

Well not everyone's the same, of course. You can take a little defensive criticism to heart, but I'd say anything from someone who idolizes [insert company/consoles/game/etc. here] you should take with a grain of salt. I wonder why they idolize so much in the first place. Just from first experiences? Never having the option of playing others? Pure stubborness?
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2009, 11:29 AM
baka.
View Posts: 8,433

See, I come from /v/. When I see a console war going on, I just tune it out, say 'trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls' and have my own damn opinion, thank you.
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Spirit of Seasons
Steam ID: sotiriscs
View Posts: 1,858

What people don't understand is that gaming is a hobby. I don't understand why anyone would be "loyal" to one company, why they wouldn't just choose what really is most appealing to them. Why do people take sides? Why do people choose their console and try to convince everyone it is the best? Is it so they can convince themselves they made the right choice? 'Cause, even if you do manage to convince a person on the internet that the PS3 is better than the 360 is, what good will you have done to you, except satisfy your ego for maybe 5 minutes?

I never was a Nintendo fanboy, but I was always mistaken for one in real life, because everyone had a PS/PS2 and would pick on me for having an N64/GC and I would, obviously, defend my choice with proper justification. They were the fanboys, buying Sony's consoles with the only exclusives they ever played being GoW and GT4, and completely ignoring the existence of Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Xenosaga and others.
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Whore
Send a message via Yahoo to Acid
View Posts: 3,721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotiris View Post
What people don't understand is that gaming is a hobby. I don't understand why anyone would be "loyal" to one company, why they wouldn't just choose what really is most appealing to them. Why do people take sides? Why do people choose their console and try to convince everyone it is the best? Is it so they can convince themselves they made the right choice? 'Cause, even if you do manage to convince a person on the internet that the PS3 is better than the 360 is, what good will you have done to you, except satisfy your ego for maybe 5 minutes?
Well, I was brought up playing Nintendo (SNES if you want to be specific) and then I got a 64 for christmas one year, and a gamecube a few christmas' later. I didn't choose them, but Nintendo was all I knew in gaming then. Then when someone says "Nintendo is so ****in gay" you are bound to have some negative feelings. Or I was.

[Sig by Liah]

#36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Spirit of Seasons
Steam ID: sotiriscs
View Posts: 1,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid View Post
Well, I was brought up playing Nintendo (SNES if you want to be specific) and then I got a 64 for christmas one year, and a gamecube a few christmas' later. I didn't choose them, but Nintendo was all I knew in gaming then. Then when someone says "Nintendo is so ****in gay" you are bound to have some negative feelings. Or I was.
I totally understand you, however your stance could be attributed to ignorance.

When somebody says "Nintendo is so ****in gay" to me, I jump into full defense mode. I kick the other guy's ass with logic and good points, proving that Nintendo isn't gay. I insist I am not a fanboy, but I can't stand such foolishly made foolish remarks by foolish fools.

Kudos to everyone who gets the reference to a certain DS game.

Tags
defensive, gamers, gaming, ruin