Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 28
Girl Gamers

I've noticed in my life as a gamer--which has been almost all of my near sixteen years--I've been treated differently simply because my my gender.

I'm just a bit curious as to why people assume that we only want to play Hannah Montana or Bratz games, or interactive baby sitting, pet playing sims. Why can't a girl love games like LoZ or Fire Emblem? Why can't a girl flatten a boy in Brawl?

That's not to say that we can't, but I've had friends of mine underestimate my skills as my Ninja Toon Link on Brawl and lose within seconds of a stock match's start. That and they seem rather surprised when I can get through several chapters of any given Fire Emblem game without losing a single unit.

So tell me, am I the only one who notices this, and for the guys, though you may not shuffle us girls into stereotypical shelves, why do you think people think that way?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-02-2008, 08:54 PM
:coffee:

View Posts: 18,006
Re: Girl Gamers

I have yet to encounter such a stereotype.

Most of the guys I'm friends with, always go on about how I'd be able to flatten them in any game. They even warn others.

rofl. So, I can't really relate, although I do know that you're talking about, and I've seen it done to others - just not myself.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-02-2008, 09:01 PM
CourageWielder CourageWielder is a female United States CourageWielder is offline
What do you know? It DOES fetch...
Send a message via Skype™ to CourageWielder
Steam ID: Anna Valente Wii U ID: CourageWielder
View Posts: 6,953

Happens to me all the time. They all take one look at me and think I'll like Hannah Montana, or Bratz. They'll come over to my house to hang out with my parents and find me pulverizing three random people on the WiFi, staring at me like I'm dumb. It gets annoying, that stereotype.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Deku Scrub

See, it kind of goes back and forth, I have a few friends who respect my taste for games, but a few who think I should be all powder puff pink fuzzy kittens of cuteness.

Though, I don't really mind that kind of stuff, I wish that the game makers and retailers stopped trying to make it seem like that all that we'll like.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-02-2008, 09:34 PM
baka.
View Posts: 8,433

I've encountered the stereotype at times, and I don't really give a ****. People ask me why I don't play the Hannah Montana/Bratz games and I tell them because that isn't my genre, and they get over it.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-02-2008, 09:42 PM
peanutbutterman peanutbutterman is a male United States peanutbutterman is offline
Foosball Champion
View Posts: 2,083

Yeah, I've seen discrimanation. Does because someone's a girl doesn't mean they can't play games like GTA.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Im too young to worry.
View Posts: 235

Not flaming but you should've put this under the thread of stereotypes to discuss it.

I was a young boy who had big plans, now im just a *****ty old man.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
View Posts: 8,349

My opinion on this is basically the same as the majority of the Chon.

Can girls play games? Yes, obviously. Can girls have good taste in games? Yes. Can girls be good at games. Another yes.

However, I'm pretty tired of the "YES, I'M A GIRL AND I PLAY GAMES. ISN'T THAT CRAZY? I'M A HARDCORE GAMER TOO I COULD DESTROY ANY BOY IN A HALO MATCH **** YEAR"

Seriously, shut the **** up. There's nothing special about being a girl and playing games, and by acting like you're somehow special because of it you only strengthen the stereotype that girls can't have good taste in games. (as you provide yourself as the exception, rather than the standard)

This also operates on the assumption that all men hold said stereotype to be true, which is, in itself, a stereotype.

I'm not saying that you're doing this, I'm just saying the stereotype goes both ways, and they're both just as annoying.
Last Edited by 8bit; 12-02-2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-02-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm stronger now, I'm ready for the house, such a modest mouse
Send a message via Skype™ to Michael
View Posts: 3,960

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post

Can girls play games? Yes, obviously. Can girls have good taste in games? Yes. Can girls be good at games. Another yes.

However, I'm pretty tired of the "YES, I'M A GIRL AND I PLAY GAMES. ISN'T THAT CRAZY? I'M A HARDCORE GAMER TOO I COULD DESTROY ANY BOY IN A HALO MATCH **** YEAR"

Seriously, shut the **** up. There's nothing special about being a girl and playing games, and by acting like you're somehow special because of it you only strengthen the stereotype that girls can't have good taste in games. (as you provide yourself as the exception, rather than the standard)

This also operates on the assumption that all men hold said stereotype to be true, which is, in itself, a stereotype.

I'm not saying that you're doing this, I'm just saying the stereotype goes both ways, and they're both just as annoying.
You've pretty much summed up my views on it.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Banned User
View Posts: 30,586

Yep, I've been underestimated at times too, but not a lot because I don't really play with anyone at home or in person except for my little brother and he doesn't understand a thing about this. And while I admit I do like some simulation games and I've played Nintendogs, they by far not my favorite genre.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-02-2008, 11:18 PM
View Posts: 3,400

Quote:

Get the message ladies.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 PM
DIE THE DEATH! SENTANCE TO DEATH! GREAT EQUALIZER IS DEATH!
Send a message via Skype™ to Snow_Storm
Steam ID: the_snow_storm
View Posts: 9,465

Here's what I think about gender in video games: I don't give a ****. Why should I judge or harass you, a fine lady while we're playing video games just because you have a vagina and I have a penis? Seriously, what's the deal? So she's a female gamer, so what!

The affluenza made me do it
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Deku Scrub

Quote:

You know, I'm perfectly aware of that fact, my friend, and I don't go around flaunting my gamerness, and I only wish that I could consider myself a hardcore gamer. I'm not saying that all men think the same way, assuming that a gender decides tastes and interests, I am merely speaking my experience, which has been a diverse mix of both exeptence and skeptisism.

I also know that girl gamers are not rare at all, and are more often treated no differntly than those of the opposite gender. This, in fact, is merely an inqiury of those very few who choose to fit themselves into the stereotype of boy and girl games. Stereotypes don't usually have that many people who actually fall into those categories, but the ones that do tend to strenghthen other's veiw of their status.

Perhaps I do fall into a stereotpe catagory, but then again, who doesn't? Perhaps I'ma hipocrite, but again, who hasn't said one thing but done another?
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 PM
There is no such thing as innocence. Only degrees of guilt.
Steam ID: The Arbitrator
View Posts: 9,232

I love how ronery virgins make such a big deal out of girls who play videogames. Like that'll honestly help them get laid with that sort of attitude.

So yeah, I don't treat girls who play games differently at all. People have hobbies, videogaming is a hobby, should someone of the female persuasion end up having such a hobby, it is simply common ground. That is all.

"Even should the heavens fall, let Justice prevail."
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2008, 12:20 AM
broken
View Posts: 1,784

I don't hold this stereotype, but at the same time, I've only met one chick in real life who plays video games as a regular/semi-regular hobby. Of all my female friends (and I have plenty, I assure you), most have done some video gaming at one point in time, but never kept it up. And I'm sure there are some who have done no video gaming at all.

#16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Adm Manhammer Adm Manhammer is a male United Kingdom Adm Manhammer is offline
Alpha Male
View Posts: 9,870

I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised when I lost a game of SSBM last year (my first loss in over three months) and discovered that the one responsible was a girl. Most of my friends seem to think of girl gamers as a novelty, and constantly joke about their perceived lack of skill. I just sit back and laugh while those same friends get thrashed by the girls they previously mocked.

Days since last signature update: 0
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Royal Hylian
View Posts: 939

I wouldn't treat a girl differently because she has a "hardcore" taste in video games, but notice that I said "wouldn't" and not "don't". Why? Because my entire city must have some stupid law where STEREOTYPES HAVE TO BE LEGAL!

I'm not only sick and tired of female gamers being treated like something different because of their taste in games, but I'm sick and tired of my entire city being populated with wannabe blondes (because they all dye their hair blonde at least once, especially when their hair was better before), pink-wearing, make-up abusing, JB listening, MTV watching pansie-assed girls! NOT ONCE have I met a girl whose hardcore game experience was not Guitar Hero.

If I met one of you girls, I would definitely fall on my knees and be bowing down to you and kiss your feet, because it would be the equivalent of seeing God.
Last Edited by Gwynnbleid; 12-03-2008 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Living so free is a tragedy when you can't be what you want to be
View Posts: 11,087

I don't discriminate, but it's fun to play with someone with the opposite sex. You can get an ocassional flirt from me now and then, like a typical "Hellooooo Nurse". They're still gamers, only most likely prettier.
However, there are morons out there who try to harass them and make sexual jokes on them. Speak none from me: I respect girls. I am a gentleman after all.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2008, 08:45 AM
The fruit of their lions
View Posts: 1,752

Hmm, I don't really get what all the fuss is about with girl gamers. I mean, I'm female and I've been playing video games for years and years, so I've grown up enjoying them. I've always played with my dad and brother, and when I was old enough, started playing and completing video games by myself. Since I've been playing from such a young age, I'm quite familar with most games and consoles so I never saw what all the fuss was about. Always been very thankful to my family for raising myself and my brother the same, without treating us differently because of our genders. What was good enough for him was good enough for me too, so we were both allowed to play games and do what we liked as long as our school work didn't suffer. :q

I don't think girl gamers are any better at video games than guy gamers or any more special. Sure, it was considered more of a 'boy' thing years ago, but socially attitudes have changed since then and girl gamers are becoming more and more common. If you've been playing games for a long time and you enjoy them, you're more likely to keep on playing also, especially if other members in your family play also. Nothing like family competitions and sibling rivalry to fan the gaming urge.

Still, I don't play too many games now, at least not as many as I used to, lthough it's more of a lazy 'I'm grown up, I've got other things to do and worry about' thing than having less desire to play. It's still a regular hobby and I've started playing Oblivion (Elder Scrolls 4) once again. Absolutely hilarious stuff, although I'm trying to mod/patch the thing. It's difficult when playing via a slightly different method (Olblivion patch) as my laptop wouldn't be able to handle the game otherwise. I mostly like RPG's, like Final Fantasy, Morrowind/Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights, although I won't say no to other kinds such as Survival Horror, Platformers, Shoot 'em ups, racing and whatever else. 'Girlie' games like Bratz and Barbie can go rot for all I care, no substance or style in those games at all.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 318

Why would girls love bad games? Seriously, I have never seen a good Bratz game or something.
It's good to see that there are lots of gaming girls, gender diversion is great IMO.
And with the Wii and DS, tons and tons of girls were introduced to gaming. For example, in Japan more females own a DS than males.
Now those girls obviously belong to the expanded audience, but as I've stated before, there doesn't need to be some kind of expanded audience-core apartheid.

If some of those new girl gamers turn out to be able to become part of the core, too, I think that's even greater. Those gamers who climb the hill and turn into passionate gamers are the ones we are going to meet on forums like this one in five years or so.
It'd result in some great stories... ''I played Nintendogs 3 years ago and now I spend over $600 a year on games''...
Believe it!

Tags
boys, gamers, girl, girls, stereotypes